Ariadne and the Tales of Heroes

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Try to look at it from my point of view, Shikoba. Kill when you have to. You will have your chance. Don't try to seek in killing because that is all you will have in the future."

"I suppose you are right...I miss home."

"We will be home before you know it."

The conversation ended before they knew it. Sleep overtook them as the night sky littered the landscape. Artillery was still being fired throughout the night, occasionally rocking or shaking the room that they slept.

Chapter 2: Early Day In September 13th, 1918

"You are getting close...," said an unfamiliar young male voice.

"Wha? Who said that?" Toha asked. All he could see was darkness.

The voice continued, "It is important that when they offer you to take the scouting assignment to go north to Fresnes..."

"Who are you? I can't see you."

The darkness prevailed. Toha could swear that he did see something that looked like a pair of eyes looking at him, but the darkness obscured him well.

Suddenly his eyes opened. Toha could see the light coming from the entrance of the room. He quickly put on his clothes and uniform.

"Another dream," he thought quietly to himself. "It is a dream where I am surrounded in darkness, but somebody is talking to me. I can't see who he is, though."

Toha went through the long process of putting his uniform on. He was ready for this battle to end and get some rest. Surprisingly he was able to get a night's rest and did not have to go on watch. He used the bathroom, tidied up, and stepped out into the trench.

"Toha, we have an assignment for you since you were the last person to wake up. We need you to take this message to Lieutenant Colonel Patton in the 42nd division. He is not far from here. This message is a priority one private. He is not far from here, and he is by his tank. It broke down, so you will know which one it is when you see it."

"Roger that," he replied as he received the enclosed envelope. He took his rifle and began to march eastward. He took a good look and could see three tanks in the distance behind some ruined trees. He could still hear artillery rounds being fired from a range. This area, however, had some barbed wire that was run over by the tanks that passed by. There was already a detachment of men ahead of him. There were bodies strewn across the landscape, but people were tending to them. A cart was being loaded up with the dead being put in place to be taken for proper burial.

Suddenly Toha could hear the whizzing sound of an incoming artillery round heading in his direction. A randomly fired artillery round was heading in his direction. The only thing he could do was jump and duck to the ground floor, lowering his profile as much as possible before the round landed. His face planted into the dirt as an artillery round landed and exploded with a defining sound forty feet away from him, leaving a massive crater in the ground. He got back up and started wiping the dirt and mud from his uniform before he picked up his rifle and continued marching to the tanks in the distance.

The dirt and mud caked on his boots as he marched on the ground. He started to hasten his pace as another random artillery shell exploded 100 feet away. Even with the distance of the shots and explosions, no one wanted to be in an area for too long, especially with explosive ordinance going off.

Finally, Toha reached the three tanks. He could see smoke and burning fumes coming from two of them with the other non-functioning. He could see a man standing next to the tank and inspecting the tank with another soldier explaining things to them. Both of the men did not notice him and were busy explaining things to each other. He could hear the tail end of the conversation as he approached them.

This was the first time Toha had a chance to see the tanks up close. They were the newest Renault FT-17 Tanks. They were loaned from the French to help provide the United States additional support when it came to ground combat. The tanks were unique compared to other tanks since they had a turret installed on top of the fuselage. Their small profile made them easy to manufacture, perfect for crossing trenches, and having a good enough speed to race forward ahead of infantry or simply keep up. They were primarily mobile pillboxes with a gun that could fire in any direction. He remarked the treads that lined its sides as it went to the back. This was a different tank than what he saw in a photograph of a British Male Mark V tank. In that picture, the tank was big with massive tank treads that lined its entire structure with multiple machine gun emplacements and cannons that lined its hull. They were mobile fortresses.

"Sir," a random man spoke. "We have broken a tread, and the engine is working at half its capability. We will have to take this tank back and do repairs to it."

The man that he recognized as the Lieutenant Colonel took his leg and kicked the side of the tank. "Damn, that is one more tank that has broken down. We might as well use chariots against the Germans! For all, we know those would actually work, and they're easier to fix!"

Toha noted that he could see a holster with a pearl ivory handle to his Colt 45. He waited for the two men to finish their conversation before giving the message.

"Lieutenant Colonel," another man spoke. "We are also experiencing supply shortages. We are pressing forward too fast and leaving our supplies behind. Perhaps this is a time to rest a bit and let our supply chain catch up."

"Ugh...I guess it might be best to do so," Patton spoke. "Have my command changed from this tank to the tank on my right. We will proceed in the latter part of the day once our supply line has caught up."

"Incoming!" yelled one of the tank crews as everyone took cover. An artillery round fired from the Germans was whizzing close to their direction.

Toha quickly ducked by the tank on his right, hoping that if it landed close, the armor of the tank would protect him. Patton did nothing but stare at the distance of where the shot was fired. Everyone but he was unfazed by the round as it landed forty feet away and exploded, doing no damage. He got up and was surprised to see that Patton was unshaken from the explosion.

The other soldiers, except those in the tanks, slowly got up and dusted off the sand that collected on their uniforms.

Toha broke the sudden silence, "Sir, I have a message from a squad that needed to be delivered to you."

Patton turned his head and looked at Toha. He put his rifle butt to the ground as he held it close to him. He saluted him as Patton saluted in return. He reached into his coat and pulled out the letter to hand to him.

Patton smiled. "Ah...I wonder if Pershing had anything to say about our attack so far."

Toha handed the letter that was decoded by the Choctaw from his squad to be delivered to George S. Patton. Patton accepted the message as he opened it up in return. The other soldiers from the other tanks proceeded with the work in moving equipment and gear from the almost inoperable tank.

Toha stood watching Patton read it as he awaited further orders from him.

"Hmm..." Patton said as he had a bewildered look on his face. "Looks like we are to keep going that direction. Things are going well so far. The Germans are sure to lose in no time and pondering on surrendering. Allied Government is thinking of pursuing and helping the Whites in Russia. I am all for it. I think the Red Bolsheviks are going to become the next problem in the world. Communism will be our next great war if they are not stopped."

"Sir?"

Patton took the letter, rolled it up, and started to tap his other hand with it as he was in deep thought. He looked at the battlefield ahead of him. Toha watched him as Patton looked forward. He knew the Lieutenant Colonel was thinking. He turned and looked at the soldier in front of him.

Patton had a questioning look on his face "Private...you look like you are Native American, but I don't recognize the full features of one."

"It is because my father was white and my mother was Native American. I am fighting for the Native Americans."

Patton smiled, "Indians...now those are some brave warriors if I ever saw one. I have seen you warriors scout and serve as communicators. Nothing like giving the Germans a good run of their money when they have no way of deceifering what you are saying. You Indians are perfect to have on the battlefield and are honored for fighting with us. I know firsthand what the Native Americans are capable of in combat."

Toha had a confused look "You fought directly with our squad before, sir?"

"No, I fought against the Native Americans in the Battle of Little Big Horn. I was with Custer in the 7th Cavalry the day the Indians wiped us out. I fought with all my might, but in the end, an arrow struck me in the throat. In the end, I am happy that you are on our side now. The Germans don't stand a chance against us."

Toha was further surprised at his choice of words "Sir, what we call the Battle of Greasy Grass happened in June of 1876. You are too young to have been involved in that."

"That is because I died in that battle Private. Don't you believe in returning to the Earth to fight again?"

That was a question that perplexed Toha. He looked at the officer with a questioning look "There is some belief in reincarnation, sir. I have some doubts of it, but I keep an open mind on it as my ancestors did beforehand."

"There is no proof nor yet any denial soldier. We were, we are, and we will be. I am sure of it. I fought with Alexander at the Siege of Tyre, I was a Viking once, I fought in Agincourt, and I was a pirate or privateer fighting on a ship trying to free slaves or was it prisoners of war? I was born to fight like you warriors and all the warriors of this conflict."

Toha had a small smile on his face. "I respect your beliefs, sir. I feel something like that happens with us. We come back as the animals, the trees, anything living on this Earth."

"With me, it is war. I always make sure to come back when I am needed for some great conflict. My timing was true as Europe burns that I fight as a soldier in this war."

Patton walked up to his tank with a busted tread and looked at it closely. "These tanks are the future of warfare. If the French were able to come up with this, then it is a matter of time before better and faster versions of these things come out to replace them. It will be a matter of time before Trench Warfare will be obsolete, soldier. You will no longer have to hide in trenches waiting for an enemy that you cannot see shoots you down. Eventually, warfare will be nothing but these machines. Like riding a chariot into battle."

Toha stood and listened to listen to Lieutenant Colonel speak. He never met this man, but he had a certain aura around him when he spoke. It was to him like talking to some aged warrior that knew that he was part of something greater and destined to be here. Only a few Native Americans to him thought like this, and he felt that he was somehow Native American himself.

Patton looked at the tank again and looked at the Tank "I look at this tank I have been riding on, watching it break down as it slowed down my own advance towards enemy lines and I feel like I did in June of 1912 at the Olympics."

"What happened at this...Olympics?"

He shook his head "In Sweden, I participated in the Olympics. It seems like I was hit by a stream of bad luck during the competitions. Fencing, polo, swimming, cross country riding, and then the shooting, I went through the competitions. It was the shooting that I felt that I was screwed at. I scored 21st place as they said that I missed one of my shots on the target. I got furious at the judges as I told them that I never missed. One of my shots went clean through one of the holes that I shot through, and they didn't count it. The judges didn't believe me."

"Perhaps it was better to be here then, sir, than in some competition of the white man."

Patton smiled. "I believe you are right, soldier. It was better to be here than there anyway. From Pancho Villa to this...Great war, what future wars will I be a part of?"

Patton snapped out of his dialogue and looked at Toha. "Here I am, ranting along, and here you have to listen to some soldier you have never met. Perhaps I just needed another person to talk to, soldier or no soldier."

"It's alright, sir, I enjoyed the conversation. This war is allowing me to meet many people, both good and bad. It is an experience for me that I will never forget. I hope to be by your side in battle, and if I die, then it will be a good death."

Patton smiled as he looked back at the soldiers that were stopping to listen to the conversation he was having with the messenger.

A stern look developed on his face. "Alright, alright, what are you standing around here for? Get my equipment on this tank. I want to face the Kaiser myself!"

Everyone snapped back to work as they continued moving the equipment. They were nearly done.

Patton looked back at Toha with something he considered. "Private...what's your name?"

"Toha, sir."

"Private Toha, I have a mission that might be perfect for you. It will be a dangerous one; will you be ready for it?"

"Yes sir, I am ready for anything, sir."

Patton nodded with a smile, "Like a true Indian. With our advancement temporarily stalled, I need to start getting more eyes on the surrounding area. Perhaps they are right. We went too far too quickly. The Western advance almost completely bypassed the town of Fresnes north of here. For all, I know, the Krauts might be launching an attack to cut off our supply chain from there. I need to have scouts in the air and on the ground. I would like you to go to this town and scout it to see if the Germans are planning on launching a counterattack. If there are some stragglers, do what you need to do, but I need to know if we are heading into an ambush. If I were a German Commander, I know I would hit us around there."

"Fresnes?..." Toha was almost taken aback by surprise. He said it out loud. "Sir, I would like to go to Fresnes and scout the area."

"Good...no hesitation in you." Patton walked up to a soldier and directed him to give him a paper and pen to him.

Patton then proceeded to write two letters on the side of the broken down tank. Toha watched as his hands wrote feverously. "I am writing two sets of orders that need to be delivered to your chain of command. One needs to be sent back to Pershing. The other is for your chain of command. This order for your chain of command supersedes any orders that they may have for you. Is that understood soldier?"

"Understood sir."

About a couple of minutes later, Patton signed his two letters and gave them to Toha. They both saluted one another as Toha turned around and marched back to his squad.

"Interesting man," he said to himself as he walked. "Fresnes, though...I felt like I had a dream last night, and he said, 'go to Fresnes.' There was no way I would ignore that possibility. Something is there, or I am having premonitions to go there. Either way, I must go there and find out what is going on and why I am being driven there."

Patton walked down away from the tanks as he stood staring at the battlefield in front of him. Artillery was still being fired at a distance from both sides. He could see much smoke coming from multiple areas ahead of him. Machine gunfire could again be heard in the far distance as the battle waged in front of him.

He said quietly, watching as a shell landed by a tree in the far distance. "Through the travail of the ages, midst the pomp and toil of war, have I fought and strove and perished countless times upon this star. So as through a glass, and darkly the age long strife I see where I fought in many guises, many names, but always me. So forever in the future, shall I battle as of yore, dying to be born a fighter, but to die again, once more."

Chapter 3: Later that Day

Toha arrived back at his squad with the orders firmly in his hand. He delivered it to his squad leader that promptly opened it and read it. His eyes expressed shock.

The squad leader looked at Toha almost in disbelief "Lieutenant Colonel himself wants you to scout Fresnes north. It is a couple of miles away from us. Be ready to meet possible fierce resistance private. We have a couple of squads that are in the surrounding area trying to make sure the Germans are not pressing some counter-attack on us, but you will be on your own. We will be helping the supply line get moved forward while you are gone. Go get yourself something to eat. You will be leaving in an hour."

"Understood."

Toha went into the trench and the room that he slept in. Not far from the place was the galley, a makeshift dugout room with a simple table and chairs. It had its own stove and bucket to clean and wash plates. On a cabinet, the squad found food that was left behind after the place was captured. Food was being served for the men by another fellow Native American who doubled as a cook.

"I am afraid all we have is German food. Let's see I found kartofflen, schweinefleisch, and möhren. Toha, how good is your German?"

Toha looked at the cook that was trying to figure out the food in the cabinets in the galley. The food was stuffed in heavy bags to help preserve their shelf life. His German was ok, but with no one else being an expert, it was better than nothing. "Looks like potatoes, pork, and carrots."

"Good, I can get started with making a stew," the cook replied.

Toha went and decided to head to the makeshift armory that the Germans used in the trench prior to its capture. There was not much, but he took a look at the rack with the weapons. There were Gewehr 98 Rifles, but Toha felt happy with the Springfield rifle that he already had. He went and made sure to take about fifteen rounds with him for the rifle.

He said out loud, "I need a pistol or revolver to take with me in case my rifle does not work, or I run out of ammunition. I could go and ask for my squad leader's M1917, but there are a couple of pistols I can grab from the armory here instead. Wait, what is this?..."

Toha found something that was smaller than a rifle but bigger than his rifle. Another soldier walked into the room and looked at what he was looking at.

"By our ancestors, look at what you found," the soldier said to him.

"What is this gun?"

The soldier explained, "I am actually surprised it's here. Their storm commandos that attack trenches use this. This is an MP-18. This is a wonderful gun to have. I have only heard of this gun. I never thought I would see one."

"Is this a carbine or some powerful semi-automatic pistol?"

The soldier replied, "This is a very light machine gun or submachine gun depending on how the white men term it. It is the German answer to us using shotguns in the trenches. You could literally jump into a trench with this gun and pour automatic weapons fire with it."

Toha's eyes widened. He had seen someone use a Chauchat, but the thing was large and broke when it was being demonstrated to the division.

The soldier nodded, "If you are heading into a possibly dangerous area alone, then I suggest you take the most powerful stuff you can use. The MP-18 is short-range, it's basically an automatic pistol hence why the Germans called it a Machine Pistol in German obviously."

Toha held the MP-18 in his hand. He nodded, "I wonder if I can take this and my rifle at the same time? What's your name anyway?"

"You can simply just call me Private Koi. I don't share my full names to anyone. I don't anyone getting too attached to me in case...well, I get shot. It might be possible to carry both; it will be heavy for you, though. The gun does seem to have some problems that I already see upon looking at it."