Apprehended Ch. 31

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Total model material.

I reached out to stop him from putting it back on as he spoke to Jared, who apparently was somewhere in the park. He only wanted Ethan to know he was fine. I plopped Ethan's hat on my head. It smelled like him. Then, I grabbed a thick tendril of his hair and began braiding it, waiting for him to finish talking. He winked at me and smiled, watching me while I played with it.

All too soon, he hung up and slipped the phone back into his pocket. "Having fun?" he grumbled, still grinning.

I scooted as close as I could to his warmth and scratched at his beard. It was soft. "Mm-hmm."

He closed the distance between us and grabbed my chin. I released his braid and beard while he rubbed our noses together playfully before pressing a warm, wet kiss on my lips. "I love you," he whispered against my mouth.

Oh, sweet baby Jesus.

I nearly began hyperventilating. "I love you too."

He chuckled, kissing me deeper.

Everything else faded into obscurity: the height, the fear, the cold, the tight space, and our impending departure. We were interrupted when a deep throat was cleared.

"You can come out now," the worker said, holding the now unlocked door wide open.

I felt my face flush scarlet. Ethan laughed and unbuckled my belt, exiting first to help me out. With ease, he lifted me from the cart and wrapped my legs around him. I giggled and encircled my arms around his neck tightly. He inclined his head at the worker.

"Thanks, my man."

The worker smiled and went about loading the next passengers. Ethan walked with me in his hold, cupping my ass to hitch me higher. People stared, which was nothing abnormal. Ethan was so tall and other-worldly, it was difficult not to notice his presence. He could never be labeled as ordinary. Our odd eye anomaly only added to the unnecessary attentions. It was difficult to get used to when such interest was aimed at me.

"Where is Jared?" I asked, watching the crowd around us stop to stare and whisper. Others simply gawked.

One particular man couldn't take his eyes off mine, seemingly hypnotized by the golden sparkles. I ducked my head between Ethan's warm neck and shoulder, taking advantage of his clothing to hide my face. Ethan noticed.

"He's with Gav and Lily on the line to that wooden coaster." He patted my bum lightly. "You okay? What's the matter?"

I shifted slightly to whisper into his ear. "People are staring at us."

He laughed quietly. "They're staring at your beauty, my flower."

I lifted my head to find his eyes. "No. You're the tall one."

"Plenty of people are tall," he added.

"Not like you," I reminded him.

He shrugged it off. "Oh, please." He kissed the tip of my cold nose. "You have that whole pregnancy glow. It's absolutely mesmerizing and endearing. I can understand why people are so captivated by you."

I laughed. "Yeah, okay."

He stopped walking and turned slightly so I could have a better view from his towering height. "We're here."

My eyes widened and I grew even more excited. "Yay!" I squealed. "Fortune telling! You think we'll get our palms read?"

He cocked a brow. "I don't know, my Luna. Have you ever been to one before?"

I shook my head, realizing that I still had his cap on as I read the sign that seemed small in comparison to Ethan's mass. "Apollo the Oracle," I read aloud.

Ethan glanced at the sign, frowning.

"Weird name," I commented.

He nodded tersely. "Yeah. Like the destroyer."

That gave me pause. Especially when a young couple exited the tent in a rush, looking panicked and hell-bent on escape. They were highly disturbed. "What was that about?" I wondered, staring after them. The girl was on the verge of tears, while her partner held her tightly in his arms to guide her. I could tell he was trying to keep it together for the female's sake. Though he too was on the precipice of losing what little control he had.

Ethan didn't move and hesitated. "I don't think we should go in."

I flicked my gaze to his face. "What? Why not?"

He shifted uncomfortably and held me tighter against his body. "I don't know," he said, for the first time sounding conflicted. "We just...shouldn't go in."

I tried to brush off his discomfort. "It's just a silly fortune teller, Ethan. All carnivals and sideshows have them. It's an act."

Just then, Jared, Lily and Gav showed up, their arms full of cotton candy, popcorn, and other wares.

"Euuuuuu, a fortune teller," Lily cooed.

Jared and Gav paused directly beside Ethan, each one sniffing the air and losing their cheery demeanor in an instant.

"What is that?" asked Jared, sniffing the air again.

"What's what?" I asked, turning in Ethan's arm to watch him.

They were thoughtfully quiet, obviously sensing something Lily and I were oblivious to.

"I don't know," Ethan murmured, staring at the swaying flaps of the tent's entrance. "I felt it when we arrived. The air feels-"

"Off," Gavin finished. "Like there is some sort of pressure here."

Jared read the wooden sign. "Apollo?"

They stared at each other. "Greek mythology?" asked Gav.

Lily's interest was piqued. "Wait, hold on. Apollo...as in...the God of Oracles?"

My eyes flashed to hers. "We read about that in Greek Mythological Deities."

No one answered.

Which was more than enough for me.

I spent hours reading in our library. I was even familiar with some of the more memorable texts. It seemed Greek Mythology was a favorite across cultures; with many believing in the Twelve Olympians. Apollo in particular was known not only as the God of Oracles, but healing, music, archery, arts, knowledge and even sunlight. He was also known for protecting the young. Which is why Ethan's reluctance to progress baffled me.

"Isn't Apollo highly idolized?" I asked, staring at the washed-out wooden sign again. There was nothing ominous about it.

"Depends on who's doing the worshipping," Jared muttered dryly.

Everyone went quiet, standing completely still and unmoving. People moved and talked around us, blissfully ignorant of what I assumed could be behind the curtain. I swallowed loudly and said in unison with Lily, "let's go in," just as Jared, Ethan and Gavin said simultaneously, "time to leave."

We all stared at each other.

"We're not going in there," Ethan said, matter-of-factly.

"Agreed," said Jared and Gavin.

"Oh, come on," said Lily. "Don't be superstitious. Not everyone you encounter is supernatural."

Three sets of male eyes narrowed on her.

"For us, that's the story of our fuckin' lives," said Gavin. He pointed a finger at her. "We're not going in there. End of discussion."

Lily and I began to protest just as a young girl all but ran out from the tent, her face etched in worry and stained with tears. I hadn't seen her enter the tent before. We were too busy debating whether or not to enter.

Ethan-always the caring male-stopped her. "Hey. You okay?"

She sniffled and shook her head, glancing back at the tent in fear. "That's some trippy shit." Then she sauntered off, no doubt headed home after...whatever she experienced in there.

Lily smiled. "Now we have to go in."

Gavin glared, unamused and unconvinced. "Are you delusional?"

She placed a hand on her hip. "Of course not. But you can't stand there and tell me that it doesn't hold at least some sort of appeal?"

Once more, there was silence.

"Not even curiosity?" she went on.

Silence.

She snorted. "The girl isn't dead, is she? She came out looking fine to me. Besides," she added, tossing her food into the nearest garbage can, "we'll be perfectly safe." She gestured to the huge male bodies. "Annie and I have the best protection there is. Have you seen yourselves in front of a mirror? I doubt a theorized, Mythological figure would attack us with you three there. You guys are terrifying."

I swear, I gaped. So did everyone else.

Gavin was first to break the stunned silence. "Of all the females my wolf chooses...it's a twisted girl hell-bent on masochism."

Jared snickered. "It's better than Ethan. His wolf chose a female who got lured by an incub-"

"Jared!" Ethan snarled, cutting him off.

I felt my face flush again and looked away. "I'm sorry about that," I said.

Ethan growled at him and wrapped a strong hand around my nape to hug me into his embrace.

Gavin tossed his entire tub of popcorn at Jared. "Don't be an asshole, dude."

He wiped off the globs of butter from his jacket. "My bad, bro. But did you have to grease up my shit?"

"You're a dick," snapped Ethan. "And if I wasn't holding my Luna right now, I'd shift and break your goddamned hind legs."

"No!" shouted Gavin, interrupting the conversation. "Lily, no!"

I lifted my head in time to see Lily ducking underneath the tent, entering while everyone else was too busy arguing.

"Fuck," said Ethan.

Gavin didn't hesitate. He went in after her and Ethan automatically followed with Jared close on our heels.

It appeared I wasn't the only one who made really dumb decisions when it concerned personal safety, and despite our previous hesitations to enter, we all ended up filling the entrance, stopping just a few inches from the flapping curtain.

I wrinkled my nose in disgust, catching the scent of burnt candles, horrid incense, and something else that reeked. "What's that smell?" I whispered in the dark.

It was black as night. I couldn't even see Ethan despite our close proximity. I only knew he was with me because I was still being held in his arms, high off the ground. He held me by the nape again, pressing my body as close as possible to his own.

He whispered into my ear. "It's the smell of death."

I swear, I nearly vomited.

I tightened my legs around his hips and my arms around his neck. "I don't want to go in."

"It's too late," whispered Jared. "We're already passed the threshold. There's no turning back. We need to find Lily and Gavin."

Ethan began to walk slowly and steadily. I was completely helpless, relying on his impeccable sight and senses to lead us safely.

"I'm not letting you go," Ethan murmured. "You're staying with me, no matter what. Is that understood?"

"Yes," I whispered. There was no way I was letting him go either.

He tightened his hold even further, securing me to him like a vine above his hips. "If we need to bolt," he said to Jared, "don't shift. Too many eyes. Just run. Gavin will no doubt have Lily. And I've got Luna."

"Agreed," said Jared to our left.

The darkness was impossibly thick, with no end in sight. After a few tense minutes of walking, my fear spiked, and I buried my face into Ethan's neck and shoulder again. "Ethan," I whispered. "I'm scared," I admitted.

He threaded his fingers into my hair and slipped the cap off, slipping it back onto his head so he could effectively soothe me. "I know, precious. I know. Just breathe, okay? I'm right here with you. You know I'll never let anything hurt you."

I already knew that. I was actually frightened for him. For Gavin and Jared. Lily and I were protected. They were not.

"How long is this blasted tent?" Jared asked into the darkness. His voice echoed into the vast expanse, reverberating off unseen corners.

"There is a light ahead," Ethan answered.

I took a peek. A narrow golden glow, resembling the likes of a doorway pierced through the blanket of darkness. It signified a beacon of some sort, a place of escape. But I knew it for what it was...a dead end.

"Do we have to go in?" I whispered into Ethan's ear. At least, I assumed it was Ethan's ear.

"Yeah, love. We have no choice. If we were right about what this is-which I know we are-then once you enter, you cannot leave unless the creator of such a place deems it so."

Well, fuck.

I licked my dry lips and felt a shudder of icy fear tickle down the length of my spine. "Have you ever experienced anything like this?" I asked.

"Unfortunately, yes," he said quietly. "But it wasn't an Oracle."

I was reluctant to ask what it was.

I did anyway.

"What was it?"

I felt him shake his head. "Bad." That was it. A limited answer that spoke volumes.

I nearly puked.

Ethan patted and rubbed my back gently, attempting to soothe me, though little could at this point. The air was filled with an invisible tension that was layered with danger. Like we could be attacked at any moment.

"I'll go first," said Jared when we made it to the doorway.

I couldn't see what was inside. The glow was too blinding.

"Take the rear and protect Luna if we need to escape. I'll hold it off for as long as I can," finished Jared.

I gasped and opened my mouth to comment on how that idea sucked, but he had already passed the threshold, leaving Ethan and I alone in the darkness.

Ethan shook me a little to gain my attention. "Remember what I said, Annie. No matter what you see or hear, don't fight to flee. Don't run away from me. You hold on tight, and I'll take care of the rest. Clear?"

I nodded. "Yes."

"Promise?"

"I promise, Ethan."

He kissed me quickly in the dark and I couldn't help but feel like it could be our last.

The thought made me panic just as Ethan took a step into the doorway.

***

The party had already started once we entered. We were simply late.

Lily was momentarily sitting in an ornate, jeweled wooden chair, stiff and unmoving by a circular table covered in purple velvet. The tent looked like any other tent now that we transitioned. The deep red velvet reminded me of blood, falling in thick heaps along the entire circular area.

A black, candled chandelier hung above, casting deep shadows and an odd grey light that I'd never seen before. Black wooden furniture lined the space, making the tent feel heavy and uncommon of the current time period-as if we had stepped into the past. Even the air was different...thicker and filled with colors that were unknown to Earth.

In front of Lily, several tarot cards were lined on the velvet, depicting actions in motion, like a real video that looped. Only, it wasn't a tablet or smartphone. It was an actual tarot card with moving pictures. I squinted, trying to get a better look, but I couldn't see what they meant. I decided to look around instead. That was when details began to clarify:

The large, glass, smoke-filled orb resting on the center of the circular table. The snakes in a tank to Lily's right, slithering and hissing violently as their black eyes watched her. Heavy chests filled with odd trinkets and shimmering items that had no meaning. Plush, bloodred rugs. A heavy, dark wardrobe carved with hideous creatures that seemed to writhe and move.

And I froze when my eyes captured something so horrifying, I involuntarily whimpered.

Lily's eyes were completely white, glossed over and blind to all else. Gavin was a few feet away, struggling to get to her, but unable to pass some invisible barrier. Though Lily was unbound, her arms were rigid against the wooden armrests of her ornate chair, as if she were being held captive by an unseen force. However, what frightened me most wasn't the invisible barriers that trapped Gavin and Lily to their current predicament.

It was the creature sitting stiffly and menacingly on the opposite side of Lily.

It had no face, no discernable features underneath a black, thick, rigid robe of iced silk. With a narrow head that was too large and disproportioned to be human, the shoulders were bulky and sharp at the tips like daggers. The body was hidden behind the same frozen material, seemingly lifeless as it faced Lily, who was none the wiser to its evil presence.

Everyone else was very aware. Only Lily was at ease, locked in a daze that we couldn't break through. Gavin screamed and tried to get to her, forcing his body to move. All to no avail. Though he was fully lucid, he was trapped; imprisoned by unseen shackles.

There were no sounds as his mouth opened on silent screams. Nothing but eerie, unwelcomed, and heavy silence. The only sound was that of the hissing snakes.

But they too fell silent upon the voice that permeated from the hooded creature, falling prey to the power of a demon that was composed in the middle of a carnival tent.

"Welcome," the deep, inhuman voice said. It was guttural and unlike anything I'd ever heard.

Dead. Morbid. Grave, and filled with utter despair.

"I shall be with you in just a moment," it promised, refocusing on a blind and deaf Lily.

Gavin continued to fight, his features twisting in agony. Ethan spoke next, completely calm, and unafraid. "Beta," he said.

Gav halted immediately, unable to even look at his Alpha. "Be at ease," he cautioned, never taking his eyes off the creature. "Lily is still breathing."

The hooded figure turned its head slightly toward Ethan, and despite having no eyes, I felt its stare on us. "I do not kill those who wander into my mist," it said.

Was that supposed to be comforting?

"I am almost finished," it continued. "Her prophecy is nearly complete."

I had no idea what that meant, but it was a relief to witness Lily's eyes return to their original state and she inhaled a breath of air, as if she hadn't breathed in quite a while. Color returned to her face, and she stared in wide-eyed horror at the thing sitting calmy in front of her. Gavin was simultaneously released, and he ran to his female without hesitation, falling to his knees beside her chair to make sure she was unharmed. But Lily wasn't relieved. She wasn't even looking at her mate.

She was too busy gazing at the thing before her.

"Are you okay?" asked Gavin, trying to shake her, trying to bring her back to him and make sure she was alright.

"Is it true?" she asked the hooded creature.

She received no answer.

"Lily?" Gav asked in confusion, his eyes moving from her to the creature and back. "Lily?"

After a few moments, the color drained from her face once again and she turned to him, realizing that he was there for the first time. "Gavin?" she whispered, clearly baffled.

There was a pause.

"Yeah," said Gav, running his fingers over every square inch of her. "Yeah, I'm here."

She hitched out a low sob and collapsed into him, wrapping her arms around him so tightly, he stood up and she flowed with him in unison. They mimicked our pose, and I was too busy staring at the odd encounter to realize that this was just the beginning before Ethan's hard, snarling voice broke through my own haze of confusion and fear.

"No!" he spat, angling my body away from the scene. "No!"

I gasped, not having enough time to fully understand his pleads until it was too late. One minute, I was wrapped in Ethan's arms. The next, I was in the same chair Lily had previously occupied, tied to the same invisible strings.

Like magic, I moved through space and time in the blink of an eye. Too fast for my feeble human mind to comprehend. Icy air blanketed my body, and I began to breathe heavily, nearly hyperventilating with the force of evil emanating from the creature who was now so close, I could smell its rancid breath.

I tried to open my mouth on a scream, but nothing happened. I couldn't move. I was able to see everything around me...hear everything around me. But I was no longer in control of anything else. And it pained me to hear the desperation in Ethan's voice. The unhindered fear. His voice shook in blatant horror, and I realized that it was the first time it was laced with panic.

"Please," he pleaded from behind me. "I beg of you. Show mercy on her."

The creature took a moment to speak, its voice the same monotone level of detachment. "No harm will come to the human female."

Another pause. I assumed Ethan was weighing his options. When he spoke again, his voice cracked loudly, expressing a vulnerability I never knew he had. "She's with young," he said, nearly choking with emotion. "My young. Don't hurt them. Don't hurt her."