An Accidental Family

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I looked down and could see the coach talking to Jason who was strapping on his helmet. I felt Jen's hands grab my arm like a safety handle during an emergency stop.

"He'll be fine," I said as much for myself as for Jen. "He's trained for this. He's got it." Inside I was not so sure. It's a big jump from spring 7-7 to playing under the fall lights. I just hoped that he wouldn't do anything too disastrous until he got his feet under him.

"Damn straight he's got this," said Lisa who was on her feet beside Jen staring intently at the sideline where Jason was warming up. "He's going to kick some ass!" I liked her enthusiasm and hoped her confidence wasn't misplaced.

The home crowd who had been amped up and on their feet for most of the game was now almost silent while the Fairview crowd was raucous (after a polite pause while Tom was taken off the field.) The Fairview defence could smell blood in the water and after a punt their offence quickly came down the field and scored, tying the game.

After the kickoff, Jason jogged onto the field for his first series. He looked almost preternaturally calm, but Jen was so tense beside me that I could feel her fingernails digging into my biceps.

On the first play of the drive, Fairview dialled up an all-out blitz and, despite max protection, Jack came unblocked through the middle on a stunt and blew Jason straight onto his back almost causing him to lose the ball. Jen gasped and the home crowd let out a collective groan. What had looked minutes earlier like an easy victory now seemed like a sure defeat. The Fairview crowd became even louder, if that was possible, and I could barely hear over the noise.

"It's okay," I reassured Jen as I watched Jason who was still on his back on the field. "Hits like that are a part of the game. Jason's tough. He'll be fine." I left unsaid that that was a brutal hit and I just hoped that he would get back up and into the game. My spine hurt just watching the play. I couldn't imagine how Jason felt lying on his back on the turf.

"Come on, get up. You got this," Lisa said trying to pick Jason up by force of will alone. As confident as she sounded, I noticed that her hands were balled up into fists as she bounced up and down on her toes. Her little sisters looked on with concern, not really understanding what was happening but feeling the shift in the crowd from joy and celebration to concern and disappointment.

After what seemed like an hour, but was only half a minute, Jason got up off the turf and dusted himself off. He looked over to the sideline to the coach for the next play and the game went on. They ran two running plays for no yards before punting. For the rest of the half, the defences took over and the game was tied going into the locker room at the break.

"I am going to go down and see if I can have a quick word with Jason," I said to Lisa and Jen as I made my way along the bleacher. "But don't worry, he will be fine," I asserted with more confidence than I felt.

I had hoped that Jason would ease into his first game action with a gimme of some kind, like taking over in the 4th quarter of blowout win or subbing for a play or two while Tom fixed an equipment issue. I never pictured him facing this kind of pressure right out of the gate and I was worried how he would handle it.

When I was just outside the locker room it was eerily quiet. As I was about to enter, I heard one voice start to speak. Surprisingly, it wasn't the coach.

"Listen, I know that most of us haven't played that much with Jason," Tom said as his voice commanded the instant attention of everyone in the locker room. "He is new this year, he is new to us. We haven't been to war together; we don't know what to expect from him when the hits start coming and bodies start to fly. I get it.

"We're nervous and we're playing like it. Fairview can smell our fear and they are feasting on it. I am sure they are losing their minds in their locker right now, just waiting to come out after half to beat our asses. You know who stands between them and victory? Jason.

You might not have faith in Jason. I get it. Hell, Jason might not have faith in himself right now. But you know what? I have faith in him. I believe in him 100%. He is going to win this game for us. I know it. If you can't trust him yet, trust me until he proves it to you on the field. When you are in the huddle, you listen to him like you would listen to me.

"If you believe in him the way that I believe in him, we can walk away from this game with the win. Anyone who doesn't believe, who doesn't think we can win with Jason as quarterback let me know and I will ask coach to take you off the goddamned field and off our team.

"And O-line, I love you all like brothers but if you let Jason get lit up like that again, I am going to kick your asses so hard that you will be able to scratch your nose with my cleats for a week. Now let's go."

The team cheered as they ran back out to the field. That was one hell of a motivational speech. I guess that's why he was unanimously voted as captain. I made my way back to our seats. There was nothing I could say to Jason that would add to Tom's words.

The team came out after half with a renewed sense of purpose. The defence was on fire, flying around the field and holding Fairview to a pair of field goals. The offence continued with an ultra-conservative approach featuring heavy doses of the run game.

Because of the exclusive focus on the run, there were often three tight ends on the field for the extra blocking, so Sneaky also got his first opportunity for extended play in a game. Given his inexperience, he did remarkably well at keeping the defensive players at bay and protecting Jason. I was so proud of him and made a mental note to be sure to tell him after the game.

Between the inspired defensive play and the conservative offense, we were still in the game with 4 minutes left, down 20-17, and we had the ball at mid-field. The last three drives had been brutal, however, with a total of 8 yards gained. It was clear that the coach was going to put the game in the hands of the offensive line and the running game. Unfortunately, it was equally clear that Fairview had figured out how to stop our ground attack and were keeping nearly everyone within 3 yards of the line of scrimmage.

The home crowd was almost silent as the team huddled up. When they broke, I saw Jason glance over to the sideline before calling over to Sneaky. Sneaky looked up and I saw Jason make a two-finger gun. That could only mean one thing, Jason was going to take his shot down the field and to Sneaky of all people. If this didn't work, his career as a quarterback might be over before it even began.

I watched as Jason leaned over to the running back who was flanked out to his left and said a few words. I knew Jason would need at least two and probably more like three or even four seconds to let Sneaky get far enough down the field to have a shot at catching a deep ball. And the only way that Jason was going to get that time would be if the running back, who was maybe one hundred and fifty pounds soaking wet, could block a rusher one-on-one for that whole time. My hands were instantly slick with sweat as I waited for the ball to be snapped.

"What's going on?" asked Jen, sensing my nervous excitement.

"I think Jason's taking his shot," I replied to Jen as calmly as I could. Looking past her, I could see that Lisa was holding her breath with her gaze fixed on the field. She knew what was about to happen as well. Hell, I bet she wished that she was the one lining up out there to catch the pass that she knew Jason was going to throw.

Just then the ball was snapped. I watched in slow motion as Sneaky went to engage his man, slipped his block, and took off down the left side of the field at a full sprint for the endzone. Jason dropped back and faked a handoff to the running back just long enough to freeze the linebacker who would naturally have picked Sneaky up as he started his route. The weak side safety saw what happened though and took off after Sneaky, but he started from a long way back.

A defensive end, finding themself almost completely unblocked, crashed through the line towards Jason with only the running back, who was almost half his size, in the way. To give credit where its due, our back didn't flinch or back down and fully engaged the monster closing in on him. He didn't stop him, he was never going to be able to do that, but he did manage to slow him down just enough for Jason to step up in the pocket. Jason calmly surveyed the field. Seeing Sneaky by himself he started his throwing motion. Feeling the pressure coming at him he stepped forward, planted and threw a beautiful high-arching pass deep left just as he was crushed by the lineman who had broken free of his blocker and was now back up to full speed.

The whole crowd and both sidelines went dead quiet. You could hear a pin drop as the pass flew. At first, I thought Jason had thrown too hard and too soon. There was no way that Sneaky would be able to reach the endzone in time to make the catch. The ball kept rising, however, in a perfect parabolic arc while Sneaky kept gaining ground down the field. The weak side safety was gaining ground even faster, though, and it was going to be touch and go as to who would get to the ball first.

Sneaky and the safety crossed the endzone line at the same time and it seemed inevitable that the safety was going to make the play on the ball. He was faster and more experienced than Sneaky and, even now, Sneaky did not really have the wind for a full field sprint. I felt a wave of disappointment begin to grip me. Jason and Sneaky had worked so hard all year and had taken a big risk to try and win the game, and it looked like it wasn't going to work out. If the play failed there would be severe consequences. Even if coach kept Jason as back-up QB, Sneaky would likely be demoted to junior varsity or even kicked off the team.

As my disappointment crested, however, two things happened that were wholly unexpected. First, Sneaky found an extra gear that I didn't know he had and, taking two quick steps, he arrived at the ball just after the safety had started to make his play. Second, Sneaky became the incarnation of the Greek god of one-handed catches and reached his long arm out over the safety's outstretched body to snatch the ball away and pull it in for the touchdown.

The stadium erupted. In our bleachers fans were losing their minds jumping and screaming. Jen screamed and cheered while pulling me in for a hug. I am not going to lie, I had dreamed of holding Jen like this for so long that I froze for a moment, before hugging her back with a grin. She felt every bit as good in my arms as I had imagined. Lisa was less demonstrative but no less excited pumping her fist so hard she nearly hit the fans standing in front of her. Her sisters didn't really understand what was happening but looked around at the cheering people with big smiles.

Despite my excitement, my eyes were locked on the field where Jason was still lying on the ground. After the hit he had just taken and the hit earlier in the game I was concerned that he might be badly hurt. Jen saw where I was looking, and her joyful hug instantly turned into a rib crushing spasm of fear.

"Is he alright?" She asked.

"He will be fine, he's tough, just give him a minute."

Down on the field his teammates, who were still busy celebrating, noticed that he hadn't moved. They came towards him as they called for the trainer. Slowly, however, Jason started to get up, stopped and then rolled onto his front.

"What is he doing?" Jen asked still overwrought with concern.

Before I could say anything, Lisa replied with a laugh, "he called his own play, he owes coach 50 push-ups and will be doing sprints all week after practice." With a smile she continued, "he only has 48 more to go." Sneaky, who was running back up the field towards Jason saw what he was doing and dropped to the ground and started doing them as well. The coach's distinctive voice carried across the field all the way to bleachers, "you idiots can do the rest of those after the game. Get your asses off the field!" His words sounded harsh, but you could see a hint of a smile on his face as he said it.

After that miraculous play, the defence was fired up and they put the game away with one more stellar defensive stand. As the clock ran out, the fans swarmed down from the bleachers and stormed the field. We went with the crowd but were slowed by Lisa's younger sisters. Jen and I each picked up one of the girls as we made our way down. The youngest covered her ears to block out the raucous crowd while the older girl buried her face in my shoulder.

It took us a while to find Jason, who had made his way to find Tom while being mobbed by his teammates. Tom seemed genuinely thrilled by Jason's success and gave him a huge man hug that lifted him off his feet before banging helmets and screaming into the night air. Further down the sideline, Sneaky was also being mobbed by fans and not a few players and cheerleaders, his trademark goofy grin still intact.

To anyone and everyone who congratulated him Jason deflected credit. First, to Tom for scoring two-thirds of the team's points before he ever saw the field. Second, to Sneaky for his incredible run and even more incredible catch and third, to the running back who sacrificed his body to give Jason time to make the game-winning throw. No one was buying his modesty, however, and shortly thereafter a half dozen junior cheerleaders surrounded him and started vying for his attention.

When we finally got to speak with Jason, he was his normal stoic self. He winced when he was enveloped in a huge hug from his mother and seemed embarrassed when I told him how proud I was of his game. Lisa broke into a big grin and said, "you know, you kinda overthrew Sneaky there before he saved your ass with that catch. You've got to give the big fella a chance. And you are going to have to learn to dodge those freight trains before you throw. But nice work out there."

"I know," Jason replied with a deadly serious look on his face. "I didn't take into account how much the adrenaline would affect my throw. I will know better for next time."

"I'm just teasing," Lisa replied in exasperation, "you were awesome. You won your first game!"

"I can do better," was all Jason replied. Looking down at Lisa who was now standing just in front of him he continued quietly, "maybe you could come by the shop this week and we can work on my deep throws."

"Of course, Jason. I wouldn't miss it."

Looking away to give the kids some privacy, I noticed the look that the cheerleaders who had been gathered around Jason were now giving Lisa. Jen noticed as well and muttered under her breath, "that is going to be trouble."

"You think? Jason has been hanging out with Sneaky and Lisa since the start of the year and no one seemed to care."

"That was back when Jason was 'unknown backup quarterback Jason'. That Jason could hang out with whoever he wanted. 'Starting quarterback Jason who just won the big game with the throw of a lifetime,' is kind of a big deal, and cheerleaders like guys who are kind of a big deal. I was once one of those cheerleaders and they will take it as a personal insult that he wants to hang out with Lisa and not with them. I'm worried that they are going to make Lisa's life a living hell in that special way that only teenage girls can until she backs away from Jason."

"Well, we can tackle that problem tomorrow when and if it arises," I replied, but I was worried she was right. Lisa was already a bit of a loner because of her living situation. The last thing I wanted was for a posse of mean girls to make her their target.

It seemed like half the team came up to Jason to invite him to celebrate the big win with the team at the chain restaurant by the highway. Each time, Jason thanked them for the invitation but said he was going to the diner with his family like he does after every game. I must admit that it made me feel warm inside that he was starting to think of us as a family. I guess maybe I was like his goofy uncle or something ... or maybe a wise older cousin.

When we got to the diner, Sneaky and his family were already there having decided to celebrate his first ever catch and touchdown with a burger and milkshake. Lisa and her sisters got a ride with us as well. Sneaky, Lisa and Jason decided to sit at the counter while the adults and the younger girls sat in a booth.

After recovering from the shock of seeing Jason take some big hits on the field, Jen was thrilled at his first win and his amazing throw. She had a beautiful smile on her face that lasted all evening and lit up the room. I tried not to get lost in that smile but sometimes I couldn't help but stare when I didn't think she was looking.

At some point after dinner was done but before the kids were finished their milkshakes, Tom stopped by with his girlfriend to congratulate Jason on the game. He had a noticeable limp and said that he thought he might end up in a walking boot for a couple of weeks meaning Jason would be the starter for the foreseeable future. Tabitha, who was both the head cheerleader and the odds-on favorite to be valedictorian for their year, congratulated Sneaky and Jason on their games. She also introduced herself to Lisa who was a bit tongue tied being around high school royalty before she spent five minutes talking with Lisa's little sisters who were thrilled to meet a real live cheerleader.

Too soon, the evening came to an end. The air had started to get that early fall chill, so I wrapped my jacket around Jen's shoulders and a picnic blanket I kept in the back of the truck around the girls. We dropped Lisa and her sisters at home before heading back to the apartment complex. I said goodnight as Jason and Jen reached their apartment and opened the door, but Jen lingered in the hallway for a minute after Jason went inside.

"Hey, I just wanted to say how grateful I am for all the time you spend with Jason. You're an incredible friend and mentor. Tonight's game doesn't happen without you. You have given Jason a chance to make some real friends and fit in at his school. So, just ... thank you."

I could see tears beginning to form in the corner of Jen's eyes as she looked away and I started to blush and stammer.

"He's a great kid and he would have done fine without me, I'm sure, but it's been fun seeing him come into his own like this. And you should see him down at the shop ... he is so good with George, and he is already as knowledgeable as some of the mechanics who have worked there their whole lives. He has a real future as an engineer or architect."

"Well, he is already talking about being a mechanic. He could do much worse than to grow up to be like you," she said with a smile.

"He needs to dream bigger," I said shaking my head. "Someone as smart as him should be going to college and getting degrees. He should be designing cars not fixing them."

"He looks up to you, you know," she said.

"I ... well, I don't know what to say to that. I hope I set a good example for him ..."

"You do, JT, you do."

"Well, I should be getting to bed. We have our run ridiculously early tomorrow morning. Goodnight Jen," I said turning towards my apartment.

"Goodnight JT, sleep well," she replied, and she watched silently as I went to my apartment.

October, 2014

The next couple of months flew by. The team got some good news that despite the apparent severity of the injury at the time, Tom only had a first-degree ankle sprain. He sent a week in a walking cast and was back in at starting quarterback before Halloween. In the meantime, Jason kept the team on track going 2-1 in the three games before Tom could return with the only loss coming to the eventual state champion by a single touchdown.