An Unexpected Romance Ch. 154-165 - Final

Story Info
A Romance comes to a natural end. But not the love.
5.2k words
4.89
9k
20

Part 13 of the 13 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 08/01/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
ajroye
ajroye
346 Followers

Chapter 154

Coach Frost sent the equipment manager to the stands for a message to Michael's parents.

"Coach Frost wants you to know, Mr. Young. Michael passed the concussion test. He'll have 4 to 5 stitches after the game and a large bruise on his face."

"Thank you. Tell Coach Frost, thank you," replied David. Cathy moaned in gratitude.

Texas Tech added a run in the bottom of the 8th. The score... 5-0.

Then, Michael came out of the dugout for the top of the 9th.

The roar and applause was deafening. Larissa began to cry and Angela had to take her under the stands to get away from the noise.

James chuckled. "He looks odd with that white patch under the eye," he thought.

It didn't take Michael long to end the game. Eight pitches. Three outs. Two infield grounders and a foul out pop up caught by the first baseman to end the game.

Again, the crowd showed their approval.

If not for the single hit by the Wildcats, it would have been a perfect game.

28 batters. 27 outs.

James was very impressed. And smiled.

Angela had told James she would meet him at the concession stand after the game. When James finally reached her, she said, "What happened after we left?"

"Eight pitches is all it took. Two infield grounders and a foul out. One of the best games I've ever seen," he mused. "I'll take Larissa, now."

"Thank you," she moaned. "My arms are killing me."

"The players meet their families over there behind the third base dugout. Would like to go with me? I would like to congratulate Michael."

"Yes, I want to hug him, too. Larissa, do you want to see Michael?"

"Ya."

Chapter 155

It took Michael a long time to come from the training building. He was being interviewed by the local press and TV stations inside the building.

When he emerged from the building, a roar of approval went up. Along with his girlfriend, every teammate, parent, girlfriend, and fan wanted a word with him. He smiled and thanked each one, asking them their name, if he didn't know them. The cut he sustained in the 8th inning was clearly covered with gauze, his cheek swollen.

James and his 15 month old, Larissa, stood on the outside of the crowd and watched with smiles. He had been speaking with Tech fans and parents while waiting for Michael. Angela was with Cathy, holding her arm while waiting for Michael.

Out of nowhere, Pablo Ortiz walked up and stood next to James.

"What do you think?" he asked, with a nod toward Michael.

"Well... It's not every day you see a one hit shutout," James replied.

"I know. I should have expected something like this from him, but not this soon. He's been pitching well this season. Getting better each week. But, I didn't expect this tonight," Pablo offered. He then turned to face James.

"We end conference play in Norman next week. Then the conference tournament in Oklahoma City. Will I see you, and your pretty daughter, there?"

"I don't know. I don't have plans right now," James offered.

"OK... Make plans for the national tournament. We're ranked number 5 in the country," he offered, as he waved and walked away.

When Michael emerged from the crowd, he held his mother in an embrace. Angela, Emily, and Katie began smiling with joy, and gave him a hug also. Angela, the girlfriend, did, too. David hugged him as well. Grandpa Young shook his hand.

"How bad is it, Michael?" His mother asked.

"They want me to go to the hospital for a precaution. Will you come with me?" he asked.

"Yes... Yes, I will come with you," she sobbed. "You were wonderful, tonight, Son."

"Thank you, Mom. I felt great. Like never before," Michael offered. "I want to say something to Uncle James, then, I'll be right back."

As he left his mother and began walking toward James, Angela, his girlfriend, tried to follow him. He stopped her and said with a strained and painful smile, "Just me and Uncle James this time, Angela. I'll explain later."

"OK," she answered, with a little disappointment.

As Michael approached, James barked, "What have they been feeding you here?"

Michael tried to smile, but, it was too painful. James laughed at his pain.

"Congratulations, Michael. A game I won't soon forget," he offered.

"Ya eh ma," offered Larissa.

Michael tried to smile to his tiny cousin, but held her little hand in gratitude.

"Thank you, Uncle James," Michael replied. He dipped his head to gather his thoughts, then looked James in the eye.

"I haven't forgotten that morning at the breakfast table. I've thanked you for what you have done for me, but tonight... You deserve another. I told you that morning I wanted to play D1 baseball. It wouldn't have happened if not for you."

James nodded and did a great job of holding back a tear or two of joy. Flash backs of David and Cathy helping him when he was a young baseball player came and went.

"You're welcome."

Chapter 156

Angela watched Michael approach her husband; Larissa in her father's arm. She glanced around and found nearly every parent, teammate, girlfriend, brother, and sister standing in silence to see what was about to happen. They knew the two men were uncle and nephew.

Angela suddenly realized Michael was no longer the awkward, tall, and lanky teenager she knew from high school, just three years ago. He looked and stood just like James. Both men tall, masculine, and athletic. Dark hair and dark brown eyes. Square jaws. She began weeping in joy when she saw the two men shaking hands, and James nodding his head to Michael. She turned to see Cathy weeping, too, with her hands over her mouth, and nodding her approval.

She tried to run to James to collect Larissa, but was cut off by photographers and fans taking photos of the two men together. She tried to push herself to the front, again for Larissa's sake. It took her a full minute to reach James, who smiled when she arrived.

"I'll take Larissa now," she offered.

James gave Larissa up... Reluctantly.

Chapter 157

With his 4 month old son, David, in his arms, asleep, James was telling a tale about their cousin Michael. Listening, but often distracted, were Larissa, nearly 3, and Cynthia and Margaret, nearly 2. James paused from his tale, to reflect on his daughters who were listening to his words.

"I will die a fine death," he thought. "These little girls are killing me with the eyes their mother has given them." He nodded his head in gratitude for being their father.

Gathered around their Daddy's recliner, the girls listened as the tale continued, on this December evening after supper.

"As I mentioned, Michael had dominated the opposing teams for three weeks. In the final game in Omaha, Michael got the start he had dreamed. The Stanford Cardinal didn't have a chance. Already beaten in the first game of the final series, 12-2, the Cardinal had to face the unanimous college pitcher of the year, Michael Young."

Larissa let out a cute little gasp and her father chuckled as he continued with a dramatic voice.

"Michael pitched one of the most famous games in Omaha history. He put out 21 straight batters. Not one, mind you... Not one batter was allowed on base. He struck out 5, his infield put out 14, and his outfield put out 2, for a total of 21 outs. Not one hit allowed. Not one walk allowed. Not one hit batter allowed. Not one error allowed. His team had scored 6 runs in those 7 innings. In the end, Michael's coach, Coach Frost, felt he needed to come out, and put in the Texas Tech ace reliever, Martin Post."

"Why, Daddy?" ask Larissa.

"Coach Frost is a sly coach, Larissa. You see, Martin had a slider that broke 3 feet and batters swung at it so hard, they nearly fainted!"

Angela, listening from the kitchen, nearly died with laughter. "Don't you think there is a little too much imagination going on in there?" she yelled from the kitchen.

"Don't listen to your mother, Larissa. I saw a batter nearly faint at Martin's slider. Anyway, Martin did the same thing your cousin Michael did. He put out the next 6 batters with six strikeouts, and one of them nearly fainted!" he clucked, with emphasis on the fainted.

"Did Michael win, Daddy?" asked Larissa.

"Yes he did, Larissa. Texas Tech won their first national championship in baseball. Never in Omaha history, had a team put out 27 straight batters as Michael and Martin had done. They are now famous college pitchers, and it's only been... What, Mama? Six months since the game of the century?"

Angela came into the living room chuckling. "OK, Daddy. It was phenomenal what Michael and Martin did, but aren't you adding a little drama to the fainting part?"

"I don't think so," he groaned. "That last batter fell to the ground trying to hit that slider, ending the game. I say he fainted."

Chapter 158

"Hello, Brenda. I was thinking of you today. You and I haven't seen each other in two months."

James was checking the pens of Angela's prize bulls. Making sure they looked healthy on this cool January morning.

"You'll be seeing me soon," she offered. 'I'm coming to Texas to see you and Angela. And, those precious little girls and handsome son you have."

"Great! You'll be staying with us. No arguments about it," he barked.

"I planned on it," she quipped. "You have an appearance at the new dealerships in Lubbock and San Angelo. And the grand openings at the Pizza World shops in San Antonio. Two weeks from Friday. I'm taking the week off to stay with you after the appearances."

"Brenda... The kids ask about you all the time," he offered.

"Thank you. They are so cuuuuutte!" she giggled. "OK... Business... Mr. Turner has a message for you. Today, you will be receiving a phone call. You are to take the call because it is important. Don't ask me why or who, because I don't know. Carry your phone with you all day today so you can answer. The area code from the caller is 992."

"Not even a hint?" he asked... concern in his tone.

"Nope, Mr. Turner just smiled and said don't ask questions," she quipped.

"OK... Angela is looking forward to seeing you. And, I'll tell the kids."

Chapter 159

Angela was peering out the kitchen window watching James unsaddle Youngster from the day's ride over their 890 acres. Cynthia was standing and holding onto her leg for balance and asking for a piece of weez, aka, cheese. And Margaret was playing with Larissa. They had toy dinner plates and cups scattered across the kitchen floor. Of course, Larissa was giving Margaret instructions. David... he was taking a late afternoon nap.

As James left the stable for the house, she noticed how gray he had become. She could see it, even with his hat on from a distance. It didn't make him look older, but, it did make him look... a little sexy and handsome, she thought.

She also noticed his demeanor as he approached the house. "Something's happened," she thought.

As he stepped onto the back porch and shook the dust from his boots and clothes, she stepped outside to meet him with Cynthia in her arms.

"How are the bulls?" she asked.

"They're fine. Same as last week," he announced. "I set out feed, just like you asked. I also checked the steers on the north side. They seem fine, too. I did what you told me to do. May I have a kiss from you and the pretty girl in your arms?"

"I don't know," she barked, with a giggle. "You're all dirty."

"Dah dah!" chirped Cynthia, with her arms extended toward him.

"She wants me," he glared seriously.

"Don't do it, Cynthia. He's filthy!" she quipped.

"OK... I'll take a shower. But, there better be kisses and hugs waiting on me when I get out."

Chapter 160

All of his babies were asleep. He knelt at the side of Larissa's bed and kissed her a fatherly kiss on the cheek.

"Mmm," she cooed, as she rolled onto her side, and fell back to sleep.

He knew, at that moment, had it not been for the wreck in Kansas City, and the shortening of his baseball career, this little girl would not be in his life. He would not have met her mother.

A tear of joy ran done his face as he realized the circumstance of this moment.

He rose from the floor to leave her room and found Angela leaning against the door jamb.

"You are the best husband and father I could ever hope for," she whispered. "Thank you for stopping on the side of the road for me."

He took his young bride in his arms and gave her a warm embrace.

"There is never a day, I don't think about the day we met," he replied, in a whisper. "Thank you for being my wife and giving me these beautiful children. I love you."

They broke their embrace. She took the back of his head and pulled him into a kiss. Their kiss was romantic and loving.

As they broke their kiss, she whispered, "Something happened today. I can tell the way you were tonight. I noticed it when you came in from the stables."

He smiled a sly smile and replied, "I will never be able to keep any secret from you. You read me like a book and turn every page on me."

She giggled a soft giggle. "You got that right, Mister Young."

"Let's go to the kitchen. I have some news."

Chapter 161

James set a glass of ice water in front of Angela as he sat next to her at the kitchen table. He smiled and took a sip of his iced tea.

"What is it, James?" she asked.

He took her hand and continued with his smile.

"I received a call from Brenda this morning after I left to check the herd. The usual stuff. Appearances in Lubbock, San Angelo, and San Antonio in two weeks. She will be staying with us when we're done. She can't wait to see the kids."

He paused to measure his words, and Angela took note.

He nodded and began, "I also received another phone call this afternoon on my way back home. Brenda told me to expect it, but she didn't know why. Mr. Turner told her to tell me to expect the call."

Angela tilted her head in curiosity, and smiled. "Well?"

"I suppose it was the phone call I knew was coming. Considering what everyone has been telling me since I retired from baseball. I have been elected to the baseball hall of fame."

Angela didn't say a word. Emotions suddenly choking her chest and throat. She began weeping softly. Nodding gently at her husband as tears of joy fell on her cheeks. She took both of his hands into hers and nodded again.

"It's hard to believe it's been five years since I retired," he replied, with a slight quivering of his voice. "But, I realized, when I was in Larissa's room tonight, how fortunate my retirement was."

He choked down a soft sob.

"I met you just months afterward." He choked down another sob. "Despite my disappointment in giving up my career before I intended, a blessing was waiting for me here. In this house. A beautiful wife and 4 beautiful children."

Angela nodded through her sobs.

"If I had not been in that car wreck, I may have played another five, perhaps, seven more years. You and I would never have met. Someone else would have stopped to help you on the side of the road," he choked with a sob.

"Hold me!" Angela cried.

He left his chair and helped her stand. They embraced each other until there were no more tears to cry.

When the tears stopped, James released his bride from a warm and firm embrace, continuing to hold her hand.

"Angela... I want you to never forget what I am about to say. Since I left home to pursue my baseball career, these last five years with you have been the happiest. I mean it."

Chapter 162

"I love you, Daddy. I'm going to miss you."

James chuckled to his daughter. "I love you, Larissa. I'm going to miss you, too. But, not for long. You're going to live right down the road."

She smiled and kissed her 58 year old father good bye and took the hand of her husband to leave the KOC hall for their future together. A future with the new veterinarian who grew up in Thermopylae... 27 year old, Vince Sideris. The grandson of Dr. Sideris, who had retired. The 20 year old Larissa fell for an older man, just as her mother had. And her grandmother.

Vince told James he fell for her because of her eyes. That she cast a spell on him. And her beauty and naturally wavy black hair was the clincher. James knew how he felt.

As he watched Larissa and Vince walk toward their future together, a familiar hand took his own.

"I remember our wedding day. You were so handsome, I couldn't wait any longer. You still are very handsome," Angela mused.

He turned to look into the eyes of his bride of 21 years. Her eyes still hypnotize him to this day.

"I love you, Angela."

Chapter 163

"I love you, Daddy. I'm going to miss you."

"I love you, too, Cathy," James replied, to his youngest child. "And, I'm going to miss you, too."

With that, Cathy smiled, kissed her 67 year old father good bye and took the hand of her husband to leave the KOC hall for their future together. A future with a professional baseball player she met through her brother David, also a professional baseball player. His name... 25 year old, John DeLoach. A left fielder for the Detroit Tigers and a teammate of David. The 20 year old Cathy fell for an older man, just like...

Her mother...

Her grandmother...

Her sister, Larissa...

Her sister, Cynthia...

And... her sister, Margaret.

John had told James he fell in love with her eyes. She had cast a spell on him, and her beauty, olive colored skin, and her black naturally wavy hair were irresistible. James knew how he felt.

"Angela and I can finally have that Greek honeymoon," he mused in his thoughts.

As he watched Cathy and her husband walk toward their future together, a familiar hand took his own. As he turned to his bride of 30 years, he noticed his children gathering around him. Larissa, Cynthia, Margaret, David, Samuel, Michael, Nathaniel, and Mark. Their spouses were with them, along with his 20 grandchildren.

"I am so happy, Angela. For having you and all our children," he said with a soft sob. "There was a time I thought I would never have a family. Then, I found you on the side of the road. Now look, Angela. Look at all of these tiny children our children have brought back to us."

Angela kissed his tears away, laid her head on his chest, and embraced him. His three year old granddaughter, Helen, asked if he would hold her. And he complied with a wide grin and great happiness in his heart.

Chapter 164

"There were two outs in the bottom of the 8th inning. The bases were juiced. And..."

"Grandpa... The bases were juiced?" yelped 10 year old Maggie.

"Yes, Maggie. Juiced. It is slang for, the bases are loaded. All of the bases have a runner on them," her Grandpa Young replied.

"Come on, Maggie! You knew that. We talked about it last week, remember?" barked her brother John.

"That's OK, Maggie. I tell it better than John, anyway," mused Grandpa Young. "Come here and sit with me as I tell this tale."

Maggie yelped and leapt into her grandpa's lap and arms. Angela smiled loving to her husband from her chair across the room. Their children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren had returned to their home for Christmas.

Eighty four year old James smiled as he glanced around his large family room. There were 42 grandchildren and five great grandchildren gathered to hear him tell his tale. His children and spouses were gathered, too.

And, the daughters of his daughters... his granddaughters... all had Angela's eyes. They were all looking right at him.

"I can't concentrate because of all of the hypnotic eyes," he mused to himself. "I am so happy I stopped on the side of the road and met their grandmother."

"The bases were juiced. Your Uncle David steps into the left side batter's box with calm demeanor. The score was 6-4 and the Tigers were losing to the Mets. The seventh game of the World Series in Detroit. David takes the first two pitches for strikes. All seemed lost with his 0-2 count. Then, John Whitson, the pitcher for the Mets, thinks he can pull a fast one on David. He throws a changeup so slow, it looks like a floating balloon. But, David was looking for it. He knew it was coming."

ajroye
ajroye
346 Followers
12