Another Story

Story Info
When one story ends another begins.
859 words
4.73
25.2k
28
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Bebop3
Bebop3
2,369 Followers

This story is exactly 750 words. There is less time invested in the creation of a 750 word story than in my other works, but the emotional investment is often the same. It's tricky to craft a decent story with artificial limitations. In my not-so-objective view, I've both succeeded and failed in previous efforts. I hope this one falls on the positive side of the ledger.

With thanks to the people that have been kind enough to read the Montauk stories.

*****

"You son of a bitch. There's no way you should look that good. How old are you?"

My voice was barely above a whisper and there was a smile on my face as I teased my oldest friend. He had to be at least one hundred ten, but he looked like he was a weathered seventy-five.

He winked and sat beside my bed. "How should we count such things, Finn? In years?"

I shrugged and closed my eyes. I must have fallen asleep. The shadows were deeper when I awoke. He was still there. He smiled as I looked his way.

"You'll look after her, right?"

There was always something about him, something solid and dependable. Alistair nodded.

"Of course. You don't need to ask."

He was right, but I felt so powerless. Asking was something I could do. Maybe the last thing that I could gift to my Jennifer. Alistair and his beautiful crazy sister would continue to watch over my family as they had for decades. Like many others, they had been grafted onto my little clan, becoming part of my extended family. Alistair had known me since birth, and Yekong had joined us when I was thirty.

Remembering things that happened today was difficult, but the highlights of my life shone like a beacon, every detail crisp in my memory. I remember my morning run with Dink the day we first met Jennifer. My dog falling in love with her as quickly as I had, running towards her, and then away, trying to get her to chase him. He brought unbridled joy to all of us, but Dink was there for her when she was lost and in her dark times.

The windows were open and I could smell the ocean air as it filled the room. I thought of Jennifer wearing her ridiculous waders and floppy hat when she went out with me on the clammer and later out on the yacht. That was our first date, but she already owned my heart at that point.

Alistair and I spoke. It was a quiet, slow conversation and much was said without being spoken.

"How much longer, Alistair?"

He inhaled deeply and blinked a few times before answering. "Not long."

I nodded. "How... How old am I?"

"You are ninety-four, my friend."

"Siobhan... She's here?"

He paused. "Tommy is here. You'll be seeing Siobhan soon."

Laying my head back down, I was soon asleep. When my eyes opened again I was surrounded by my family. Jennifer was holding my hand; William and Cynthia stood by the bed. Pete's children were standing near Alistair and Yekong. Roberts, our dog, was on the floor next to the bed.

I looked at my son. "Help me sit up."

Staring out at the dock, I remembered taking him fishing when my back had healed and cooking with my daughter on our smokers. I kissed him and Cynthia and held my wife for the last time. She felt as she always had, both in my arms and my heart.

"Thank you, my love. You saved me."

Tears in her eyes, she whispered in my ear. "We saved each other."

Resting again, I awoke... somewhere else.

Slate paving stones formed a path that was bordered by clouds that clung to the ground. I followed the path ever upwards until I met a man with a kind smile and a warm handshake.

"Welcome, Mr. Corrigan. You are most welcome indeed. Some people are very excited about your arrival."

He gently took my elbow and led me towards the crest on the hill. I paused.

"I... I think I'm going to wait here."

"That's most unusual, Mr. Corrigan. Are you sure? Do you understand what awaits you?"

"I think so."

Tilting his head, he smiled and seemed amused. "May I ask why the hesitation?"

"It's not heaven without Jennifer."

He nodded slowly and I continued.

"Is there any good fishing around here?"

"There is indeed. And this almost never happens, but I think I may be able to pull a few strings and find someone to keep you company."

Hearing his barking, I laughed, turned, and saw Dink bounding towards me.

A day came when he used his huge snout and pushed me back to the path. Standing, smile in place, I waited. Jennifer was as beautiful as the first day I'd seen her when she appeared in Montauk.

Young again, I took her hand and we turned the page to begin another story together.

*****

This story is dedicated to someone that has meant more to me than I can express. With thanks to the members of the Anchorage Alaskans.