Arcana's Path Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

An asshole who could obviously read her mind, and was so easy to distract from the giant dragon landing behind him.

Kitty grinned as the man released her and spun around.

"You fucking ass, Raz!"

Kitty rolled her jaw as she found she could breathe. Couldn't move, but could breathe. She spat onto the ground derisively. Best she could do, all things considered.

"Eat him!" Arcana yelled, and then two small black boots moved into Kitty's view.

She laughed and coughed, "Radical. You've got divine timing, babe."

"Do you ever take a single fucking thing seriously!?" Arcana screamed angrily and grabbed her by the shirt to drag her upright, glaring at her. "What did you do to antagonise him?"

"Holy shit, your dragon is actually eating him. Kinda. Holding him in its mouth?"

"Kitty!"

She blinked, "Mostly existin' I think. Seemed like a racist dick. How many times did you sleep with him?"

"Technically we're not different races." Arcana said tiredly, and glared over at him, "But even he needs more of a reason than just that. I want to see you swallow that asshole!"

Kitty blinked and wished she could look away, "I did not want to see that. I think he maybe got pissed that I wasn't shitting myself. One of those asses that enjoys beatin' on the little guys, but loses their temper when the little guy don't start cryin'. Again, how many times?"

"Healing you is going to be painful." Arcana threatened her, "So, I suggest that you don't keep bringing Raz up."

She smiled, "I love that crazy look in your eye. Probably bad timing, what with needing a full body cast, but I'm sorry for being a total bitch this morning."

The woman sighed and laid her down against a wall gently, before pulling out her wand. Arcana walked away, speaking to herself or probably someone else. Did magic people not use phones?

"So, my mum is on her way to heal you." She said sitting down beside her and tossing some candy at her dragon, "When I said it was going to hurt, I did mean it. Every little twinge you would have felt over the next couple of years shoved into a single moment with an extra dosing of fuck you because magic is mean."

"So you and the asshole, it was serious, then? You still seem a bit sore about it."

Arcana grabbed her ear and twisted, "Last warning, Kitty. I am crazy about you, really. I will dump your ass and leave you here in Japan without a passport if you keep talking about him."

"Is it not fair? He broke me to shit."

She shrugged, "It isn't fair. Still going to stick by my ultimatum. Clear?"

"That was a laxative you gave the dragon, wasn't it?" Kitty felt her stomach turn, "Can you turn my head so I don't have to watch the non-existent ex burst free of a dragon's rosebud?"

Arcana turned her head slightly. She let out a long sigh and shrugged, "Sorry. I'm... Rattled. I was hoping that he and I would never ever cross paths ever again. Especially not when I have to go begging to mum for anything."

Purple sparkles popped for a moment before the witch in black appeared. The woman put a hand on her hip, "What is... I thought you liked this peasant, Arcana. Why is she broken?"

The dragon howled in pain as it pushed.

"Is that Rasputin?"

Arcana shrugged, "All caught up? I... Would you please heal my girlfriend, mum? Please?"

The witch crouched and glared at Kitty, and sighed. "No, but yes. I will heal some of the damage. I'm not wasting the mana on her for a full healing."

"Mother!" Arcana protested, "You have literally infinite mana reserves! You're a goddess."

She shrugged, "Yes, but I dislike this particular mundane. And you have been extremely cruel to someone else that I do like. Exceptionally cruel to force one of the most powerful wizards of all time through the digestive tract of a dragon."

"He hurt her. It made me mad."

The mother shrugged, "I think we established that. I will assist your... Toy."

Kitty laughed, "Still can't admit that your daughter bends, can you? What the hell is wrong with you? At least she loves someone. Ya her mum. Can't you be there for her, for once?"

"Kitty! Shuddup." Arcana growled, "You are not getting involved in this. Ever."

Before she could say anything Astraea grabbed her shoulders, and Kitty blacked out as the pain smacked her between the eyes with a wrecking ball.

---

The cafe was bustling when an ash-smudged Violet appeared in the back kitchen, scrubbing her arms and face in one of the sinks. "How we doing, Tim?"

Her line cook breathed a sigh of relief, "Three orders behind, twenty an hour and ramping up."

"You going soft on me?" Violet glared over at him, and every member of staff were suddenly far more lively. They all knew that she could be a hard ass if it was required.

She stepped over to the tickets, "Finn, Tim, step off the cakes. Double down on prep with Kim. I'll handle them."

Which she did.

Tim was a decent enough cook, but he wasn't really a chef. When it came to prep work he was slow and deliberate. Violet on the other hand had been classically trained in Paris, and her skills hadn't dulled a single iota since she was working the backend of one of the more well known patisseries.

She was a perfectionist, but she was also fast. She didn't need her magic to take any shortcuts, either. That was a trick she saved for the days when they were shorthanded.

Technically, she shouldn't be working at all. The cafe might stay open late, but she usually headed home around five. Even the bristling pace of this home couldn't distract her from the pain she was feeling over her latest failure.

The letter she'd left for Rin was only mostly an apology. There was also an invite to the cafe if she ever wanted to see the witch again, and a present. One of her slices to eat, of course, but also a painting of the two of them on the couch. Violet reading at one end, and Rin curled up and asleep at the other.

Painting was another of Violet's hobbies. A distraction from her fate.

She'd never tried to make what Rin and she had more than one person taking care of another, and she wouldn't. Couldn't.

Violet finished placing the cakes into the oven, before stepping outside. She took a deep breath and dabbed at her nose with her handkerchief, turning the white material a deep red.

"You alright, chef?"

She winced, "Just the usual, Tim."

"You've caught us up. Things should wind down soon." He hinted.

Violet looked up at the stars, feeling a sense of melancholy passing over her, "Not long now."

"Violet?"

She shook her head, "Don't worry about it. I'm fine. Really."

"So... You're just going to continue lying to us?"

Violet laughed, "Oh, stop worrying. I'm fine. My sister should be here in a week so she can start taking over. Don't let her sweet talk you, she can be meaner than I am."

Tim frowned, "I'm worried about you, not my job. You're sick, chef. That's all any of us know. You don't have to go through this on your own."

"If only..." Her face fell, knowing she'd never get him to understand in time. "I'm not really sick, Tim. It's far more complicated than that. It's... I disappear and reappear, right?"

"I... Have seen some weird things. That I can't explain." He shrugged, "You're still you."

"I'm a witch." She confessed and shrugged, "Doesn't matter if you believe me or not. But what's happening to me is a witch thing. No doctor can help, but they try. But this thing... It's personal. Deeply. Not something I want to talk about with anyone."

"A witch." He laughed, "A witch, trained in Paris, running a cafe. As funny as when you first told me."

"What's funny about that?" She glared at him.

Tim shrugged, "Dunno. But it is."

Violet rolled her eyes, "Back inside, ya lazy lout."

"Yes, chef!"

She turned her gaze back to the stars.

Someone to share the burden with? She could never do that to someone she cared about. There was nothing that anyone could do about it, so what would be the point?

All she could do was try and smile until her last.

Try and forget what she had done.

---

Arcana hugged the passed out woman gently, stroking her hair and biting her lip as she cried. She'd been trying so hard to be tough and not let Kitty in on why she was so afraid that it was all sort of spilling to the surface now.

Astraea tapped her foot, looking at the halfway emerged wizard, "That was going too far, daughter. He had every right to kill that little mundane of yours."

"No, he didn't." Arcana said stubbornly, "I never agreed to it. I am never going to agree to it. I ran away from you, and him, and everything your outdated tradition demands. I'm not interested in him. I was never interested in him. She's... Something else. And its your fault she got hurt."

Her mother looked at her in surprise, "You actually do love this strange and useless creature, don't you? Did it have to be a woman, daughter? Could you not have chosen something less... Shameful?"

"Holy shit, mum." Arcana shook her head, "You... I am trying not to hate you. Really. But I had no idea you were such a homophobe. Its not like I expected to fall for a girl. You really can't even be a little happy for me?"

Astraea raised an eyebrow, "It is nothing to do with her being a woman. It is that she is just a woman. She's not a witch, she is not a goddess. Have you forgotten my own string of lovers?"

"Yes. Dead, buried, and cursed to never resurrect that memory." Arcana recoiled, "Do you have the least idea how awkward it was to have to do an exam on people you'd slept with in school? Did you have to make all of them into heroes?"

The witch sighed and sat down on a chair that appeared out of nowhere, "I am concerned for you, my precious daughter. I see nothing in this woman. I have tried. It seems to me that society would be better off if she curled up in an alley and died."

"I hate you." Arcana pouted, looking down at her, "She's... Important. I don't care what you or anyone else thinks."

"I cannot support you in this. However, I also cannot ignore that she is the one you have chosen." Astraea sighed heavily, "How far into this experiment are you? May I assume that a wedding is a possibility?"

She went red and stared, "Uh... We're about at three days, mum. So, no. No way am I even ready to start talking about that!"

"I beg your pardon?" The witch stared at her, "I... Feel uncomfortable even broaching the subject, daughter. However, I find it somewhat incomprehensible that someone I raised would have -"

"No!" Arcana cut her off. "That is the last time you and I ever discuss sex. Ever. I've had one demon-infused night where she did nothing even though she could have, one date where... It was a date. And one tired night after fighting with the god of dragons. We done here?"

Astraea sighed, "She is... Brave."

"Huh." Arcana smiled slowly as she saw her mother struggling to stop picking a fight and say something good about her girlfriend.

There was a horrible schlooping sound as Raz finally cleared out. Right before the dragon let out a pained whine, a string of cuss words, and slinked off to get away from the madwoman that had made it do what it had just done.

The wizard stood up slowly, glared at her, and then ripped a hole in reality and left without a word.

Astraea laughed, "I'm afraid he does not believe this is over."

"Why did you bring up weddings before?" Arcana pouted, "Now I'm just going to be remembering the hell you set up with him even more around her. I can't even tell Kitty why I hate him. Hurts too much."

Astraea sighed heavily and patted her on the head like she was still a little girl, "Until such time as one takes place, he will be determined to get what he was promised. I am not certain how this mundane will feel about years of being attacked."

"That it's a Tuesday?" Arcana offered sheepishly.

The witch's jaw clicked angrily. "This is not a laughing matter, daughter. You gave up the career I tried to arrange for you. You threw aside a future with Rasputin. What future do you see with this insect? What future does the only child of the goddess Astraea foresee?"

"One where I'm going to eat dinner tomorrow night." Arcana said stubbornly, "Why do I have to care beyond that, mum? I'm happy. I know taking care of a bunch of ungrateful lizards doesn't live up to your standards, but it makes me happy. So does Kitty."

"You are the sole child of a goddess."

She shrugged, looking angry and sad.

Astraea shook her head, "It would be best to come to terms with it, daughter. I was given less choice in the matter than yourself. You were born to greater things."

"Born maybe." Arcana sighed, "But, give up, mum. You thought cutting me off from your mana would have me crawling back. You expected me to crash and burn the moment I had to take responsibility for keeping myself in one piece. Turns out, I can do this."

The witch shook her head, "No. I never expected you to fail, my Arcana. I am... Proud of what you have accomplished. It is true, I did not expect to be. I would have gone to war against Marduk, a new war of magic that would have scourged this world. You simply spoke to him."

"Oh, that reminds me." She perked up, "Marduk told me to threaten you. I don't really remember the words, but I think you understand the gist of it."

Astraea chuckled softly, "Ah, you have not changed. Stubborn child."

"Manipulative witch."

Kitty stirred, "Loud ass bitches. Now where's that shitstain covered in mythic shit? I owe him one. Or six."

Arcana grabbed her by the ear fiercely, "What was that?"

The woman knocked her hand aside and sat up slowly and went to stretch before wincing. "Ow. Like, shit. Next time, remind me to step in front of a bus. It'll hurt less."

"It actually would." Arcana giggled, and sighed, "Fine. I probably owe you a thankyou for healing her, mum. So... I guess... Thanks. Now can you go be somewhere else?"

The witch glared at her, "Of all the ungrateful little things in the world. My daughter appears to be -"

"She wants to make out with me. Wanna watch?" Kitty interrupted.

Purple sparkles filled the air for a moment, leaving Arcana coughing and waving her hand. She smiled slowly at her girlfriend, and took a deep breath. "So... I need to apologise as well. I might have been upset with you, as well."

"Feelin' used?" Kitty asked tentatively.

Arcana raised an eyebrow, "Um... No? Pissed. Angry at you for freaking out. But you didn't even know magic existed three days ago so -"

"I feel like I used you. Usin' you. For magic and dragons and shit." Kitty said quickly, "I don't know how to say sorry. I don't know how to say what I'm thinkin' half the time. I like ya, but ya make me feel weak. Shitty feelin'. Even ya exes make me feel like I'm nothin' but a heel. I don't wanna be the weak one."

She smiled, her eyes welling up, "I never once even considered it. And there is not a damn thing about you that is weak, Kitty. You stand up to demons, gods and dragons. You're downright terrifying."

"Good." Kitty smiled at her and ran a hand through her hair, "You can kiss me now."

"Nope." Arcana waved a hand in front of her face.

The woman's expression dropped, "Oh. Shit."

"Yeah." She screwed up her nose, and shrugged, "You smell like cheap and nasty cigarettes. But, if you don't mind waiting for me to get us another dragon, I'd be happy to go back to the hotel room and kiss you somewhere else. Like... Really want?"

Kitty grinned at her, "Oh. Is that why ya was so pissed at me this mornin'?"

"... Yes." Arcana flushed.

The woman waved a hand at the statue, "Sorry about ya friend or whatever."

"Oh, he's fine. That spell only lasts a couple years." She shrugged as if it was nothing. It was actually a very big deal, but she didn't want to explain that the police were already waiting to deal with it.

Probably.

Police who were polite enough to let her leave, because she was her mother's daughter. And cruel enough that if she weren't, the two of them would never have seen the light of day again.

Arcana tried not to think about how irritated that made her feel and instead let out an ear-piercing whistle. She grinned as the light to the alley was blacked out by staring dragon heads.

Kitty raised an eyebrow, "Holy shit, they're like magpies. How the fuck does no one know they exist?"

"Glamours, memory spells and a crazy number of people cleaning things up." Arcana shrugged, "Most people can't even see you or me right now."

The woman sneered at her, "Huh? You put a spell on me?"

"Not me. The city council or whatever." Arcana shrugged, "And only because Raz attacked you with magic. It'll wear off. They're sensitive about it here. Only do magic within the designated zones. Speaking of zones..."

Kitty laughed and looped an arm through hers, "Alright, alright. Click ya heels. Lets ride a dragon so I can ride you."

Arcana went bright red as she tried not to make an awkward sound of excitement.

---

Violet woke up early, as always.

The sun was not yet out of her cradle as the witch stepped into the shower and tried to ease her aching muscles with the heat. She tried not to think about anything whilst under the water, just try and relax calmly.

She gently checked over herself. Running her hands down her sides, under and around her breasts. Between her legs and down her thighs. Finding and healing any of the bruises that had formed in the night.

She flicked her wet hair back and looked at herself in the foggy glass. Pursing her lips for a moment. She could kind of pull off sexy if she was soaking. But she doubted she could find an excuse to be wet and in a bikini in front of Rin.

She sighed and washed her hair.

Then she launched into her routine with gusto.

She prepared the henhouse, for when they would awake. Taking the eggs for the day without being noticed, after setting out fresh water, feed and hay. Slipping in and out like a ghost.

Then she disappeared into the morning fog. She lighted momentarily in front of a series of houses, leaving behind things she'd made the night before, before continuing on her way.

She arrived at the marketplace just as it was beginning to open up. She laughed and joked with the usual stallholders, who each had put aside something for her. She paid them and headed to her cafe.

There she filled the fridges, and did the morning prep. She cleaned up the kitchen, re-cleaned the dishes from the night before because they weren't up to her standard, and dusted the windowsills.

Finally she headed to the supermarket that had just opened and picked up groceries for Chelsea. She reappeared in the Glade, put most of it away, almost got bitten by the wolf, and then began making a large lasagne to split up into lunches.

The witch in the bed rolled over and stretched. As she did, the candles lying around all burst into light and grew large enough to threaten to burn down the building. Simultaneously, the ground shook as if there were a minor earthquake.

It took a moment for the safety spells to kick in, trying and mostly failing to contain the enormous power of the young girl. She leaned up on one elbow, "Oh. Hi, Vi. You cooking?"

"Lunches." She replied, and snapped a finger to stir the nearby cauldron of hot water, "You made stew? Or something more horrible?"

"Mostly tasteless." Chelsea sighed, "I thought it'd be fun. Witch's classic in a witch hut. But hot water and mushrooms do not a stew make. I threw in some chives but..."

"Oh, for the love of all that is sacred!" Violet was repulsed by the complete lack of care to the food. She picked a couple large chuck steaks out of one of the shopping bags and sliced it up quickly and tossed them into the cauldron.

Then she pulled out a couple sheets of seaweed and tossed them in as well. "Isn't much, but that's a better start than whatever the hell you were doing."