All Comments on 'An Unforgettable Melody Ch. 00'

by auguy86

Sort by:
  • 9 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
ok

I like where this is going, just hope you actually finish this unlike some authors that have written a story about genies

FormerReaderFormerReaderover 8 years ago
Keep Going, Please!

I read Joe Brolly's entire series and loved it. Also the others who started but stopped. As Anonymous said, please keep going, don't tease us like so many others before. You also have a romantic feel going that Joe didn't have, and I really want to see how this turns out.

AhazuraAhazuraabout 8 years ago
very interesting!

I enjoyed this setup and am looking forward to more. thank you for sharing

sailandoarsailandoarabout 8 years ago
Very . . .

. . .nice, Thank you!

rightbankrightbankover 7 years ago
very nice start

You chose to feature one of the most beautiful and difficult to play trumpet solos written. It kept playing in my head as I was reading.

sali6435sali6435over 7 years ago
nice lead in

Definitely a beautiful musical piece to accompany the story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Strange

The religious tones are bizarre.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Interesting

A genie?

You write clearly ch 00 is coherent and well planned

It will need a twist beyond a genie to hold my interest for long

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

I can relate to the character's feelings about performing a Mangioné tune in front of a high school audience.

I felt the same way just being able to see 'Chuck' perform live in the '70's. I was a jazz fan before being a jazz fan became cool... and was a jazz fan after being a jazz fan was no LONGER cool.

Seeing him perform around 76-77 was transformative; he was at his talent/performance peak. There was no way to be the same person after having the chance to see him play.

I started playing horn when my group of friends starting in 3rd or 4th grade. Unlike my friends, I couldn't carry a tune in a bucket, wheelbarrow or a dump truck. I still remember the embarrassment of having our music/chorus teacher saying, "Let's hear that again, without George, this time."

As I transitioned from trumpet to a less difficult horn, (can't remember what it was), to an E flat Alto horn, (I was too small to play a tube), I doggedly kept trying to learn, because I desperately wanted to play in stage band and the marching band, my parts diminished until a part a remember well: I played the 'oomp', only, in the Oomp, Pah, Pah song!

Nothing else, just 'oomp' every so many stanzas. I had the desire and drive, I could read music like a comic book, (in the 4th grade), that was something, there was just this 'minor' problem with tune transportation.

I finally took pity on my music teacher, my mom and friends, and quit playing before junior high. Years later, I wondered why the teacher didn't push me towards the piano, where my inability to approximate any close to lousy pitch, let alone being 'blessed with perfect pitch', as one of my friend's report cards immortalized, one quarter.

There was no student piano player in the 3-4 cluster I knew through all 12 grades. Knowing everyone was a benefit of growing up in a town of 7,000; (10,000+ when the rural school districts were added).

Years later, when I easily learned to play piano in college, I wondered why the music teacher didn't channel my enthusiasm for music and performing into the piano. The one really talented piano player in our age cohort, hated to perform, and refused to.

He went so far as to completely quit playing in high school, to avoid having to perform. It was a shame; he loved playing, and would play for us all the time. He was extremely gifted, and could have readily played professionally, by high school age. Last time I talked with him, he was still playing for himself, (and his kids), and was starting his 4th decade as a school custodian.

I figure the reason I was channeled towards the piano had to do with me being the only child of a working poor, single mom. I'm sure she thought we'd never be able to afford a piano or private lessons; plus I didn't fit her perception of a piano player. I was a bit too wild to be cultured; something I got relative to my academic skills, which led to no career counseling, at all.

We funneled to a single, massive high school, after two years in one city and one rural/suburban junior high, (several of my friend's parents taught at the suburban jr high). Our small group of boys ended up getting to know the suburban & farm kids, through sports and social activities; especially the girls, since one of the 'rents was the girls PE teacher, and she making sure we 'mingled' with those hot sub girls, (not THAT kinda 'sub girls'...), as often as possible.

The height of her pre-adolescent social alchemy was when she facilitated a winter ballroom dancing taught privately, during 8th. This mom was really in our corner; she promoted the class heavily with girls from both jr highs, but did little to no promoting to boys from either school. One night a week, we had a passle of 8th grade girls as our dance partners.

To really make me agonize over my tune transportation weakness, the same group of 5 boys I started playing horns with formed a Herb Alpert 'cover band', (it was the '60's, the height of Alpert's popular fame), and performed all over the NW through out high school. They were very good.

Several of them made a huge dent in their college expenses with the money they earned. All the while, I had to sit and watch, because for me, those dots and five lines were just too damn heavy.

GeoD

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userauguy86@auguy86
Welcome, readers! My name is M.H. Barton, also known as auguy86. I am an author of erotic literature, dabbling mostly in romance and sci-fi/fantasy. I have lived for my entire life in the southern United States, aka "The South." I live here with my fantastic and loving wife, ...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES