Apprehended Ch. 23

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I nodded solemnly.

He murmured softly, easing me until I was a little calmer. When I felt a little better, he said, "we have to shower now."

I still wasn't sure what caused the repugnant sight of water and why I felt the need not to wash Ethan off of my skin, but it still held no appeal. Unfortunately, I now had no choice but to clean myself.

Ethan sensed my unease. "A quick shower. I'll clean you myself and get you out quickly. I vow it...alright, my petal?"

I nodded again.

He patted my rump. "Good."

Ethan made good on his promise. We were both in and out of the shower in less than ten minutes. He did a great job of washing us as well. When we were finished, he deposited me on the bed and cleaned the mess in the bathroom.

I felt so bad. I watched him, opening my mouth to apologize, but he beat me to it.

"Don't. You. Dare," he snapped, cleaning the floor and putting out clean towels. "I won't have it."

I closed my mouth.

He glanced at his watch and finished. He went straight to his wardrobe, glancing at me as I trembled within the confines of a towel. "Are you cold?"

I shivered. "A little."

He grabbed one of his black hoodies and a pair of thick, wool socks. "Here, love." He handed them over.

I pulled it over my head, snuggling into the warmth. "Thank you."

He winked at me and tossed a tee shirt over his head before slipping into a pair of worn jeans that hugged him in all the right places.

I stared. He was so gorgeous.

"Again, baby?"

I blinked. "Hmm?"

He laughed and approached, taking the wool socks and sliding them over my feet. "You're insatiable, mon amore." He pulled them up to my knees and looked me over. "So beautiful," he murmured.

Instant heat rushed to my face and I ducked my head. He made me feel good without even touching me. His voice...his words alone were enough to make me melt.

He chuckled. "As much as I want to see your stunningly radiant legs in those knee-highs, I'm going to cover you. I don't want you exposed in front of another male."

Soooooo overprotective. At this point, I didn't bother arguing. I wouldn't win anyway.

"Don't worry," he added, moving to grab a pair of my leggings from the closet. "I'll be more than happy to make it up to you later...when I peel these off of you." He slipped my leggings on, pressing a single kiss to each ankle before covering me completely. When he was done, he scooped me off the bed and carried me downstairs just as a knock sounded on the door. "He's here." He placed me on the couch and covered me with a blanket, kissing me softly on the lips before heading to the door to let Baldridge in.

I grew a little nervous.

Sure, I had experienced the common doctor's appointment when I was younger. Sure, I saw a doctor when Jerry's injuries inflicted upon me were not going to heal on their own. But this?

Dear god, this was completely different.

And it made me just as nauseous as the sight of water had upstairs.

A cold blast of air entered the living room and I wrapped the blanket around me tighter. The short, stout male entered in a rush, carrying a medical bag and bowing in front of his Alpha.

"Alpha," he said, taking off his light jacket.

I realized that he didn't seem affected by the cold. I wondered if it was because he too was a wolf. He certainly didn't look like the other shifters in Ethan's clan. In fact, I never really bothered to ask Ethan about the Doc. I'm not sure why it even mattered now. Perhaps seeing him when I felt so exposed and vulnerable made me question things.

Either way, I was going to make a mental note to ask Ethan a barrage of questions later.

"Luna," he said.

I smiled. "Hey doc."

Ethan took his coat and set it in the coat rack near the door. "Can I get you anything to drink?" he offered.

The male shook his head. "No, thank you, Alpha." He approached a little hesitantly, looking to Ethan once more when he was a few feet away. "May I?"

Ethan gave a tight nod.

The doc walked further in, taking a seat on the coffee table in front of me. He looked me over, sniffing the air around me the same way Ethan usually did when scenting me.

Which confirmed that he was indeed a wolf.

He turned to look at Ethan. "She is indeed pregnant, Alpha. Without a doubt."

How the fuck was he so sure?

The doc refocused on me and let out a little laugh. "I'm sure you're probably wondering how I know that. I can assure you that I have seen and scented many a female with child in my long years of practice. Human females included."

That made sense. In a weird sort of way. Then again, everything about my life had become weird. It was no longer surprising.

"May I take her pressure?" he asked Ethan.

"Please do," he replied.

Baldridge unzipped his medical bag and pulled out a blood pressure cuff. I offered him an arm and he moved to sit beside me on the couch, slipping the cuff on and making quick work of it. "Looks good," he said when he was done. He peeled the cuff off and placed it in his bag, moving to my wrist and holding it with a finger pressed over my pulse. "And your heart rate."

I waited quietly, trying to keep still.

He glanced at Ethan when finished. "Heart rate is a little low."

Ethan pushed leaned against the mantle above the fireplace, folding his thick arms across his massive chest. "What is causing it?"

"Can be a number of things." He refocused on me. "Have you eaten, Luna?"

"No," Ethan answered. "She doesn't eat much."

I scowled. "I ate cheesecake."

"It's not nearly enough. Nor was it recent," he pointed out. "She vomits quite consistently too."

My eyes went wide. "I do no-"

He looked at me. "You puked up your organs in the bathroom before he arrived," he said flatly. "Or do you not remember?"

"The water grossed me out!" I said.

"That's another thing," he added. "I've never seen water trigger nausea or vomiting."

The doc lifted a hand to calm us as we went back and forth. "Actually, that is quite common for human females and their mates."

My brows shot up. "It is?"

"Indeed." He stared at Ethan, suddenly looking a little uncomfortable. He cleared his throat. "I mean no disrespect, Alpha, but have you two been...uhhh...intimate recently?"

Ethan growled, taking a threatening step towards the doc, who put his hands up in mock surrender. "You're right," he snarled. "It is disrespectful."

"Ethan," I said, glowering at him. "Stop."

He opened his mouth to reply but I cut him off.

"Doc, what does that have to do with anything?"

Baldridge swallowed hard, tossing nervous glances in Ethan's direction. "I meant no disrespect," he repeated, "as I know what it means for a bonded male when speaking of his female in such a way. But it is common for the human female not to be washed after intimacy. It ensures that the release stays within her and on her, for her young to thrive healthily. For her to thrive healthily."

I swear I nearly vomited all over again. "Seriously?"

"I'm afraid so. But worry naught, Luna. It only occurs immediately after intimacy. It soon passes."

I guess that was tolerable. Considering the rest of the bullshit that I had to deal with? I'd say that that small hitch could be overlooked.

"I assume Ethan told you the implications of your current station?"

"Yes," snapped Ethan in obvious irritation. "I did."

"Good," he said. "Do you have any questions for me, Luna?"

"Ummm...yeah...actually, I do." I rubbed my moist hands on the blanket to rid them of sweat. "What are the serious risks that we have to monitor?"

He nodded. "Good question. As of right now, I cannot specifically tell you how far long you are without a blood test. Which I will gather just before I leave. But I will provide the proper prenatal vitamins required. As well as other necessary vitamins stringently focused on the young's special needs. Which is essential. You must take them until the end of term. You will also need to eat, no matter the nausea or vomiting. Alpha," he said to Ethan, "whatever she wants. Food is sustenance for the mother and child. A must."

Ethan nodded in agreement.

The doc went on. "Drink water. You must stay hydrated."

"Done," said Ethan. "What else?"

"Well, I'm certain you are aware," he said strictly to me, "that the need for intimacy from your mate will only increase over time. I must warn you not to be alarmed at the inconsistencies during your first trimester. However, it should get easier with progression. Steadier and constant. You will notice a pattern. Stick to it. Both of you." He looked to Ethan. "The life of your female and young depend on it. On you. Without you...well...you know what it can cause. When she wants you..."

"She can have me," he said, seriously. "I vow it. On my honor."

The doc nodded, now focusing on me once again. "I will monitor your progression closely, Luna. You will find that the longer you are with child, the more dangerous it will become. Constant rest and little stress are necessary. Death is quite common in the final, fourth trimester; as the young is at its largest. This tends to put strain on the female, whose body is incompatible with the young. The more exposure to your mate, the better your chances. Now, we will take this one day at a time. In my clinic, I have an ultrasound machine. Alpha," he said to Ethan. "I suggest we go as soon as you are ready to measure the progress of your young and female."

"Done," Ethan said without hesitation. "Tomorrow?"

"The sooner the better. Ten o'clock."

"Ten it is."

The doc went on. "I will not lie to you, Luna. The entire pregnancy is rather delicate. Time only increases the risks, whatever they may be. Watch for new symptoms. Be alert for any signs of bleeding, high pulse, low pulse, dizziness and excessive fatigue. Vomiting is common. Nausea is common. But if for any reason you feel unwell," he pointed to Ethan. "you go to your mate immediately. He will call me. I will be here within a moment."

I felt the blood drain from my face.

"I do not mean to frighten you, Luna," the doc said softly. "But this is serious. This is a high-risk pregnancy. We must be prepared. Right now, all seems well. Normal. But that can change quickly. I wish to prevent that." He rose and faced Ethan. "I shall give you the required pills and dosages. Milk is crucial. She needs the calcium. I will also provide the blood pressure cuff, which you already know how to use. You must check her pulse daily. Purchase a journal. Log her progress. Log any symptoms. Log the times she takes her vitamins and pills. Everything."

"Absolutely," said Ethan.

The doc took several vials of blood and moved on to speak with Ethan quickly before leaving. I was unable to keep up with the fast-paced conversation, so I waited quietly whilst they exchanged information, medicine and everything needed. When they were done, the doc collected his things and put on his coat, stopping by the door to bid me goodbye and to add, "do not worry, my Luna. You are in wonderful hands," he said, looking at my mate.

I smiled. "I know," I agreed. Ethan would take care of us without a doubt. "Thank you, doc. See you tomorrow?"

"Of course. Good day, Luna. Alpha."

Then, he was gone.

I slumped on the couch, feeling exhausted. Especially after our passionate love-making upstairs. Which I never had the chance to fully recover from. "Hey Ethan?"

"Yes, amore?" He sighed heavily and ran a hand over his face.

"Are you okay? This is...a lot."

He took a seat beside me, grabbing my hand and lacing our fingers together. "For you, yes."

"I meant you," I corrected him. For some strange reason, having him wait on me made me feel guilty; as if it were too much for one person to handle on their own. He was busy enough as it was. Adding this...me in the mix?

I can only imagine the burden.

"Don't worry about me," he said. "You worry about yourself and the young. That's all that matters."

There was a moment of silence.

Which he filled with, "are you hungry?"

"Not really."

"You heard Baldridge. You must eat."

"But food is gross right now."

"Too bad," he said. "No negotiating. You eat."

I truly wasn't hungry. I was thoroughly exhausted. "I just want to rest in bed."

"Not before you eat," he said dryly.

"I'm not hungry," I repeated.

"I don't give a shit," he spat. "You will eat. This is not up for debate."

Ugh.

"Can't I just...take...whatever it is upstairs with me?" I asked.

He got up and went to the kitchen to prepare...whatever the fuck.

"Please," I added, turning to watch him. "I'm tired." He made quick work of serving something in a bowl before placing it on the counter. "No. You may fall asleep and not finish. Sit here, eat first. If you're tired after you're done, I will carry you upstairs for a nap."

I groaned in frustration. Could he not take a fucking hint? "I'm nauseous."

"Because you haven't eaten." He placed a strong, muscled arm on the counter, resting his weight on it. "Stop arguing with me. You and the young need energy. So sit down and eat. I'm not asking."

I glared. "You're not happy with all of this," I gritted out bitterly. "So why give a shit about eating? That shows that you actually want this pregnancy."

Oh. Shit.

Definitely not the correct thing to say to him.

The snarl that permeated the air made the fucking cabinets shake. I expected a blow-out; Ethan going full-on wolf with his short temper.

What I got was worse.

So much worse.

Because he didn't bother to argue back. Or tell me off in response.

No.

Instead, he all but threw the dirty dishes into the sink and took off his shirt, stripping his pants next. Which rendered him gloriously naked.

He patted barefoot across the kitchen, opening the glass door wide, sending a burst of cold wind into the cabin. "I'm going out," he barked. "Don't wait up for me."

He slammed the door so hard, a crack sliced through the glass, nearly shattering it entirely.

And I stood there.

In the living room.

Staring at the glass doors as if he would come back. As if it were some kind of joke and he'd come in once more, unwilling to leave me alone when we were so fragile right now.

Only...he didn't come back.

And I didn't eat.

***

I slept off my anger and pain, blissfully ignorant in the land of dreams.

Too bad it didn't last.

I awoke in a panic, doing the one thing I promised myself I wouldn't do: I called out for Ethan as I got up, reaching out for him as fresh tears slid down the length of my cheek like rain.

He wasn't there.

Which caused a whole new wave of agony.

I sniffled and glanced at the time. Evening had already descended and as far as I could tell, Ethan hadn't returned. If he did, he would've been here the minute I called out for him. And I can't say that it didn't hurt. Because it did.

But there was little I could do at this point.

Jesus.

That last little quarrel was instantaneous and as undeserved as the rest. It was unnecessary and thrown completely out of proportion. And for what? Lack of an appetite?

I groaned.

What the actual fuck? This was worse than I thought. My temper was getting shorter and shorter. Food bothered me. Water was going to make me cringe. It seemed not having him with me when I woke only made the situation worse.

I was on the brink of losing my shit. Of losing my sanity. What did that mean three months from now? Four? Fuck. I was a disaster. Taking out my hormonal imbalances on Ethan was also a big fat hell-to-the-mother-fucking-no.

I cursed. This was only going to get worse. The back and forth between him and I. The jabs. The low-blows. Never did I imagine Ethan and I would be here. Angry and separated by miles. Literally and figuratively.

Apparently, the lovemaking was temporary. Because once the sex faded, we were back to balancing our problems on the precipice of mount fucking Everest.

I made a move to get off the bed and head into the bathroom when the bedroom door opened. I expected Ethan but was shocked to see Gavin standing underneath the doorway; resting the side of his large body against the wood with his arms folded across his chest. I didn't want him with me to be completely honest. No matter at odds I was with my mate, I still yearned for him.

"You okay?" he asked.

I nearly mumbled a curse again, but stitched my maw. It wasn't Gavin's fault that Ethan and I weren't doing well. "Mm-hmm. What are you doing here?"

"Alpha told me to watch you."

Of course he did.

"You haven't eaten," he said.

Ugh.

"I wasn't hungry."

"Yeah, well make yourself hungry. Because you both need to eat."

"Wait," I said in confusion. "He told you?"

"I am his Beta. Of course I know. I also know that Alpha wouldn't be too pleased that you haven't eaten. Nor seeing that bowl full of food he no doubt prepared for you left untouched."

I got up slowly, my body aching. "Do I have to hear it from you too?" I asked.

"Hear what?"

"More arguing. More impositions. Are you going to tell me that you're not happy about my pregnancy too?"

He frowned. "Believe me, the last thing I want is to make your life difficult, Luna. I'm only here to make sure you're taken care of."

"By the male who left me alone in a fit of rage."

"Look," he said, peeling away from the door to fully enter the room. He stopped by the side of the bed. "I will not choose sides. That's not my place. Nor is it my business. I've never been in Ethan's position, but I can only imagine where he's at right now. Just as I can only imagine where you're at. It's not ideal and there's nothing fantastic about disagreements between mates. But I've witnessed quite a few in my lifetime. I've also witnessed human females pregnant with shifters. So I can understand his concern over his mate. If it were me? Hell, I don't think I'd ever sleep; watching over my Lily constantly just to ensure she's fucking breathing. You also can't starve yourself. It only makes things worse."

"I'm not starving myself," I said in irritation. "I'm just not hungry. I'm nauseous."

"You're only nauseous because you haven't eaten."

I snorted. "Great. Now you sound just like Ethan."

"I am his cousin, you realize? And we're more like brothers. It comes with the territory. But nice try on changing the subject, female."

I swear, I gave him my most threatening glower.

He smiled, revealing straight, white fangs and teeth. "I love you too," he said. "But you're not off the hook just because your mate isn't here. I'm going to feed you. Use the bathroom. When you're ready, come downstairs."

I mumbled under my breath-cursing all male wolves-when I stopped short and turned my head to face him before he left. "Can I have cheesecake?" I asked. Ethan would have said no before eating an actual meal. But Gavin didn't need to know that. Maybe I could get what I want whilst I was being forced to eat.

"After dinner," he said.

Dammit.

I tossed him another glare.

To which, he laughed lowly and left me alone to my own devices.

I made it a point to take my time in the bathroom, unwilling to talk or see Gavin until I cooled down a bit. When I finished, I headed downstairs at the pace of a fucking snail, plopping onto the couch like a sack of potatoes.

Then I got the scent...of something that made my mouth water.

Gavin laughed, no doubt sensing my sudden interest in food. "Are you hungry now, female?"

I turned, staring at him in the kitchen as he ate...

Pizza.

Fucking, delicious, saucy pizza.

With the works.

He pointed to the boxes on the counter. "We got five pies. Pepperoni, bacon, extra cheese, the works and barbeque. Get your ass up and choose."

I got off that couch as if my ass were on fire, heading straight for the works. Gavin watched me closely, nearly inhaling a whole slice of pizza in one bite. I opened the box, my mouth watering at the sight and smell of the food. I grabbed a plate and piled it with three slices, dumping my rump on a barstool and taking a gloriously large bite of the cheesy goodness.