All Comments on 'Another Love - Alternative Ending'

by Pencarrow

Sort by:
  • 260 Comments (Page 2)
ScorpioJJScorpioJJabout 7 years ago
Acid for the painting

He should have poured acid on her face in the painting. I would have made it my mission to destroy Phillipe's works wherever I could find them. He doesn't deserve the legacy of great artist. He was a disgusting creature and should be revealed as such.

gldngolfergldngolferabout 7 years ago
Second time through

Second time through and I still have same thought. You had the opportunity to correct the horrid outcome of the original story. While your words in his letter were well done, but your story is unfinished without knowing how the cheating whore wife received those words.

I enjoy knowing how my words impact others, readers primarily. But in this story it is important to know IF his words had their intended purpose on his recipient. Again, the previously mentioned whore wife.

smmhomesmmhomeabout 7 years ago
Words

Used effectively, with power; reinforcing principles that matter.

Thank you.

PS - I agree that parts 3-4 were totally out of character for Rob, making them feel forced and false.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xabout 7 years ago
Only Fair For Me

Reads like a transcription of many of the comments that have been made about this story!

About the only thing left out was the destruction of the painting,

Re: the sons - “that they helped to facilitate it” – It’s not just lack of respect for him, but shame at themselves.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xabout 7 years ago
@MaFrepler

Women haters? I LOVE women, in every sense of that word, that doesn't mean that I can forgive something so unforgivable!

PencarrowPencarrowabout 7 years agoAuthor
To SBROOKES and all the other commenters and writers whose opinion I value highly.

Now that several months have passed since the story was published I feel it's time to answer some of these comments.

Firstly, I have to say that I agree with you and all the others regarding the letter format, in that it is one-sided and does not generate the level of conflict that direct dialogue would. As a way to make up for this I erred on the side of making several points too many times, and I should have edited the story more ruthlessly to trim it.

Secondly, the author of "Another Love" gave me permission but with conditions, the main one being that I had to bear in mind that Karen and Rob loved each other deeply. I think I achieved this, and if you re-read Parts 1 and 2 then you may see that despite what Karen did she really does think Rob is her world, so to have him suddenly leave her would be the most devastating thing she could imagine. Vandemonium1’s comment really explains why there was no BTB alternative.

Also, I'm not a vindictive person and I didn’t think Rob was, so there was no need to damage the painting. In fact, Karen may one day look at it and end up hating herself when she sees the duplicitous bitch it portrays. It may become unbearable for her to look at it and she may destroy it as a way of absolving herself.

May I also add that I’m not a writer and don’t consider myself to be one. I greatly admire the quality of the top writers on this site and could never hope to emulate what they do. This little effort of mine was really a way to understand why I was so angry after reading “Another Love”, because it really did affect me even though it shouldn’t have (I’m way over 60 and should be over stuff like this, but these stories are like good westerns where the righteous prevail and the bad guys – or girls - get their asses kicked).

Some people have commented that it was a very “true to life” story, and for me it was because that’s exactly how I would respond and I really was feeling those emotions (anger, etc.) when I wrote it. This was good for me but not-so-good for a work of fiction.

I’ve thought of several story-lines to continue what I started, but I’m not a writer and could never do justice to them (and I doubt Richard Gerald would want it continued anyway, which is completely understandable).

But if it did continue, then perhaps Rob writes a letter to the NY Times after it published a widely-read review of the exhibition of Phillipe’s work, with the star of the exhibition being the portrait of Karen. He would explain who she was and how it came to be painted while he served in Kuwait, and offer it be called “Portrait of a cheating wife”. Letters to the editor ensue, the exhibition is overwhelmed by war vets and others who want the painting removed, and Karen is shunned by all those who she works with. Rob is on TV and the pilot of the aircraft that almost crashed is tracked down and says what a hero Rob is. His work as lead designer of the latest jet engine is made known, and he suddenly has many offers from women who are keen to be his new wife.

Meanwhile, Karen goes back to stay with Kevin and his girlfriend after suffering a nervous breakdown. Kevin is very sympathetic to his mother, and Kevin’s girlfriend is likewise on his side until she hears the whole story. She confronts Kevin about his involvement in covering up his mother’s affair, and ditches him because of it (Karma – what a wonderful thing you are!).

What do I really think of Karen? Well, I think she was suffering from post-natal depression when she first got together with Phillipe, and was very vulnerable to his advances. However, this does not explain why she continued to keep fucking him (it was actually nearer 15 years, not 13 if you read the original story carefully). My take is that she was deeply narcissistic without realizing it, and if you read Parts 3&4 again you will see that she takes charge and asks Rob to pretend that nothing is wrong when Avril’s family come to stay, and then again tells him to wait until the exhibition is over before they discuss what she did and before they see a counsellor. This again shows she has no clue as to how he is feeling and also shows how she puts what she wants before anything he wants. It’s also reinforced by the fact that she put her allegiance to Phillipe ahead of her allegiance to Rob, in that she told Phillipe everything about her and Rob but never told Rob about her and Phillipe. Even her two sons showed a greater allegiance to Phillip than they did to their father by covering up the affair, so as far as I’m concerned it was time for Rob to just move on and never have any contact with her again.

Anyway, thanks to all of you for at least reading my humble offering.

bigdnc13bigdnc13about 7 years ago
Not good enough

A good story in the genre needs the tension between the two main characters generated by the act of adultery and the confrontation afterwards. This, obviously, didn't have it. I agree. The ending to the original didn't seem to be in character. Nice try, though.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Very well said!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally, someone has put into words what I have been feeling while reading these stories of betrayal. These actions are so cruel yet are approached by the wives as being inconsequential. Husbands are expected to accept whatever the wife's wishes are. This is breathtakingly selfish and vile.

I applaud a lucidly written description of what the man is dealing with. And I couldn't care less about the mundane details like what happens to the painting.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xabout 7 years ago
@SystemShock Re: Pointless

There aren't more "alternates" because RG won't give approval for differing points of view. I wrote one and it got pulled. You can still find in on SOL as "A Portrait of Betrayal."

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xabout 7 years ago
@Pencarrow

I don't think their love is particularly in doubt, though she has a strange way of showing it.

But also if you read Ch 1 & 2, you will see in Rob a strong man, a resolute man, not a man to knuckle under the way RG had him do in Ch 3 & 4. The Rob in those chapters would have allowed the affair to continue if her lover was still alive!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago

The ending we deserved. The other story ended awfully. Tried to be meaningful and deep, only ended up being pompus, vain, and stupid.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Still waiting for the revenge part

Ok much better than how Richard left us but, there needs to be a bit of revenge starting with the painting. In this version the scumbags family is not hanging around but, if they were they would have been booted out into the street pronto. I agree that a direct confrontation with Karen with a damaged painting while handing her the long letter would have been a more suitable way of letting the selfish bitch know that she is no longer the "libertine lover" that her seducer made her out to be, just a lying cheating slut. Since Richard loves "The Donald" so much I guess cheaters are ok in his book. It would be nice to see another chapter of this ending where it becomes quite clear to Karen that not only her husband but the entire family and community knows the cheating life that she lived.

jackagjackagalmost 7 years ago
why is the painting still in existance?

He should have did a burn in the center of the painting leaving only the head so she would know what he had destroyed.

second his remaining mission in life would be to destroy every thing her lover had produced. He cant destroy the man but he sure as hell can destroy his legacy.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Lmao

You wrote a letter? Man that was pathetic. Not sure which ending was worse this one or the real one.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
PATHETIC

You just changed one pitiful ending for another pitiful ending. Neither is worth a shit, and both suck big green donkey dicks.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago

This was nearly as bad.....no ending at all, just a letter.......should have left the original author's story alone. At least it wrapped up, this added nothing to the conversation.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
5! HEY ANNONY

your mother was a trammy and you retarded brain dead shit for brains fag, you really are insane . I gave it a 5 to offset your 1 vote. God no wonder your wife fucked all those other men before she died. . You're one sick ass wipe.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
pure enjoyment

I keep coming back to this story. I feel, as do others, that chapters 1 & 2 follow the general format of the category, and that chapters 3 & 4 are very disturbing and are a far departure from the direction I thought the story was going. I spent a year in Nam and my wife waited faithfully for my return. This may be the main reason that I've found this story so upsetting. Two parts of it are especially distasteful to me. The Montreal relatives moving into his apartment with their cavalier treatment of him, and the betrayal of his two sons, even after they have matured to the point of being able to understand their mother's infidelity and the father's heartbreak and humiliation. I find this story to be unforgettable and will keep coming back to it. I would hope for future chapters to "round out" all the outcomes of the characters. There needs to be lots and lots of retribution, and some destruction, brought down on their heads. I also want to see the husband find a brighter future somewhere, somehow.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
I don't own or shoot guns

But for this occasion, I would learn! This woman seriously needed a bullet to the brain! I could never have remained calm enough to write a letter like this, which sadly would fall on deaf ears, anyway.

Richard Gerald must be the most famous cuckold author here who just won't admit it. Unlike xleglover and jaycuck, who enjoy their predilection, Gerald just suffers the humiliation of the cuckold without getting off on his wife's extramarital relations. I guess he is a submissive masochist as well as a cuckold.

There is not only another, better ending to his story, there is also a similar story by another author who plans public retribution and rides off into the sunset with one of his daughters who sympathizes with his plight upon his discovery.

But ANYTHING is better than the "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em mentality of the rest of Gerald's story.

tazz317tazz317over 6 years ago
WHY DOES HE ASK RHETORICAL QUESTIONS

about does she know how he feels. TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Great revision!

Great revision, but the painting needed to be defaced and ruined just like his marriage. Let her keep the ruined painting and consider her ruined life and soul daily.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Better ending!

I was also upset over the difference in the storyline. I like this alternate ending, which gives Rob more credibility. This is how I would expect him to react. It would be nice to see more details in the other characters and Rob's ending. Please try to provide. Again - better ending!

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
rob's letter leaves a huge question unanswered,

WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?

What happens to the wife? To rob and his kids? To rob in general?

I realize lots of folks dont care about the wife, but the kids deserve at least a couple of paragraphs about this affected them. How the required silence messed them up? And how they react now that the affair is out of the closet?

Anyway, just a thought.

trandall9991trandall9991over 6 years ago
I agree WHat HAppenes Next?

Come on finish the damn story. Especially one so volatile as this. Tell us the wife leads some horrible existence and the husband finds a true love.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Well done!

I had the same concerns when I read Gerald'S original. I like the concept, but just could not accept the part 3 version of the husband as logical. I too would like to see a what happens next. See the wife's reaction/thoughts to his letter. Maybe son here sons thoughts and reaction. Anger at father or maybe increased respect?c677

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
The Painting

He should have slashed the painting to shreds and Everything else that came from the piece of scum . And the sons FUCK THEM !

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
RE:Another Love

Excellent, well written and delivered. Told in such a way to have the “feel” of someone suffering through such a betrayal. 5*****

Schwanze1Schwanze1over 6 years ago
And then

burn the damn painting.

cabbage01132cabbage01132over 6 years ago
five stars but

why? why? why? will none of the authors who have done an alternate ending

PUT A BOOT THROUGH THAT FUCKING PAINTING!

Schwanze1Schwanze1over 6 years ago
Thank

you! At least piss on it.

Danger09Danger09over 6 years ago
Either way this story is written

I still hate it. I just feel like the wife and the kids should've gotten some consequences for their treachery. 20 fucking years of lying & deceiving. I would never be able to forgive the whore and I certainly wouldn't be able to feel anything for my so call kids. His family essentially chosed the wifes lover over their father her husband. ... the kids betrayal hurt more than the slut. I feel like the hubby should've been more angry than he was. That painting would've went in the fire place. The whore would've been thrown out. There's nothing to talk about/negotiate. The betrayal waz just too much. The fact that the whore & her kids don't feel any guilt or remorse m

Says they stopped loving, caring and respecting him along time ago.

LickideesplitLickideesplitover 6 years ago
Want to hurt her even more?

In this version of Hubby, he writes her that ‘when he looks at the painting, he sees her looking at her lover like she looked at him - her husband.’ Hubby could instead have written ‘his painting was so good that I see you looking at your lover with an intensity and lust I NEVER SAW from you!’

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Phillipe got off too easy!

The husband should have destroyed Phillipe's legacy, namely all of his art work! A little arson would have accomplished that very easily. Philipe's entire being was wrapped up in his artist works. That was the only way to get back at Phillipe.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
UGH

My letter would have been very short. Two words in fact.FO

ptolmetptolmetabout 6 years ago
What if

I would love to see a continuation of this story in which Karen somehow sees, maybe with coaching from a Du Monte, how wrong she is and how wrong that relationship was. Maybe in her remorse she shows Avril how wrong it actually was? Maybe then the sons are affected. Who knows?

I would love to see that.

leetamezleetamezabout 6 years ago
Better

I believe this is a better ending to this story, I just wished there was more!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Why not?

Why is neither author willing to have the protagonist do the simplest, emotionally honest and most cathartic thing and put his foot through the fucking painting? in lieu of that both authors have served up very long whines by a weak and indecisive husband too beaten down by his circumstances to do the one thing that would strike at the heart of the lie he's been fed all these years and strip the painter's two whores of their core justification for what they did to the poor guy - that the relationship was beautiful and served the higher purpose of great art.

LoejtcLoejtcabout 6 years ago
Just a bunch of words

I just didn't feel the depth and power of the emotional this devastated man must have felt. This was the angriest he has ever been???

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
1* More Wimpy Cuck Crap

Bwah wah wah... girly man husband and author drowning in girly man tears because he was too obtuse and moronic to know he was married to a Ho. (That rhymes?)

This is just as bad Ricky the Wimp's story. Next time trying nuking the bitch to get your manhood back.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
Not Much Better

This “Alternative Ending” is no better than the original ending of the story. This is just a guy feeling sorry for himself, crying in his beer, and writing it down to try and guilt trip his wife. That won’t work though, because his wife has no conscience. I hoped while reading the author’s intro that this ending would right some wrongs and set things straight. But...didn’t happen. A big disappointment.

HikingThruHikingThrualmost 6 years ago
yea, painting should go

I'm with Anon on destroying the painting. I was thinking just enough paint thinner to make it run but be still visible.

Ducky7Ducky7almost 6 years ago
lacking any shock value by not having Karen's

reaction, The painting should be damaged to the point of not being repaired but still show the painful value of it....

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
I guess when you finish a pussified story

You become a pussy yourself.

This is just as stupid as original. Wife needs to feel pain. Emotional maybe but damn well a lot of physical pain too. Then all of lovers family needs pain.

But noo. We get weak will pussy response. Hubby is ex military. If you can't kick a bunch of Canadian ass then you deserve the pain and humiliation.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
WHAT A WASTE....

How do you 'guilt trip' a self-centered cunt who has no sense of guilt? Like he wrote, she only TOLERATED him. And starting that letter with ((( My dearest Karen, ))) ??? WTF is wrong with this guy?? He's erasing her from his life forever but he addresses her as his 'dearest'?

The other commenters seem to see this story the same way that I do.... a reworded version of the original piece of shit. I read this hoping that this author was going to give us some meat and potatoes but all we got is another edumacated wimp feeding us b.s. flavored Pablum.

Just one ⭐ because it sucks.

lance_spearmanlance_spearmanover 5 years ago
The painting should not be destroyed

He should take it to another artist and have her face subtly altered to go from lover to slutty whore.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
This ending is no better than the other

They both SUCK SUCK SUCK!!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
I Disagree

I disagree with some comments that this ending is no better than the original. I think it’s infinitely better. For one thing, he laid out for her in no uncertain terms what a calculating, selfish, arrogant whore she was. And for another, he did all that and then got the hell out of Dodge before the family of the whoremonger Philippe showed up and commandeered his whole damn house. All that said, it still didn’t go far enough. He needed to put the hurt on her more than just his letter can. Because I’m not sure that the letter, as cold, caustic and compelling as it was, will get through the narcissistic veneer around her heart. He needs, somehow, to destroy her world. I don’t mean physically hurt her, but damage everything she has to look forward to so that the only real thing she can look forward to is the end. That, amigos, is pain. D.

26thNC26thNCover 5 years ago
Good start

The letter is a good beginning, but falls short. To leave the incriminating painting intact is another betrayal. It is the ultimate insult to their marriage and should be destroyed. That would be closure.

eightytuneseightytunesover 5 years ago
Sigh.

Yes as someone else posted, needs more to finish it.

MightyHornyMightyHornyover 5 years ago
Yep - I should have just walked away

Everyone that mentioned that the Karen that was depicted in the original story wouldn't actually give two shit about such a letter are correct.

The thing is, and, given some of the hatred this short got, it needs to be pointed out again... at the very end, Rob walked away from his loveless marriage.

And that simple act made this whole flash a hundred time better than how the original "Another Love" concluded. So, because of this, it does deserve all the love. ★★★★★

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Correct

This is an infinitely better ending. All the critical reasons are for Rob leaving Karen are spot on.

davwoodavwooover 5 years ago
A much better ending

I liked this thoughtfully crafted letter to Karen. It contains all the hurt and sorrow Rob must be feeling. After 20 years of marriage, to find he's been cuckolded must devastate him.

You have a gift for words and there is so much more to explore. That painting needs to be trashed and burnt. Robs relationship with his sons needs to be explored. How does Karen react to reading the letter (any regrets any sorrow?). How does Rob manage to move on?

etchiboyetchiboyover 5 years ago
Better. But she wouldn’t have cared too much of him leaving. He seemed to be a BFF w/ benefits.

The best you could do is:

1.) Deface painting, since it was something she would probaby care about. Anyone to see it would have to know not only that he hated the painting and what it represented, but why. Off the top of my head I’d say something like “Cheating Slut “somewhere prominent, but yet still allowed “beauty” of painting to show. Don’t ruin physical beauty so as unable to show, but show beauty along with ugliness.

2.) This is harder, but somehow poison her relationship with the boys, since she already did it between him and the boys. He may love them, but their relationship with him was more than a little tainted now, and he knows now it wasn’t his fault. What’s good for the goose...

PencarrowPencarrowover 5 years agoAuthor
WHY IS THE PAINTING NOT DESTROYED? HERE'S WHY........

The important thing I'd like to point out is that without Richard Gerald's story there would not be an "alternative ending". I claim no great literary skills and I'm really just hanging on to his coat-tails, but his story really moved me and I felt I had to write something, even if only for my own benefit to help me understand my own emotions and why the story affected me as much as it did.

I originally presented my ending in a comment (after Rick's Part 1, I think), but then a few other commenters said they liked it so I decided to join Lit. and submit the ending as a story on its own. However, I soon discovered that I had to gain the approval of the original author (Richard) and after he read it he generously gave his approval (very generously, in my opinion, because usually he doesn’t) BUT there were conditions.

The main condition was that the story remain true to his concept that Rob and Karen loved each other deeply (I know, I know – I don’t see it that way either), and his approval was based on my original submission as a comment. I then re-wrote parts of it, especially the last few paragraphs, while still retaining the feeling that some love lingered in Rob for her, and submitted it to become the story you now read.

So you see, I couldn’t alter my original version into a BTB without ignoring Richard’s request, and there is no way I would go back on my word to him. I’ve said all this before (see my comment dated 05/04/17) but in reality, if I really were Rob, I think my initial reaction would have been to smash and deface the painting out of sheer rage and frustration, and perhaps destroy other mementos that Karen cherished.

But I think a much better scenario would have been to get a brush and paint the back of the canvas with a weak acid. This would very slowly destroy the fibers to the point that eventually the paint would fall away, a little at a time, until the whole thing turned to dust. The symbolism appeals to me, as Karen sees the once beautiful woman slowly crumble to dust, much as I think her life would be.

As Vandemonium1 would say, lighten up and Merry Christmas!

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Melo but better

Than Richards Geralds strong man cuckold fetish. He wastes most stories trying to justify disrespect and cuckoldry as some noble pursuit.

This time of course decided to sissify the military and let the sordid affair continue mentally after the loathsome scums death.

etchiboyetchiboyover 5 years ago
Pencarrow: The acid idea is brilliant!

Maybe a slash of the brush just behind/across the mouth, letting that enigmatic smile slowly deteriorate. And, if the orientation of the body is right, a big blotch (or “X”) over the heart, representing either the hole in the empty spot in the heart she obviously had for Rob, or the destruction she made of Rob’s heart.

I think a Cc of the letter to the two sons, with a cover with additional explanations or reassurances, would be worthwhile. They of course, even without a letter, would, probably, figure out the why of the divorce, but let’s be sure of it, huh?. And explain, despite their own white lies, he understands them and the why, he still loves them, doesn’t blame them, and wants to continue within their lives regardless of the differences between he and their mother.

Sorry I didn’t go back and read your previous answering comment(s). But I was daunted by the 150+ previous comments (which is a good thing-a sign of a good story).

Thanks

266xxyz266xxyzover 5 years ago
Peer pressure?

There is in this category a lot of wimpy authors as well as 'reasonable ' critics. I'm not a fan of either types. A crime of premeditated passion, a higher level of low class adultery and a stiffer social finger to Rob and a lot more bitterness towards Karen for her various acts of adultery, lies and total disrespect and self centeredness that has gone on for at least 13 yrs or 20 yrs, I guess.

Two things I really hate here are husbands that puke and husbands who get their feelings trashed, marriage destroyed and children turned against them like in this case who reflect on all the "good" years and attempt to make things fair to their ex-wives for their sharing a few years or a life time's sake tho there didn't seem to be much fairness on the womans part.

The pic said it all. No words can show treachery and betrayal to some loving faithful husband. Since the painting illuminates the totality just how far wife and her FWB went to smirk at him with the valuable painting I think it would be pretty fair on his part to show his disdain for both of them. I would have cut the painting off the frame, trashed it then rip the painting up and run it to the shreder. IDK what plans she had for it but I doubt she would like that. Put shredded pile in the center of what was the frame along with ring and letter, then disappear from all their lives cuz seeing them again would rip off the scab time and again. Better to let it scar over.

A similar thing happened to me once. She boxed her stuff in my living room for 3 mos. before I lost it. She had made me several beautiful sweters and a number of other things. I destroyed everthing she owned paying particular attention to what she had made so 'loving' for me. Cut up her university sheep skin and smashed all her jewelry and broke or defaced every thing she owned except for the few clothes she left with. I found out via computer that she had left me without a word and moved in with her boy friend. All that with not so much as a sit down or heads up.

I often read here how one must forgive the offender for one's own sake. That was 27 yrs ago. I see no reason to forgive her and I read the Obits every time I pick up the paper. I wanna make a little entry in her funeral guest list. Mean time I'm doing great.

texxmantexxmanover 5 years ago
She’ll be sad for a few days

She’s a sociopath. She’s still got money, her kids, and her lovers family. She doesn’t need him.

His life is destroyed which is the horror of the story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
My opinion on this piece...

I didn't read all the comments, just a few. Harry left his usual, and HDK his customary superficial tripe.

Now what I thought.

For one, when someone has been horribly traumatized professionals will often advise them to write what they think down in a letter, it can be cathartic. So our hero wrote what he thought and left it with his ring beside the picture. Well good for him, now he can try to move on.

And second, why destroy the painting? The painting is an obscenity, a portrait of a most foul set of criminally cruel misdeeds. Would someone vow to destroy all the pictures of the Jewish Holocaust because they find them offensive? Certainly not! The painting was proof of our protagonist's personal holocaust.

Leave the painting! Let his wife, ex-wife and despicable sons keep it and cherish it, with time, as she ages, she'll come to see it for what it really is. Every time she looks at it, sooner or later she see it for what it really is, and she'll grow to hate it. One day she'll destroy it herself.

Now that could be another sequel...

Jedd Clampett (carvohi)

0zed0zedover 5 years ago
So Much Better Than The Original

This ending is much more realistic! It is how a real man would feel, and react, without any RAAC tripe. A real man would never tolerate being "Plan B" for a couple of cheating sluts. Personaly I would have "soiled" the painting on my way out the door.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Just let me know

When you want a real man to end this story. Sorry, but your ending although better is still pure trash. And, no, I'm not a btb fanatic.

Rhinoman1951Rhinoman1951about 5 years ago
Document and Appraise

The painting is the key to his freedom. Find a shark to guide his divorce. Let the shark document the painting's existence as proof of her perfidy. Then, sit back and let the exhibition increase the value of that piece of trash. Hopefully, it would be appraised high enough to count as the bulk of her 50%. If he's really lucky, it would be worth so much she would owe him money to square the divorce settlement. Might as well get something out of his sham marriage.

As for his sons, she screwed up their minds so badly it is doubtful his relationship with either of them is salvageable. While unfair to blame young children, over a decade of deceit created a chasm nearly impossible to cross.

RG's vile part 3&4 was a travesty. "Gee, Honey, you're not losing anything. Since my clueless cuckold finally found out, you move up to second place in my heart. At least now, you'll be the number one MAN. Unless I find another man I love more. Look what you get. TWO highly used pussies fantasizing that cock belongs to their true love they still mourn. " What man wouldn't be ecstatic?

"Oh, by the way, could you see about getting a raise or, better yet, a second job. Paying for all the costs of the extended family you knew nothing about has put a huge strain on the bank account. Plus, a second job will limit the amount of time we have to put up with you."

RG, after "The Bridge" and parts 1&2, I expected so much better. A man who risks life and limb by determination to return to his loving wife and children, would NEVER fold for the offer of cheap pussies.

ThematchthatBurnsThematchthatBurnsabout 5 years ago
Acid!

Paint the picture with acid, then she will have lost the most important thing in her life.

Lost of publicity and a good lawyer. The proceeds of the exhibition need to become part of the divorce.

tazz317tazz317about 5 years ago
THIS PART DOES NOT RELATE CLOSURE

but by serendipity shows his naiviety and where his heart was, yet the rest of the participants are ??????????????TK U MLJ LV NV

The_Artfull_CodgerThe_Artfull_Codgeralmost 5 years ago
reminds me of a Bourne film

the line was "do you want me to book a conference room upstairs and you can talk him to death? "

ojalalalaojalalalaover 4 years ago
Now a second good outcome for that painting...!

When they put displayed it, the painting was accompanied by a sign identifying the wife as having betrayed her husband during his deployment. I loved that people then boycotted the exhibit.

I also like the outcome that Pencarrow (12/24/18) came up with: ..."get a brush and paint the back of the canvas with a weak acid. This would very slowly destroy the fibers to the point that eventually the paint would fall away, a little at a time, until the whole thing turned to dust. The symbolism appeals to me, as Karen sees the once beautiful woman slowly crumble to dust, much as I think her life would be." That might be the only way she ever has the grace enough to be ashamed.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Phillipes disrespect of Karen

It seems to me that everyone appears to be missing the obvious that sending the portrate to Karen on his death was a deliberate act to out her to Rob.

In my mind it shows the utter contempt he had for her and her marriage. A sentiment that had I been Rob would have been shoved down her throat in spades, letting her know in no uncertain manner what her lover really thought of her.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
don't write a letter

Have her tied up and say this to her while you piss on the painting then burn it. Then slowly torture her never letting her pass out and not die for days. Make her really feel pain.

26thNC26thNCover 4 years ago

Good, but destroying the painting would have been much better.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Karen was unable to contact her husband for 3 days.

Every time she rang his cell it would go to voice mail. When she randg their landline it always rang out till the answering machine picked up.

After 3 days of no contact she was worried and decided to cut her trip short. She rang her husband in one last attempt to contact him. She left a message asking him to pick her up from the airport.

She was distressed when she landed and he was not there. She caught a cab home and when she entered her front door her world collapsed.

There in the entry way was the painting. The letter had been nailed to the frame with a 4 inch nail. The words slut and whore had been painted across the painting. But worst of all her husband had slashed the painting and had ruined it.

At that point in time Avril turned up and was devastated when she saw the painting.

Karen knew she had to call her sons and let them know their father had found out about her affair and had left.

When she spoke to them they were upset because their father had already rung and disowned them both. He had said that due to their and their mothers treachery he no longer had a family.

This was too much for Karen and she collapsed.

10 years later Karen still held out hope that her husband would return as he had not applied for divorce. This hope was lost when the Police informed her that her beloved Rob was dead. He died doing what he loved. On of the parts of the jet engine he and his team designed had had a small undetectable flaw in it and the engine had exploded killing 4 researchers instantly. Rob died later that day from injuries received.

Karen lived the rest of her life a lonely woman with only Avril to keep her company. She realised she had destroyed her one and only true love with her selfishness.

DearfieldDearfieldabout 4 years ago
The Painting

The letter said it all. The painting of a true whore they all make excuses why they cheat when their husband go off to war, I get angry when I read or hear their bullshit,I didn’t like RG ending,

johsunjohsunabout 4 years ago

As much as I enjoyed the original story, I think this is the more realistic ending. It is certainly more like what I thought the last chapter would be.

WhoGivesAShitWhoGivesAShitabout 4 years ago

Potentially, a good ending. Unfortunately I don’t like the write a letter and run angle. The letter could be part of it, but not the entirety.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Didn't get enough

Had she been my wife, she wouldn't had to worry about dying of cancer and that rotten bastard wouldn't have to worry about a stroke!0

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Agree with jonson

A letter is too little. Yes,it does hearken to words. But that story has dialogue , some trading of emotions. This feels like a goodbye more read from a soapbox , a stage. Would much prefer a head on collision , a confrontation. But agree with the sentiments. Just too strong , too concentrated . Maybe a shorter series of letters and responses Would be more effective.

rodryder44rodryder44about 4 years ago
Another love

You made your point, in Rob's letter to Karen, over and over and justified Rob's anger and validated his reason for leaving. You paint Rob as a shell of his former self from which there would be no reconciliation.

This not an alternative ending to GeraldRichard's. GR had ended his tale with Rob paying a visit to his dying ex wife who he had been fucking happily along side the wife of his dead nemesis Phillippe.

jtwheelsjtwheelsabout 4 years ago
Better than original ending. BUT all cheaters and involved need extreme punishment

Pain to match all those cheating years and gulf with children

Pain pain and more pain

etchiboyetchiboyabout 4 years ago
Blah-blah-blah...

All words, no punishment. Boring. At least take a dump on the painting, if not destru it outright.

Not even like “Words” in that he makes her feel she did something wrong, that she is “evil”. It’s obvious from her lack of guilt she is totally in denial to the wrong she has perpetrated, Rob’s words now most likely won’t make a difference, in fact may make her mad thinking HE is wronging her.

Yeah, words yes, but in this case only words which would flow over her head.

mustelamustelaabout 4 years ago
A great effort

The initial ending was surely too long and too incredible. Why would Avril feel the urge to be in a threesome with Karen and her husband on the pretext that she was previously with Karen and Philippe? Too long and useless also the details on the work of Rob, even if that shows an interesting character trait.

The end of Pencarrow is interesting, but the letter is too long, too tearful, and useless since we will never know what Karen (and the boys) reaction will be. Rob is a strong man, but he runs away without even being confronted with his wife, which may be of no use, but who knows.

The multiple comments have very clearly shown that the story is still not over.

A fair end must be found between the two. Difficult to write, surely. With what conclusion? It’s all in the talent of the author. But between RichardGerald and Pencarrow, the ideal ending is still waiting.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
That's Better

That is the way it should have been. Any body who has been in military and been deployed knows the feeling of uncertainty about things at home. All the mushy ,oh I need to beloved and held, but it didn't mean anything rational sucks a big one. Lets think about it- "I'm sorry" , " It's not what you think " " It's only sex " " I still love only you " " It has made us so much better together." Look at it this way- What if HE had cheated??? BTB ,in every way shape ,manner, or form. The Bear gives his permission.

The BEAR

racfguyracfguyalmost 4 years ago
Much better

than the original ending from the original author.

One other thing: he should have cut and slashed the painting and left it for the cheating cunt.

GrimmerGrimmerover 3 years ago

Emotional punishment.

Was it enough?

someoneothersomeoneotherover 3 years ago
Explanation of why the painting could not be harmed

I like the story, although I think it is incomplete and could have used a part 2.

Many people have commented that husband should have harmed the painting using acid or painting over. The problem is that the painting arguably belonged to the wife and could have been valuable. Thus, destroying the painting could have subjected the husband to civil suit for conversion, and, bordering on fantasy, even criminal prosecution.

I could not really understand why the husband was so reticent in terminating the marriage in the original story, although the original was also good, albeit different than this.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Who Would Read Such a Long Letter?

Especially after she realized he wasn't being "understanding."

WillowghbyWillowghbyover 3 years ago
Excellent

Pencarrow, your only submission is well written and fully captures the nature of each character in the original story. The MC remains true to his character with a full analysis and a mature, logical departure.

.

Ordinarily, I encourage the author to "Keep 'em comin'" but in your case: Come back Pencarrow, come back! (from the movie "Shane" for those stuck in neutral.)

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
enhanced portrait

I think he should heva enhanced the painting by painting himself "Portrait of a cheating slut wife" across her body.

jaythemanjaythemanover 3 years ago
Good Job

I think your letter was excellent. There is an opportunity to continue this, starting with the wife's reaction. Will she ever realize what she did and take responsibility?

26thNC26thNCover 3 years ago
Good again

A very good follow on to the original, but an exercise in futility in attempting to shame someone who has no shame. There is no revenge here, as I don’t see Karen even being able to understand his anger. At the very least, he should have destroyed the painting before he left. You stopped writing too soon. We needed to see Karen’s reaction to the letter as you would write it.

Ricky17Ricky17over 3 years ago

Good work, well written!

The letter was so well written I almost fortgot he was a Scientist and not an Art academic. I too doubt whether she would have read it all being so full of herself. I would have given the full 5 stars if his last act had been to destroy the painting. I agree it needs a continuation to show her reaction and the boys' to the two women

SouthdownSouthdownover 3 years ago
Nice Letter

Poor and totally unsatisfying story. The other commenters gave all the clues you need to do a better job. I grudgingly gave it 3*** mainly for the letter!

Thank You

Huedogg2Huedogg2over 3 years ago
why is he asking for 50%

fuck her, take everything, disappear. then file a month later.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
I do not know how I missed this until now

But, it is probably the best of the follow on writings

There is certainly room for more with a good burn the bitch episode.

WargamerWargamerover 3 years ago

Love it, would’ve loved to have read her reaction. The story is incomplete without it

4/5

tralan69ertralan69erover 3 years ago

@sbrooks103x,

MaFrepler

He wasn't an asshole, but you made him into one.

Sounds like someone personalized her comment.

DarknsDarknsabout 3 years ago

Definitely agree with @Wargamer. I, too, would love to see this completed by continuing the story describing her reaction and aftermath of returning home and finding him gone and reading his goodbye letter. Suffice to say, I enjoyed your story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

This ending is just as miserable and pathetic as the original. They both SUCK!!!

bent16cabent16caalmost 3 years ago

Excellent comment on his part. Would still like to hear her drivil for what is't worth . Oh he forgot to burn the painting ! ! !

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

@bent16ca: No, the painting doesn't burn. It stays, so every time she sees it, she'll remember this letter.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous