An Absence of Trust

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

At this moment suddenly I had a revelation. Robert was a bully. He was used to getting his own way through bullying. I had learned by the time I was in high school that once you stand up to a bully they were basically cowards. That's what had just occurred.

And then Maddy approached our table. At this point Lisa was still in the restroom, supposedly, and so it was just Stacy and me at the table sitting across from each other.

"Billy!?" She said to me, looking at me and then glancing at Stacy. There was no way she didn't notice the large expanse of cleavage exhibited by Stacy. She glanced back and forth once more. And then the silent tears began streaming down her cheeks.

My hard wired instinct was to go to her, comfort her, and explain that Stacy was not my date. But the moment I thought of that my mind flashed to Tiffee with his flopping penis nude sprawled across the staircase in my house, after he'd just fucked Madeline.

I made no move to comfort her.

Just as she followed the rest of her group out onto the street Lisa appeared. I looked at her and just by the smile on her face I realized she had engineered her own absence just as Robert, Maddy and that crowd was coming down the Mezzanine stairs.

I can't say for sure but I thought there was a high possibility she wanted it to look like me and the voluptuous Stacy were out together and alone.

"Nord Gustafson got 61% of the vote." She told me.

Wow, I thought. The Times article had really damaged Maddy's image. A part of me was sad, but a much larger part of me was glad that all of Robert's dreams of City Attorney and then Mayor had been ruined. He sacrificed Maddy and my marriage to satisfy his own desire for power. And Maddy went along with it. Unforgivable.

I drove home with a mixture of emotions again. Sadness, anger, satisfaction, and confusion on how my life was changing. Shortly after I arrived home I received a text from Ryan.

'My Dad is pissed! Be careful he has a hand gun. For whatever reason he sees you as the bad guy, be careful!'

I double checked and locked all the doors. I made a note, 'look into home security systems'.

Wednesday another text from Ryan. 'Hey my sister keeps saying she needs to talk to you. Just a heads up.'

And then the text from Maddy, 'Billy, I really need to talk to you. Just us. Can I come over tonight? Please? Don't make me beg!'

I still don't think she knows how much her betrayal hurt me. I thought of all our plans and dreams. The thoughts of raising a family in our house in Madison Park, seeing future children grow up, sharing in the joy of parenthood.

That entire future had been ruined by her and her father's ambition. And Tiffee. I began to wonder how it all started, her affair with Tiffee, how long it lasted, and how she thought it was all going to work out?

I decided I would meet with her. I had many questions that needed answers. I texted Maddy back and told her 7:30 tonight at my house. And left it at that. I then made two more phone calls, the last one to my attorney Landon Kirsch.

Almost immediately I received a text from Maddy, 'Thank you Billy. I love you'.

I didn't reply.

That afternoon I had a few things to do to prepare for tonight. By late afternoon all the preparations were done. My emotions bounced from sadness to anger, but finally my overwhelming thoughts were my curiosity at how things reached the point that she was fucking Tiffee in my bed.

Promptly at 7:30 the doorbell rang. Madeline had definitely taken time to make herself look good, and she did. But there was a shadow of sorrow that her makeup and natural beauty could not quite disguise.

She came to me to hug me and I held my hand up in a halting gesture.

"Maddy, we've got a lot to talk about. I have a lot of questions." I said.

She nodded obediently and we walked into the living room. I took the single chair and Maddy sat on the couch. She looked at me expectantly.

"Okay, why don't we start by you telling me how this all started with Tiffee." I said in an even voice.

"Billy, that's all over. None of that matters. We've got to work on our relationship. I don't care if I ever see Brandon again. He means nothing to me....."

"STOP!" I shouted at her. "Just a few days ago you were naked upstairs," and I glanced toward the ceiling, "fucking him! Don't you dare say it means nothing."

"Okay, Billy, I'm sorry, I'll tell you whatever you want to know," She answered the tears beginning.

Calm again, I asked her to start at the beginning.

It sounded like, just as I'd suspected, Robert had engineered the transfer of Tiffee to Seattle from Washington DC. Tiffee had a brash charisma that Robert seemed to buy into. Robert was constantly pushing Tiffee and Maddy together. When Tiffee wasn't around Robert would tell Maddy how impressive he was and how she and he made a great team. It was at first unclear whether he was saying as a team politically or something more personal than that.

Maddy then admitted that she kind of liked Tiffee almost immediately. He dressed in expensive suits and was groomed perfectly. It was totally unfair but I'm sure my casual lounging on the couch in sweatpants, unshaven, did not compare favorably to Tiffee's fashionable suits and appearance.

And then they found themselves alone a lot in the private campaign office. It took me questioning Maddy for her to admit that this was the same unit where Tiffee was living. It seemed Robert was encouraging this togetherness.

Apparently one night they were at Tiffee's place, the campaign office, and they were receiving some positive polling news. They had some drinks, and it was a small celebration. The combination of the alcohol and the high spirits of celebration about the positive news broke down the remaining barriers.

"That was the first night I slept with Brandon." Maddy admitted.

"From then on, Brandon, the campaign, my father, my future political campaign all became combined." Maddy said, "my marriage to you just seemed like a separate chapter in my life. I knew this affair with Brandon would end as soon as the campaign was over. Then I would be with you and live the life we had talked about." She said to me amidst a fresh wave of tears.

She looked at me and started to get up to come to me.

"Wait a minute," I said, her sad act did not affect me, "how did it get to be you and Tiffee, in my house and in my bed!?"

"Brandon always wanted to spend the whole night with me." She said, "when I found out you were going out of town it was to be our last night together. Brandon insisted on it being at our house. I don't really know why."

I knew why, he wanted that as a final victory over me. Taking my woman in my house and my bed. I wish he'd broken his neck falling down the stairs, not just his leg.

"

Billy, you know all the rest," she said, her eyes pleading with me, "what's most important now is that we have a clear path moving forward." She added looking at me hopefully.

I glanced at the clock, about two more minutes. I stood up.

"I'll be right back," I said to her, stalling. Moments later the doorbell rang.

"Madeline will you get that," I shouted from the kitchen.

I heard muffled voices and a small cry from the entry. I walked in and saw Maddy standing in the entry stunned. She knew from her legal career the process of being served. She stood there, woodenly, with the 9x12 envelope in her hand.

"Why?" She asked me, still not quite comprehending my level of anger.

"You just asked me for a clear path moving forward," I said using her words and nodding toward the envelope, "this is about as clear as I can make things," I told her matter of factly.

Just then the doorbell rang again.

"C'mon in," I shouted.

The door opened and Maddy, still stunned, watched as Stacy Benneti, dressed even more sexy than she had been on election night, entered my house, walked straight up to me, and gave me a long passionate kiss.

"I'm going to get a glass of wine before we go out," Stacy said, completely ignoring Maddy, but at the same time showing her familiarity with where the kitchen was located and where the wine was kept.

Maddy stood there, mouth open, envelope in hand, flabbergasted, watching my interaction with Stacy.

Stacy, Lisa, and I had practiced this whole charade earlier this afternoon. I had called Lisa earlier and reminded her of the favor she owed me. I then explained what I had in mind. Lisa even suggested the kiss.

"But keep your tongue to yourself big guy," she told me with a half serious tone in her voice.

Madeline was doubly stunned by first the divorce service and now this new woman in my life, or so she thought. I wanted her to get just a glimpse of some of the agony of betrayal that I went through.

I walked up to Maddy and with my hand gently but firmly in the small of her back led her to the door.

"Billy, Billy why?" She asked me, dazed by the turn of events.

"Maddy, I simply know longer trust you," I said. "Good luck to you in the future," I said and softly closed the door.

Even through the closed solid fir door, I heard her sobbing outside on the front walk. I still cared for her and I still had strong feelings for Maddy, but anyway I worked at it, there was no way I could live my life with her, with an absence of trust.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Monday morning was my first day on the job with Global. Was I nervous, not really. I guess you could say I was a little anxious, but that was it. I was in my new office and Eliot was talking to my 'new team'. In all the time Madeline and I had been together I'd never been in these offices. Of course her father had never invited me.

Eliot and I met over the weekend. It was interesting to learn from him that Global wanted me working out of their ISC office in downtown Seattle. The same office that Robert and Ryan worked at. And of course Tiffee. I explained the entire story about my marriage, the quest for political office, the betrayal by Madeline, her father's involvement and of course Tiffee..

Eliot asked me if I was okay working at ISC, I told him I was but I couldn't work with Tiffee.

"Don't worry, he's been," Eliot took a breath, "relieved of his duties. In fact we are currently on the lookout for Mr. Tiffee. His client accounts are quite irregular. Apparently he fled his hospital bed sometime over the weekend, Checked himself out. The FBI is using the term embezzlement. Don't worry we'll find him." Eliot assured me.

I sat at my desk in my new office, waiting for my signal from Eliot, mentally rehearsing what I wanted to say. Just then he poked his head in my door.

"Showtime," he said and led me to the conference room.

There were eight people in that conference room. The windows on the west side of the room overlooked downtown Seattle. There was an oblong table made of smoked glass that the eight sat around. Entering the room, following Eliot, the low hum of conversation halted.

There was a moment of silence and then I was suddenly recognized. At least by Robert, and Ryan.

"What in the hell is he doing here?" Robert began, "get this son of a bi...."

A quick stern look from Eliot Boucher interrupted Robert's surprised comments.

"Everyone," Eliot addressed the group, "I'd like you all to meet our new sales manager Billy Damon."

"Global has recently purchased Billy's real estate company and Billy has agreed to come on board as our manager of real estate investments." Eliot continued. "As we move forward in the current financial world of unprecedented opportunities we know that a large part of our strategy will be focused on the appreciation in real estate values. Billy's experience will help guide us through the world of property and equity,

Robert's face, already flushed, continued to turn more red. The rest of the group, including Ryan, seemed interested and open to the new strategy.

"Billy, meet your team." Eliot said with a sweeping gesture toward the occupants of the room.

I took a deep breath and stood up next to Eliot.

"Thanks Eliot," I began, "I look forward to meeting each of you. Some of you," and I nodded toward Ryan, "I already know." I said with a smile.

"The real estate business has been good to me, and I expect that same success here at ISC. I know you have worked primarily in stocks and bonds, but I do believe real estate mixed with traditional investments can provide favorable returns for everyone." I said to the group making eye contact with everyone but Robert. He sat, eyes to ceiling, nearly shaking in anger and outrage.

"I'll be meeting with each of you one on one to talk about strategy," I said, "in the meantime I'm going to ask for a weekly activity report so I can understand your business." I told them. "The report is due every Monday by 8 AM. No exceptions."

Robert was silently furious.

"Now," I began, "if there is nothing further, that is all I had for our group this morning."

I said as I exited the conference room.

Eliot joined me in my office.

"Well," I asked, seeking his opinion, "how'd I do?"

"Not bad for the first time," he began, "maybe a little heavy handed, but that's okay. One thing in the future that may be helpfu...."

'BANG'

A loud uncharacteristic sound came from somewhere outside my office. Eliot and I rose to find out what was going on. There were others moving in an alarmed way out in the hall. Suddenly there was a scream, and more shouts. We followed the commotion.

We saw a group clustered around an open office door, a woman was crying and others looked shaken.

"Uh oh, that's Robert's office," Eliot quietly said to me.

Eliot and I moved through the small crowd and looked in. I immediately turned away. There was blood splatter and grey matter coloring the wall behind his desk. Robert's body was tilted back in his office chair, the handgun still clasped in his hand.

"Someone call the police," Eliot shouted, "everyone else into the conference room. Andrea call building security. We need someone to secure the office door."

The small group once again were seated around the conference table in utterly different circumstances than when we were here just a few minutes before.

Eliot said a few words, some of the group became emotional and I personally knew that at least part of the blame could be directed toward me.

For some reason I was having a difficult time feeling terribly bad about the turn of events. I was sad for his family but Robert was a singularly pompous and unpleasant individual. Personally I wouldn't miss him.

My thoughts then shifted to Ryan, Robert's son. How was he taking this terrible tragedy? I studied Ryan. I saw an assortment of emotions cross his features and as I continued to watch him the one emotion I never quite saw was sorrow.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

It was many weeks later and things had calmed down. I sent flowers to Myra, Robert's widow and a note to Maddy. But I didn't attend the funeral.

My note to Maddy created a new tide of 'we need to talk' messages but I ignored them all. It was completely over as painful as that was.

Professionally I was doing well and I was enjoying the corporate life. And as Landon had informed me months ago, I was rich.

But I was also bored. Currently it was Saturday night and I was still unpacking boxes from when I first moved into the Madison Park house. My mind drifted to my dreams of raising a family here with Maddy as a wife and mother. A fresh wave of muted sadness and anger washed over me. That specific scenario would never happen.

One box later I found a picture. An actual hard copy photograph. I still remember that day vividly. It was an unnaturally warm September day and we were alone at Priest Lake. We'd taken a day trip, no football practice that sat for some reason. There was this little sandy beach area on the banks of the lake. At first we just took off our shoes and put our toes in the cool water. It felt great.

The next thing I knew Chrissy was taking off all her clothes and skinny dipping.

"Billy, get in here, the water feels wonderful," She said to me, laughing and splashing.

I didn't need any more of an invitation to get naked with her. We had a good time that day and I recalled taking a picture of her with my digital camera coming out of the lake, one arm across her ample breast and her other hand attempting to cover her pubic area.

I had just found that picture. I looked at the photo and realized Chrissy still turned me on. Suddenly I had a thought. It was a long shot, but, you never know.

I grabbed my phone and sent a text to her old phone number. Did she still have the same number I wondered? As I said it was a long shot. I set my phone down and continued my chore.

It must have been a half hour later, a reply.

'Billy Damon? Is it really you?'

I told her it was and she told me that she had been thinking of me lately.

'Oh really'. I texted, 'Why?' I replied, finding myself grinning at the ways this was turning out.

'I'm in Seattle until Monday morning and I knew you lived here somewhere."

I told her, yes, I did live in Seattle, that I'd like to see her, and was she available for lunch tomorrow?

There was a longer pause before her answer this time.

'Okay' she wrote.

'How about 1 PM brunch at Casa Bella?' This was a nice bistro that would give us some privacy I thought.

'That won't work, you know how schedules are. How about 11:30, there's a Red Robin close by, I'll send you the address'.

Red Robin was pretty casual but fine, I'd meet her at a soup kitchen if that's what she wanted I thought.

I was excited, I knew it was just the first step but Chrissy and I always had a strong bond. My mind began to wonder at the idea of Chrissy and I together again. My excitement made it hard to sleep that Saturday night.

I got there right at 11:30. There was a bit of a crowd at the door but quickly I searched the faces and I saw Chrissy, as beautiful as ever, waving her hand at me amidst the people.

I excitedly weaved my way to her and just as I approached I noticed the smiling dark haired guy with glasses next to her. She was holding his arm. He was holding a baby. I tried to hide the surprise on my face.

"Billy!" She said, "it's been so long," And she hugged me, quickly she disengaged.

"Billy, this is my husband Wes and our daughter Audrey. She's almost nine months old and crawling," She told me.

"You knew I was married didn't you?" She asked, she may have sensed my momentary confusion.

"Of course," I lied.

As my far flung fantasies about my life with Chrissy crumbled I realized I needed to do the right thing, and I bought them lunch and was pleasant. I hate to say it but Wes was a really nice guy, and deep down I was glad for Chrissy, but sad for me.

No, unfortunately, this story ends without me finding a new love, but I guess that will be the next chapter.

Let's hope it's a little shorter next time.

THE END

A couple of footnotes:

The appreciation of real estate in this fictitious story is actual. In the decade 2010-2020, when the story is set, Seattle area real estate increased 141%.

The Apple Cup, the University of Washington - Washington State football rivalry is quite real. In fact the way it was described in the story may be mild compared to how serious it is taken in real life.

Finally, the part about squatters is real too. There was a house in Portland that was taken over by squatters who physically threatened the actual owners. The owners had to sell the house at a deep discount because they didn't have the funds to reclaim their house through legal channels. The takeover of the house as written in the story is fiction. That didn't really happen.

1...67891011