All Comments on 'Amarillo'

by chas4455

Sort by:
  • 66 Comments
TajfaTajfa7 months ago

Well written but what are we meant to take from this? His wife cheated, his second wife sadly died, his family were doing well. He worked a lot. Just not sure .

3 for good writing.

Boyd PercyBoyd Percy7 months ago

Good story! Could use a follow up.

5

afanoffanlitafanoffanlit7 months ago

I wanted to hear just how bad the cheating first wife's life had turned out to be....3 marriages in 10 years kind of sums it up, doesn't it. Well written!!

KinPAKinPA7 months ago

At least he didn’t have a dog that died on him…just heartbreaking. Needs a part 2 to give him a happy future.

johntcookseyjohntcooksey7 months ago

‘Some of its magic, some of it’s tragic, but I had a good life all the way’, to quote the late great Jimmy Buffett from ‘He went to Paris’. A compelling story. Thanks very much.

SplitGeode66SplitGeode667 months ago

A well-written story, but where is the ending? 4 stars.

GamblnluckGamblnluck7 months ago

Very nice story. It ends at just the right spot. Sometimes you don't need that happy ending or to tie up all the loose ends.The one thing that I thought odd was why he never had a kid with Connie. She was in her prime.

northstanderrhinonorthstanderrhino7 months ago

Very well written, would have liked to read a bit more about his life going forward.

WisquejacWisquejac7 months ago

Needs more. Thanks liked it.

lc69hunterlc69hunter7 months ago

This needs another chapter

ScorpioJJScorpioJJ7 months ago

I'm sure I have read this before...Good story but a reissue?

SkubabillSkubabill7 months ago

I agree with Tajfa, a good story well written but what was the point? The way you described Connie's last night was very similar to my wife's and did bring tears to my eyes. Four stars.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

An outline for a much longer story that could have been quite good. As it stands, there is no real story here; just quick sketches with no depth of character, no real dialogue, and of course, no ending. I didn't score it,but if you are planning a sequel and intend it to be as much of an unformed blob as this one is, give your readers a warning.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

A lead in but no story!

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Good start but a lot of the story remains untold. 4

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Boring

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

The Story, albeit well written, suddenly fell off a cliff.

Are we to assume this is to continue as I quite liked the main character.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

well, since there wasn't any mention of a part 2. I had to judge this as a stand alone story. With that in mind, I really didn't see much point to it other than to show how crappy a guys life could be. Sorry, this wasn't worth reading for me.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Needs an ending, otherwise a good story 4****

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Good story. I have not been able to wear cowboy boots for about 25 years, so Tony Lama may have changed. When did they start making shirts?

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

It doesn't need anymore.

Bad things happen to good people too.

He just picked up his feet and kept moving. He'll see Connie again someday.

On the other hand, Lucy won't ever get to see her children or grandchildren again, and that's all she deserves. That'll burn. It has to.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

@Tajfa,

It's called life. You live it. You do the best you can. The ex-wife exiled herself, but the rest of them were just honorable people, marching on.

He'll still have family and friends when he returns again. He may have lost Connie, but he never lost her love. Sometimes things like that just can't be helped.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

You’ve got a long road ahead of you. I like this as an introduction, but I’ll be disappointed if it is all there is.

StrandsailorStrandsailor7 months ago

I thought that this was a repeat of another story until I read on and discovered a masterful piece of writing. Not overly dramatic, no insane rage, just a man putting his head down and getting on with life. Well done.

ImNotanAnonImNotanAnon7 months ago

Was there supposed to be more? It was a good story, but it felt like you forgot to turn the stove off and just got up and stopped writing.

Lowrider2020Lowrider20207 months ago

Needs an ending,

OldbuddyOldbuddy7 months ago

Either too long or too short.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Nice. I was hoping the main character would refuse the job at the end, and stay home with the grandkids.

ker63469ker634697 months ago

I agree with others needs another chapter

AnotherChapterAnotherChapter7 months ago

Where was this supposed to go? It all seemed a bit disjointed and fragmented with no ending.

Demosthenes384bcDemosthenes384bc7 months ago

WTH? Great writing and the story and characters sucked me in, but I have no idea where you left us? 4.1*

SomeOneTwoThreeSomeOneTwoThree7 months ago

A good story.

I agree that the ending was strange.

The story follows such a big part of the MC's life.

Why not take it a little further?

Him starting thinking about retiremet

would fit well as an ending.

Still, I enjoyed this interesting story

and thank the writer.

Top ratings from me.

Rocky62Rocky627 months ago

Well dammit poor Connie! Our hero deserves a woman and it seems a good woman deserves a godd standup guy like him. Connie got a cousin? Horse vet got a hot widowed mom? Rig chopper pilot is an ex army chooper pilot lookkin for a ranch with a man no where near the arctic ocean

BoringOldGuyBoringOldGuy7 months ago

WTF - where is the rest on this story. Please tell us the next chapter is coming soon.

miket0422miket04227 months ago

Good story right up til the point it ended. Seemed like a partial story at that point.

Being on the rodeo circuit at the time he really should have known better than to marry a barrel racer. The general consensus seems to be they're sluts.

BlackJackSteeleBlackJackSteele7 months ago

Well written.

Well plotted.

And, going by the comments, you've got the, "Leave the reader wanting more", down pat.

Well done.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

What was this story supposed to be about? It read more like a phone book. No emotion, no real conflict, nothing to grab your interest. Ho hum, people come, people go.

ribnitinribnitin7 months ago

No tension, just a recounting of a series of events

nixroxnixrox7 months ago

3 stars for this story - not much to it.

Needed more tags - like CHEATER, or desertion, or skanky, slut etc., etc.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

WTF

TrustingagainTrustingagain7 months ago

I assume there is more coming to this story.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

WTF? is that where is was meant to end? If it was a decent story that would have got 4* gets 2*

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

I really enjoyed this story. Compelling story line, and very well-written. Five stars ⭐️ for this one.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

When you write a Texas story, you need to finish it there as well. To do justice to a nice piece of writing, something significant needs to come out of his six months in Alaska. When you find that and complete the tale, you will have a solid 5 star work.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

So the first wife is exiled, leaves her kids behind and moves back home. No grandparent would be okay with that.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Sorry, but that was a rather disjointed mess and not really a Loving Wives story.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Too much stuff and not enough people. Yeah, we got names and what they did, who they were fucking, etc. but we never got to understand how and why his first wife became such a whore. And what kind of relationship did the whore's children have with her? What you included was more like a report than a story. Who married whom, what work was done where, how kids grew up and what jobs they had. Was this some kind of documentary? We got almost Nothing from anyone in this story, like they were just props, including the wives. Just very shallow and bland. Better luck with future work.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Well done. It felt a bit like a Stephen King short story minus the supernatural part.

bhill8671bhill86717 months ago
It's incomplete.

That was a silly place and way to end it.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Well written but sadly the truth of everyday life.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Wow , a cheating wife is one thing but leaving her kids behind seems a stretch. And he has a young girl who adores him waiting in the wings. You wrote it.

26thNC26thNC7 months ago

You made me angry, happy, sad, and then you cut me off. Love your writing, but want more.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

An excellent start. I am looking forward to subsequent chapters.

NitpicNitpic7 months ago
Me

Me, left like this it is a nothing story.

xtc5xtc57 months ago

This is part or chapter 1 right?

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

I'll withhold a score for now. Good start, but incomplete

enderlocke77enderlocke777 months ago

Interesting format liked it. As for more I have to think thats it. I mean the guy is old probably died on that last work trip. Y'all want the whole thing where he goes to work comes back goes to work again comes back then dies of old age the end.

enderlocke77enderlocke777 months ago

As for the first wife leaving her kids. The context I got from what the author wrote about her was that she loved horse more than the ppl around her. As written, she did take her horse

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Good story. Definitely got his west Texas cred. Justin/Stetson is a little cliché, but he'd haf' ta explain Nocona/Resistol!

dgfergiedgfergie7 months ago

Our author told a good story and liked his style it moved right along, sad, happy and cheating wife, the his true love dies. Pretty much my same story. Married cause she was pregnant, two kids lasted 13 years she started going out by herself. Shortly after that divorced and married a friend of mine, NOT! Met a married a good woman with 4 kids. lasted almost 40 years. She got sick and died in bed next to me. End of story. Just like our MC in this story, too old to move on, just waiting around to die.

rbloch66rbloch667 months ago

With the way you left it, I assume you’ll be adding chapters. If not, then you’ve written a pretty good story with a woefully inadequate ending.

NitpicNitpic6 months ago
Where

Where is the rest?

XluckyleeXluckylee6 months ago

4 stars from Xluckylee. Needs more for a 5

inka2222inka22223 months ago

On one hand, it's well written. On the other hand, of the 3 cheating wives, one fully escaped any justice or karma; and of the 3 men, only one had a decent life after and even that was cut short. Too depressing and not enough karma for the 3rd cheating wife to give this full 5 stars, so 4 it is.

ncdeepdiverncdeepdiver27 days ago

Will there be an actual ending coming in the future?

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userchas4455@chas4455
Thank you for constructive comments. I'm working on editing some of my existing stories and then adding some new ones I've been working on. "Spring of 45" is the first edit I've submitted. If that works I have some others in mind.

story TAGS