An Unforgettable Melody Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

As the pair walked back towards the apartment complex, they stopped by the convenience store in the Shell station nearby. Approaching the counter, Mike could see that Syed was working that day, a man he had met and conversed with on several previous occasions. Mike noticed that his shelves and fridges were surprisingly well stocked as compared to the other gas stations in the area, which were well picked over. Asking Syed how it has been for him since the weather arrived, the immigrant from Pakistan described the great lengths he had gone to over the last day and half to prevent looting and shoplifting. He had been acting almost in a dual role, both as bouncer and cashier, to ensure his livelihood was not taken from him due to the extreme circumstances. Only one attempted shoplifter had been successful, with Syed showing the bruise on his shoulder from the scuffle that ensued as the thief barreled past him during his escape.

Thanking Syed, Mike could tell that Tyler was processing all of this information. As they approached their apartment complex, Mike asked Tyler what he had learned in the last hour. Tyler now realized that, in stealing what wasn't his, he would also be taking money, food, and ability to live away from another person; a person who worked hard for what they had. Still, Tyler knew that saying that to his friends was likely to result in them turning against him, with Mike confirming he was probably right, and that it sounded like he needed new friends.

Mike decided to leave the decision of whether or not to tell his mom up to Tyler. Thinking about it the entire walk through the apartment complex, the boy decided to tell his mom the truth. While Sandra was disturbed at the behavior his friends were encouraging, she was eternally grateful to Mike for providing the positive influence her son desperately needed. Thankfully, she was able to get her kids into a successful charter school the next fall, resulting in a much more positive social environment for both of them.

Snapping back to reality, Mike finally acquiesced. "All right, I'll make an appearance. And, is it ok if I bring a plus one?"

Sandra cocked her eyebrow. "Plus one? There a girl in your life I ain't found out about... yet?" She peered around Mike to catch a glimpse of Melody, who smiled and waved at her.

Mike laughed and rolled his eyes. "You'll meet her at the pool. We'll probably be there in about an hour or so," Mike said glancing at the clock. That would put them there around 5:30.

She shrugged, responding in her distinctive southern drawl, "Alright, alright, we'll see y'all later!"

"Bye, Sandra." Mike locked the door behind him. He turned to find Melody waiting in expectation. "So yeah," Mike finally said, "That's Sandra, my neighbor. Sweet lady."

Melody nodded. "I can tell. So, what oh what can we do for a whole hour?" The look on her face got more seductive by the second.

Shaking his finger at her, Mike replied, "Well personally, I haven't had a shower and a shave yet today, so I think I'll do that real quick. Gotta look presentable and all, right?"

Putting on her best pouty face, she whimpered, "Why do you keep resisting my advances? That's just so hurtful and mean and..."

Before she could finish, Mike grabbed her tight, planting a heavy kiss on her lips. As they parted he eyed her smugly and said, "First thing you gotta know about me: that pouty face has no effect."

She rolled her eyes in response. "And the second?"

"If we start something like that now, I'm pretty sure we'd never stop," Mike said with a wink.

Melody giggled. "That's probably true. Anything I should do while you shower? Want me to clean up around the house or anything?"

Mike shook his head. "No way, you're not my housekeeper. Why don't you browse through my video game collection, or maybe check out what's on TV? Develop those interests and whatnot, ya know?"

"Sounds great," she said, kissing him on the cheek before sending him off to take his shower.

Mike stripped down in his room, then made his way to the shower and turned the water on; stepping inside once it had warmed up. As he relaxed under the flow of warm water, he suddenly had an important thought. Sandra will want to know about Melody! Where she's from, how we met...

At first, he thought of immediately starting the conversation with Melody, but decided against it. Hey, Melody?

What's up? Enjoying your shower?

Yep. Real quick, help me remember to ask you something when I get out, ok?

You got it.

Mike finished up washing his hair and shaving, shutting off the water flow once he was done. He toweled off and combed his hair, then slipped on a red polo shirt and khaki shorts. Putting his glasses back on, he rejoined Melody in the living room. She had found his Nintendo 3DS.

"Playing Pokémon eh?"

"Yep," she said, smiling. "I can see why you like this game. It's got lots of strategy to it. Like a giant game of chess."

Mike nodded. "That's one of the reasons I'm so good at it. I can out strategize almost any human opponent."

She giggled. "Nice. So what did you want to talk about?"

"Yeah, I had the thought in the shower that Sandra is going to want to know about you. How we met, where you're from, that sort of thing. What do you think we should tell her?"

"Anything you want. We can always formulate a perfectly crafted backstory for me. That sort of thing is covered under my powers of anonymity and privacy. How do you think we would have met under normal circumstances?"

Mike thought for a moment. "Honestly, probably with online dating sites. It's a pretty mainstream way of meeting people nowadays."

Melody flashed that perfect smile. "Sounds great. To ensure that our story can be corroborated, I can use my powers to create online dating profiles on a website where we would have met. Sound good so far?"

He nodded. "Yep. Probably should make it one of the free ones though. Anyone who knows me knows I would never sign up for a paid dating website, since I'm pretty sure they're just a bunch of rip-offs. Let's do it."

Tingle. Flash. "Done. We now both have online dating profiles, set up to show an appropriate amount of correspondence before meeting."

"Ok, cool," he said. "Now, what about where you're from?"

"Sure, I can create the specifics of my background. That would allow me to blend in appropriately with modern society, ensuring our anonymity. My origin would obviously need to reflect my lack of family, since I can't just create people out of thin air. The easiest answer to that will be to make me an orphan. You'll need to decide where I am originally from, as well as a last name. Once those are settled, I can fill in the rest of the blanks myself."

"Alright, let me think... let's make your last name Roberts, and you originally come from Houston, Texas. If you can, see if you can develop a sweet little southern drawl; ever so slight, nothing extravagant. Let's say you're twenty-five. At that age, you'll likely need some form of degree or training for whatever we say you do for a living. Is that enough to get you started?"

Melody closed her eyes for a few moments. "That should work perfectly. Leave the rest to me. Is that an official wish?"

Doing his best impression of Patrick Stewart, Mike replied, "Make it so."

Tingle. Flash. "All set hun," she said with a wink.

Her new accent sent chills up his spine. "Ooh, that's sexy..."

By this time, it was nearing 5:20, so the pair decided to start walking towards the pool at the front of the apartment complex. Stepping outside, Melody's face became a symphony of childlike wonder. "Wow... this is incredible! I can feel the breeze, the warmth of the sun... it's better than I ever imagined it would be."

After finishing her unintended reenactment of the opening scene from The Sound of Music, Melody squeezed Mike in a tight embrace. "Thank you... I really am a lucky, lucky genie."

"Remember, all life has to offer you. Not because I allow it, but because you deserve it. Period." A couple of tender kisses later, they were headed off towards the pool.

As they leisurely walked through the complex, Mike asked, "So, Melody Roberts, tell me all about yourself."

She giggled, responding, "Well, I grew up in Houston, mostly in orphanages. My birth parents abandoned me at the door of a fire station when I was just a baby. I tried to get adopted several times, but the system is really messed up. I also tried to stay away from foster homes, having heard way too many horror stories about them. Thankfully, I developed an artistic streak in middle school and high school, and was able to combine that with a great essay about my childhood to attend the University of Houston on scholarship. I have a bachelor degree in photography, and just moved here at the start of the year to try to start a new life from scratch."

"Photography? Nice," Mike nodded approvingly. "Have you done many jobs?"

"Just a few odd jobs here and there, haven't really hit my stride yet. I did create some web space to house a portfolio with samples of my work. Plenty to convince anyone that my background is legitimate."

"Cool. So, I guess we were attracted to each other online based on our mutual artistic interests?"

"Definitely," Melody responded. "I also really liked the fact that you had such a strong faith in God. Having the upbringing that I did, faith was in seriously short supply, but talking with you about the great things it had brought you in your life convinced me that I ought to check it out."

Her face slowly turned rather serious. "That, by the way, is completely true. It's clear to me how important your faith is in your life. Seeing the incredible person it's made you into, I want to be a part of that too."

Mike was floored. He had no clue where magical beings such as genies stood on religious matters, but he had learned long ago that, if anyone or anything expresses any interest in religion or God whatsoever, you find a way to nurture and encourage that feeling. Otherwise, you run the risk of pushing them completely away from the idea altogether.

He smiled. "Well you're in luck. Tomorrow, we'll go to my church. Oh, and one of my childhood friends is giving the sermon tomorrow, so I think you'll enjoy that quite a bit."

She beamed, wrapping her arm in his excitedly. "Sound's wonderful."

As they approached the pool area, the pair could tell that the sound system had been hooked up. Melody's eyes widened, and a huge smile slowly appeared on her face. "What is that?"

"That, my dear girl, is country music."

She paused momentarily, taking it all in. "I love it!"

As they entered the pool area, the party was in full swing, with both the kids and adults enjoying the sounds of Chris Janson's Buy Me a Boat. Tyler and his friends were in the pool, fully engrossed in a game of chicken. As Mike was about to go over and say hi, a squeal came from the area by the grill.

"MR. MIKE!!"

Sandra's seven-year-old daughter, Sasha, ran up and tackled Mike full force before he even knew what was going on.

"Geez, Sasha! You're gonna turn into some kinda linebacker one day!" It was all Mike could do to keep from falling completely on his back. "How you doin', cutie? Working hard in school?"

Sasha nodded. "Yep! I got a check plus in reading this week. Oh! And we just had our big tap dancing recital yesterday!"

"That's right, you mother told me that was coming up. I'm really sorry I couldn't make it. I had a big performance of my own yesterday."

"That's ok, I bet we both did great!" As she smiled, it was clear Sasha was missing a few of her teeth.

"Mike! 'Bout time you showed up!" Sandra walked over from the grill area.

"Hi Sandra, great party you got going here."

"Thank you, dear. Now, forgive my being nosey, but I need to meet this pretty thing I caught a glimpse of in your apartment," she said in a motherly tone.

Laughing, Mike made the introductions. "Melody, this is my neighbor, Sandra Johnson. Sandra, this is Melody Roberts, my... girlfriend." Mike hesitated momentarily. Even with their bond, the two of them hadn't formally decided on any titles for their relationship yet. However, his concerns were quickly alleviated.

Girlfriend. I love the sound of that, Melody thought in his head.

Sandra extended her hand. "Melody, a pleasure to meet you my dear."

Shaking her hand, Melody replied, "Likewise, Mrs. Johnson."

"Oh, honey please! It's Sandra. Mrs. Johnson just makes me feel old."

Melody giggled. "It shouldn't. How old are you? Thirty-two? Thirty-three?"

Stunned in flattery, she stammered, "Oh, no... thirty-eight actually."

"What?! No way! You've gotta be using some miracle product. What's your secret? Come on, what?" Melody may have laid it on a little thick, but Sandra was responding very positively as they chatted.

After a few minutes, Sandra turned to Mike. "We're actually just about to start the karaoke contest. Now, I happen to know for a fact that you know every last word of The Devil Went Down to Georgia. So I guess the only question is, how much blackmail is it gonna take to get you up to that microphone?"

Melody gasped in excitement. "Mike, you've got to do it!"

He tried his best to back out of it. Mike was never one for public shaming, which is what this would be considering his singing abilities. That was, after all, the reason he got into trumpet playing. Unfortunately, Sandra had a trump card he couldn't beat.

"Besides, Sasha wants to show you her dance moves from yesterday's recital. I bet the two of you would kill it up there."

Damn, this woman doesn't play fair!

Seeing the child's face light up in anticipation, Mike knew he couldn't say no. "Fine, fine, let's do it kid!"

They made their way up to the microphone hooked into the PA system, waiting for the intro to start. As the Charlie Daniels Band cranked through they loudspeakers, Sasha's feet turned into a blur. Sure enough, Mike hit every last one of the tongue twisting lyrics of the song, bringing cheers from the partiers as he finished the final chorus.

Once the song ended, Sasha ran excitedly back to her mother, while Melody went to grab Mike and her a couple of burgers. Cheese and ketchup on mine please, Mike thought to her.

Sure thing. I'm getting everything on mine, since it's my first burger and all.

Tyler was now out of the pool and made his way over to Mike, greeting him with his traditional fist bump. "What's up, Tyler? Happy birthday man!"

"What's wrong with you? No present? Man, that's just rude..." Tyler said sarcastically. "Well, I guess watching you make a damn fool of yourself up there was a pretty good gift."

Laughing, Mike shot back, "Watch your mouth, man. You know your mama would slap you silly if she caught you talkin' like that."

"True dat. She's scary." He nodded his head towards Melody. "That you're new girlfriend?"

"Yep, that's her," Mike replied.

He chuckled. "Mom said she saw a girl when she stopped by your place earlier. If you ask me, this one's a BIG improvement over the last one."

Mike cut him off quickly. "Alright, alright, first of all, you are way to young to be talkin' like that. Secondly, you go around comparing women to each other, none of 'em will ever wanna go out with you. Get my drift?"

"Yeah, guess that's true. Girls, man. They got way too many rules."

Mike chuckled. "Some things never change."

"Anyhow, I'm off. We're about to start a game of Marco Polo."

"Take it easy Tyler. Stay out of trouble!"

As he ran off, Melody came over with their food. "Having fun?"

"You know it," Mike replied. "I'm glad Tyler and Sasha got into their charter school last year. They're both great kids, and now they can actually show it."

"Well Sandra's right, they both adore you. Not hard to see why," she said with a wink.

"So, what'd you and Sandra talk about?"

"Well, I told her how we met, where I moved from, all that stuff," Melody said. "She loved that I have an interest in photography; said there're tons of opportunities for good work around Atlanta." Melody's face turned more serious for a moment. "She really cares for you, you know."

Mike stopped chewing for a moment. "Why do you say that?"

Melody shrugged. "She made a point of asking me what my intentions are with you. She said you've been hurt in the past, mainly due to the fact that, when you decide to love, you love completely. She said you deserve something real, and that I needed to be on board with that."

Mike was dumbfounded. "She said all that? How... how did you respond?"

She smiled sweetly. "I told the truth. I told her that you're the most incredible man I've ever met in my life; that in the short time I've known you, you've brought more joy and fulfillment to my life than I had ever thought possible. I promised her that I would never hurt you, and that anyone who would is either brain-dead or heartless."

Mike didn't know what was more touching, Sandra's dedication to looking out for his best interests, or Melody's harsh rebuke of anyone who would ever hurt him.

Just as he was afraid he might get emotionally overwhelmed, Sasha ran over to tackle him one last time. "Mr. Mike! I have to go to bed soon, so I wanted to come say goodnight!"

"Well goodnight then, cutie! You danced really well today."

"Thanks," she said with an adorable little girl giggle. "I forgot to ask earlier, who's your new friend?" She looked shyly at Melody.

Mike got down on his knees to Sasha's level, motioning for Melody to do the same. "Sasha, this is Melody. She's my girlfriend. Say hi."

"Hi," she said timidly. Turning back to Mike, she whispered, "She's really pretty, isn't she?"

Mike couldn't help but beam. "I think you're right about that."

"So Sasha," Melody said, "I saw you and your mom playing a hand clap game earlier. Do you think you could teach me how to play?"

The little girl's face lit up. "Sure!"

Over the next five minutes, Sasha taught Melody all the finer points of "Miss Mary Mack." All too soon, Melody was handling it like a pro. As he watched them playing, Mike could tell what was happening. He had never expected it to happen this quickly, but he couldn't ignore the facts.

I'm in love with this girl. No holds barred, head over heels, in love.

Only the sound of Sandra calling her daughter for bedtime snapped him back to reality.

"I had so much fun with you today," Melody said. "Let's do it again soon, ok?"

"Ok. Goodnight!" Sasha ran off to her mother.

Discarding their paper plates and cups, Mike asked, "You ready to head back?"

"Sure am," Melody replied.

As they strolled back in the twilight of the early evening, Melody spoke rather hesitantly. "Mike, I have a question."

"Of course. What's up?"

"Well... it's just that, oh god, how do I put this?"

Mike put his arm around her shoulders. "It's ok. I just want to know what's on your mind. Nothing more."

She took a deep breath. "Ok. We both know about my innate nature of being a sexual genie servant. We both also know that, even if I weren't bound to you, I'd willingly choose to be with you in a heartbeat. With all of this, plus our obvious attraction to each other, I guess my question is, why haven't you made any moves to... take things farther with me? Please know that I'm not insulted, or worried. Just curious."

Looking directly into her eyes, he took her hands in his and began to explain.

"Melody, in today's modern world, I believe one of the biggest mistakes people make is to have the belief that 'sex creates intimacy.' I believe that giving yourself completely to someone else magnifies what's already there. If the relationship has trust, communication, and genuine love built on commitment, rather than desire, sex can only enhance that bond. However, if the relationship is built on superficial wants and desires, sex will, at best, bring nothing to the table or, at worst, cause the entire relationship to crumble.