Amy Was Once My Best Friend

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

It was Wednesday when Ray returned to school. He had heard about our kiss somehow and approached Amy. She told him it happened because of the excitement of the prom and being named Queen.

They argued for a few minutes and he walked away telling her they were through. When he approached me, I was ready to rumble.

"You can have her. She's used goods anyway,' he said.

I didn't say anything to him. I thought about punching him for talking bad about Amy, but there wasn't anything to gain in that.

For the next three weeks, I said hello to Amy but not much more. We had our finals and then graduation. I stopped by her house and let her know I was leaving for welding school in a couple of days and wished her luck on her choice of colleges. She told me she got accepted at a cheerleader college in Texas. She would be leaving within the month.

I didn't know what else to say to her. After all, I had told her I loved her and she never replied. She had mentioned to Ray that our kiss really didn't mean anything. I knew I was going to miss her but I had to go on with my life.

I started classes the following Monday. The way it worked was we would study welding techniques for all kind of welding. After about a month of class, we went out to do actual welding on things like cars, buildings, and tractors.

They called us welding apprentices. We attended school and did whatever jobs assigned to us. We started out doing mostly repairs. There were a lot of farms in the area and their equipment often needed repairs. Most of the time a job took a day or two. Mondays and Tuesday were mainly class days. We were payed a good wage for our work.

I forgot to mention that the school was in Michigan. We actually had dorms with two guys to a room. The buildings were remodeled projects that the school had bought. They also had a cafeteria that served meals for breakfast and lunch. There were also vending machines they kept filled every day. They even served meals on weekends.

Our life was not all work and no play. We were within twenty miles of three major colleges. Close to towns, shopping malls, and theaters. Women were plentiful and we took advantage of the situations. There were dances or parties most every weekend somewhere. I began dating at least once or twice a month.

I began having sex about a month after I started dating. The college girls seemed to like sex as much as the guys did. I made sure I always wore condoms. The last thing I needed would be to get a girl pregnant. I didn't feel love for any of the girls I dated but I did my best to make them feel special. My roommate and I would put a baseball cap on our door if we didn't want to be disturbed. Some of our dates didn't care one way or the other if the roommate was there.

I tried not to think about Amy but it was hard to do. I had to wonder if she was having sex at her college. I hadn't been home in over six months. Our school wasn't like a normal college. We went year around. The school basically employed us as assistant welders while they taught us and set up jobs for us.

I went home maybe one weekend every six months to see my family. Three times I drove by Amy's place but she was away at school. I would talk to Mrs. Dillon and she would tell me a little about Amy.

At the end of my two years, my instructor told me I was more than ready to be on my own. He gave me my certificate and told me I had been his best student and would do well in my future.

* * * * Amy's Side

Jerry and I grew up together. He was like my big brother and always looked after me. When my dad said we were moving I cried for days. I really missed my best friend. It took me the whole summer before I was somewhat back to normal. I started school and met a lot of new kids.

I joined the seventh grade cheerleader squad and made a lot of good friends. In fact, we stayed friends throughout high school and beyond. Like most girls, we always talked about boys. I didn't date until I was in high school where I met Ray. He seemed to be the main jock that all the girls talked about. I later found out his dad was our high school principal.

We dated for about two and a half years. He was the only boy in high school that I ever had sex with. Even then, it was only twice, and after I turned eighteen. I thought I loved him but over time I found out I really didn't. I lost my virginity to Ray and it hurt. It just seemed like something was missing. I now know it was love. I waited for months before we tried it again.

It was when I saw Jerry again that I really felt confused. I even tried to ignore him but I hurt inside when I did that. I swear I knew deep down that I loved him. We talked some but we had lost that closeness I always felt. When he started dating my friends, I felt jealous but it was my own fault.

My girlfriends said he was the nicest guy they ever dated. He never pushed them into anything and they felt protected when they were with him. He never asked any of them for sex but they loved making out with him.

I remember when all the cheerleaders wanted to go to the school's first baseball game. We never cheered at baseball games before but we all wore our uniforms and cheered for our team for the first game. They seemed to cheer louder whenever Jerry was up to bat. When he walked his third time at bat and started running as fast as he could everyone was wondering what was happening.

I told the cheerleaders that he wasn't going to stop at first but head to second. I remembered him doing it in grade school and surprised everyone. We were all yelling as the catcher threw the ball to second base but the second baseman wasn't there and the ball rolled toward center field as Jerry headed for third with a stand up triple.

Everyone kept cheering when Ray hit a line drive to center field bringing Jerry in to home. After that game, our cheerleaders went to all the home baseball games. It was the best team our school had ever had.

In May was our prom. A few days before the prom all the students in the school voted for King and Queen. They chose me as Queen and Beth as runner up. They voted Ray as King with the runner up being Jerry. Of course, you had to attend the prom to be Royalty. Ray said his throat was bothering him and was having a hard time breathing. His dad took him to the doctor and he had to have his tonsils removed.

It meant he would miss the prom. I cried and told my mom I wasn't going to go. She had already spent over three hundred dollars on my outfit since I was to be Queen. The cheerleaders all came to the house and told me that Jerry said he wasn't going to the prom either. Brenda said she would ask him if he would take me.

"Why would he take me after the way I've treated him? I think he hates me now."

"No he doesn't. He has never said anything bad about you. Let Brenda talk to him. What have you got to lose?" Beth asked.

After Brenda talked to him, he came over to discuss it with my mother and me. He said it would be an honor to be my date for the prom. He picked me up on Saturday and we met the other couples at the Olive Garden and then went to the gym for the prom.

It just felt right being in his arms when we stepped on the dance floor for the royalty dance. As we were dancing, he kissed me passionately. He said he felt like we were at our wedding. I remember telling him I wish we were. At that moment, all I wanted was Jerry.

After the dance, we went back to our table and everything seemed somewhat normal. Most everyone asked me about the kiss and I didn't know what to say. I just told them it was a spur of the moment thing. When he took me home, he kissed me again and told me he loved me. I was lost for words. I kissed him again and went into the house.

On Monday at school, the prom was the talk of the school. Ray came back on Wednesday and we had an argument about my kiss with Jerry. I told him it didn't mean anything but he broke up with me anyway. What I didn't know was Jerry heard what I said.

I thought for sure that Ray and Jerry were going to get into it big time, but Ray just told him he could have me, that I was used goods. Jerry didn't say a word as Ray walked away. I barely talked to Jerry until graduation. He did stop by my house and wished me the best. He said he was going to Michigan in a couple of days but maybe he would see me around. I could tell by his voice that he was hurting as much as I was but we were both too stubborn to say anything.

I wasn't sure what I was going to do with my life. I always loved cheerleading and I was good at it. Brenda, Beth and I decided to go to a cheerleading school that was in Texas. It was for young women who wanted to become professional cheerleaders. It could lead to being a model, dancer, or even a star.

I decided to go with them for two years. I could take business courses and get a degree in Business Management. I really had no interest in being a movie star or anything like that.

The way the course worked was you would be a cheerleader for the school while training as a professional. An example that everyone knows is the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders. The second year you would be obligated to be on the traveling squad with them for at least one season. We made decent money but it was really hard work.

People don't realize how much practice and exercising we were put through. Also, it was not all fun and games. Cheerleaders couldn't date any of the players. If caught the school would throw you off the squad and out of school. We cheered for many large crowds of people. That is where you maybe got noticed for a future job. For me it was to get my year in, return home, and lead a normal life.

We could date but rarely had the time. I didn't even date once a month. Brenda, Beth, and I went to a couple of parties. I got drunk one time and had sex with a business executive. I regretted it the next morning. I promised myself no more sex and stuck to it.

In the two years I was gone I went home twice to see my family. My mom told me I had a couple of visitors. She said Ray had stopped by and told her he made the football team. Mom said all he did was talk about himself. She then told me that Jerry stopped by to ask how I was and what I was doing. She explained to him everything that I had told her about getting a degree in business. She added that Jerry said I was always his best friend and then left.

At the end of my two years, I got my business degree and decided to go home. Cheerleading was fun but it ran its course for me. Beth and Brenda both signed up for another year of cheerleading. They liked being in the limelight. I wished them both the best. My parents were coming to my graduation but we had to figure a way to get my things home. In two years, I acquired a lot of stuff.

* * * * Jerry Again

I finished my studies and headed home to start my own welding business. I had saved a lot of money during school. I found an old discarded gas station with the pumps removed. It had two stalls, an office, and a bathroom. It would take some cleaning up but it would work for me.

Behind the station was a mobile home. I called the realty company and found out a woman whose husband had died owned it all. After she closed the gas station, the company pulled out their pumps. No one had lived in the trailer for about three months. I told her I would be interested in the station and trailer both.

She made me a good offer and I accepted it. I went to the bank and my dad co-signed a loan for me. My parents always helped me out when they could. I needed a couple of weeks to set up business. I contacted the phone company and some distributors of the equipment I'd need. I had a few signs made with the name "Jerry's Welding Shop" on them. They also had the business hours and phone number on them.

I had my welding truck and enough equipment to get started. My dad and mom were proud of me. They told their friends and a couple of them came over right away with small welding jobs.

Business was getting busier than I expected. The welding wasn't bad but I had to answer calls and make appointments. I hadn't even cleaned up my place yet. I knew I had to get a secretary. I started work at eight in the morning and was working until as late as eight at night.

I had gotten out of school about a month before most colleges had their graduation. It was because I started about a month earlier. I went by to see Mrs. Dillon--she was always one of my favorite people. I told her about my business and that I had a trailer to live in behind it. I asked her about Amy and she said she was graduating the following weekend. She was receiving a degree in Business Management. Mrs. Dillon said she and her husband were going to the graduation. They were going to fly there but they still had to find a way to get Amy's personal things home.

"Would you mind if I went along?"

"Oh my god! Would that ever surprise Amy." Mrs. Dillon had a tear in her eyes.

"I could fly down with you and Mr. Dillon. Amy can fly back with you and I'll rent a small u-haul and drive it back. That should solve most of the problems."

"We can't ask you to do all that."

"You didn't ask. I suggested it. As I told you before, Amy is my best friend and always has been. I'm doing this for her. Just don't tell her. I want it to be a surprise."

Mrs. Dillon gave me a hug and a kiss on the cheek. "I've always liked you."

I went back to my station and made a few phone calls. I set up a couple of jobs before flying to Texas. I knew it would take me a couple of days to drive back.

I talked to my old welding teacher from school and he told me how proud of me he was. He even said he would send some small jobs my way and if I ever needed a third hand he would ask some of his students. They always liked making a few bucks.

Things had been so hectic I was happy to get time off just for the rest. Mr. and Mrs. Dillon had bought three round trip tickets. The return ticket for me was in Amy's name since I would be driving back. Mr. Dillon said he was paying for my ticket seeing I was helping them out.

We arrived in Texas and took the courtesy bus to our motel. Of course, we had separate rooms. We would only be spending the one night because the graduation was the next day. Mrs. Dillon called Amy and told her they arranged to have her personal items taken back to Ohio. They would explain it when they saw her.

The following day we went to Amy's graduation at the designated time. When she crossed the stage, I stood up and whistled. With such a big crowd there, I guess she hadn't noticed me. She and her parents met up in the greeting zone. I walked up behind her before I said anything.

"Congratulations, Amy."

She whipped around and stared at me.

"Oh my god! Jerry, what are you doing here?"

"My best friend graduated and I wasn't going to miss it."

She hugged me and I hugged her back. It brought tears to her eyes.

"Besides, I rented a u-haul to take all your stuff back. You'll be flying home with your folks. We'll explain more later," I said.

Beth and Brenda came over and said hello. They told me they were going to hang out for another year. They wanted to be part of the Dallas Cowboy's cheerleading squad.

We all headed back to their apartment and gathered up all of Amy's furnishings and clothes. Boy, did that girl have a lot of clothes. Her parents were taking us out for dinner. Beth and Brenda came along but in their own car. Mr. Dillon drove a rental car and I was in the trailer with all her things in it.

After dinner, I left the restaurant and told them I'd see them in two days. Amy came up to me, said thank you, and kissed me lightly. I had a lot of thinking to do on the drive home. I actually wondered if Amy would want to work for me. She had her degree in Business Management and I needed a secretary and bookkeeper. I wondered how she would feel about that. If nothing else, maybe she would help me out a little until I found someone else.

A couple of days later I pulled up at their house. They all came out and we began to empty the truck. When it was empty, I asked Amy if she could follow me since I needed a ride to my place. As we rode back, I told her about my business and asked her if she wanted a job until she settled in. That would give her time to decide on what she wanted to do. I told her I would pay her whatever she thought was fair.

We pulled up to the garage and she looked around. "Jerry, you live here?"

"I live in the trailer behind the garage. I bought the whole place. I haven't found the time to clean and fix it up yet. I've been spending all my evenings doing paperwork. That's why I need a secretary. Are you interested?"

"I'm not sure what my plans are but I'll help you until you can find someone. I really want you to succeed, Jerry. I care about you."

As we were standing there, an older woman pulled up and asked me if I could weld some braces on her two chairs. I told her if she had a half hour, I could do it right then. She said she was going to the store and would be back. I opened the garage and took the chairs in and welded braces on both of them. I then painted them to match the chairs.

Amy stood and watched me. It made me feel good to know she was interested in what I was doing. Amy walked over and picked up my billing pad.

"Do you want me to make out the bill?"

I looked at her and smiled. "Just make it out for twenty-five dollars."

The woman came back and was very pleased with the work I had done.

"You even painted them. Thank you," she said. "How much do I owe you?"

She walked over to Amy who asked her name and wrote it on the bill. She wrote out a check for thirty-dollars and said it was for doing the job so quickly.

I loaded the chairs back in her vehicle and she left.

"When do you want me here tomorrow?" asked Amy.

"Eight would be good. If I'm not out here knock on the trailer. We can go over things then. Thank you so much for helping me out. I really do appreciate it."

"It's friends helping friends." replied Amy before she left and went back home.

The next day Amy was there right on time. I went over the paperwork and my appointment book with her. I explained to her that I would be gone all day and tomorrow. I had some farm equipment to repair. I asked her if she could interview a few people for the office work and possibly someone to help clean up the place.

I told her my teacher got me a couple of students to help me at the farm. Some of the equipment was too heavy for one person to lift. I promised her I would take her out to dinner when I returned. I told her that I really needed to talk to her.

* * * * Amy Again

After Jerry left, I took a good look at the garage. It was a solid building but did need cleaning up. Then I went in back to look at his trailer. It looked like a tornado went through it. I checked the yellow pages and found a cleaning company. They sent two hardworking women who weren't afraid to get dirty. They came in and said they could have the garage office and restroom cleaned and painted in about a week. Jerry would have to do the stalls where he would work.

I took them to look at the trailer and they asked if it was a guy's trailer. I told them it was but that he just purchased it. They told me that they could have it cleaned in about three days. I signed an agreement with them and they would start the next day. I asked them to start with the office and restroom and then do the trailer.

They suggested Jerry stayed in a motel for a few days while they cleaned the trailer up. I could tell he needed new mattresses, a couch, and a chair for the living room. The ladies could clean the stove and refrigerator. Jerry would need essentials such as bedding and a few kitchen items. Most of what he had wasn't usable.

I talked to Jerry that day and explained everything to him. He told me I was in charge and he would go along with whatever I thought best. But I wanted to wait so he could choose things he liked. Once he returned from the job at the farm, we went shopping to buy things for the trailer. Jerry smiled and said we were like a married couple.