Animal Café Ch. 31

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Yeah... She likes that room a lot. We can't change it."

The inner strength of a person often took the strangest forms.

***

Six years later...

"Vicky! You are going to be late for school. Turn off the TV and come eat."

"I don't want to go."

"Sure you want to. School is fun."

"People call me names because of my scars."

"Yes, and they get punished for it. And that boy who stole your lunch got suspended. And it was not because of your scars. It was because you are smaller than him, and he thought he could intimidate you."

Vicky turned off the TV and walked to the kitchen to grab her now cold peanut butter toast that her mother had prepared ages ago. She climbed on the stool and knelt on it.

"I don't want to be small anymore!"

"Why not? You've always been small. That's a blessing. You are adorable."

"People pick on me because of my scars and also because I'm small. I don't want to live like that."

"Ah. Seriously. That's not because you are small. That's because you let them do it."

"MOM! What do you want me to do!? There is nothing I can do to make them go away."

"That's not true. Look at your chubby friend... What's her name? She is as short as you, and nobody bugs her."

"Beatrice!? That's because she kicked a boy in the nuts really hard last month. The nurse had to put ice on his crotch. She thought he had a fractured testicle. People fear her now."

"See, she found her own way to deal with her problems. I can't picture you hurting someone physically as she did, but I'm sure you can find a way to solve your issue."

"Mmm... I don't think so. Beatrice has no scars to deal with."

"We talked about this, Vicky. Everybody has scars. They are just not always visible. But in the case of Beatrice, she is very chubby, so I'm sure people are making fun of her because of her weight too. Why don't you spend more time with her, anyway? If people fear her, maybe they will leave you alone."

"Meh... She is not my real friend. We never talk."

"Well, start with that then. Go see her and have a chat. Invite her over to watch a movie or something."

"Meh..."

"Alright... You'll be late again. Go to school now."

"Okaaay."

Vicky jammed the remainder of her concrete-textured toast between her teeth and grabbed her lunchbox, the one with the fox on it. She waved at her mom and trotted to the front door. When she was like that, it was almost a reminder of how energetic she was as a kid.

As she was about to exit the penthouse, the front door magically opened. In the doorway was Lucy, who came for an impromptu visit like she often did.

"Hi, Vicky! Late for school again?"

"Yeshhh... Showwy..."

With her toast between her teeth, she ducked under Lucy's arm and headed to the elevator. She was the cutest thing in the world. Lucy entered the penthouse and closed the door behind herself before addressing Vicky's mother.

"How does she manage to be so darn adorable?"

"I have no idea. I might have passed an odd gene."

"Apparently. So, how are things?"

"So good. There are some challenges at school, kids being kids, but outside that, I think Vicky will be just fine. She is never going to get rid of her hoodies, though."

"Ah, that's fine. It just makes her look even cuter. And what about you?"

Vicky's mother and Lucy had learned to become friends over the years, allowing this familiarity level. Lucy had eventually shared her true story with her several years ago and explained the whole reason for her involvement with everything that had helped Vicky grow as a healthy sixteen-year-old girl. The bond that this trust had created had metamorphosed into a healthy friendship between two mothers who had gone through hell. To make things even better, Vicky had learned to love Lucy as well and to treat her like a cool aunt.

After brewing some coffee, they both sat in the living room for a little chat. Things were about to change, and there were some risks involved.

"So, are you still sure you want to leave?"

"Oh yes. Downtown is not for me, and this overseas job will do me some good... I think."

"And Vickie is still okay with it?"

"Yes. She is actually looking forward to it so she can have all the penthouse to herself and watch as much TV as she wants."

"Haha. Don't worry. I'll keep an eye on her."

"And you, Lucy? Have you talked to Shane recently?"

"... Nah."

"Why not?"

"Too busy. Maybe next month when things calm down a bit."

"You've been saying that for years. You have to do something about it."

"I know... maybe..."

"Do you still love him?"

"... Yes. But it's complicated."

"Alright. But don't wait another six years, okay? My man left me when I got pregnant, so don't turn your back on love if you can have it. You'll regret it."

"I know... I know that..."

Both women took a sip of coffee. The silence was a bit heavy. Shane and Lucy had never divorced for some reason, and they kept a cold business relationship. Love wasn't the issue. Pain was.

How was it possible to look into a pair of eyes that were so similar to her lost child. Even her nose was the same... her smile. How would it be possible to endure this reminder that burned her veins worse than an injection of sulfuric acid? That was impossible. Lucy had never found a way around this. No, she didn't hate Shane, nor did she want him to get out of her life, but all the doors she had tried in order to reach him had always led to the same thing... pain.

On his side, Shane had managed to end his mourning healthily with the support of friends and family. To his credit, he had been more patient with Lucy than she had deserved, but he never really considered leaving her, living in the hope that, one day, she would find a way to return to him. Some days, working with her at the insurance firm had been extremely difficult, and others occasionally showed signs of hope. Lucy was still this fantastic person he loved unconditionally, but she just couldn't get herself to embrace the death of her child as a fact of life and move on.

But still, there was hope.

Shane had also befriended Vicky's mother and Vicky herself. Actually, Vicky loved him very much, particularly when he brought her some fast food on Sunday night when Lucy and her mother went out for a movie or to a restaurant. The young girl was definitely entertaining, and the way she held her burger with her two hands was oddly adorable. Vicky was definitely a balm on Shane's heart. Next to her, even if for a brief moment, he could experience a little bit of what he would have enjoyed if Sammie had still been around. This small girl was the living proof that life didn't stop with one person's tragic destiny.

After her coffee with Vicky's mother, Lucy grabbed her purse and headed to the front door. She, too, had some work to do today, and since she was a reliable businesswoman, she had to be an example for the others below her. Punctuality was a good trait to develop for an employee who desired to keep his job.

But on her way out, she noticed something sitting in the staircase; a small fox plushie that had seen better days. She had not seen this creature since... Sammie.

"Oh my... Is this what I think it is?"

She picked up the fox and brought her up to her eye level. It was indeed one of Sammie's plushies.

"Haha. That's Vickie's fox. Not sure why it's there. She still sleeps with it even though she says she doesn't anymore. That thing was a lifesaver when Vicky had her nightmares about the black dog attacking her. For some reason, it managed to protect her from those. Psychology is a funny thing."

"Sammie loved foxes so much. She clung to that one a lot when she was sick. I'm glad it was useful to Vicky."

"Oh yes. So useful. You have no idea... But now that I'm looking at it, it's due for a washing machine trip. Vicky will hate me for it, but germs are germs, and they must be obliterated."

"Haha. Here, catch."

Lucy tossed the dirty fox over to Vicky's mother, who caught it like a pro. The fox's fate was sealed.

"Haha. Alright. Thanks for the coffee. I'll see you this weekend."

"Sure thing. Have a great day at work, Lucy. Alright, now. Come with me, Vix. It's time for your bath!"

VIX!

Lucy's blood turned to ice. Did she really hear what she heard? Her throat clamped shut, her lungs burned, and her heart began pumping blood like there was no tomorrow. A single word, or at least the one she thought she heard, had pulled her back in time, six years ago when she announced death to a child who didn't deserve it.

A FOX!?

Yes. A very cute fox will come to pick you up and bring you there.

REALLY!?

Yes. It will keep you company until dad and mom are ready to go there too. We will be a bit late.

Oh, it's okay. If I have a real fox to keep me company, I can wait.

Good. What are you going to name your fox friend, Sammie?

Mmm... VIX! Because it's super cute!

Haha. Okay. Vix it is. Make sure to tell Vix everything you want. Then if I see a fox named Vix, she will tell me everything you told her. She will tell me how happy you are in the sky.

Okay! Will do!

"Lucy? Are you okay?"

"What... what did you just say?"

"I'm sorry?"

"The name... the name of the fox? What is it?"

"That thing? Vicky named her Vix on the first day we moved here. She has never left her since then. I guess it's a good name for a fox, no?"

"..."

Uncontrollable tears started to run down Lucy's cheeks. She had not noticed them so much she was confused about what she had just heard. How was this possible? A creature that only existed in Sammie's imagination a few days before her death was now in the hands of Vicky's mother.

"Lucy? What's going on? Are you okay?"

Unable to add a single word, Lucy turned around and ran out of the penthouse, not even attempting to slow down the flow of her sadness.

"Hey! Wait! Lucy! Come back!"

***

Two months later...

Lucy arrived at the penthouse with a bag full of hamburgers for the movie night she had promised Vicky a while ago. It was important to keep an eye on the young girl since her mother had left a couple of weeks ago for an overseas job. A mother leaving her sixteen years old daughter behind may have seemed cruel, but with Lucy and Shane around to take care of the little teenager, there were no real worries to have, and at the end of the day, it was an excellent exercise. So far, everything was going really well, and Vicky was satisfied with talking to her mother over the phone every night.

After swiping her magnetic card over the lock, Lucy pushed the big wooden door open and let herself in.

"Vicky! I'm here!"

"Hi! We're here!"

"We?"

Two little heads pop up from behind the couch's backrest. It was Vicky's ruffled brown hair, not hidden by her hoodie, which was exceptional in itself, and another blonde one sitting on a very chubby but cute teen face.

"Vicky? Who's your friend?"

"That's Beatrice..."

"... but everybody calls me Trixie or Trix. Oooh! Are those burgers I smell?"

Lucy smiled at Beatrice's boldness, a trait that she valued. She had heard this name before as she was one of the rare girls who accepted becoming friends with Vicky and didn't seem to care one bit about her physical appearance. Since Vicky's mother had often referred to her as the "chubby friend," it was pretty easy to confirm her identity even though she had never seen her before. Perhaps she should have brought a few extra burgers for the occasion.

"Hi, Beatrice. Nice meeting you. And yes, I have some delicious burgers for you two."

"Sweet!"

"What are we watching tonight?"

"Balto!"

"Balto? What is that?"

"A kid movie."

"... Uh... okay? Aren't you girls supposed to be into horror movies or something your age?"

"No!"

"Alright. Balto it is."

Who was she to argue? They were two against one anyway. Lucy placed the burgers on the coffee table and sat next to the teens on the couch. The point here was to spend time with them, so the poor movie selection was secondary in this evening's plan.

On that night, Lucy discovered two things about life. Grizzly bears are terrifying, and Beatrice had a bottomless digestive system. While Vicky barely managed to finish a single burger and herself only one, Beatrice had eaten three and was now binging on the pretzels. No wonder why her body mass index was catastrophic.

The good news was that everybody had fun, and Beatrice even called her parents to ask permission to stay overnight. The two teenagers went to Vicky's room and spent the night together doing girl things, probably dreaming about sexy pop singers and talking about cute boys, which was a very healthy activity for girls their age. It was good to see that Vicky, still very sheltered because of her head scars, had finally found a reliable friend. A friend who didn't care about her physical appearance and that always seemed joyful. Apparently, from what Lucy had heard, Beatrice had quite a powerful kick as well, so she could keep an eye on Vicky at school and protect her from the other ill-intentioned kids. She had overheard something about a fractured testicle at some point.

The next morning, Lucy woke up in the master bedroom, her former master bedroom. Somehow, it didn't feel strange. It felt very much like home but without painful memories. Spending time with Vicky and Beatrice had been a great experience and kept her grounded and away from darker thoughts. If she could at least have those peaceful moments in her life, it would be a great victory.

"Yaaaawn!"

It was probably too early to wake up, but work was necessary, and staying in bed was a luxury. So Lucy dressed back up and made her bed as she had a few work meetings with Shane later in the morning.

Shane...

Why did she never manage to reconnect with him after that last day at the hospital? What could have happened between the two of them for being unable to re-establish their lives the same way as when they first met. Surely, that was what Sammie would have wished for. There was no question about it. But it didn't work that way. Lucy still liked Shane, and Shane still liked her. That wasn't the problem. No, the problem seemed to be more mystical than that. Somehow Sammie had become a crucial part of their relationship, and her absence acted as a missing link.

At least there were no ill thoughts within their now defective relationship. This bedroom where they had conceived Sammie still felt great. It was the same sun seeping through the curtains cracks and the same perfect view over a sensibly distant world. Lucy still loved the penthouse even though she had no explicit desire to get it back one day. For now, at least, she much preferred seeing Vicky feeling at home and becoming an accomplished adult despite the formidable challenge she had to go through. To stick to a promise she once made, to take care of Vicky for as long as it would be necessary, she would never put any pressure on her to leave the penthouse. If Vicky decided to stay here for two more years or twenty, it would be just fine.

Thinking about this little girl and her voracious friend, Lucy got curious. She was fully aware that Vicky and Beatrice had no intention to go to bed at the same time as she did last night, but still, she hoped that they would have at least gone to bed at a reasonable hour, and they wouldn't look like grumpy zombies all day.

Lucy left her bedroom, and on her way to the washroom, she decided to peek inside Vicky's room to confirm that they were indeed asleep. Her hand pushed the door handle carefully so as not to make a noise...

If she had successfully managed not to make the door creak, her voice, however, failed to remain silent when she saw what she saw.

"Whaaaat in the wooorld!?"

***

"That wasn't nice, Lucy!"

"I know, Vicky. I'm sorry."

"..."

"I said I'm sorry. I know you are no longer a child. I shouldn't have peeked in your room."

"Mmmph..."

"So...?"

"... So what!? "

The small teenager with her head buried inside her hoodie, this time with a different goal than hiding her scars, purposely feigned ignorance. Her mother was gone, but she knew how motherly Lucy could be. In fact, there was almost no difference between her mother and her. And since what Lucy attempted with her unfinished question would surely lead to some moralization or an education session, was there really a way out? She totally expected Lucy's next question, but it still annoyed her.

"Do you like girls?"

"LUCY!"

"Whaaat? I'm just asking."

"I'm not a child!"

"I know. I'm not judging you. I'm just happy to learn more about you. I didn't expect to find you making out with your chubby friend and..."

"LUCY!"

"Okay... okay... I'm sorry. Not talking about it anymore. One or two eggs?"

"Just one."

"And how many do you think Beatrice will want?"

"Trixie?... Probably three..."

"Three eggs?... Okay..."

Lucy returned to her pan, cooking breakfast for her two embarrassed teens. Actually, that was a gross assumption. There was no way to tell what Vicky's friend felt like after being discovered. That girl was a strong-willed little girl, so it was possible that she wasn't too affected by this delicate situation. Shortly after being caught, Beatrice had headed to the bathroom for a shower. The blonde girl didn't have such a luxurious bathroom back at home, so it was hard to pass on such an opportunity. Her goal this morning would probably be to empty the hot water tank.

Lucy didn't have to wait too long to confirm her suspicion. Only wearing a towel, Beatrice bounced down the stairs and headed directly to the kitchen like a food homing missile.

"Aaah! Food! Sweet!"

The happy teenager, despite her considerable weight, had no issue jumping on the stool next to Vicky, who instinctively knew that her friend would have no difficulties discussing what happened earlier if Lucy dared to bring up the topic again.

And as a matter of fact...

"Kissing Vicky like this must have made you hungry, Beatrice."

And that was totally on purpose. Lucy found out a long time ago that mentally playing with teenagers and torturing them was fun. But her new target didn't seem to mind one bit.

"Oh yeah! Vicky is delicious but not nutritious! Haha!"

Vicky let her face fall flat on top of the kitchen island and groaned, wishing Lucy to give Beatrice her food so she would stop talking, even if that was not even a guarantee.

***

Three years later...

"Why are you still wearing that hoodie, Vicky?"

"People will make fun of my scars."

"Come on. We are going to visit a restaurant for sale. It's not like we are going to a party."

"Lucy! Lucy! Look! They are selling giant pretzels over there!"

It was always the same. Every time Lucy and Vicky were going out with Beatrice in tow, they could count on her to act like a child. The now very skinny blonde girl had lost nothing of her appetite and still naturally targeted every source of calories on her way.

Lucy and Vicky turned around and looked at Beatrice drooling in front of the pretzel stand. Hearing the distressed plea, it was almost too passionate, Lucy pulled her wallet out and went to meet her.

"Beatrice, I will never understand how you managed to lose all that extra weight while still eating this much. You are defying all the laws of thermodynamics. Alright. I'll get you a giant pretzel."

"It's because of all the hot sex I have with Vicky. I didn't change anything else."

"Ahan. You keep saying that. Yet, you keep claiming that you are not her girlfriend."

"Yes. We are just friends, but we like sex a lot. Right, Vicky?"

As usual, even if Beatrice spoke nothing but the truth, Vicky pulled her hoodie a bit lower over her face to hide her red face.

The bad thing was that her friend was very vocal about sex and their open relationship, but the good news was that Lucy, at least, seemed to roll with it without any issue. Lucy loved Beatrice as a person, probably seeing in her the same kind of boldness that she once had, and the fact that Vicky had one very precious friend was an extremely important factor too, no matter how strange their intimate relationship was at the root. Beatrice was good for Vicky, so it was worth feeding the beast.