Arcanum - Of Steamwork and Magic Ch. 19

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I don't want anything," Gideon said, quietly. "The Hand is an order of assassins. We were contracted to kill Stennar Rock Cutter and anyone who spoke with him. You were merely a...loose end." He smiled, slightly. "A rather impressive one."

I shook my head -- and knew that conflict was coming. His hand was tightening on the pistol. And for all I knew, he was skilled enough to shoot my dead. And even if he was not, I would be dead shortly after from the dark elves. I had a single hope... and it had been voiced, long ago, by Virginia, when we had read of the origins of the Molochean Hand. "The Molochean Hand wasn't always like this," I said, quietly. "The last time they served evil they turned on the Derian Ka."

That name was the trick. Gideon's eyes widened. "Derian..." He stepped forward, growling. "How did you know that name, half-orc? Speak. Quickly."

I stepped forward as well, coming almost nose to nose with the human. "I read of the Hand's history. Of how they were once assassins for the Order of the Dead. Of how they discovered what their master, Kerghan the Terrible, had done. How they turned upon him and slew their former brothers." I frowned. "You may have been assassins. But you had honor. What honor is there in serving Arronax?"

Gideon took a step back. "You lie..." he whispered.

"He does not," Virginia whispered. "He's the Living One. The reincarnation of Nasrudin -- why else do you think the Dark Elves have been so intent on putting him under the ground?"

"The dark elves are working for Arronax," I said. "To bring him back to Arcanum."

Gideon's face grew set. His cold eyes flared and he ducked his chin forward. "I will need to investigate this," he said, his voice very soft. "If you are lying to me - if you are attempting to creep away from your fate, then know this: No force in the world will save you." He paused. "But if this is true...then know this too. Nothing. Nothing. Will be able to stop me from putting this right. It does not matter how old the debt, blood must be paid. Evil must be punished."

He turned and stalked off.

I let out a quiet chuckle. There was no humor in it -- only the release of tension. I looked to Virginia -- and saw that her face had gone completely white. I took her hand and she started, then nodded. We walked to the elevator and rode it down -- down to the forest floor. Virginia, her hands shaking, began to incant. We kept watch, and the dark elves watched us from a disitance. Then, suddenly, an alarm began to wail. The dark elf guards looked up, their brows furrowing, as horns blew and wailed.

"Virginia!" I said.

"Working as fast as I can!" She hissed, her fingers flexing.

The elves on the ground looked to us. I drew my pistol as fast as I could -- Gillian doing likewise. I shot one dead, the shot catching him in the chest and flinging him against a tree. Gillian used four bullets, less well aimed, but the effect was the same. However, arrows were begging to zip through the air, thudding into the ground around us. One nearly struck my head as Virginina's hands moved faster and faster as horns bellowed and more arrows fell -- and I saw three arrows flying directly for my chest. And then the world flexed...and popped...

And we were there, before Quintarra.

I sagged in relief, gasping.

Virginia stood beside me. Her face was still as white as I had seen it before.

"Virginia," I said, reaching out -- but when I tried to clasp her hand, she shook her head and stepped away. She looked almost frightened of me. "Virginia?" I asked. She looked into my eyes, her face a mask of pain -- not physical pain, but the deep pain of the soul. "...Virginia, what is wrong?"

"H-he's right..." Virginia whispered. "No matter how old the debt, it...I...I have to go."

"Virginia!" I said, stepping forward. "Go? Go where? What-"

"To Caladon! I...I have to go! I...I'm sorry, Resh." Her eyes brimmed with tears and she turned away, unable to look at me. I reached for her. Virginia fled. She rushed into the woods and I cried out, running forward. But purple light flared -- and when it faded...Virginia was gone. Gone as if she had never been.

I stood there, underneath the beauty of Quintarra.

Alone.