Are You My Husband? Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Dina gasped at that revelation. That wasn't all he was pumping her for.

Ramon picked up, "Then Stennis approached me to come work for him. I talked to Scott, and we agreed that I would. Stennis is a strange guy. He's more of a hardass than you are, but he's more lax on the managerial and billing side. I should know more in another week. He has me overseeing one small commercial install and a large residential install, on a nice property, which he's pushing me to finish ASAP."

Other than having lost a few employees, so far, Stennis had not hurt the Parkers' business. That was to come, shortly.

Ramon continued to work for Stennis, and sometime each weekend, he and Emilia would visit the Parkers to give them an update. Other than the names of clients and suppliers, Ramon didn't have much new information.

A few weeks later, Ramon was being asked to help pull together some proposals for small commercial installations, which he leaked to Scott. Scott was able to land a couple of the nicer ones.

One evening, there was a knock on Scott's door. Deputy Blake and Brother Leo were standing there. Scott invited them in, but they didn't look like they were bringing good news.

Once inside, the others came into the living room to see what was going on. Blake said, "One of the deputies that has visited several of our block parties called me this afternoon to let me know that the Gwinnett DA's office is going to bring charges against you for bigamy because of your relationship with Kathleen. As soon as I heard that I called brother Leo to see if he could help me find out more."

They were all shocked to hear this.

Blake continued, "I'll be honest with you, I'm dumbstruck that they are bringing this forward. Someone has a real burr up their ass to push this, but here we are. You are to be arrested at your office tomorrow morning, and you should be arraigned in the afternoon. If you have to stay overnight, I'll make sure you are in your own cell."

Kathleen was devastated at the news, knowing she was the cause of all of it.

Brother Leo said, "Since I'm a co-chaplain for the Sheriff's office, I know a lot of people, let me see if we can find out more. What Blake told me is what I've heard from several people, which is that the chance of getting a conviction is almost nil. We're sorry, but we wanted you to be prepared. Bail should be pretty low, but you should probably find a good attorney and have some cash ready. I've already called a few attorneys who are willing, and have the time, to represent you."

Blake said, "Even though we think you will prevail, Scott, you need to treat this seriously. In Georgia, bigamy carries a one to ten-year sentence if convicted and is considered a felony. So this isn't a little hand-slap like a speeding ticket."

Janie asked, "How would the DA's office know or suspect anything. It's not like we run around blabbing that Scott and Kathleen are married because they aren't." That disappointed Kathleen to hear, because she felt like, and Scott treated her like they were.

Brother Leo said, "It's hard for me to imagine anyone at the church being malicious enough to raise it to the attention of the DA, and even if they did, they don't have any proof. Scott's fathering Franklin isn't enough."

Dina whispered, "Marco." They all turned to look at her. "He knows most everything. Well maybe not everything, but a lot. I was so proud of all of you. I look at the three of you and see something beautiful, so everything I told Marco was as a boast, something to be proud of. God, I was so stupid. I'm sure everything they are using came to him from me."

Scott said, "I know you wouldn't intentionally try to hurt us, Dina. This all started with Stennis and Marco. I'd bet the business that they are behind this. We'll call Emilia and have her tell Ramon that he needs to switch from listening for info to digging for info."

The Parkers asked a few more questions, but nothing new was really learned that evening. They were all distressed over the news.

Scott called one of the attorneys that Brother Leo and Blake recommended, and they all shared with the attorney what they knew.

That night in bed Kathleen was distraught, truly believing that she and her illness had brought this on Scott and Janie. They spent all their time trying to convince her that everything would be okay when truly they had no idea.

The next day, Kathleen and Scott drove into the office later than usual, and there was a sheriff's car waiting for them. Scott was arrested, handcuffed, and driven away. Kathleen called Scott's attorney to let her know that they had taken Scott. Kathleen shared with the office staff what she knew, and that Scott should be back in the office tomorrow. She also told them that Scott would be acquitted. Once she knew that everyone was back to work, she drove back to her home like a zombie, not even realizing that it was the first time she had driven by herself in years.

It went exactly like Blake had predicted, except Scott did have to spend the night in jail. While uncomfortable, it wasn't a horrifying experience since he was in his own cell. He was arraigned in the morning and given the nature of the crime and his being a low flight risk, bail was set at a low $5,000. Their attorney had prepared them for this, and rather than pay a bondsman, they had given the attorney the cash to bail him out.

The trial was set for five weeks in the future, which seemed like forever.

When Scott arrived home, all of the ladies were there, including Beverly, who was as worried as the others. Kathleen, still grieving over her role in this hesitated to even hug him.

Scott went over and sat next to her. She was almost tempted to flee. She didn't want to be the cause of any more problems.

He said, "Kathleen, this is all going to work out. You have to believe me, and Blake and Brother Leo. We're going to win. We've done nothing wrong."

"It's all my fault."

"Well, yes, it is, but I'm the lucky one."

She was surprised he had said that and was about to run to her bedroom, but he prevented her from leaving.

"It's your fault that you are so wonderful. It's your fault that I'm so attracted to you. It's your fault that I find you amazing like I do your sister. It's your fault that I'm in love with you. And finally, it's your fault that I love you so much that we have our wonderful little Franklin. So please tell me, how any of this is bad?"

She looked at him as tears were still running down her face. "I never wanted to hurt you. I should have left before Franklin was born."

All of the adults responded, "No!" which caused Scott to chuckle a little.

He continued, "You see. None of us believe that. I don't think even you believe that. Look at me, Kathleen. Believe me when I tell you that I want you in my life every single day. I know I'm not supposed to say that, but it's true. It's only been in the last year that I've become accustomed to the idea that you were going to stay with us because you are a part of us. Don't worry about the DA's case."

He paused for a second and said, "But you know what? Even if we do lose, which we aren't, but even if we do, I'd do it all over again for you and for Franklin. I hope you know how happy I've been the last three years, Janie, too. Your being in our lives brought that happiness, so don't ever suggest you would take that away from us."

Kathleen looked over at her sister who was smiling and nodding her head in agreement with what Scott said, even while she had tears in her own eyes. Then she looked back at Scott, the man she loved with her entire being, and threw herself at him.

"I love you so much. You're so good to me and for me. I cannot imagine my life without you or Franklin in it. Please win. I don't want our lives to change, and I don't want you to be away from us and in jail."

He chuckled, "I really don't want that either, but yes. We are going to win." He almost had himself convinced.

The other women were pleased with that outcome, and there was much hugging and encouragement offered afterwards.

Emilia called Scott to ask if he wanted Ramon to come back and run the business because of the trial, but Scott refused, saying that he could best help Scott by keeping his eyes and ears open.

Annabelle called Janie and said for her to pass on a message from Blake. She said, "Blake said the sheriff is acting really weird about this case. He's told all his deputies not to discuss it. Now they aren't supposed to talk to reporters anyway, but he doesn't even want the deputies talking amongst themselves. That is VERY unusual."

Dina, still feeling like she had allowed too much personal information to be shared with Marco, planned to do a little reconnaissance of her own.

The next day, on the bottom of page A4 of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, there was a small article describing the arrest of Scott Parker, co-owner of Winter and Son's Landscaping, on bigamy charges. Scott called a meeting in the office to let everyone know what was going on and to tell them that things were going to be fine. He didn't want any nervous employees jumping ship. Over the next few days, he met with most of them individually to reassure them, and maybe himself, as well.

His first meeting with his attorney was not as reassuring as he had hoped. She told him it would depend on what the jurors thought of how a husband treats a wife and if he treated Janie like more of a wife than a sister-in-law. She said the good news was that the DA's office would have to convince all twelve jurors, which in this case would likely be quite difficult.

Saturday night, after everyone turned in for the night, Dina slipped out and visited a couple of places trying to get some information of her own. By the end of the night, she had found what she needed.

Marco heard later that she had been snooping around, but he didn't believe she could do anything that could hurt their case.

That Sunday afternoon, Brother Leo, Blake, Annabelle, Ramon, and Emilia came over to share everything they knew with each other.

During that meeting, Brother Leo said, "Scott do you trust Blake and me?"

"You know I do."

"Then we want you to tell your attorney that you want a bench trial, okay? That way only the judge will hear the evidence and the judge will decide the case instead of a jury. Can you do that?"

Scott looked over at his neighbor and said, "Blake?"

Blake shrugged his shoulders, "Based on everything Brother Leo has told me, I have to agree with him. I believe it is the best chance to have a more favorable outcome. I'm sure your lawyer said for you to request a jury trial, but based on what we know about the judge, she's a real stickler for the law and is less likely to be easily swayed by the DA than would-be jurors. Oh, by the way, the DA is planning to lead the prosecution on this, which I guess makes sense, because nobody can believe he brought this case forward. So yeah, tell your attorney not to request a jury trial."

"Okay." He would do it, but he wasn't 100% convinced.

Ramon conveyed that everyone over at Stennis was practically giddy with excitement. He said that Stennis was planning an advertising campaign targeting all of Scott's customers as soon as the trial concluded. They believed that Scott was going to lose and that they would take over his customers.

"Wonderful," said Scott. "Now I'm being attacked personally and professionally."

His attorney was even less convinced than he was regarding requesting a bench trial, unsurprisingly. He shared with her everything he had learned the previous day from everyone that was at his house, but in the end, he told her to go for the bench trial.

Since bench trials are usually shorter than jury trials, she said, "it may save you some money, but it may cost you some years."

He stuck by his decision, but that was NOT what he wanted to hear.

With so much going on behind the scenes at Stennis and with Blake and Brother Leo, Scott felt like he was in the middle of some Machiavellian plot. He knew one thing, if he was acquitted, he would find a way to hurt Paul Stennis and Marco. Not at the expense of hurting his family, but he would eventually get even.

One good thing that happened was that Ramon was learning a lot about Stennis and his operation. He also was able to pass along enough tips that Scott, with the help of Kathleen, picked up a few new installation and maintenance clients.

As the trial approached, Brother Leo and Blake, through Annabelle, continued to assure Scott that things would be okay.

The weekend before the trial was to begin, the following Monday, everyone was at Scott's house sharing any updated news they had. This time Elizabeth Roberts, his attorney, attended, wanting to council those that might be called as a witness on things either to say or not to say that might hurt Scott's case. Scott appreciated Elizabeth's time, but now he wondered about his mounting attorney fees. Oh well, better to be a free man trying to pay those off than incarcerated and unable to.

The payoff on his business debt would have to wait a little longer.

Blake dialed in from Annabelle's phone since he didn't want to be accused by the sheriff of disobeying orders.

Blake offered, "Scott, I have to tell you that with everything I've found out over the last few weeks, and especially the last few days, I think your chances of going to jail are about as close to zero as possible. As long as no one involved in this case dies this week, you are going to be fine."

His attorney said, "Deputy I would sleep a lot better if you would tell me what has you feeling so good. I think our chances are good, but you seem to think this is a slam dunk. Well, it's not."

"I understand, but there are some things that are about to come to light that will impact this case. Being nervous will probably look good for the trial, but I'm going to sleep like a baby tonight. I hope that tells you how confident I am."

That made everyone except for Scott's attorney feel better.

__________

Finally, the trial was to begin, and thankfully the judge, her honor Gillian Reynolds, decided to hold the trial in the chamber room, rather than in the courtroom, which disappointed the media and the district attorney who protested the decision. The reason for his protest is that he was very familiar with the room, and because of its size, would not allow for any spectators, nor media, which he was hoping would attend.

The judge said, "Counselor, if a guilty verdict is rendered, all court transcripts will be released. There is no need to take up an entire courtroom without a jury present."

The chamber room was the size of a large square conference room. It contained six tables -- one for the judge, one for the bailiff, one for the court reporter, one for the witness, one for the prosecution, and one for the defense. Each table had one chair, except for the prosecution and defense tables which were larger and could accommodate up to three chairs each.

Judge Reynolds had a fierce countenance to her face and only a little grey in her dark hair. Georgia-raised and Hispanic by birth, she was fifty-two years old and had sat on the bench for eleven years. She was the daughter of a long-sitting judge in the county, and she was known as a no-nonsense type of judge, who wouldn't put up with courtroom theatrics. She would sit for re-election the following year.

The DA was NOT happy with the decision to use the chamber room, but did not wish to anger Judge Reynolds, and prepared to present his case.

Even before his opening statement, he said, "Your Honor, it has come to our attention this morning that our key witness has been detained in some legal mix-up over the weekend and is unavailable until later this afternoon or tomorrow morning. We would like to request a short-term stay, or delay, of one day while this matter is resolved."

"Counselor, you are suggesting that we delay this trial because your witness is where exactly?"

"I'd rather not say, Your Honor, as I'd hate to unintentionally bias these proceedings?"

Judge Reynolds leaned across the desk and proclaimed, "Counselor, I'm not some first-time juror who is easily manipulated. Tell me where this witness is, and I'll decide if we should delay these proceedings."

In a low voice, he said, "He's in this very same building, being arraigned as we speak."

The judge sat back in her chair for a moment and then said, "Motion denied. Counselors, give your opening statement, and then the prosecution will call the first witness."

The DA was irritated by that but gave his opening statement, and he put into evidence a copy of Franklin's birth certificate. When Elizabeth gave her opening statement, she entered into evidence a statement from Kathleen's psychiatrist referencing her family history, the medical researcher's theory, and Amanda's supporting medical history that a baby would minimize or eliminate Kathleen's hallucinations, and the subsequent results. She was prepared for the psychiatrist to testify to that if necessary.

The DA called Dina into the room as his first witness.

Once sworn in and seated, he asked, "Ms. Lopez, how would you describe the nature of Mr. Parker and Ms. Winter's relationship?"

"It's a good relationship. He's very kind to her. He loves her."

"Does this loving extend into a sexual nature?"

She acted shocked, "Oh, no. Scott is a very kind and friendly man, but he's married and acts accordingly."

This was the reason that the DA wanted Marco to testify first, but he stuck his neck out anyway.

"Ms. Lopez, didn't you tell Marco Ramirez that you witnessed Mr. Parker performing oral sex on Kathleen Winter last year?"

"What? No. Who told you that?"

"Objection!" cried Elizabeth. "The DA knows that's hearsay."

"Sustained," replied the judge. "Let me guess Counselor, your key witness is who she allegedly told?"

"Withdrawn." The DA continued "Ms. Lopez, do you ever see Mr. Parker touching Ms. Winter the way he does his wife? Intimately?"

"No. I mean he hugs her, and I've seen him kiss her, but that's all. They sit together a lot when she's holding their baby. They aren't hiding that, you know."

"I'm aware," said the DA. "So no intimate kissing or cuddling on the couch with Ms. Winter?"

"She sits next to him on the couch with Mrs. Parker and sometimes with his mom. Oh, he bought all of us these pretty earrings, too. See?"

Had anyone been looking at the judge, they would have seen the slightest upturn of the corner of her mouth upon seeing Dina's earrings.

Disgusted and knowing that Dina was prepared to say anything to protect Scott, the DA replied, "No further questions your honor."

During the cross-examination, Dina portrayed Scott's relationship as nothing but a man being exceptionally kind to his wife's sister, like he is to most people. She even explained how he and his family have done so much for her, personally, painting him and Janie as extraordinarily caring people.

The next several witnesses were neighbors who he asked about Scott and Kathleen's behavior at the block parties, but they all testified that Kathleen danced with a lot of people, and Scott danced with Janie and Kathleen along with other women. Yes, they all knew Scott was the father of Kathleen's baby, but that was all they knew.

He even called Blake and reminded him he was an officer of the law, under oath.

Blake reminded him, "I don't need to be reminded, Counselor. I'm reminded of that every day when I pin that badge on and kiss my wife goodbye, neither of us knowing whether I'm going to return home or not."

He then echoed the thoughts of the other neighbors.

Mid-afternoon, Marco showed up. The judge was not impressed.

Marco testified that he had seen Scott in intimate embraces and kissing Kathleen the same way he kisses his wife and treats her exactly as if she were his wife.