All Comments on 'Armistice Day'

by Thefireflies

Sort by:
  • 43 Comments
naughtyandy4unaughtyandy4uover 2 years ago

Quite the intriguing tale of love conquering the horrors of war. Would certainly like to see how it all works out, did he seed the daughter? Definitely loves the older woman, but what future?

Great characters, well played.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Very good indeed. Well-written but not overwritten-'the poetry is in the pity'.

The tragedy is that we're still allowing 'old men to send young men' on pointless missions to kill each other and, increasingly, hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians too. Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan, what a useless waste. Before long many entities will have the ability to cause world-wide destruction at the touch of a button. It's all going to end very badly but we can't say we didn't deserve it.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Very well written and very appropriate for our US readers as tomorrow is Veteran's Day. Slow salute to all of my brothers and sisters, no matter what branch or rank. Here's to us and those like us!

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Wonderful written. I enjoyed it very much. Like others I’m wondering if you’re writing what happens next for Alfie and Carmel. JC

ArdieffArdieffover 2 years ago

A very touching tale.

allansbulletallansbulletover 2 years ago

11th November 2018 - one hundred and three years since the end of World War One - "the war to end all wars" yeah, right! Just 10 months over 30 years later, the Germans were at it again! The second time a truly global conflict! This is a very well written story, and does a great job of portraying life in the trenches for ANZAC troops, some of the best in the world. Erwin Rommel was once quoted "If I had to take Hell, I'd use the Australians to take it, and the New Zealanders to hold it!" 5 stars, mate! Cheers, Allan, Christchurch NZ.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

I thought this was excellent, well done

.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Outstanding!

Real literature. Great portrait of Melbourne in 1918. So many Melbourne touches, Chloe, the trams . the beach bathing boxes, the terrace houses. Accurate account of the soldiers attitudes: my wife's grandfather had been a light horseman in WW1, he had been keen to go , proud of hid horsemanship skills and so on. Told everybody even when I met him,(in his 70's,) that war was hell and horrible.. Fascinating characters, I am looking forward to the sequel.

Being remembrance day I am listening to Eric Bogle

" So they gathered the crippled . the wounded . the maimed

and they shipped us all home to Australia."

(The band played walking Matilda).

From now on I will also reread your story every remembrance day.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Perfect story before Veteran"s day, can't wait for the second part

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

A fine tale, exquisitely crafted. I felt like I was there.

A friend's grandfather served in that war, and the damage his lungs took from a gas attack never fully healed. Your story fills in details he would never agree to reveal.

5*

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Really well done. Thanks!

BuzzCzarBuzzCzarover 2 years ago

I'm reading this on Veteran's Day(US). I was reminiscing on my own combat tours and things that happened. This was a nice break. Well done.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

As an Aussie, what a moving story which also bought back painful memories of my grandfather who was gassed in France, He had severe coughing spells until he passed away in Concord Repat Hospital in the 60's. On another interesting note he was also a direct decendent of your story on the birth of Sydney which you wrote a couple of years ago. Small world.

samurai7samurai7over 2 years ago

Great work. Keep it coming!

charlie48charlie48over 2 years ago

It’s said that timing is everything, as I started this story after attending our local armistice day service a few hours ago.

A wonderful tale with as much humour and spice as my damaged heart could take, I look forward to its sequel. Five stars.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Great story. I’m looking forward to reading about what comes next for Alfie.

ThefirefliesThefirefliesover 2 years agoAuthor

Thanks for reading and voting and writing comments. I appreciate them all and offer an extra heartfelt thank you to those who have shared personal connections to aspects of the story. The sequel, Prussian Blue, has been published and can be found in the Romance category.

Crusader235Crusader235over 2 years ago

Wonderful story, loved the characters, and your writing. Any small mistakes did not take away from Alfies tale. Looking forward to reading some more of his story when he gets home. I do hope Pete, and Susannah get together. I'm sure Pete would eat her to several orgasms, then fuck her brains out. Five Stars!

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

“making Pete and I laugh” - gah!

Glad you’re interested in the incorrect uses of I and me.

A_BierceA_Bierceover 2 years ago

In Flanders fields the poppies blow

Between the crosses, row on row...

Though we all should be inured to the horrors of war given the pictures and stories of US (mis)adventures starting this month 80 years ago, you take us into those ghastly trenches of the War to End All Wars and make us care for (and weep for) the maimed and marked survivors. A tour de force.

ActingupActingupover 2 years ago

Thank you so much for writing this. I think that you’ve dealt wonderfully with the history and the emotions of the time (as far as I understand them). As a Melbournian I also enjoyed reading the tale - I’ll have to visit Chloe sometime soon! This is real writing and deserves a wide audience.

The_OutlanderThe_Outlanderover 2 years ago

Wow!

Brilliant story and very well researched - nitty, gritty, and I would enthuse as a poignant reality of the times.

Lest we forget...

Masterful fact masquerading as fiction, wrapped up in a most believable romance. Well done cobber, I'm on to your next right now...

SouthernCrossfireSouthernCrossfireover 2 years ago

Hi, thefireflies,

I was off to read your "Persian Blue" when I saw that I should read this one first. Of course, after switching here, I read the whole thing instead of spending some of the time writing as originally planned. Yes, it was like a book that you can't put down, where you feel for the characters and want to find out what happens. I was a little disappointed at the end when the reveal wasn't quite as revealing as I expected; instead, it was a great stopping point before bridging to PB, but it wasn't as definitive as I'd hoped.

Regarding the story, it was an excellent tale, very well told, with Alfie being a very likeable, well-developed character. The reader wants him to succeed in recovering, in getting home, and in finding love and happiness somewhere along the line.

Since I did some roughly parallel research for part of my story "My Sister's Love," I'll add that European war/western front portions of the story and Pete's tale appear to be based on very good research, which leads me to believe that the Australian portion was similarly well researched. The notes at the end were a welcome sight, too.

In summary, great job, 5*. And PB is up next!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago
What

What a fantastic story, I have read stories of the 1st world war but mainly from the English serving men, is was a delight to read about the Austrailian side of the war. Thank you very much

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Great story

Aussie1951Aussie1951about 2 years ago

Brilliant story but why stop there. There was too many unanswered questions. Did he end up with his friends wife if not he was a fool by not taking up Susanna’s proposal by staying with her ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Great story... looking forward to reading the next chapter.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Really enjoyed the story, hopefully a follow up would be excellent to find out what happens to the characters in the story.

Again excellently

ThefirefliesThefirefliesalmost 2 years agoAuthor

Thanks for the positive comments. I’d like to reiterate for any readers who missed it, the sequel to Armistice Day is titled Prussian Blue, and can be found in the Romance category.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

I do wish to know if Alfie comes back. What happens to Will's Mary and Jack as well.

Great story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

With out a doubt in the top 3 stories her on literotica. Great character development, well done background and story, and the sex is hot and believable. 5-stars. Please write more.

outlaw29coutlaw29cover 1 year ago

A well written story. As a Vietnam Vet, I know the dreams and distant stares. I was in an Army Helicopter Company. We had one Aussie Company in our Battalion. They were great guys to party with. I will have to read the next story to see if his homecoming is better than mine.

wish_thinkerwish_thinkerover 1 year ago

What can I say, certainly nothing surpassing all the positive comments below. Thank you!

ThefirefliesThefirefliesover 1 year agoAuthor

For those of you who have enjoyed Armistice Day, I have published a supplementary piece, Carmel’s Unsent Letter to Alfred, in the Letters and Transcripts category as part of the Letters of Love 2022 Story Event. TFF.

Mike9947Mike9947over 1 year ago

Dark - as is the literature of the period - with everyone left hanging - whic was real life for many in that generation. Sad.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Wonderful. Can't say anything more. 10 out of 10

FranziskaSissyFranziskaSissyabout 1 year ago

The unforgivable essence is “the so thought most intelligent being, breathing fresh air, is the most stupid one and having learned not a little bit after killing each other for thousands of years” ….. im so kind of “depressed “ with such knowledge and just having a closer eye on such happenings, how much pain distress bad memories horror will survive in a huge amount of human beings …… its a shame that we are not able to live peacefully side by side …… so this story is soooooo sad , but nicely written and of course just of your hard work so intense so intriguing so gripping

💫💫💫💫💫💫💫💫💫💫 ten stars for all former soldier and families left behind

AnonymousAnonymous11 months ago

Great story. Captured the essence & character of Aussie diggers in WW1. Great descriptions of Aussie geography for International readers.

12 out of 10.

oliveauoliveau11 months ago

A wionderful bit of writing. A nice slow gentle build up to the action. Sex scenes beautifully constructed and beleivable. Well done. I looke forward to more.

Boyd PercyBoyd Percy10 months ago

I gave this story a 5 but never left a comment! I recently saw a news report that the USA finally finished destroying all their gas bombs. They were using robots near the end since Sarin gas is highly toxic.

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

I believe he will never find love as he had with Carmen and her daughter. Regardless of Prussian Blue.

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

Best story I’ve read on here. If you aren’t already, you should consider evolving your talent and writing professionally. Your historical and situational description are excellent, and your dialogue is clever, witty and sharp. Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

If you want to see the picture of Chloe, it's in Wikipedia.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userThefireflies@Thefireflies
Thanks for dropping by my story page. I like to write for pleasure, mine and hopefully yours. I still have many story ideas, I'm just excellent at procrastinating, even when I do get time to write. So, my dear readers, please be patient. A quick word about typos: they are prob...