Angels of Christmas Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"No ma'am." I said. "She has said nothing, nothing at all."

"Does she know how much you know?" Clarissa asked. "And does Laura?"

I shrugged. "I don't know. It's never come up for discussion. And unless you bring it up... it won't."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Tanya had taken over giving the girls the tour, and the Intel Center appeared to generate the most interest from them. They in turn generated the interest of the MCD and Vice Detectives, and Joanne Warner asked them questions about Louisiana, and about Tulane and LSU, which got them to open up and talk.

Meanwhile, Teresa had made a phone call. After my conversation with Clarissa, Teresa asked me to escort her aunt to the Chief's Conference Room. When we got there, I was (not really) surprised to see who was in the office with her: EMS Chief Leonard R. Cordell.

After introductions and me excusing myself, Teresa said "Dr. Cordell was in my father's unit in Viet Nam, and he pulled my father out of enemy fire, saving his life... and making my existence here possible."

"Ahhh." said Clarissa. "Yezzz, I would be very interested in hearing about that. He was not the same man in the war that he was at home with Teresa, was he, Dr. Cordell."

"I've heard the stories," said Dr. Cordell, "but I never saw him after we were flown out of Viet Nam. I can tell you that he was born to be an Army Officer, leading men in war. I made the rank of Admiral, playing the Game and the political games at times, but in all those years I never met a greater man and a greater leader than Teresa's father... until I met the Iron Crowbar."

"Tell me more." said Clarissa as Teresa excused herself and came to my office...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Meanwhile... Phyllis was talking with Laura in Laura's office.

"So, my dear," said Phyllis, "what is the trouble with Carole these days?"

"Don told you?" Laura asked harshly. "Or did Carole?"

"I was able to observe a few things before Teresa's aunt arrived," said Phyllis. "And I overheard Carole talking to her father at the park. Laura, if I were to tell you that Carole is becoming afraid to speak of anything she is feeling because she is becoming afraid of you... physically afraid of what you will do if she speaks... what would you say?"

"I'd say she has no reason to be afraid," Laura replied, "but at the same time she needs to learn manners and understand her place."

"And that's where I spoke to Don, and asked him about it." Phyllis said. "He said that you were more than harsh the other night, and that Carole resorted to lying to get you to stop haranguing her. He also made a very astute comparison... his sister Elizabeth growing up in our household."

Phyllis: "On some levels, it was inevitable what happened with Elizabeth. Certainly her father never understood her rejection of the Christian Faith. But I also realize now that we were too harsh on Elizabeth. I never took the time to talk with my daughter, to really talk with her and understand her side of things. And then things reached a point where it would not have mattered if I had reached out."

"So you think that's where Carole and I are headed?" Laura said with asperity. "Especially since her father is pretty much taking her side on these things, unlike your husband with Elizabeth."

"The analogy is indeed imperfect." said Phyllis, unperturbed at Laura's obvious irritation. "And no, things are not to that same level between you and Carole... yet." She paused, then said "Laura, I'm sharing this with you in the hopes that my experiences with Elizabeth were not in vain. Douglass learned from our mistakes, and treated Don much differently than he did Elizabeth, and Don flourished. I think Don simply wants Carole to flourish, and from a much younger age with a much greater head start."

"Well," Laura said, to end the conversation, "I'll just say this. Carole has to learn manners, and decorum, and how to act properly in this world. And I'm not going to stop teaching her those things, nor Jim, nor Don's other kids, if need be."

Phyllis bore down hard on her daughter-in-law and said "Laura... you cannot be to Carole what your Old Mother was to you. Especially since Carole is not buying in."

"So what am I supposed to do?" Laura asked skeptically.

"Talk to Don." said Phyllis. "Hash out your issues, and work out a way forward. And above all, make sure Carole knows how much you love her. I did not do that with Elizabeth... and we all paid a huge price for that..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

8:30pm, Tuesday, December 22nd. We were at The Cabin. I called the dogs to be taken out, and as they appeared at the back door, Carole asked "Can I come with you, Daddy?"

"Not this time, Fussbudget." I said. "Your mom's coming with me." Indeed, Laura was putting on her coat, and walked out onto the deck with me after the dogs burst through and ran around the corner to inspect their territories and do their business.

The fire pot was lit and warm, and Laura and I sat down together on the metal mesh loveseat in front of it. "It's a nice night." Laura said. "Clear, and cold."

"Yes, and we'll have good weather for the Christmas concert tomorrow night." I replied. Then, not delaying things, I said "Soooo, you talked with my mom, and with the Sheriff?"

"Mostly with your mom." Laura said. "Soooo, are you going to punish Carole?"

I said "I've talked her her and let her know that lying to us is not acceptable, not for any reason."

"That's it?" Laura asked.

"If she lies to us again, I'll have to do more." I replied. "But I think she got the message, for now, and we won't have the problem again." Sensing irritation in Laura, I said "What would you have me do?"

"She doesn't watch TV, so that would be moot." Laura said. "You could deny her the Internet for a month. Or you could ground her, and not let her visit Marie or have Marie visit her."

I said "I've checked on where she goes on the Internet. She's using it to study her school subjects further than they teach in the classroom, which is initiative that I did not care to take when I was in third grade, even if we'd had the Internet then. So cutting that off only hurts her."

I continued: "And I'm not going to punish Marie by telling Carole she and Marie can't see each other. Moot point anyway.. their desks are next to each other in their classroom. And I don't want to figure out the logistics of either you or me having to pick up Carole from school when Stephanie does it most days for us."

Laura said "You blasted Jim pretty hard for taunting Carole. I admit that he was wrong, but you told him you'd deny him access to the attic room for a month if he didn't stop taunting Carole about this."

"Yes, yes I did." I said, having had that conversation with Jim a half hour before, which is why the fire pot was lit. "Above just about all else, I don't want him and Carole devolving into the next 'Don and Elizabeth'. I want them to love and respect each other. There's ribbing, and then there's trying to hurt someone, and Jim was crossing that line."

"I agree." said Laura. "But you won't punish Carole for lying, which is worse."

"You're going to make me say it, aren't you?" I said, peering at Laura. She turned to look at me and I said "Laura, I told you already that Carole lied only because you were yelling at her harder than I've ever seen you yell at anyone. I genuinely was thinking that you were treating your own daughter as if she were a captured enemy spy being interrogated by the CIA."

Laura's face turned skeptical and dismissive, so I continued: "I really wish I could've videoed it, so you could see just how bad it was. Your face was contorted with rage. Carole was genuinely afraid of you, and that's why she lied... because she thought the truth would enrage you even more, and things would... escalate. Physically escalate."

"You don't really think I was going to physically harm her, do you?" Laura asked, knowing that that was what I was (more than) insinuating.

"No, but she did." I replied. "And I don't think she was just seeing it in your eyes and face. And it was so completely unlike you that it had me worried, too."

"Well," Laura said with exasperation. "I hope you know that I don't believe in spanking or corporal punishment, and I would never have physically harmed her. But Don... Carole absolutely must learn manners. She's already in trouble with her teachers at school, whether it's that fight with Sean Redmond or over the Christmas play." (Author's note: 'Four Square', Ch. 01; 'Christmas Mystery Theater Redux' Ch. 01.)

Laura continued: "We can't have her blurting out things, like asking me ahead of time about the University Presidency... what if she'd asked about that in front of a lot of people? Or if she talks about Police matters to someone she shouldn't? Carole has to learn to be seen and not heard. She has to learn to conform, and to obey. "

My eyes narrowed and I said "That sounds like something Lionel Carmela would say, and to suppress people's individual freedom. And that's what I don't want to do. I want Carole to blossom to her full potential, not be suppressed."

That struck Laura more than anything else. "I... yeah, you're right about that. And I'm not trying to suppress Carole..."

"Let me stop you right there." I said. "I think Carole's innate heightened perception, for lack of a better term, bothers you if not scares you. And you are trying to tamp that down." After a pause I said "Look, you can still teach Carole manners, and decorum, and the social graces... but teach them, with patience and motherly love. And leave the rest to me."

When all was said and done, we had our second armistice over Carole. But it would be up to Laura and Carole to repair their relationship, and I could not help them with that...

Part 9 - Concerted

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Wednesday, December 23rd, from the anchor desk of KXTC studios. "Dr. Sidney P. Wellman ls vacating his position as University President!"

After the hard-charging intro music, Bettina began: "University President Wellman announced overnight that he is retiring, effective after Graduation this coming May. Let's go to trusted reporter Amber Harris for more. Amber!"

"That's right, Bettina!" said Amber Harris, with the University Clock Tower across the road as her backdrop. "Channel Two News has learned that Dr. Wellman reached an agreement with the University Trustees and the University Ethics Board whereby he would retire effective at the end of the Winter-Spring Semester in May, and the Ethics Board would let drop the allegations against him without reaching any conclusion."

Amber: "Channel Two News has also learned that the University Trustees and some members of the Ethics Board met in secret yesterday and came to this compromise solution. None of the tenured professors that made the ethics allegations against Dr. Wellman would appear on camera, but Dr. Jan Camp of the Women's Studies Department and Dr. Juanita Rivera of the Romance Languages Department issued a joint statement saying, quote, 'We are deeply dissatisfied with this result. Wellman is what we thought he was, and they let him off the hook!', close quote. Back to you, Bettina!"

"Thank you, Amber!" Bettina said. "That's trusted reporter Amber Harris with that important information. And for more, let's go to reporter Pat Stellum. Pat!"

"That's right, Bettina!" said the fat, Al-Capone-'ish' reporter, his trenchcoat ill-fitting on his overweight body, as he appeared near the President's House on the north side of Campus. "Student groups are outraged at the compromise agreement, and are continuing to demand Dr. Wellman resign and leave immediately! And the condemnation is coming from all political sides, as the State Right To Life Committee, led by the Reverend Steven Ikea, condemned the compromise, saying that Dr. Wellman and his wife's illicit and unethical behavior is being allowed to be swept under the rug!"

Stellum: "Dr. Lionel Carmela, the respected head of the Political Science Department spoke off-camera with me, and said simply 'While I am unhappy with this decision, Sidney Wellman is leaving in disgrace, his reputation ruined, and the University's standing in tatters. I will be watching with great interest to see who the Governor and Trustees pick as his successor.', close quote."

Stellum: "Dr. Carmela also said that it's time to move on, and that he is much more interested in stopping the illegal Christmas concert on the grounds of University Hospital, and denying the Cancer Children the opportunity to participate in what he calls a 'despicable religious atrocity on State property'. Back to you, Bettina!"

"Thank you, Pat." Bettina said. "And the Christmas concert is scheduled to begin at sundown, approximately 5:30pm, and will feature a choir composed of several area churches, performances by T-Square and the Cancer Children, as well as other surprise performances."

Bettina; "Hospital Board Member and Police Operations Commander Teresa Croyle, who is is the event's organizer, said in a statement that the concert is a tribute to America more than any particular religion. She did not respond to repeated requests by KXTC Channel Two News for more information on the concert, nor its security arrangements..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"As if we're going to tell KXTC our security arrangements, so they can just run to our enemies with that information." I said witheringly as the Sheriff, Chief, myself, and my three Angels drank coffee and watched in the Chief's Conference Room.

Sheriff Griswold said "Just mentioning security arrangements suggests they're needed. KXTC is just trying to gin up fear."

"Sir," said Deputy Chief Tanya P. Muscone, "there may be more to it than that. KXTC did call and tried to get ahold of Teresa, then Captain Thompson... during normal business hours, not at their usual times when they know we're not here."

Teresa said "It does feel like one of their typical set-up questions. They may know something we don't, perhaps a threat, but aren't telling us what it may be."

"Even so," I replied, "we will be ready for any problems. Governor Jared is sending State Patrol volunteers."

"And some of my buddies just might show up."Tanya said. "To hear the children sing, of course."

"Of course." said Chief Moynahan, his voice skeptical.

Lt. Commander Teresa Croyle said "I'm sure we can handle any problems, but I hope there won't be any. We've got some great groups performing, and not just Christian groups. And the Cancer Kids are almost as excited for this as they are for 'Bowser Day'."

"So who is composing this combined choir?" I asked.

Teresa replied: "That's part of the surprise, and that's why I asked you to come early and meet them, Don. And The Maestro has been working with them. It's going to be great."

The Maestro was Dr. Wolfgang Strauss, the German-born composer who had written two major operas before his 13th birthday, and was considered the foremost conductor of our time, having conducted the Boston Philharmonic Orchestra and the New Orleans Symphony Orchestra. He had accepted the position of head of the University's School of Music some years before, considerably upgrading the reputation of that School and the University.

He was tall and slender, with a shock of white hair that reminded me of my uncle, Dr. P. Harvey Eckhart, but Dr. Strauss's face was more fierce and more Teutonic, and his blue eyes seemed to blaze with energy when he was 'into' conducting a concert.

His students had gone on to great careers, as musicians and as composers. He was known to be a hard-driving taskmaster, but those who submitted to his grueling work ethic were rewarded well in their lives. Alice, the teen violin player and once a cancer patient at the University, was one of his students.

"Wow." I said "The Maestro isn't known for charity works. Why did he volunteer?"

Teresa said "His student Alice is one of our performers, and was once one of the Cancer Kids before she went into remission. Also, he and some relatives escaped from East Germany to the West, but his parents didn't make it. He's never forgotten what East Germany was like, and that's one reason he came to America."

"Soooo," said the Chief, "who can tellll us about this remarkable deal between Dr. Wellmannnn and the Trusteeees?"

"Don't look at me." I said as everyone looked at me. "I haven't heard a word, not even from Laura... if she even knows."

Teresa said "Well, I happen to have a reliable source, that being my husband who is on the Board of Trustees. After dinner last night, while Aunt Clarissa held Court with our boys and impressed them with her stories of Louisiana and making rum out of sugar and molasses, Todd told me a little about the negotiations."

Teresa: "He wasn't sure exactly how Carmela was convinced to go along with it, but Governor-elect Marshall brokered the compromise. Actually, almost everyone was amenable to it, letting Dr. Wellman slowly fade away and letting the story die down. You'd think Dr. Camp, Dr. Rivera, and Dr. Carmela would be the biggest problems, and they didn't like it. But I'm told Harold Truelove was the biggest stickler, and he's working with the State Right to Life Committee to publicly protest the deal."

Cindy's voice was full of amazement as she said "Truelove was a bigger obstacle than Carmela?"

Teresa replied "From what Todd was saying, yes. Todd has no idea what Carmela was offered or threatened with, but he had Camp and Rivera back down and let the Ethics Board table the complaints."

"Maybe what Stellum reported is the key." Tanya astutely said. "He said Carmela is watching who gets picked to succeed Sidney. Maybe they offered him input on the selection of the next President?"

"I'd say just the opposite." I said. "No, I don't know anything for sure, but I'm guessing Sharon Marshall twisted his arm------ ohhhhh, of course!"

My reverie was long enough for Teresa to have refilled everyone's mugs, including my own, with more coffee. Finally I spoke: "Okay, that makes sense. And I've got to hand it to Sharon Marshall. That was... crowbar-worthy."

"What was crowbar-worthy?" Cindy asked. "Or do I need to come over there and administer a very worthy crowbar beatdown?"

I smiled and replied "And beating me down for two, eh? Seriously, I don't know for sure, and maybe, in a spirit of bipartisan harmonious cooperation, Katherine Woodburn worked with Ms. Marshall. At any rate, I suspect they threatened Carmela, possibly with that FBI investigation that is still ongoing, and the Governor could use that to suspend Carmela pending stripping him of his tenure and firing him. And maybe they dangled a carrot... not so much offering him anything, but addition-by-subtraction: removing a threat. And until I confirm my suspicions, I'll say no more about it for now."

"Man! you are asking for a beatdown." Cindy complained.

"So, Crowbar," said the Sheriff, his mustaches twitching merrily, "is Laura going to be the next University President?"

"I have no idea, Sheriff." I said, realizing the full intent of his question. "We didn't talk about it. But we did resolve our drapes-hanging issues, so the Troy Household is much happier now." I hope, I thought to myself. I hope...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I'd halfway expected Laura to call me about the Wellman business, but when she hadn't, I am sorry to say my patience and my restraint broke, and I called her.

"No, I don't know anything." Laura said. "The scuttlebutt is that Sharon Marshall forced Carmela to back down and he conceded. I don't know what she had on him, and I wish I did!"