Angels of Christmas Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Stellum: "Dr. Carmela, would you accept the University Presidency if you were offered it? And if not, who would you recommend?"

Carmela: "I would, but I don't expect to be offered it. As to who would be a good fit, I'll say only that it must be someone with no past or present ethical issues, and someone who can show the University the Way Forward and guide it along that path."

Pat: "Thank you, Doctor. Back to you, Bettina!"

"Thank you, Pat." said Bettina. "And we thank Dr. Carmela for responding to our request for comment. And in a related story, let's go to trusted reporter Amber Harris for more on the situation of the University Presidency. Amber!"

"That's right, Bettina!" said the athletic blonde reporterette, standing on the same rooftop Carl Lemay had been standing on, but with the State Office a building in the background. "Channel Two News has learned that deeply unpopular lame duck Governor Val Jared will not attempt to nominate a successor to outgoing, disgraced University President Sidney P. Wellman, but will leave that to Governor-elect Sharon Marshall."

Amber: "The Office of the Governor-elect responded to requests for comment with a statement, which read, quote, 'Governor-elect Marshall is carefully considering several excellent candidates for the University President position, and is working with the Trustees on the hiring process. The Governor-elect notes that there is plenty of time to complete the process, as President Wellman will be on the job through Spring', close quote..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"I don't give a damn what anyone says, I am not giving up my GOJMC leather jacket." stated Deputy Chief Tanya P. Muscone as she, the Sheriff, the Chief, Lt. Commander Teresa Croyle, ADA Paulina Patterson, and I drank coffee while watching the KXTC propaganda-cast.

"Damn right." I said. "You earned that jacket." (Author's note: 'The Four Boxes of Liberty", Ch. 05-06.)

"Stillllll..." drawled the Chief, "the optics are terrrrr-i-bullll on thaaat. And I know you are going to say that this GOJMC group is benign, and composed mostly of Christian motorcycle clubs, but the Press is sure as hell not portraying them that way, and the Feds are just jumping at the chance to call groups like that Insurrectionalists and Seditionists... and claim that several of my Officers as well as the County Sheriff are Seditionists along with them."

The Chief was at the near-end of the table to the door, with the monitor screen over the seat at the far end. I was to the Chief's left, and I was studiously looking at the screen and not over my shoulder at the Chief. I was also concentrating on not saying anything insubordinate.

Teresa correctly observed the flush on the back of my neck as well as my ears turning red, and attempted to mitigate the situation. "Paulina, what's our legal status, here?"

Paulina said "Nance was totally wrong every step of the way. His Order to shut down the concert was unlawful. He can legally swear in State agents, from the Governor to Town & County officials at every level, including deputy LEOs. But after that, he's in a Catch-22: it's very unlikely he can swear in his own police force, and Judge Folsom hit the spot with the ruling about Separation of Powers. And if it is deemed legal to swear in those thugs like he did, Sheriff Griswold is right that he, not Nance, is their legal superior Officer. Even the State Patrol has to respect any Sheriff's position in his or her county in this State."

"And that's why we should have let the State Patrol and our Uniformed Officerzzz handle that situation." said Chief Moynahan. "Having those motorcycle riders not only there, but acting as your bouncers for the event was just asking for truh-blll."

"With all due respect, sir," Tanya said, "they had every right to be there at the concert, no matter what those racists at the DOJ Civil Rights Division say about them. And if some of them were prepared to help defend against thugs wielding chains and locks and tire irons and crowbars, I'll take that help any time."

"And I did deputize a lot of them months ago." growled Sheriff Griswold. "So they had legal standing to serve and protect the attendees at the event."

"Sheriff," said the Chief, "with respect, it's not about the legalities, it's about the optics! And those bastards at the DOJ and KXTC are running with this as hard as they can. Perception is the reality, and the Press is telling people what to per-ceeeeve."

I saw out of the corner of my eye that Teresa and Tanya were looking over at me. I almost imperceptibly shook my head. Then I said "Changing the subject... Teresa, is your family back home?"

"Yes sir." Teresa said. "They left yesterday morning, and the BOW Enterprises plane got back last night. They had a good time, and Beatrice and Genia got along with Jack's kids Tiffany and Jennifer very well. I was a bit surprised how interested they were in the University when we toured it Saturday, but I don't expect Beatrice to give up her goal of going to Tulane."

"How did your boys take to their new family?" Tanya asked.

"Pretty well." Teresa replied. "I was surprised how well little Jack got along with Aunt Clarissa. He asked her a ton of questions about Louisiana, about the traditions down there... and about making rum."

"That boy bears watching." growled the Sheriff. "Why is he worried about rum when bourbon exists?" We all laughed, then the Sheriff said "So, Crowbar, what did you think of Bettina's broadcast?"

"There was a lot of interesting stuff there." I said. "Especially Carmela's interview and Sharon Marshall's statement."

Paulina said "I understand what you're saying. Carmela and Ms. Marshall are trading barbs through the Internet. He's trying to influence when Dr. Wellman leaves, and also who might replace him."

Tanya said "I caught his little shot about the next President not having ethics issues. Sounds like he's worried that Ms. Marshall might put Laura in the position."

"And rightly so." I replied.

"She's interested in it?" Teresa exclaimed.

I shrugged. "She hasn't said 'no', at least not yet."

"Shut the front door!" Teresa said. "And how do you feel about it?"

I shrugged again. "As always, I'll support whatever she decides."

That got Tanya peering at me. After a moment, she grinned her cherubic grin as her eyes sparkled merrily...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"You didn't say hardly anything in there." Teresa said as she and Tanya sat with me in my office prior to the KFXU 8:00am broadcast. "Especially about the standoff with Nance and his thugs."

I said "Chief Moynahan was on a roll about that, especially us wearing GOJ sweaters... and he wasn't wrong. The optics are potentially bad on that. So I considered discretion to be the better part of valor, and I let the Chief have his rant without any insubordination from l'il ol' me. I'd've gotten in trouble if I'd said anything, especially the Truth."

"Will the USDOJ come down on us for that?" asked Teresa.

"That is up to the USDOJ." I replied. "We'll deal with it when the time comes..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

After the KFXU broadcast, which discussed the Christmas concert standoff in much friendlier terms towards me, the Police, and the GOJMC, we began the 'Angels+1' meeting.

"I'm going to be out of the loop for a little while this morning." Teresa said. "I'm going with Cindy and Callie to look at a piece of property they might can build a house on."

"They better hurry." I said. "Cindy's baby is due in mid-January. And are you buying their condo, Claire?"

"Already bought it, sir." said Captain Claire Michaels. "We close Thursday, the 31st. Commander Ross and Callie are moving everything tomorrow into the 'safe room' house on Reservoir Road for the time being."

"Cool beans." I said. "Okay, hopefully the criminals of our County had a merry Christmas and will take a few days off from crime, maybe watch a few bowl games instead of giving us any work to do... and giving everyone in this room time to get year-end paperwork done. Hint hint."

*BRING!* *BRING!* *BRING!* *BRING!*

It was my landline phone. After answering, I said "The Chief wants to see me in his office. So y'all can get onto that paperwork now..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I felt a sense of relief when Chief Moynahan's assistant Cassie waved me into the Chief's office instead of formally opening the door. I felt more relief when the Chief said "Have a seat, Commander." before I got halfway across the office to his desk.

I sat down and the Chief took his badge off his shirt and put it on his desk. "Stay within protocol, but speak freely." I took off my badge and put it on the edge of his desk.

"I notisssed that you did not say anything in the morning coffee klatch, even after I made some rather Crowbar-'ish' remarks, intensity-wizzze, anyway." said the Chief. "Your Angels were disturrrrrbed by your silence, I could tell. Sooooooo, I appreciate your restraint and decorum, but now's your chance to say anything you want. Keep it clean, of course. Do you disagree with me about the horrible optics of the situation at the concert?"

"Yes sir and no sir." I replied. "You're right that the Media took the opportunity to paint us in a bad light. But we only wear those sweaters once a year, at the concert. Also, we could have let the Uniformed Police or the State Patrol confront the thugs, but then the Press would've just said the Police were acting unlawfully, exercising brutality."

"And to that point, Chief," I continued, "in my opinion, the slugs would have engaged any Uniformed LEOs in personal combat, especially for the optics. I suspect all of us in civilian clothes opposing them threw them off their game plan, and a lot of them backed away rather than engage us. And the USDOJ racists would've really loved it if it had been the TCPD or Governor Jared's State Patrol opposing the thugs."

"Could well be. Could well be." the Chief replied. "But as it is, the USDOJ has their sought-for opportunity to call a Christian motorcycle club Seditionists. And they're saying the County Sheriff and both TCPD Commanders are part of that Insurrectionist group. That is where I'm getting heartburrrrrn."

"And I think you'll see a retaliatory response to that." I replied. "Chief, we have every right to free expression, including wearing sweaters of a peaceful, patriotic group. Just because the same shit-eaters that say violent protests burning down buildings are 'peaceful' are now calling those Patriots 'insurrectionists' doesn't make it so. I actually think this is a good thing, and very much needed if we're going to keep Totalitarians like Carmela from destroying our Free Speech rights completely."

"To a point, Commanderrrrr, to a point." said the Chief. "But as you yourself like to say: 'keep abreast of the tactical situation at all timezzzz'. Next time, and I hope there isn't one, either stand back and let others handle it... which I know you will never doooo... or take the GOJ sweater off before going out and reducing Nance and Carmela to little wet spots on the grounnnnd. Are we in agreement on this?"

"Speaking freely? No sir, we are not." I said. "I think what we did at the concert was exactly correct.

The Chief picked up his badge and put it back on his shirt. "Okay, then. We'll fight the God-cursed Press like hell, and deal with the Court cases and the Feds as they come to us. Unless there's something else, you can gooooo."

"Yes sir." I said, picking up my badge as I stood up and putting it back on my uniform shirt as I hastened to exit the Chief's office...

Part 13 - House on the Hill

10:00am, Monday, December 28th. Teresa drove her Police SUV past Promontory Point, then turned right off the paved road onto a two-track trail that went east and over the hill. The weather was clear and cold, and the ground was firm and easy to traverse. After going a quarter mile over the undulations of the terrain, Teresa stopped.

"That line of trees is the crest of the ridge that overlooks Reservoir Road." Teresa said as she got out of the car. Cindy and Callie got out of the backseat, bundled against the cold, and came to the rear of the SUV, where Teresa had gone. She was unfolding a large map of the area, which had property line plots on it.

"The 'safe room' house is at the bottom of the mountain directly ahead of us. You can see it if you walk into the woods about 100 feet, but in your condition, Cindy, I don't recommend that."

"Neither do I." said Cindy. "So what is special about this?"

Teresa pointed at the map. "The property next to that house, which you bought an option to purchase, goes all the way up the mountainside to the treeline in front of us. You can clear this land relatively easily and build a house on it, once you exercise that option and close on the property. And this two-track dirt trail is County property, and you can have them pave it to your property line."

"That would be nice." said Callie, looking back towards the north and west. "But the views to the front are just of the mountain, kinda like near the Observatory. We can't see into the Valley where the Town is."

"True enough." said Teresa as she opened a black plastic box. "But I borrowed this drone from Ranger Halston so we can see over the treeline." With that, she put the drone together, attached a camera, checked to make sure the video was transmitting to her Police iPad, and then used the remote control to start up the drone and have it take off.

They watched the iPad video as the drone went upwards and towards the treeline. As it cleared the highest trees, Cindy and Callie gasped. The view was high over Reservoir Lake. They could see the row of houses on Reservoir Road, the houses on Reservoir Drive on the other side of the lake in Nextdoor County, Lakeside Inn & Suites on the other (south) side of the lake, and very far southeast into Nextdoor County.

"That will be a magnificent view!" Callie exclaimed.

"Yes, it will be." Cindy said.

"You can clear out enough trees to have that view from the back deck you'll build as part of the house." Teresa said. "It's not the Town, but it will be good, and darn near unique; there are really no other houses up here, and these lots you control are about the only good places you can build, as well as get water, gas and electricity up here."

Cindy already had her iPhone out and was making a call as Teresa brought the drone back and landed it. After a few moments of conversation, she disconnected and said "Do not pass 'Go', do not collect $200. That was my lawyer, and she's going to meet us at the Title Office. I'm going to exercise the option, and since all the prep paperwork is done, we might be able to close as soon as Thursday. Let's go before someone else that might have seen the drone figures this out."

"You're almost as paranoid as the Iron Crowbar." Teresa said.

"Must run in the family." Cindy replied. "I don't want to lose this one..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

12:00 high noon, Monday, December 28th. I was led to the back 'Command Room' of the Cop Bar, where Deputy Chief Tanya Muscone and her husband, FBI Special Agent in Charge Jack Muscone, were waiting for me.

"We already ordered you the Double Breakfast Cheeseburger Plate." said Jack as I took my seat, facing the door as I usually did, Tanya to my left and Jack to my right.

"Darn, I was going to get the Quiche and Tofu Plate." I said with a grin.

"That will be the day." Tanya said with a gleam in her eye.

"Is that still a thing?" Jack asked. "Real men don't eat Quiche?"

"I dunno." I said. "It was big when I was in Junior High school. I don't know why I just thought of it. Anyhoo, the Double Breakfast Cheeseburger Plate will be great. So why this lunch invitation, Jack, when you could be dining alone with this Angel who is much prettier than I am?"

"Business before pleasure, I'm afraid." said Jack. "I just wanted to give you a heads-up about that situation concerning the Christmas Concert confrontation. The USDOJ really is looking for ways to paste Christian groups and Patriotic groups as racists and domestic terrorists, and they see the GOJMC as the perfect group to make a huge example out of."

"As well as coming after the TCPD?" I asked.

"I'm speaking more generally, for the moment." Jack said. "The Swamp Frogs see this as a chance to demoralize Christians as well as Patriots that stand for the Constitution by crushing one group with every bit of triphammer power they can muster. They're going to have the Press gin it up as if this group stormed the State Capitol and murdered Police Officers, then come in with public arrests followed by subjecting the GOJMC members to solitary confinement, harsh interrogations, limited food, the works, until they get someone to break and 'confess' to crimes they didn't commit... standard stuff they've been doing to people they call domestic terrorists and insurrectionists."

I said."I'd say that was fantastical to even discuss, except they've done similar things to me... multiple times." (Author's note: 'Dream Weaver'; 'No Way Out'.)

"Exactly." Jack said.

Tanya said "But I happen to know that my GOJ buddies are not letting the grass grow under their feet. Stay tuned for further developments."

I nodded. "Yeah, if they do it right, they won't have any problems. I'm much more concerned about... Tracy Stone." That causes Jack and Tanya to look at each other. Tanya burst out laughing.

"Yes," said Jack, "now we go from the general to the specific. Tracy is assigned to my ASAC, Karina White. Karina, EAD Owen Lange, and I have come under fire by the Brass in Washington. They are demanding we suspend Tracy without pay while an investigation is made of her actions confronting Nance and his thugs."

"What did she allegedly do wrong?" I asked. "There was no physical violence; the slugs backed off like the cowards they are. Nance was wrong in every legal way, and the State Supreme Court will likely refer Nance for impeachment, even after being voted out of office. Once the Courts rule against Nance, I fully intend to pursue criminal charges against him, using the TCPD and the SBI to bring the hammer down on him, but I digress... my point is that once Nance has been shown to be wrong, what does Tracy have to worry about?"

"That's what Karina told them, and in much stronger terms than you just did." said Jack. "And EAD Lange, myself, and even FBI Deputy Director Lance have said Tracy did nothing wrong and no action would be taken against her. But the problem is the same as the GOJMC issue."

Jack continued: "The Swamp Frogs, in lockstep with Socialists like Carmela, race-baiters like Ava Hinds, and the corrupt Mainstream Media, are looking for targets to make examples of. An FBI Agent that stood with (air quotes) 'White Nationalists' against a dirty judge trying to shut down a Christian event is exactly what they're looking for, to demoralize and intimidate any good FBI Agents that don't toe their line and their agenda."

"The FBI cannot possibly have gone that corrupt, can it?" I asked in sheer disbelief.

"With the ultimate Swamp Frog, Director of National Intelligence Brendan Chapel pulling the strings," Jack replied, "you bet it may have already. I'll give you a clue to how it will go. If Martin Nash is assigned to do an OPR investigation of Tracy? She probably will be okay. But if they bring in the Rovers BAU team? It'll be uglier than Nancy Pelosi without makeup."

Our food had come, and despite the bad news I followed the Cerone Doctrine to eat well no matter what, and soon our plates were cleaned of food. Then Tanya said "Don, what's going to happen with Sidney and the University President situation? Will Carmela let it go? Or will he try to force Sidney to leave before May?"