Apprehended Ch. 31

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I shook my head. "No." We went quiet again after that, lost to our own secret fates of consternation. Eventually, I couldn't bear the silence anymore and I decided to speak. "Are you okay?"

"As well as could be," she replied. "What about you?"

"Same," I said, watching the flames dance. The heat licked my skin, but I felt cold and misplaced. Like life had been adjusted and a new path was created. One that was preordained and still difficult to decipher. Almost like the blurred images on a screen, I could see what was going to happen, but I couldn't recognize key details. Details such as time, place and cause.

"So," she said, interrupting my scattered thoughts. "I wanted to apologize."

That caught me off guard. "What?"

She licked her lips and her gaze shifted to the flames. The light flickered across her eyes, and I saw how her prophecy haunted her. I wore the same expression when I was alone, lost to the inescapable clutches of providence. "I'm the one who insisted we go in," she whispered. It was difficult to hear her over the cackle of the blaze. "I'm the one who ran in, with no regard to anyone's opinion or safety."

I reached out to grab her hand in reassurance. "I'm no angel," I said. "I've made my fair share of bad decisions that put others in danger. We can't really alter what happened. There is nothing we can do. Just don't punish yourself for it," I finished, lightly patting her hand.

She nodded, once more trapped in her own head. We sat like that for quite some time, finding comfort in the knowledge that even though we did not share what we witnessed, we knew how it felt to bear the severity of it. There was consolation in carrying the pain together, rather than separately. Having another beside you in times of crisis offered less alienation.

But, trapped in the confines of our safe place, it seemed time continued around us, oblivious to our haven of abominable secrets. It couldn't last forever. I wished it could. I wished I could bask in the companiable quiet that Lily offered and understood without judgement. We were the same here; equal partners simply rowing along in treacherous, unstable waters.

"Annie? Lily?"

We broke free of our imprisoned minds simultaneously, realizing that we were no longer alone.

"Are you both okay?"

Lily didn't speak. I assumed she was still dazed and lost to her distractions. I completely understood. But he would not be ignored. Especially by me.

"We're fine, Ethan," I murmured, pulling my unfocused gaze from the fire. He was standing by the wide, wooden doors, casually leaning against a shelf of books. He wore a deep red hoodie, his legs covered in black jeans.

Barefoot, he made his way further into the library, stopping behind the couch to kneel and fold his arms across the backrest. "We were worried," he said softly, staring between us.

He didn't need to specify the plural. I knew he spoke of Gavin.

"We're fine," I repeated, sounding like a drone.

Ethan wasn't convinced, but simply accepted the answer and reached out to us, placing his large hands on our heads to smooth down our hair. Lily flinched involuntarily and blinked.

"Oh," she mumbled, turning to stare at Ethan. "Hey," she said, glancing at the doors. "Where's Gav?"

Ethan pointed a long finger to the floor. "Downstairs. He's waiting for you, love."

It took a moment for her to gather her bearings. When she was satisfied that she was cohesive and stable, she offered me a warm smile and rose to her feet, walking silently to the doors, where she exited like a ghostly phantom.

Ethan was staring at me.

"You've been in here awhile," he commented quietly.

I glanced at the watch on his wrist. "Oh. Um...what time is it?"

He didn't bother checking. "You've been up here for two hours."

Oh.

Well...okay.

He tucked a loose strand of hair behind my ear. "You barely touched your breakfast this morning. You didn't even eat lunch."

Food was the last thing on my mind.

"Do you think you can stomach dinner?" he asked.

My stomach didn't grumble at the mention of food. I had been queasy for days. I shrugged and played with a small thread that dangled from the fabric of a throw pillow on my lap. Garett had not only added desks to accommodate our previous studies into the supernatural, but comfort in the form of throw pillows, cushions, and blankets.

"I don't know," I muttered under my breath.

Ethan made a few suggestions. "Garrett can cook something up if you like?"

"No. That's alright."

"I can make you something. How about that?"

"I'm not really that hungry."

"You can't stay without eating, Luna. It's not healthy for you or the young."

I already knew that. "I'm not starving myself or anything, Ethan. I just don't have an appetite."

"Then we can go out. See what piques your interest."

I shook my head vehemently. "No. I don't want to leave."

He sighed and held up his hands in surrender. "Okay, we don't have to leave. But I'm not going to stand by and watch you starve." He got up and lightly rubbed his hands along the length of his thighs. "Come on," he said, offering me his hand.

I zeroed in on it. "Where are we going?" I was not inclined to leave the safety of the estate. Not after what took place in that haunting, evil tent.

"Downstairs," he said, calmly.

I hesitated. "We're not going outside, are we?"

"No. I respect your wishes. You don't want to leave, and we don't have to. We can stay home as long as you wish."

I appreciated that. Though I suspected he already knew why I refused to leave. He didn't push it, however. In fact, he hadn't questioned me over what I witnessed in that velvet deathtrap. He gave me my space and respected me enough to be there for everything else.

I supposed it would be easy to tell him what I saw. But I couldn't formulate the correct words to describe something that was blurry and indecipherable in its explication. There were many details I didn't know. I only knew final outcomes. Nothing else...but it was more than enough, and I didn't want to rehash any part of the prophecy, no matter how small. My dreams were already nightmares; filled with the dread of unframed fate.

"Gav is starting up a movie with Jared," he added, waiting for me to move.

I realized that I had been frozen on the couch for quite some time. Ethan had graciously let me decide. "Umm...yeah. That sounds fine." I got up slowly, feeling my joints and muscles ache from lack of use. They cracked and gave a few pulls, and I headed around the couch to grab Ethan's outstretched hand.

We walked out of the library and down the stairs in silence. I had nothing to say, and it seemed Ethan didn't either. I expected him to take us to the theatre, but we didn't go there. Instead, we moved to the game room, where an extra couch had been placed beside the room's original. Gavin sat with Lily on one couch, while Jared sat on the left side of the other, munching on snacks.

He turned when he heard us arrive. "Took you long enough," he said, chewing. He winked at me. "Hey, Luna. Come sit by me." He patted the couch, and I sat next to him with Ethan taking a seat on the opposite side.

"What did we decide to watch?" asked Ethan.

"A goodie," Gavin piped up. "The Breakfast Club."

Jared snorted.

"Hey!" shot Gav. "What the hell is that supposed to mean? It's an 80's classic."

They went on, speaking of the pros and cons of 80's films. I knew what they were doing. They were trying to distract Lily and I of our blatant internal turmoil. Though it didn't erase it, I was appreciative of the diversion. About halfway through the movie, snacks were replenished, and we were interrupted.

"Hey there. Watchin' a movie without me, Dune?"

I wanted to groan. Tony had been on the peripheral since he first arrived; lingering in the background and coming and going as he pleased. Ethan was a generous, hospitable man. But I could tell that Tony's intrusions were getting the best of him.

"Don't you have somewhere else to be?" he asked in irritation.

Tony smiled arrogantly. "Of course not. That's why I'm here." He lifted a bag of candy he held. "And I brought goodies."

That piqued some interest. "Whatchu got?" asked Gavin.

Conversation flowed again, and Tony named specific candies in his stash. Trades were made and Ethan didn't bother anymore. He was resigned to the interruption and Tony's consistent meddling. Eventually, the movie was resumed, and the males munched. I wasn't hungry. Lily didn't eat either. I could empathize.

"So," muttered Tony when the movie finished. He shot a look in Ethan's direction. "Is Kindra around?"

I bit back a smirk. He still had a thing for her. The feeling was not mutual. Not for Kindra, who explained her aversions relentlessly. It seemed Tony's desires were rendered unshaken.

Ethan sighed but didn't answer. I indulged and decided to reply. "We don't keep tabs on all clan members," I said. "She's free to do whatever."

"Yeah, yeah," he murmured in obvious disappointment. Still, his eyes roamed to the staircase, hoping that she would be descending and gracing him with her presence.

Jared deftly changed the subject. "Are we watching another movie or what?"

"That depends," said Ethan.

"On what?" asked Gavin.

"On whether or not our girls here want to."

All eyes fell on Lily and I. I blubbered a bit before I grumbled, "doesn't really matter." Which, it didn't. The movie was only background noise at this point.

"Of course, it does," said Ethan, rising to stand. He stretched and his joints cracked loudly. "But I want real food first."

Gavin and Jared perked up. "Oh yeah," agreed Gav. "Like...steak or...burgers."

"Lasagna," Jared added.

"What do you want?" Ethan asked me.

It took a moment to realize that he was going to make sure I ate, no matter what. I shrugged, undecided. "I don't know...fries?"

Everyone paused.

"Fries?" said Ethan. "Just fries? Nothing else?"

I didn't even want that. In fact, it was the first thing that popped out of my mouth. He should be grateful that I even suggested it; that I was caving into his need to feed me. If I had my way, I would've went without a meal for the next three...possibly even six days. God knew my stomach was too troubled to fathom the idea of a full course.

Lily was in the same state, in her own world of blissful cloudiness and lack of appetite. She muttered to Gavin briefly a food I couldn't hear. I was grateful when Tony stayed behind, while Jared, Gavin and Ethan made a trip to the kitchen to grab grub.

It was thickly silent in their absence. Tony noticed.

"So," he said, rubbing his hands across his thick thighs. "You want to tell me somethin' I'm missin' here?"

I turned to stare at him. "Hm?"

He eyed me peculiarly. "Why are you two acting so..." he struggled a moment to find the correct word, "weird?"

That was an apt term. I didn't really know how to answer his question...where to begin...if I should begin.

Thankfully, I didn't have to reply. Lily did it for me, breaking out of her haziness. I also didn't expect her to be so blunt, heading straight to the point. "We saw something we weren't meant to see. A future we didn't want to witness."

There was a pause. Then Tony said, "like a fortune?"

"Yes," said Lily. "An Oracle."

I observed Tony's reaction, waiting for confusion. Perhaps even mirth. What I didn't expect was recognition.

"Oh," he said, his brows shooting up. "I've heard of those. My grandmother even experienced one in her lifetime."

I swear I gaped. Lily mimicked my pose, frozen in the same state of shock. "Wait," I said, moving to sit at the lip of the couch. "Your grandmother saw an Oracle?"

He nodded tersely. "Yup. Nasty little things. She used to tell me the same bedtime story when I was a little boy. Course,' my pa wasn't too fond of that. Used to tell her they gave me nightmares."

"Did you?" asked Lily, completely absorbed.

Tony shrugged, causing the muscles underneath his white tee to contract. "I don't know. Don't really remember that part. I only remember what she told me."

I licked my dry, trembling lips. "What did she tell you?"

He shifted a bit on the plush chair, suddenly looking uncomfortable. "Well...she used to say the same thing. Didn't really change. It was...disturbing." He glanced at me. "You sure you want to know?"

I definitely did. "Please."

He hesitated, his gaze shifting to the kitchen, no doubt making sure Gavin, Ethan and Jared were still preoccupied. When he was certain they weren't going to come waltzing back in, he sat up and inched closer to us on the couch, lowering his voice to tell us the story:

"I suppose your males didn't really tell you too much about how my family plays into the supernatural?"

We both shook our heads.

"Okay. Well, we weren't only connected through means of good ol' fashioned law. My family comes from a line of witches and warlocks." He waited a beat, letting us absorb this.

It wasn't shocking. Not anymore. Not after what Lily and I witnessed.

He went on. "My grandma was a powerful one, I'll tell ya. Used to dabble in conjuring, spells, potions, and the like. My pa didn't really like that. You see, he was normal. Well...as normal as you can get. He became a cop as an aversion to what his ma was. And to get away from the weird shit he was raised in. But me? You see, my grandma was everythin' to me. She used to visit sometimes when my pa felt gracious enough to let her by. At night, she fancied tuckin' me in. That's when she told me stories. One in particular stood out above all else, though. It was the fable of the Oracle. A creature so powerful and evil, she was never the same after she saw it, I'll tell ya."

His eyes strayed, looking far off, as if he were not only remembering the story, but reliving it. "Now, my pa was dandy and fine when it came to Ethan. Loved that male more than his own mother. Sole exception. But grandma Roe's stories freaked a lot of people out. Especially that one. You see, when she was real young, she stumbled upon somethin' with a group of her supernatural friends. Somethin' dark in the woods that used to scare off the locals."

His voice dropped another octave. "It was isolated, living off what things like that are cursed and forced to-the living. It was a future-teller, hidin' out in an ol', abandoned mine shaft. Folks usually didn't linger round there. Cept' my grandma knew somethin' felt different bout that place...somethin' otherworldly. Naturally, she followed it and stumbled upon that dark, desolate shaft. Course', her friends fled the minute they saw the thing ghostin' out. But grandma Roe," he said, clucking his tongue, "she was fierce. Unafraid. She stood her ground as it came at her. Didn't even flinch. The thing was huge too. Had to be nearly eight feet in length. Cloak billowing and face obscured by a darkness so thick, my grandma said she felt it in her bones. Now, despite her fearlessness, she wasn't as strong as somethin' as that. She told me that that particular type of evil was not meant for this world...this plane of existence. And its powers knew no bounds. You see, it showed her things. Things people like us-witch, warlock, human, and wolf alike-are not meant to see."

I interjected. "Wait. I thought they couldn't affect the supernatural."

He nodded once. "Grandma Roe said that too. But she also said that-despite being a witch-she leaned more toward the human side. She was not immortal. She was flesh and bone, capable of being wounded and dyin' like the rest of us normal folk. Which was why the damn thing fed off her. The things it showed her..." he blew out a long breath and leaned away, nearing the end of his tale, "let's just say that the fear you feel is its fuel. The things you saw were its sustainability."

That made sense. No matter how morose, it was understandable. Something that evil could only be explained by means of morbidity.

Tony stared between us. "I've seen that look before," he added, glumly. "My grandma Roe wore it all the time." He pointed towards the kitchen area. "I don't suppose you ladies told your mates what you saw, did ya?"

We both shook our heads in silence, unable to find our voice after hearing Tony's horrifying story.

"I get it," he said, folding his hands together. "But maybe talkin' bout it will help."

"With whom?" asked Lily. "Who can we tell? It's not that easy."

"You know how Ethan is," I added lowly, afraid that he would be able to hear every word. "Something like that would only cause them to worry."

"I know that," said Tony. "I'm not suggestin' you tell em' exactly what you saw. I'm only suggestin' you simply talk bout the feelings. My grandma didn't tell me what she witnessed. Only the surface; the cover to the pages of her macabre encounter."

I considered that option. "Will it help?" I asked. Then I thought about his grandmother. "Did it help Roe?"

He blew out another long breath and crossed a leg over his thigh. "It did some. Pa never liked her talkin' bout it. But I think it helped her...to...you know...cope. Kind of like...acknowledging it and airin' it out."

The room fell silent once more and I became pensive. Could I speak about it with Ethan, but willingly omit the future I was cursed to endure? Would it truly help relieve the heavy burden of such fates?

I didn't think so...

But it didn't hurt to try.

"What'd we miss?" asked Jared, staring between the three of us as we brooded.

If only he knew.

***

I didn't talk to Ethan about the horrors I witnessed in that tent. I wanted to, but I couldn't find the time. He had been busy for nearly a week, being cautious over supernatural business that I honestly didn't want any part of. I was content on the sidelines. Of course, I listened to his concerns and answered questions when asked. But that was it.

Lily and I spent time together. It was filled with more contemplative silence that took place in the library and I was okay with that. There was a sense of not only understanding when I was with her, but a calmness in the quiet.

Too bad it didn't last.

"So," said Tony, interrupting our peace on the couch by the fireplace. "Michael told me I'd find you two here and I thought I'd stop by for a visit before I took off."

"You're leaving?" I asked.

"Sure thing, cupcake. Got lots to do bein' Sherriff and all. Been neglectin' my duties."

Strangely, I didn't want him to go. There was a companionable understanding and easiness with Tony; a human living in similar circumstances who could empathize. "Did something happen in town?" I asked.

He took a seat in one of the plush chairs, placing his coat across his lap and a duffel by his feet on the rug. "There's always work for a law man," he said, tossing a wink in our direction. "And I already got what I came here for."

I remembered. He originally had questions for Ethan concerning the state of Jerry. Once he received answers and was satisfied, he stuck around, and I sort grew used to him around the house. "Do you have to go? Can you stay a little while longer?"

He smiled broadly. "I wish I could, darlin' but duty calls."

That disappointed me.

He noticed. "Don't worry there, sunshine. I'll be back before ya know it."

I nodded solemnly. "Okay."

Lily spoke up. "Do you think you can come back on the weekend?"

Tony paused, cocking a brow. He hadn't expected the same gloomy reaction from her. It took him by surprise. "Depends on whatcha need me for."

Lily shrugged. "Well, I was sort of hoping that you knew other things."

"Other things?" said Tony. "Like what?"

I knew where she was going with her inquiry. She didn't need to tell me. I was a little disappointed that I didn't think of it myself.

"About the supernatural," she said, her gaze drifting to the flames. "I mean...you knew all that stuff about your grandmother. And I was sort of hoping you'd know more."