Apprehended Ch. 29

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She moved like a lithe animal, smooth and swift as she snatched a pen from Ethan's holder on his desk and chucked it at Gavin's head. "Motherfucker. He's never seen me because I ghost when he's around."

Ethan cocked a suspicious brow. "Not liking a male has never made you disappear before."

"Yeah, well, it's either that or I shoot the bastard. Pick one."

I did my best to hide my smile but decided it was best to leave it alone. No point in nagging the poor female when she so clearly despised Tony.

"Are you busy?" she asked Ethan.

"Not anymore. What's doing?"

I made a move to get off Ethan's lap but he held me in place. "Where are you going?"

I pointed to the door. "I need a stretch. You're obviously busy and Tony already left. I can go back downstairs and watch television with Lily."

He considered. "Alright. Don't go outside, mea vita."

I kissed him quickly on the lips. "I promise."

Ethan helped me to my feet and discretely patted my bum as I made my way around his desk. I turned and scowled but he winked. "Precious."

I couldn't help it. I giggled.

He rested his elbows on the desk and followed me with his eyes as I left, blowing him a kiss before leaving him to it. I heard his low chuckle as I shuffled away, nearly colliding into a baffled Tony on the way to the stairs.

"Hey. Everything okay?"

He shoved his hands into his pockets. "I know this place like the back of my hand, but don't seem to know where to go. Any ideas?"

I grabbed his arm and pulled him along as we descended the stairs. "I'll take you to Garrett. He can set up a guest room for you."

"Any chance he can set me up next to that woman?"

I laughed. "You mean Kindra?"

He froze, his foot hovering on the last step to the foyer. "Is that her name?"

Shit. Perhaps revealing her name wasn't my brightest idea. I lightly urged him forward. "Come on. Don't tell her that I told you her name. She's going to be livid."

He smiled, revealing straight white teeth. "Feisty too?"

Crap. I shook my head just as Garrett arrived, carrying a tray of food and on his way to the game room. I stopped him. "Hey, Gar. Can you do me a favor?"

He bowed low. "But of course, Sol Luna. What may I do for you?"

"Tony is staying the night. Can you set him up?"

He straightened and focused on Tony. "Of course." He bowed to Tony and the poor guy shifted uncomfortably. "I shall have everything prepared within the hour. May I relieve you of your hat and coat, Sire?"

Tony handed them over, his blush a deep scarlet on his cheeks. When Garrett glided away, he turned to face me, speaking low. "That guy gives me the creeps. Always has."

I laughed. "You know him?"

He shrugged. "Been here many times when I was a boy. Ethan and my pop were close." He frowned, staring off into the distance at an obvious memory. "It was a long time ago. But I remember Ethan letting me have my own room full of toys. I used to sleep over when we visited. Had my very own room too."

Interesting.

"I looked up to him back then," he continued softly. "You know...Ethan. Thought he was just as great as my old man. He was my best friend."

I listened intently, hanging on every word. When he grew silent, I pressed for more. "What changed?"

He ran a hand through his hair and looked down at his boots. "Clan always comes first," he said, his voice solemn and low. "No matter what."

I stared at him. At the sudden deflation of his shoulders. At the way he hung his head and the melancholic sorrow rolling off of him in waves. Whatever took place, it wasn't good. In fact, I was willing to bet that it left deep, invisible scars.

For both males in question.

I no longer felt the need to press. His sadness was too palpable to continue and I felt like an imposing intruder breaking into someone's home. "I'm sorry," I said, reaching out to put a gentle hand on his large shoulder. It was warm. "I didn't mean to stir up bad memories."

He lifted his head and found my eyes, forcing a grin. "It's alright, cupcake. No need to apologize." Though he was being polite, it was visibly evident that the conversation shook him. He lifted a hand to tuck hair behind my ear. Just as Ethan did countlessly. "I can see why his wolf chose you as a mate, you know."

I smiled and blushed. "Oh. Why's that?"

He tapped the tip of my nose. "You're kind and empathetic."

I begged to differ. I was also a busybody. "Yeah, well...tell that to Ethan when I meddle."

He laughed. "I don't think Dune would mind that in the bigger scheme of things. You're beautiful. Smart. Easygoing. Compassionate."

I reached out to playfully nudge his shoulder. "You're not so bad yourself."

He grinned. "Thanks."

Tony was cool like that. He was insanely easy to talk to. "You know," I said, leading him passed the dining room and into the game room where clan members milled about. "We have a movie theater here."

He froze, his brows popping up. "No shit. For real? I didn't know that."

I laughed. "Its huge. A pool too."

He shook his head. "I guess Dom made some changes since my childhood. The security here is insane."

"Possibly," I said. I walked to the couch and took a seat beside Lily. "You've met before, right?"

Tony nodded. "Of course. She's Kevin's daughter. How ya doin' there little lady?"

Lily smiled warmly. "What's up, big man? Haven't seen you in awhile."

"No doubt. How the fuck did you end up with these goons?"

"Gavin. He's my mate."

"No shit?" said Tony, taking a seat on the armrest of the plush couch. "Since when?"

"A few months."

"You staying permanently?"

"Yup. You know how it is. Can't leave even if I wanted to."

"Yeah, yeah," Tony went on.

They went back and forth at that point, chatting it up. They knew each other well. I had no idea. It was an interesting conversation. Though they didn't discuss Lily's parents, it was obvious that the connection began with her dad.

Eventually, the conversation was filled with laughter as Garrett bought in massive trays of food. We all ate and talked, shooting the shit on the couch and watching television simultaneously. Drinks were poured, tensions were eased and it flowed like a seamless waterfall.

"So," said Tony, taking a sip of beer. "You want to tell me what that thing is, Annie?"

I peeled my gaze away from the screen. "Hmm? What?"

He pointed to my celestial. "That."

"Oh." I reached out and touched it, causing it to bounce and shimmer in a soft pink. "Ethan made it for me. It's a celestial. It can read my emotions, light up and guide me, and can even be used as communication when I need Ethan."

He took a deep swig of beer. "How exactly does that work?"

I grabbed it and held it in my hand, watching it alternate colors before settling on a light blue with ice. I held it out to him. "Here. Try it."

He hesitated. "I don't know, Annie."

I urged him. "Awe, come on, Tony. It doesn't bite."

He considered.

And rolled with it.

"Alright, fine. What do I do?"

"Just hold out your hand," I said. He obeyed. I placed the ball of fluff in his open palm...and watched in amusement as he lifted it to his face and examined it in awe as it went from blue and cold...

To red and hot.

"Don't touch that!" Gavin hollered, arriving at the worst possible time.

However, it wasn't convenient enough. The ball shivered and spat out a stream of water...right into Tony's face.

I broke out into peels of uncontrolled laughter.

"Shit!" he barked, pulling away and tossing it at me. "What the fuck?"

"Told you," said Gavin joining in. He took a seat on the rug in front of Lily, settling in between her legs. "That thing is a little fucker. Of course, Ethan would make a little shit like that and give it to her. She's just as twisted as he is."

I gasped and leaned in to smack him in the back of the head. "Am not!"

Tony swiped at his soaked face and gave me a look. "You knew that was going to happen, didn't you?"

"Noooo!"

"Yes, she did," said Gavin, rubbing his head. "That ball of crap did the same thing to me."

Lily was in tears. "Not to me," she said between laughs.

"That's because you're a female," Gav countered. "I'm willing to bet that Alpha concocted it against males-no matter the species."

I laughed harder. "Did not! It was a gift."

"And a warning," he added, slapping my celestial away as it drifted towards him and began to spark. "See what I mean?"

I wiped a few tears from my own eyes. "He gave it to me for protection."

"Against males too," Ethan added, joining the fray.

"You see!" snapped Gavin loudly. "I told you!"

Everyone laughed more. Even Tony smiled, despite being thoroughly soaked. Ethan mimicked his cousin and took a seat in front of me, shoving his large body in between my thighs.              

"You're so big," shot Gavin, nudging him with his shoulder.

"You know it," said Ethan, winking.

"Move over, you bastard." They went at it, with Ethan punching Gav on the shoulder roughly. "Stop doing that!"

"Pussy," Ethan muttered.

The ball was now rolling. Jokes were shared, more drinks were consumed and food was eaten in abundance. Someone put on the music and soon, the game room became a party. Tony loosened up, conversing with a few clan members that joined us or simply said hello.

I reached out and pulled off Ethan's hair band, running my fingers through the thickness as he grabbed a controller and began playing video games with Gavin, Jared, Michael and a few other males.

I leaned in and took a sniff. "Your hair smells good," I said lowly.

He dropped his heavy head onto my thighs and looked at me upside down. "You smell good. Give me a kiss, sweetheart."

I cradled his face, rubbing my fingertips along his whiskered cheeks before planting a big one on his soft mouth. God, kissing him was an addiction.

"Beautiful," he murmured into my mouth.

I smiled. "You are. Now let me play with your hair." I nudged his head up.

"Please do," he said, resuming his game.

I split it into several thick parts and began making braids. It felt nice to have his large body snuggled deeply into mine. It felt nice to have his hair on my skin. It also felt nice to do something normal.

"His hair is beautiful," Lily muttered beside me. She reached out and grabbed a thick lock, admiring the golden highlights he had in between. "Like the sun."

I smiled. "The color actually matches his eyes. You can't really see the blonde unless you're in the light." I parted his hair, digging my way into the middle. The scent of his shampoo wafted into my nose. "Right here, he has massive highlights. That's why you don't see it. He usually picks it up and its hidden in all this shiny goodness." I grabbed a lock as well and rubbed it in between my fingers. "His hair is insanely thick too."

She leaned in, just as absorbed as I was. "It totally is." She pointed to his hairline beside his ear. "You should braid here and work your way down. If you leave the top alone, he'll look like some sort of Viking warrior or some shit. Totally dope."

I nodded and started splitting it in new areas. "That's actually a great idea. You want to do this side and I'll do the other?"

She grew excited. "Yes!" She scooted closer and split more hair on her side as I began splitting the other.

I began braiding in silence, making two thick braids above Ethan's ear that continued to the tip of his hair, where I stopped and looked around on the couch. "Shit," I said. I looked at Lily, who was almost done with her braids. "I forgot to get more hair bands. I want to secure them at the end so they don't come undone. I'll be right back."

I made a move to get up but Ethan paused the game and turned to face me. "Hey. Where are you going, baby?"

"I need hair bands. They're in our room."

His eyes sparkled in the light of the golden chandelier above. "Alright, belulla. Be careful walking up and down the stairs, okay?"

I shifted to move off the couch and he leaned forward so I could get up. "Okay."

He stopped me before I could leave, snagging my hand and pulling me down for a quick kiss before I left and he resumed playing. The game room's loud sounds faded as I made my way passed the dining room and into the foyer, where I caught the sound of distant, heated voices. Pausing, I leaned into the general direction of the voices and slowly made my way towards the kitchen and froze mid-step.

Kindra and Tony were going at it, huddled into a corner where Tony no doubt snuck up on her.

"No need to be rude," Tony muttered with a boyish grin as he sipped yet another glass of beer. "Only trying to be polite, darlin'."

I briefly wondered how the two managed to get isolated from the party. Naturally, Kindra was introverted by nature. Surely she had to hear him sneaking up on her.

Right?

Tony looked a little too pleased. Kindra was anything but. In fact, she was on the verge of a colossal explosion. "Don't call me that," she countered. "And don't follow me again. I like my space."

She stormed off towards the foyer and I scurried back, attempting to flee but wasn't fast enough. Kindra's eyes met mine and she scowled. "Meddling again, are we?"

My face went scarlet. "Didn't mean to. I heard arguing and kind of wandered over."

She shook her head and moved passed me. "Yeah, well there's nothing doing here." She sauntered off angrily, her boots hitting each step with loud, deliberate frustration.

"Is she always difficult to talk to?" asked Tony, taking a spot beside me.

I shrugged. "She keeps to herself. I don't talk to her much."

"I can see why. She's a fierce woman."

"Female," I amended. "She's not human." It seemed he needed a little reminder of that fact.

He nodded his head once and looked into his glass of beer, swirling it around in soft circles. "They aren't like us, Annie."

That gave me pause.

"I'm sorry-what?"

He took another sip, pulling in a long, deep swig. "They aren't like us," he repeated. "Wolves. They never will be."

"I know that," I mumbled, unsure how to reply. "I've been with them long enough."

"Have you, really?" he asked.

I frowned. "Yeah. What are you getting at, Tony?"

He shrugged. "Not getting at anything. Just letting you know that the clan comes first. Always."

"You said that already," I pointed out.

"I did. Just making sure you heard it."

I folded my arms across my chest, feeling a little defensive. "What does that mean?"

"It means what I said." He leaned into me and lowered his voice. "Just be vigilant, alright?"

"Of who?"

He gave me a look. "You know who, Annie."

"You sound like a wizard scared of Voldemort. Be specific, Tony."

He cursed and ran a frustrated hand over his face. "Your mate," he specified. "Your fucking mate."

I took a step back, nearly colliding into the wall behind me. "Ethan would neve-"

"Don't underestimate their species," he interrupted. "They would do anything to protect their own."

I glowered. "I am one of their own."

"Are you?"

He was starting to piss me off. "I'm pregnant with Ethan's young. So yeah, I would say that I am."

He shrugged again and backed off. "Okay."

I stared at him incredulously. "Okay? WTF is that supposed to mean?"

"It means okay, Annie."

I shook my head in disbelief. "Look, whatever happened between you two is bad enough that you can't stand each other. But don't put me in the middle of it."

"Believe me, I'm not. I'm only trying to look out for you. You don't know what he's done."

"So tell me," I pressed. "Enlighten me."

"Let's just say that he's an expert at abandonment. He's a ghost. He can get gone like he never existed. Don't think for a fucking second he can't or won't do that to you."

I took a moment to process that.

Then I shook my head. "He wouldn't do that to me."

Tony snorted and polished off the rest of his beer. "I thought that too. I really did. So did my old man. But he did. And my father died for it. I nearly died too. Did he tell you that?"

I froze, my eyes as wide as saucers. "He didn't."

"Yeah, well, he's also good at keeping secrets." With that said, he inclined his head and moved passed me. "Goodnight, Annie."

I stood there, frozen in the space between the kitchen and foyer, completely confused and unable to move as Tony's words processed.

Abandonment?

I knew Ethan was a lot of things. Sometimes a liar. Overprotective. Dominating. But never a male who would abandon those he cared for. It was simply not in his nature. Did he out his clan above all else? Absolutely. Would he hurt innocent people in the process?

Now I wasn't so sure of the answer.

"Everything okay?"

I jerked to attention and instinctively put a shaky hand to my throat as Ethan approached, his hair no longer in braids. I forced a small smile and pushed away from the wall. "Umm, yeah. Fine."

He looked me over. "Are you sure? You never got the bands."

I frowned in confusion. "The bands?"

He pointed upstairs. "The hair bands."

Oh. Right.

"Yeah. Sorry. Got distracted."

He took a spot before me and loomed. "Over what?"

There was no way I was going to tell him about the discussion I had with Tony. Not now. "Just spoke with Kindra really quick."

He cocked a suspicious brow. "Really quick? It's been ten minutes."

I nearly gaped but bit my lip to keep myself in check. It seemed my conversation with Tony had rendered time irrelevant. "Sorry about that."

He reached out and tucked stray hair behind my ear. "Are you sure you're okay?"

I nodded. "Yeah."

There was an awkward silence. One that was as unfamiliar as it was uncomfortable. In the beginning, Ethan and I were new, raw and tense. Now? Things were different. Yet, here we were, seemingly back where we started.

And he noticed.

"Is there something on your mind?" he asked softly.

Plenty. But I didn't want to get into it. So I went with, "no. Just tired."

He assessed me carefully, his eyes going over every inch of my face and body before he nodded tersely. "You want to head upstairs to bed?"

That was actually a great idea. I lost the urge to socialize. "Yeah, I think that sounds good."

"Alright." He leaned in and pressed a kiss to my forehead. "I'll meet you in a few."

I was grateful for the separation. I needed alone time to think. "Yeah, okay."

He seemed hesitant to let me go, but he took a step back and shoved his hands into his jean pockets. "You call me if you need me for any reason, yes?"

"Yeah."

"Annie," he pressed. "Seriously. For any reason."

"I got it," I said, turning to head upstairs.

"Good." He watched me leave. "Sleep well, baby. I love you."

"Love you too," I said, leaving him alone.

I took my time walking to our room and made it a point to take a long bubble bath before settling into bed. The room was eerily quiet, but my mind was a loud turmoil of questions and doubt.

Tony's confession danced around in my head like a bad omen.

Was he telling the truth? Was Ethan truly capable of such cruelty? Did he really abandon Tony when it mattered? What really happened between them?

There were always two sides to every story. Surely Ethan's events were different. And I would no doubt believe him. It was the approach that made me hesitant. It was none of my business and I wasn't sure how Ethan would react to me meddling again. It was bad enough that didn't like catching me red-handed going through his mother's trunks. This was something else entirely.

And it bothered me that I had no secrets, yet Ethan was a master at locking his away in a vault. One that I could not penetrate, no matter my status in his life.

I finally fell into a fitful sleep. One filled with uneasiness and uncertainty.

***

It seemed that whenever Ethan and Tony were in the same vicinity, tension followed like a dense fog-seeping through the cracks and clouding over a swamp with the promise of impending doom. The air was hot. The room felt claustrophobic. Hell, even the damn rug appeared to shrink in on itself. As if it were aware of the dangerous males settling on a chair...a couch...beside the raging fireplace.