An Angel's Fix Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
photodad
photodad
492 Followers

Jill finished the letter just as she heard Ashley's sporty car pull up in front of her house. She dialed Joe's number and told him not to knock on the door. Jill taped the letter to the TV screen, making sure her mother would see it, and then sheepishly let Joe, Kim, and Ashley inside. She started to apologize for the hoarder type mess, but apparently Ashley had prepared them for what was inside. Joe simply waved her off and quietly asked where her things were. Jill had used every container she could think of to make her departure easier. Once the totes, boxes, and garbage bags were loaded into the SUV, Joe asked if she wanted to take any furniture, stereo or TV. He said that he'd take them out himself if she wanted. Jill shook her head, looked around her room for the last time, and they left. She asked Kim in the front yard how she got there, since Ashley's BMW was a two seater. Kim grinned and said that she rode in Joe's lap. Jill glanced at Ashley, who only shrugged, then told Kim to get in the SUV so they could pick up Jasmine. Kim called Jasmine when they were a few blocks away.

"Well, it's quiet. That's promising," said Joe when they were standing in the yard.

"She said that her dad was at work, and her mom is sleeping. We're supposed to meet her at the back door," Kim said.

Jasmine's house was deceptively nice. Cloaked in the Stepford middle-class suburban clean and groomed yard, the exterior well hid the emotional turmoil that went on inside. Her dad spent nearly every cent of his paycheck to keep up appearances, barely able or willing to support his family. When Joe had first met Jasmine, she was exceptionally thin, almost frail. Joe had bought her a few lunches at school which were devoured. After that night she needed the break, Joe's parents worked out a deal with Jasmine to allow her to clean their house. Even after her mentors passed away, Joe still had Cindy write checks out to Jasmine. That was part of her fear. Her dad was used to that money coming in for food, and he blew most of the leftover portions of his checks to "keep up with the Joneses." Up to now, Jasmine had been using her income to supplement the food bill at their house. Once she left, her dad's fun time would evaporate as well.

"Wow, this is a beautiful house," Kim complimented when Jasmine opened the back door.

She stepped out and closed the door behind her. "Aside from the people living inside. Thank you, though."

Jill thought she was tired from staying up all night. Jasmine looked downright exhausted.

"What's wrong?" asked Ashley.

"Uh, I don't think I should go."

"Why not? You know there's like three more empty rooms at the house."

Ashley regretted saying that as soon as it left her mouth. One of the rooms she counted was his parents' room, only touched by Jasmine to clean it weekly since the funeral. Ashley communicated her apology wordlessly with a brush of her hand against Joe's.

"I know. But, I'm worried about my folks."

"What did they say to you last night?" asked Joe.

"They yelled at me for a couple of hours, saying they didn't know where I was. I told them I was celebrating with y'all."

"You told them that before graduation," Kim said hotly. "They probably don't remember, because they didn't even remember to show up!"

"Neither did yours," Jasmine shot back.

"They were working, and they live way up north now. I knew they weren't coming!"

"None of our parents were there," offered Jill. "But, we were there for each other, and that's all that matters. So, are you coming with us? You have to leave for college in a couple of months anyway, so what's the deal?"

Ashley knew that wasn't completely true, as her own parents were at graduation and the concert. But, she chose not to correct Jill.

"About college..." Jasmine started.

Joe had enough. "Oh for pete's sake!" He reached around Jasmine and opened the door. "You're going to college."

Looking inside, his suspicions were confirmed. Jasmine's mom jumped back from the window she was peeking out of. Just inside the door, Jasmine's packed things were stacked up. This was not about whether she could leave, but rather whether she made a show of resistance for her mom. Joe simply nodded to the woman before hefting three of the totes at once. The girls followed his lead, and within minutes, her things were moved into Jill's SUV. Jasmine made one last trip inside to give a final hug goodbye to her mom.

"I'm sorry. I just can't stay here any more."

"I know. I'm sorry he was so hard on you."

"You mean 'we.' Why was that? Yes, I did some wild things early in high school. But even then, I never touched drugs or got arrested."

"I don't know."

"Then why didn't you defend me, Mom? Instead, you just joined in while I was being verbally slaughtered."

The only response was a single sob, the same answer she always got for that question. Jasmine backed off, and before leaving she said, "Hopefully you'll be strong enough to leave him some day."

Once they reached the house, Ashley begged Jill and Jasmine to bed. She, Joe and Kim unloaded the SUV, sorted the contents of the containers, and washed what was in the hampers. Joe set up Jasmine's computer, electronic drawing tablet, and printer in a corner of the media room, while Kim and Ashley added Jill's collection to the ornate art and sculptures already displayed in the game and music rooms.

Cindy came over to take the engaged couple to the bakery so they could pick out their final selection for the wedding and groom's cakes. When they returned several hours later, they found Kim in the media room surrounded by packages. Jill and Jasmine came down in time to see the lastest shipment, a little refreshed but still dazed from their long night. Most of the packages were from Colorado, home of Carter's manufacturing hub. Ashley and Joe had sent invitations to all the managers who were closest to his parents. They had expected most of them to decline, but did not expect gifts. Several were high-end electronics such as CD, mp3 and BluRay players, a twin pair of military grade rugged laptops for college, and a clip-on wireless microphone for Ashley. Traditional wedding gifts were sent as well, and Ashley cooed over the crystal vases and glassware. The amazing thing was that as of yet, not one item had been duplicated.

After a while, Joe worked with Kim to put everything away while Ashley retrieved her thank you stationary that matched the invitations and sat down to write personal notes in her elegant script to each of the givers. Joe had seen her do this task off and on the last few nights in bed, and marveled at one point at her speed and penmanship. He told her that her penmanship looked like it came from a printer, being so consistent and straight. Her signature would later become her company's trademark. A flowing line rolled up to the peak of the 'A' and came back down in a mirrored fashion. The intersecting crossbar led straight into the following cursive 'shley', while the 'y's' tail would carry over and underscore her name in a french curve. The signature was a carbon copy every time she wrote it, and Jill once told her that she was the modern female version of John Hancock. Since the engagement, Ashley rarely signed her last name, even on homework and other school papers. She didn't hate her family, or even their name. She just correctly figured that after the accident last fall, everyone at the school knew who she was, and the surname wasn't needed. Besides, she was about to take on a new name anyway.

Meanwhile, Jasmine thanked Joe for setting her stuff up with a hug and kiss, and then sat down at her new work station to craft a new album cover assignment. Jill was bored and everyone was busy, so she stole away back upstairs. When Ashley asked what she was up to, Jill just said with a wink that it was a secret project. Well, maybe not so secret. Jill had begged Ashley months ago to let her construct the wedding dress. Everybody knew what she was working on, but they called it the secret project because no one had seen what Jill had in mind, much less actually view any of its progress. The closest they had come was this morning, when Jill insisted on carrying a black garbage bag to her room herself.

Dinner followed the tradition in the house as Jasmine and Ashley first served Joe and Kim who had worked together to prepare the meal. It was a quiet dinner with each lost in their own thoughts. The silence was broken when Kim asked what they all wanted to do the rest of the night. Some ideas were thrown around, but none were especially appealing. Jill finally had an idea.

"Your release is tonight, isn't it?" she asked when she got up to start clearing the table.

Ashley started helping her. "Well, at midnight. Why?"

"Wouldn't it be fun to go and buy a copy? I mean, who really gets to buy their own CD?"

The others perked up at the idea, and it was settled. After the kitchen and dining room were cleaned up, each did their own thing to pass the time. Cindy called to ask if they heard Ashley's new single.

"No. We've just been hanging out."

"JOE! Your woman's been on the radio all day, and you haven't even attempted to listen?"

The label had timed the second single's release to coincide with the album. It was hoped that the move would generate excitement and sales.

Cindy continued, "It's a hit, Joe. In addition to the contract airtime, it's being requested continuously. Are you feeling okay? I just thought you'd be, I don't know, happier."

"Just tired from this morning."

"Well, ease up on the 'RescueBoy' front. Focus on Ashley now."

"Yes, Mom."

"What the hell, Joe? If I were there, I'd...hang on."

Ashley got up from her note writing, walked over, and slapped Joe across the face.

"Ow! What was that for?"

Ashley replied, "I don't know, Cindy texted me. It just said 'slap Joe'. I'm sure there's a good reason." She went back to her writing without waiting to see what the reason was.

On the other end, Cindy was laughing. "God, I love technology! Don't get that smart with me again, or I'll quit." It was an empty threat, but her point got across.

"Sorry."

She got back on track. "Well, they're about to play it again on WHTZ, so you might want to stroke her ego a bit?"

"I will. We're going up at midnight to grab some copies, too."

"Now you're thinking, Joe. Or, was that Jill's idea?"

He dodged that. "I'll see you tomorrow."

Cindy laughed. "Thank Jill for me, then."

Joe had Kim tune to the station just as the DJ was introducing Ashley's title as the most requested song of the week. He played several clips of people requesting the song along with a short interview where he asked them why. The voices covered a relatively large age range, with the most given responses being that the song was catchy and sweet. The song played and Ashley caught the beat, bobbing her head slightly while singing along without realizing it as she continued to stuff yet another envelope. She was startled when the song ended and the others applauded her.

"What?" she asked when Joe sat next to her and gave her a kiss.

"It's even better live," stated Jasmine.

"Me addressing envelopes?"

"Your voice," answered Joe as he gave her a sideways hug.

"Oh that? I didn't know it was out loud."

Jill chimed in, "I've heard you sing a hundred times since you came to our school, and it still amazes me how good you are. And, you still don't realize it, do you?"

"No. How good am I?"

"Quit fishing."

"I'm not, Jill."

"You have your own album, don't you?"

"I guess, but that was for shits and giggles. It was fun to do, but it's not gonna make me any money."

"Only 30 grand before anyone heard it," said Kim. "Your royalties are going to pour in after tonight."

"She won't believe it until it happens." Joe knew this loop would continue forever if he let it. "Let's get ready to go to Wal-Mart."

Jill, Jasmine, and Kim opted for jean shorts and a t-shirt, while Ashley went with a polo and black jeans. Her hair was down and brushed out, making a perfect frame for her face. When Jill pulled into the parking lot, there were a fair number of cars huddled near the grocery entrance. Ashley remarked that it was nice that the store would allow the employees to park close during the overnight shift. The thought seemed confirmed when they entered the store, and only the crews were in sight, working on refinishing the floor in a clothing area.

"Ten bucks says they're going to wheel out a display at midnight," Jill offered as they strolled toward the electronics.

"Har har. We'll be lucky if we can find a copy already relegated to their clearance section."

Kim pouted and turned around, as she was leading the way with Jasmine. "Why are you so hard on yourself, Ash? You're beautiful, your voice approaches that of an angel, and people you meet love you instantly."

"Because this project was silly. That song that got noticed was a stupid tune I made up as a little girl. You know I didn't take the recording invite seriously. The advance they gave me was a favor to the 'Tales.'"

"Well, I believe you'll hit it big. Maybe not this album, but soon," affirmed Joe. "I hope you'll still think of me when you do."

The fear of not doing well and disappointing friends sent Ashley into a playful mood to cover her self-doubt. She grinned at him and broke out a couple of strong bars from Phantom of the Opera. "Think of me. Think of me fondly. Never say good...holy CRAP!"

She stopped so abruptly as she rounded the corner, Joe bumped into her. A line of about thirty people was formed leading to the electronics department. All had their faces turned to see the source of the impromptu song.

"Did Mariah Carey do a release today, too?" Ashley asked Joe.

Recognition hit some of the girls in line, prompting a shrieking "OH MY GOD, IT'S HER!!"

Everybody's head turned, including Ashley's. "Who's here?" she whispered to Joe.

"Oh my God. What an airhead!" exclaimed Kim. "You! They're talking about you!"

She received a warning look from Joe. Kim got away with talking smack to Ashley, as they were such good friends. But, tonight she was dancing awfully close to the limit for Joe's comfort.

Reaffirming what Kim had said, the girls starting shouting Ashley's name. A few of them rushed up to her, and soon everyone had forgotten their place in line as they didn't want to be left out. One of them asked if she was there to sign her albums.

"Sure, I can do that," she replied.

Requests from one teen turned into a small chant for Ashley to do a trick. Making it look as easy as a stroll in the park, the former cheerleader leaned back and performed an effortless back walkover to a healthy round of applause. A fresh set of screams came from behind, and Ashley turned to face them.

"Hey guys!" she called cheerfully in greeting her classmates.

The two groups of classmates chatted excitedly to catch each other up, even though they had last parted only a couple of nights ago. The line started forming up again at the register when one of the newcomers asked Ashley if she was going to perform at the Beach Band Battle on Friday and Saturday. She said she had been invited by the organizers and hadn't made her mind up yet.

A clerk walked by and asked what the event was, and everybody pointed to Ashley. She snapped her fingers in a gesture of remembering something, looked at her watch and hurried off. Moments later, she reappeared and pushed a shopping cart full of CD's behind the electronics register. The clerk pointed to Ashley and beckoned her to come up.

Ashley shook her head. "Oh, no. These folks were here before me. I couldn't cut in front of them."

"No we aren't," the girl ahead of her said while gently pushing her forward.

The others followed suit until Ashley was at the counter. She had thanked each one on the way there.

"Regular or Decaff, sweetie?" the clerk asked.

Ashley laughed at her own silly marketing idea to label the packages those terms. It stemmed from a couple of years ago when she waitressed at a greasy spoon back in California. Cindy had objected to the term 'regular' since it implied that the album was nothing special, but Ashley insisted, thinking that this project was nothing more than a gift during spring break from a band who indulged a teenaged dream. The Decaff CD's only had the album and printed lyric booklet that was decorated with some of Ashley's doodles, where the Regular featured an outtakes CD, as well as images of the original handwritten poems that inspired Joe to write the music to. Those images were of interest not only because they showcased her elegant and elaborate handwriting, but it also displayed the doodles as they were drawn in the borders. The songs selected for this CD were written while Ashley was recovering from her emergency hysterectomy before Christmas break, and the doodles showed the gamut of feelings she experienced during that time.

"Regular, please," she said with a smile.

"I'd have thought you would have a case of these at your house," the clerk mused while finishing the fifty dollar transaction.

"I do, but thought it would be fun to go to a store and be able to buy something I created myself."

Ashley circled around to meet up and chat with her friends. She grinned when she heard the next person ask for one Regular and three Decaffs. The bottom of the basket had been full of the Decaff version, while the child's seat carried about 12 of the Regular's. Ashley was assured by the label that the special version warranted the triple price, but she seriously doubted that four would be sold.

A few seconds later, the person who was after her came up and asked for an autograph. Ashley asked for a pen and was handed a sharpie by Joe.

"Bought it while you were getting your CD," he said to answer her questioning look.

Ashley gave him a kiss. "Thanks, hon! You always know what I need."

"Not always, but I try."

"I know, and I love it."

She walked over to the photo counter nearby and the fan handed her the Regular package. She asked him what she should write, and he said that it was her choice. She popped open the cellophane and he gasped.

"What's wrong?" she asked while stopping her tearing.

"Uh, that was going to be a collectable, I hope."

"Oh, well, here. I'll trade you mine. I'm sorry, I didn't know what you were intending."

"No, it's okay. Just do what you were going to."

Ashley didn't know what to make of the man about 20 years her senior, but she finished opening the package. On the front cover, she wrote, "Thank you for your purchase! Best wishes!" She signed it with her first name, and under that wrote, "First autograph! YAY!" and marked that phrase with her decorated initials. On the CD itself, she penned her first name, and drew a heart on the french curve. A few years later, he posted the material on eBay along with an affidavit from Ashley attesting to her first autograph, and it sold for over $2500.

The next person came up and asked Ashley for a personal note, which Ashley indulged. Soon, a line formed, and she spent the next 45 minutes writing and signing. She giggled when Jasmine and Jill handed her their Regular copies, and wrote to thank them for their loving friendship. Ashley made a point to look each person in the eye when she was handed a copy, and the last hand was a familiar male holding the simple jewel case.

She looked up into his eyes. "Decaff, Joe? Really?"

He chuckled. "Those two grabbed the last copies of Regular. Besides, you already have one."

"Sold out?"

"Yup."

It was a childhood fantasy for her to be a star, and for so long, she had dismissed the idea as such, never believing she had enough talent to crack into the saturated market. For her, singing was just something she enjoyed on her own. Her parents sprang for voice lessons several years ago, thinking that it was a fad that would pass. But she stuck with them until last summer when her dad got transferred and they moved with him. Like Joe, she was multi-talented musically, able to sing and play guitar and violin. Joe's parents had him classically trained in piano and violin, and his polished talent would shine, when she could convince him to play for her.

photodad
photodad
492 Followers