All Comments on 'Amber from Marketing, Domestic Nirvana'

by WaxPhilosophic

Sort by:
  • 17 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago

I was thinking about what makes your "slice of life" stories so enjoyable to me (aside from the obvious, which is that your writing style is great), and this is at the heart of it for me:

Because the stories are often fairly short, your protagonists need a lot of personality to feel individual and original. And what I love about your writing is how they still never feel just like personified singular personality traits, but like real people. That strikes me as a really hard balance to find, and you continue to nail it. Take Amber: She could very easily be little more than the personification of "bubbly", or of her bipolar disorder, but she never feels like it.

MaonaighMaonaighalmost 4 years ago
Revelations

You've surpassed yourself with this one, Wax. A brilliant mixture of humour and the revelations leading to drama with poor little Amber's secret revealed. You can't stop here---Amber and Dani deserve everything your imagination can create for them.

Candy_Kane54Candy_Kane54almost 4 years ago

I want to rent a room.

LilyVonSchtuppLilyVonSchtuppalmost 4 years ago
Surprised

Wow, I did not see that coming. I really like it. It makes Amber even more adorable when you find out she's human after all. These two are rapidly becoming one of my favorite couples. I certainly hope you continue the Amber series. I know it's a slice of like one, but I wouldn't say no to a full length story with Amber and Daniii.

Thank you for sharing with us.

WaxPhilosophicWaxPhilosophicalmost 4 years agoAuthor
Thanks everyone

I appreciate the comments and all the people who put this story on their list of favorites. I know it's Amber's name in the title, but I think this is a story where Dani really shines. I'll definitely consider a longer tale with the two of them... once they tell me what they're up to.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago

its cute, light, funy romance story. i hope thers more about amber from marketing.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Didn't see that coming

It was a good surprise. I agree with the previous commenter, now it feels more as if she is a human too. It's a sweet little story, so I guess the depressive phase was not a severe one. But speaking from my personal experience living with a person with bipolar, the depressive episode can be very severe, especially after a very high manic episode and the crash can last for a few day or more.

WisheswerehorsesWisheswerehorsesalmost 4 years ago
WOW

Just tons of fun. Sweetness and heat. So beautifully written. Wow (again).

steeltiger01steeltiger01almost 4 years ago

True love.

That's what love does, what it is. We connect to keep each other whole, to care for and take care of each other.

Beautiful, thank you.

jenorma2012jenorma2012almost 4 years ago

not bad, I am starting to enjoy these two and hope there is more to come

WaxPhilosophicWaxPhilosophicalmost 4 years agoAuthor
Dear Anon "Didn't See That Coming"

In truth, Dani (our narrator) didn't see it coming either.* She had always thought Amber was a little hyper, but compared to Dani's laid back attitude, that assessment probably includes 90% of the population. Amber's medication keeps her on an even keel. Then the stress of the pandemic, combined with not taking her meds, pushes her out of whack. I agree, the girl's gonna crash. I imagine some sick days and Dani playing nurse for a while. Dani has a kind heart and seems like she's in it for the long term.

* Note to aspiring authors:

This surprise only works because the story is told from Dani's point of view, and Dani didn't know. If the story were in third person omniscient (the all-seeing narrator) and I had withheld the secret from you, millions of writing teachers would be screaming and calling me rude names. If you write in third person omniscient, don't do this. The definition of omniscient is all-knowing. If you know something important, but don't tell, that's called being a jerk.

Bleep735Bleep735almost 4 years ago

There you go, dropping a load of reality into a cute sexy romp and making it mean so much more. Thank you for writing this as the whole series.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
So Smart

I find that my favorite stories contain smart writing that isn't obvious. A perfect example is the set up for the reveal of Ambers bipolar specialness. ( I will refuse to call it a mental illness from this day forward.) You handled the foreshadowing in such a clever manner, disguising her bipolarity by presenting her as a caricature of a perky do-gooder stereotype. She was so over the top that the story seemed to be a bit farcical at times, but you always hinted that Amber had secrets which added mystery to the mix. ( Farce and mystery are a very potent mix.) The dry humor that Dani provides, via the self dialog in her head, set her up as the straight man( or woman in this case ) to Ambers antics, and also provided insightful musings about how she perceived her coworker / girlfriend and her unique personality..Finally you camouflaged the dramatic reveal even more by having Amber and Dani say the three little words, which screamed RomCom.

Then this chapter happened.

I'll admit I was a little confused and irritated by the early morning interaction, and thought to myself " Oh boy " this isn't going to work out. How the hell is Dani going to deal with Hurricane Amber every day if this is her typical morning routine?? The ominous failed sex scene was unbelievably disconcerting and I knew when the action resumed in the bedroom something major was going to be revealed. What I didn't know, was how beautifully the scene would unfold. When Dani simply kept repeating "I love you" as Amber tried to apologize for being a wonderful person even in her moment of total vulnerability it was too much for me. I couldn't read anymore for a while because something was in my eye. When I did compose myself and clear my vision, I finished the chapter secure in the knowledge that Dani would always be there for Amber, and Amber would always keep Dani's life incredibly interesting. ( Of course Amber always knew that, because she can read Dani's mind ). 😃

I give this story all the stars in the sky.

WaxPhilosophicWaxPhilosophicalmost 4 years agoAuthor
Dear Anonymous "So Smart"

Thank you so much for your wonderful review of the story. Had you left your name on the comment, you would be on Amber and Dani's Christmas card list for sure. :-)

stroudlestroudlealmost 4 years ago
Top of your game

Wowzer, i love how you have brought the series together with this chapter. Amber's manic state makes so much sense and you wrote it like you always tackle difficult subject's , with compassion, sensitivity and not dramatising it but normalising it.

The star though of this chapter in my opinion is Dani and she dealt with Amber.

Mix in nude body paint art, jiggling breasts, muffins and a strap on and you gave a winner. Stonking good story, one of your best and cemented Amber and Dani in my list of favourites

Thank you wax

Jc

🧁Mmmm muffins

🕠Do you know what time it is

🎨Best artwork on display

🍑Amber's sweet arse

🎢You were right it was a roller-coaster, but the best kind

Only_connectOnly_connectover 3 years ago

Superb; very affecting. And everything else that So Smart said.

Air_DryAir_Dryabout 3 years ago

I’ve seen the highs in my oldest daughter. (A marriage long ago). She was 2 when I met my current wife. Her mother was full of inexplicables and I became a long distance daddy. I’ve struggled understanding how bipolar disorder manifested it in herself. I wasn’t present for most of her episodes as she typically ran from those who loved her and tried to understand her.

If you can believe it this story smacked me between the eyes jarring them open just a little bit and leaving them rimmed it salt. I’m having trouble reading what I’m writing and I’m up past my bedtime when I make even less sense. Thanks for giving me a little long overdue insight DL. I didn’t take any of this away in my first reading of the Amber/Dani story early in the pandemic. Maybe I can tell you a little more in private feedback if that’s ok. j

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userWaxPhilosophic@WaxPhilosophic
Miss Isabella’s Home for Stray Kittens has left and is now available exclusively as an ebook from JMS Books. https://www.jms-books.com/davina-lee-c-224_312/ * Other News... Tales from the Stream now has a glossary to help you keep the people, places, and things straight in...