Arcadia Remember Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Beck and her father glared at one another, his all deep red suit only held black in the buttons and epaulets. It fit him well but his age was becoming more and more evident. She couldn't remember the last time he smiled at her, and the thought had her wishing she could be better. The others took her interruption in stride and continued bickering with her presence as if she wasn't there at all.

Benji, with his beautiful dreads and shining green eyes was the only one who gave the princess a generous nod before continuing, "The parts I am asking for are essential and we cannot wait another bunkering to get them." He was excellent at keeping his composure but she could feel the helplessness rolling off of him in waves. He wore an all blue jumpsuit with only a green collar, it was wrinkled, faded, ripped in several places, and there were scuffs, marks of dirt, and who knows what else all over it. Being a Green & Blue, she knew his efforts to keep their home afloat were always overlooked by others. His eyes were bright but it didn't conceal the wrinkles starting to outline them. He was less than a decade younger than her father but you wouldn't be able to tell by comparing their looks. "If there is a leak in either of these compartments," he pointed on the large blueprint they were gathered around, "and the bulkhead doors don't seal all the way, we're adrift."

Corus seemed unphased by the scenario, disagreeing as if he was talking to a child, "Preposterous, the last time any of the compartments below the fifth deck had to be sealed was over a decade ago," he always spoke in a quick and slightly unnerving fashion. "And it was for a fire that was contained within four minutes and twenty three seconds, not causing damage to any other compartment. Anything larger that you are suggesting could happen is more unlikely than a Black & Blue becoming royalty," his menacing smile reached his eyes all too easily. His attire was as put together as his thoughts, the pressed blue pants with a crisp down the legs, and his buttoned pink shirt rolled up at the cuffs and his tie symmetrical and blue. His hair was also slicked back on top and short on the sides. So delicate each hair seemed to bow to his commanded placement. His face was smooth in contrast to his older company, he was a few years older than Beck.

Lehane finally took a large breath, his blonde hair long enough to be in a tie loosely at his neck, falling over his dark purple collared polo, which was neatly tucked into his green jeans, showing off his purple belt. He was dressed the most casual of all the men, but he was always the numbers guy. "If we do what Benji is proposing, we will be compromising the rations for Black & Blues by 4.3% which would leave 31 people with half a meal for two weeks if nothing goes to waste." His calculations didn't even give his statement a pause. Even though he was the youngest of the men in her father's council, the others always showed him similar respect to each other. He was almost the same age as Beck which made the lack of respect the same men had towards her suddenly demeaning.

All three men looked to Went now, she could see the wheels turning in her father's eyes, decisions like this happened everyday on the ship, and soon she would be the one making those very decisions. He glanced at her, "Beck, what would you do?" She was a little taken aback at his gesture. They had always talked in confidence about the decisions she would make when she was in charge but he was being bold asking for her voice in front of his circle of mates.

She uncrossed her arms, stood a little taller and licked her lips, "Benji, will she stay afloat without the seals for the bulkheads?" He seemed to stammer slightly not used to discussing such things with her directly.

"Aye, she'll still float," he looked at the other men before continuing, "without seals, the whole thing could flop out in a matter of hours." Lehane and Corus looked like they were trying to convince a toddler of something as they scoffed condescendingly. His posture slouched and she could have sworn he took a step back slowly. She glanced at her father trying to gain an insight into what he wanted her to say. He was still and unreadable.

"We're gonna need a more pressing maintenance request to deny Black & Blues rations," she stated firmly. Benji looked down and made a slight bow. It hurt her to see someone she trusted so much be hurt from a decision but this is what she was born for.

"There you have it gentlemen, please excuse us," her father's concise end to the meeting was a welcome to her ears. They all made large bows and uttered, "Your majesty," as they made their way to the door, Corus, stopping to interrupt Damilla and usher him out as well. Damilla clumsily grabbing all his papers and guitar all the while singing. Victus was still outside the door, giving her and her father a small nod as he closed the door behind the parting men.

"Renner had some choice words about you today," her father wasted no time. She rolled her eyes and once more went for the coffee in the corner of the room. She dreaded the silence that followed as she made herself a cup and returned to the table taking a seat without being asked. Her father seemed more distant than she had ever remembered him looking.

"There are rumors of mutiny, Beck. Mutiny! On my ship!" he made no move to conceal his anger.

"Renner said the same," she added, taking small sips of the warm coffee finally.

"Yes," he sighed heavily sitting in the chair at the head of the table, "I fear I have been too generous in my ruling. Perhaps my compassion has been deeply misplaced in the lower mangles." The silence encompassed them both once more. Beck stirred her coffee and sipped once more.

"If there really is a mutiny brewing then I need evidence, and I need it from someone I know I can trust. A mutiny cannot take place from one mangle alone. There would be people in our circle that are against us, working to put the pieces in place." He sighed and placed his hands in each other in front of him, "Beck, I see parts of your mother in you, I see parts of me in you, and I see the leader in you I know you can be. But you have to start taking this duty, this life seriously. You were born to rule. But I fear my compassion and love for you as my daughter has clouded your judgement. If another family is trying to take the wheel, there is no one I trust more than you. You must see to these rumors and come back to me with what you find out."

Beck's mouth dropped open, "Me? How would I even-" her father raised his hand to silence her. The motion stern and heart wrenching.

"We must discover the truth behind the rumors. Degan's family may be part of the plot." He looked at her with no expression on his face. The loss there pained her heart.

"Degan's family?" she laughed a little nervously, "He couldn't possibly-" her father raised his hand once more. She ground her teeth together again, biting her lip, and taking another sip of her coffee to keep her anger from showing in her hands.

"Another Red & Black must be involved. Without question. Degan's parents are ambitious and he is surpassing everyone in lessons, he is well liked and respected by those he would have to work with, which is more than I can say about you." The disappointment in his face brought tears to her eyes, she couldn't hold them fully back wiping at her face with her henley. She knew what he was saying was true but to hear it from his mouth was heartbreaking.

"This assignment will be good for you," he tried to smile but it turned into a grimace. "I think you need a change of scenery to grow any further."

She pushed the coffee away and sat back abruptly, the tears falling freely now, "What do you mean a change of scenery? You're not gonna put me with the walkers are you? How could-"

He raised his hand once more, "No," he couldn't look her in the eyes, "You are to go undercover as a Black & Blue at the next fallout, spend time with them, find the perpetrator, find the evidence, and bring it to me. This is of great importance, no one will know where you are, no one can know what you are doing. There is only one other person I trust outside of us, I will have him assist you. But it must be in complete secrecy. If anyone were to find out you were a Black & Blue, they would surely mutiny and kill us both. Only you are the rightful heir to the helm, but until we find the ones responsible, both of our lives are at risk. I will tell everyone that you are spending time with the walkers as punishment for failures of your education."

It was hard to hear what her father was saying to her now, her ears were pounding, her heart was beating in two. She wasn't trained for something like this. She had no skills that would help her be a spy, let alone investigate a mutiny. Surely someone would recognize her, she was after all the heir. Her father's movements took her out of her thoughts.

He stood and offered her his hand to shake as if this was a deal they had struck together, she stood slowly, tears still falling down her face, she placed her hand in his and neither could bear to look at one another. She moved to leave and accept her punishment but before she got to the door her father had one last thing to say, "Beck, I hope this will change you into the leader I have raised you to be, there are some things you can only see with the eyes." she stood in place for a moment wiped her eyes once more, then walked through the door only somewhat composed.

Victus closed the door behind her, "My lady," he spoke. His gaze softened completely when he saw her face, "Is there," he hesitated slightly swallowing, "Is there something I can assist you with my lady?" She closed her eyes and wiped at them once more before looking at him again, "No Victus, thanks you." She tried to give him a small smile. He bowed once more, "my lady."

"Victus, please come speak with me a moment," she heard her father command him.

She started the walk back to her room slowly and in somewhat of a daze. She didn't notice any of the people who stopped to bow in her path, using all of her energy to keep the tears from falling just a little bit longer. She made it back to her room, closed the door behind her and fell into a heap on the floor, in the safety of her room, she let all the tears flow freely.

Em awoke to the buzzer that directed her every moment of existence. She rolled her eyes and rubbed them hastily taking in a deep breath swinging her legs off her top bunk and hopping down in a fluid motion. She was usually the first of her bunkmates to awake and moved to make sure Rollow started getting ready for their hold. She tickled Rollow waking the girl with a smile, "Em!" Rollow laughed out loud. At ten years old, her laugh was contagious to anyone who could hear it. Em ruffled Rollow's curly black hair, "Come on sunshine time to get up." She set out Rollow's shoes and grabbed hers as well.

Atale had the top bunk adjacent to Em's but she was less graceful in her dismount. She stumbled down and knocked over Em as she tried to put her shoes on. They tumbled to the floor together and started laughing. They weren't blood sisters, but they were sisters, they were only a few months apart in age as well, both of them turning twenty soon. Atale grabbed Em in a quick hug on the ground before she got up and turned to the bunk that was under hers.

"Gen honey, it is time again," she stroked Gen's cheek. The wrinkles there growing with each day complimented by her silver thin hair that was always tied up even when she slept. Gen gave her a small smile and slowly sat up, her movements mirroring her age.

"Em I can't tie my shoes, can you help me?" Rollow asked.

"Of course baby," Em leaned over, "You just have to practice, ready, loop, swoop, and pull." She watched as Rollow tried on the other shoe slowly, but surely.

"See I knew you could do it," Em complimented ruffling Rollow's hair.

"Em!" Rollow shouted back in laughter.

Atale got her shoes on as quickly as Em did, the two of them matching each other like twins. They both stood up at the same time and helped Rollow up together. They both looked back at Gen who always needed help getting her shoes on and off, her back rigid from their daily labors.

"I'll get her," Em said and hugged Rollow and Atale before they walked out the door. "Black & Blue, thick and through," Atale added. Em moved to get in front of Gen and gingerly slid her worn black shoes over her feet tying them loosely, "Is that too tight?" she asked like she did every time.

"No dear, just perfect," she said quietly. She held out an arm to Gen who looped hers through it. They slowly walked out the door arm in arm as Em patted Gen's arm though hers. They arrived at the mess hall, most of them were regularly scheduled for some kind of kitchen or cleaning duty for their hold.

"Here you are my lady," Em bowed to Gen after they reached her workstation.

"Your mother would be so proud of you honey," Gen said with a huge smile that went all the way to her eyes.

"Thank you," Em uttered out, walking off to her workstation before her emotions could show. Her mother had died from disease a few months ago, but the wound was still fresh. Even the happy memories of her mother still hurt. She shook it off and grabbed the apron that hung by the sinks which were already full of dishes for her to clean. It was still wet from the previous day, as usual, but the extra barrier helped. She pulled her long brown hair up into a loose braid although some pieces would still hang over her eyes as she worked. The hold went on just as any other hold, slow, boring, and repetitive.

"Thanks," she grimaced a small smile to the guy who dropped more dirty dishes to her pile.

"Twenty-one," he smiled greatly. "You and Atale gonna dance this whole fallout again?" he asked, still smiling.

"Twenty and three quarters!" she chided back, "Probably, what else is there to do?"

"I can't wait to see what Damilla has this time, he never ceases to amaze does he?" he was still grinning ear to ear. Crossing his arms over his chest casually, his biceps pulling at the tight blue t-shirt he always wore.

"I don't know, that opener, last fallout, was pretty good too," she took some dishes from the dirty pile and continued working. He took a step closer to her and she turned to face him unsure of his closeness but she didn't back down.

"I've got a new batch that I've had going for about three weeks now that will make all of the Silver & Golds seem like the best, until you forget them anyway," he laughed cockily. His dirty blonde short hair seemed to always look like he styled it in a messy way but she couldn't be sure.

"I'll keep that in mind," she thought for a second what his name was, "Henry."

"You used to be my number one customer, I'll give you a steep discount for old time's sake," his smile was unnerving and sent shivers down her back.

"That was a long time ago Henry," she said a little more forcefully that she anticipated through tight teeth. She didn't wanna go down that road again, ever.

"You know where to find me babe," he shrugged easily, still smiling.

He walked away tall and she closed her eyes, gripping the sink to release some anger. She pursed her lips and looked around, hoping no one noticed their exchange. Her eyes locked with Atale's and her heart sank. Atale's face was a mixture of anger and sadness as she mopped some yards away.

"Shit," Em muttered under her breath. She went back to her dishes and tried to forget Henry altogether. A bell rang signalling their mealtime, Em lifted her head to the ceiling and huffed out an exhausted breath, "Finally."

All the Black & Blues sauntered at different speeds towards the mess line, trays in hand, empty bellies rumbling. Em took a place in line and it wasn't long before Atale wound up next to her gripping her arm to force a look and giving her the gaze of concern. Em looked at Atale and regret bubbled up to the surface.

"Relax, I didn't do anything," Em said, trying to calm the fire she saw behind Atale's eyes. Atale relaxed her grip and stroked Em's forearm, taking a deep breath.

"I know," she slowly said. They both added stuff to their trays as the line continued moving.

"Don't I get a little more credit than that?" Em asked earnestly. She hoped Atale trusted her more than that.

"I'm just worried is all. I know you, and you know me. I love you, and I will pull you out of whatever hole you dig yourself into," she accepted the plop of goo on her tray as we continued moving with the line, "But, I would really, really, rather not, dig you out of that hole again." she bit her lip, but I knew she wouldn't hold whatever she wanted to say in for long. "I'm not sure Gen or Rollow could handle being a spectator to that again," she gave me a soft loving smile.

"I know," I concluded. We got everything offered to eat and went to sit at a table further from the line trying to get as much privacy as the small mess hall would allow with crowded table tops. We both started shoving the food in our mouths greedily. None of it ever tasted much like anything but it was all we got.

"You know it was just because I couldn't handle her dying and you know it," I offered.

"I know, that's why I was there, taking care of Rollow and Gen, taking care of you. Getting you to your holds on time, picking up your slack, covering for you when you were too sick, cleaning up after you, holding you through the shivers,cramming us both in the small bunk together so you would sleep, and threatening him with castration in between all that," she laughed a bit at her last words.

"I'm sorry," I offered toying with a piece of food.

"I know," she smiled heartily, "Black & Blue thick and through."

"Twenty and a half!" I snarked back with a smile. "Next time you should threaten to leave him with the walkers." I laughed.

"You know that's just a bunk story right?" she glared at me. "We're the last ones alive," she gestured to the room around us.

"Lucky us," I shrugged out with a heavy sigh.

The rest of the day passed much like every other day more dishes, more dishes, more dishes, and more dishes. The sweat and hot water left my face dripping wet, trickling down my nose. If I wiped at it all day my nose would be raw before bed. I blew some hair off my face and inspected my fingertips. My fingerprints were outlined with muck and grime that would last for days no matter how hot the water was or how hard I scrubbed. It was useless. Finally the last bell rang out and a lot of people shouted in excitement. Another day down, another day closer to fallout. Everyone started making their way back to their bunks, some trotting off to the cold showers, some slower than others, some running with excitement.

When I got back to my room, I was the first one there. I shoved off my shoes and looked at myself in the small aluminum chunk stuck to the wall. It wasn't a mirror but it was the best we had. I pulled my hair out and ran my fingers through it. My face was still red from the heat of the hot dish water. I used to think I looked pretty, and then my mother died. The dark circles took refuge under my eyes for months, and then Henry's concoctions had me looking crazed and distant. Sometimes it was hard to look at my eyes, they were my mother's eyes. I took a deep breath and gripped the sink. There was only a small part of me that wanted to take Henry up on his offer, but a part nonetheless.

Atale burst through the door with Rollow in her arms crying hysterically. I immediately reached for them, "What's going on?! Are you ok Rollow?"

"They took her, they took Gen away," she got out between sobs. I pierced my eyes to Atale.

"She collapsed during her hold and Yellow & Reds took her away," she said, barely holding her own tears back.