All Comments on 'Art of Deception'

by ThatNewGuy

Sort by:
  • 192 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago

actually enjoyed it , not so sure it belongs in LW, Yes i know it has his ex wife in it and she cheated but that's kind of pushing things as far as the story line goes. However the mystery side of the story and the forging as you said not completely accurate gave for a very good read.

keep up the good work.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Batman and Catwoman of the art world

Gotta love it :)

PowersworderPowersworderabout 4 years ago

That was a riveting story and I enjoyed the way it panned out, with him ruining his ex-wife's career and getting his revenge on her lover. I wish he'd got together with Carina again though, the romantic in me was hoping that they'd get a happy ending.

5* obviously.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Quite good

You receieve extra stars for the welcome change of pace. Its been nonstop garbage of late it seems.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
5 stars.

Very well written. Descriptive thoughts and sentences. Good story line, one that most might overlook. Tasteful and erotic sex scenes, and a riveting story line. Good Job!

philhattiephilhattieabout 4 years ago
GOOD READ

I know nothing about Art but definitely an enjoyable story. Look forward to more P

Todd172Todd172about 4 years ago
Easy five stars.

Well written, wngaging and original. Looking forward to more of your work.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Anonymous

Great story line with some nice twist and turns. Enjoyed it immensely.

I hope this one isn’t over a follow up and a rematch of these characters would be wonderful.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Sequel phase

Loved it. Great characters and very interesting plot. Would be great to have a sequel, romantic in me would love for them to get together.

The Style GuyThe Style Guyabout 4 years ago
Top notch

A masterpiece of a story. Thanks.

MordechaiJonesMordechaiJonesabout 4 years ago
Top notch

Fascinating. Please keep writing. Very well done.

moreandmoremoreandmoreabout 4 years ago
Very nice change of pace

Thanks for posting

Schwanze1Schwanze1about 4 years ago
Seems to me

This is “you could make a living writing fiction” level work. Don’t see that much on Lit.

My only question is, why was she asking around for that particular date newspaper? Wouldn’t any date near that work?

HikingThruHikingThruabout 4 years ago
Perfect collateral-damage revenge

So, many stories with former SEALs and Mafia-connected stooges getting blatant revenge, and this nerd stops a million-dollar heist, costs his cheating ex-wife her job, and he gets rid of both the other guy's relationship with ex-wife, and his job. Novel, and very well-written and paced. Having Carina in that room though, seems unlikely. A true master forger would never get close to people who could easily ID them later.

dragonmann72dragonmann72about 4 years ago

I think it rather interesting that your fourth story was on forgery, you claimed to know nothing about it but wrote an intriguing tale about it. Which was the true forgery?

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
2

It was three pages too long and wrong category

Driven2ReadDriven2Readabout 4 years ago
5* -- what a nice change of pace - well done

Outstanding story and such a change of pace from the majority of the drivel we find on LW. You might consider a bit of a series with Adam -- the character is strong and intrigue,sex, consequences in the artistic world, the plethora of insane characters that populate that world -- it could make for a great template.

ScorpioJJScorpioJJabout 4 years ago
Great story

There have been too many terrible stories in LW lately. Not all of course, some of the better writers still post worthy stories but too much garbage has to be sorted through to get to them. Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
One of the BEST

This is a great story. There were no "special forces" or "BTB". Just a great storyline.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
The work of a master

ThatNewGuy is welcome fresh delight.

OPrimeOPrimeabout 4 years ago
A Masterpiece

A great read. Well done. I loved it.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
An excellent forgery

No, it's not a great short story written by a master. But it is an admirable attempt at forging one. ;-) Thoroughly enjoyed! Well done!

BarryJames1952BarryJames1952about 4 years ago

Very enjoyable

Rather impressive given the amount of research required to write such a fine story just for fun. It was fun to read, too. As far as the comments from 'the category police,' you should choose whatever you feel like it belongs in. Great job. You're now on my fav list, and I want to see more.

SleeperyJimSleeperyJimabout 4 years ago
Almost art-world noir in its detective work

This was delightful. A mixture of Sherlock Holmes and Hercule Poirot, written in a style reminiscent of Chandler and Hammett.

The research alone would score 4*, and the lightly flat touch to the writing deserves another 4* - but 5 is all I have.

Well done, sir/ma'am!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Great!

One of the best stories ever written here.

hindsight2020hindsight2020about 4 years ago

I am so tired of these overused....

Sorry, bad habit from commenting on some of the recent dreck that shows up in LW.

This is awesome. 5*. Knocked it out of the park.

BeBopper99BeBopper99about 4 years ago

5* Riveting original story with a very nice BTB on the ex and her lover along with Carina by using a forgery. And he got a massive jump up in his career. Write on!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Thank you

A nice little detective story

well done!

A_BierceA_Bierceabout 4 years ago

Not the end, I hope

I'd love to read more about the world's greatest art forger and the leading forensic art forgery detector (especially since he got his FFT infrared spectroscope).

GrimmerGrimmerabout 4 years ago

Nice change of pace - could see this becoming a series or chain.

Aside from some of the scientific items (they really have minimal impact), I found the ending a bit rushed. Still, I rated this a five.

Nice change of pace. Thx!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Very well done 5

Technically, the writing is excellent. Very creative plot. Criticism: At the beginning the plot was dragging...it wasn't obvious that anything of interest was going to happen. That's partly the consequence of the long sex narrative. Notice that The Hall of Fame stories are long on clever plotting and action OTHER than sex descriptions, which are inevitably tedious. There is a cadre of wankers on this site that are "entertained" by long descriptions of who did what to whom, but I suspect most just scroll through that type of thing. IMHO, this effort would have been improved is the sex twaddle had been dramatically shortened, and the drama among the MC, Carina, and Lauren had been more fully developed. Still, it was easy to give this a 5.

BaddestmanaliveBaddestmanaliveabout 4 years ago
Great Story

Looks like a new talent has arrived, 5 Stars easily.

imhaplessimhaplessabout 4 years ago
What's not to like?

I appreciate it when authors do research and try to be accurate about some uncommon subject. 5*

gatorhermitgatorhermitabout 4 years ago
Great story

The character development in this story is strong enough to merit a second chapter. Also would be interesting to find out Carina's real backstory.

BillandKateBillandKateabout 4 years ago
5 stars

One of the best stories here in a long time. I don't know much about the art world, but it rang true and because it's fiction - that's good enough for me.

I look forward to reading some of your previous works, you're a fine writer, keep it up.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago

Eh, glad that others liked it but i was little board with it, i don't know i guess plot just wasn't that interesting to me and characters were ok but also not that interesting, so it wasn't bad story at all but i also didn't really liked it either.

Wang4Wang4about 4 years ago
Excellent

This is a most unique contribution to this category on this site! I enjoyed it immensely. Well written and the characters were extremely well developed for the stories length.

Thank you for sharing

Ed

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Good one!

I read the story and gave it a five because it was entertaining and different. Wish I could write as well. Not only did I enjoy the story but the author's comment at the end gave me a chuckle.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Great story

Adam still a lonely man , he was being used but fell in love with carina. She had feelings for him. He exposed her fraud,they both moved on. Still we could use a part 2 does he ever find a mate. He was a honest and honorable man. Almost impossible to find today . Well we have a choice coming up in politics Biden is one such person vs the biggest liar in our politics today! Lol America .

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago

Well written but kinda pointless.

Unless you’re here for riveting art forgery drama.

Niche market.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Great ride!

The most frustrating thing for an art forger is Is having to listen to the world praise the original artist while they labour in obscurity producing something that they believe is equal to or better than the original. The only way that they gain fame is by getting caught.

If this were a movie, ending it as you did would be the perfect set up for a sequel.

AZSAMAZSAMabout 4 years ago
well done

Very much enjoyed the story. Fairly sound but particularly enjoyed the twist of the moon status to prove it a forgery without the other forensic evidence.

xiluaxiluaabout 4 years ago
Love it

Although, I don't think this story belongs in the LW category this was a story that got me hooked from the get go. Great reading regardless of any scientific validities presented as facts.

5 stars.

silentsoundsilentsoundabout 4 years ago
Excellent story.

Full marks and sincere thanks.

Wizard1983Wizard1983about 4 years ago

Very well written and totally beliveable from the art forgery point of view which I know nothing of either, but it was fun to read.

Thank you

LordGeoffreyLordGeoffreyabout 4 years ago

Thank you for this wonderful story. 5*

26thNC26thNCabout 4 years ago
Very good

I have no knowledge of art, or if art forgery. Your story sounds right to me, but I would bet money that there will be a couple of forensic investigators among the LW readership who will tell us where you went wrong. That said, I really enjoyed the story as written. I figured that somehow he and Carina would blow up Lauren, but your twist was a complete surprise. Kind of a Thomas Crown vibe to it, and it would make an excellent movie. Very well done NewGuy.

bruce22bruce22about 4 years ago
Excellent Example of Turning Real-life into Fiction

The complex plot with its turn arounds is enthralling.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Excellence!

A sincere understatement: "ya done good!J58Yuc

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Very well played

I guess revenge on an Ex makes it a loving wives story - barely. The story itself was a good read. I do wish he had fried more asses in the end. Either gotten his Ex fired or turned Carina in by exposing her in dramatic fashion. A good script writer could probably turn this into a movie. Unfortunately guys like Harrison Ford and Sean Connery are too old for the lead. Thanks for the effort. I look forward to more of your stories.

4 stars

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Fun story. Brilliant premise. Worthy of 10 stars, but Lit maxes out at five, so 5* it is.

What an enjoyable addition to the usual drivel in the LW collection.

Congratulations on your imaginative foray into this topic, as well as the sparkling 'confession' in the Authors Note. Dazzling stuff, that.

BRAVO, TNG!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Listen up

If Todd172 has good words for you, you did good, Boy. Do look at his stories and notice that he develops great characters and has good plot-lines. You won't find the puerile "stroking stuff" cluttering his pages and boring his readers. You have real talent. I hope to see much more of your work.

TeslerTeslerabout 4 years ago
Thank You

There are very few stories on this site that you hate for them to end. This was worth the wait.

donjuan1954donjuan1954about 4 years ago
Great job!

You are a very good writer. Be happy to beta read. (I have a minor in literature).

JLRemora2JLRemora2about 4 years ago
Original piece, not a forgery

Very unique spin on fidelity and it's unintended consequences, at least unintended by one party. Very enjoyable read, with a certain artistic flair not often seen in such stories. I agree with some of the other posters, I'll certainly read your other work!

Keep it up.

DogFuzzDogFuzzabout 4 years ago
Impressive

I doubt that many of our readers are experts in artistic painting frauds so your presentation was interesting and refreshing. I particularly enjoyed the smooth flow of your story. Thank you for sharing. Five stars from me.

northstanderrhinonorthstanderrhinoabout 4 years ago
At last!

A decent story, real characterisation, good storyline, such a pleasant change from all the dross submitted lately.

Rolando1225Rolando1225about 4 years ago
Nice Piece of Entertainment

Very interesting story with some erotica and quite a bit of twists and turns. Please keep writing. Thanks a lot for sharing it. 5* for your work

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Close

I gave this work a 4 because I could not give it a 4.6. I don't know how constructive that is but I will read you again and again. Thanks for a story that had just enough sex and enough plot to keep it interesting.

marcUs1728marcUs1728about 4 years ago
A breath of fresh air

Finding this was a breath of fresh air for me, after flipping through mindless wannabe cuck stories! The plot is wonderful and relevant, the science intriguing, and the writing which moves well. There is sex and adultery in it, justifying it being in the LW category, but it was not overabundant, yet tastefully done without crucifying the story line. I give it five stars!

GreyDuckGreyDuckabout 4 years ago
Wonderful story!

Loved it. Well written and great plot. You obviously know a lot more about art than I do since it all seemed plausible to me.

njlaurennjlaurenabout 4 years ago
Great story

Almost noir-ish and the writing, the style and technique, reminded me of Hammett and Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden (without the magic). He gets his revenge on the ex wife and the jerk who seduced her and also finds in a way he can move on. Whether Carina was totally using him or she felt for him, he kind of comes out the winner IMO.

Would love to see more stories with Adam in it, lot of fun. Maybe he will run into Carina and find love ,would be an interesting lw tale of a professional cheat turned into a loving wife.Look forward to more stories.

PostScriptorPostScriptorabout 4 years ago
Great with future potential

This could easily become a series of stories! The relationship between your hero and Corina reminds me of the Sherlock Holmes/Irene Adler love/competitiveness.

I’ve read some articles recently that have suggested that there are a large percentage of the paintings in museums may, in fact, be forgeries.

And it was not that long ago that the statue that was the ‘centerpiece’ of the Getty, out in L.A. turned out to be a forgery!

So, Watson! The games afoot!

katibkatibabout 4 years ago
At last.

At last an interesting, compelling story in LW that does not involves page after page of graphically descriptive sexual acts and and the main male character revealing a long-hidden tendency or desire for cuckoldry. Bravo!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Refreshing

Refreshing to read something entirely new with excellent execution. By far the most interesting discreetly well delivered comeuppance encountered here.

Well done and Thank You.

KalimaxosKalimaxosabout 4 years ago
Good work

I wish my stuff was near as good as yours. But then I suffer from "not give a shit syndrome" which cost me stars in the voting. If you like to get more good scores like this one, don't take a stand on anything in comments like I do.

That said, I liked your story. Gave you a 5.

chastenchastenabout 4 years ago

I absolutely enjoyed this. Thanks.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Very well done. Don't let this opportunity be missed.

These characters are very intriguing and compelling. It is inevitable their paths will cross again. I hope you have the inspiration and energy to make their next meeting even more dramatic and entertaining. So Many Possibilities. I hope you exploit several of them.

Congratulations.

looking4itlooking4itabout 4 years ago

I liked this story. It was well told, held plot well enough to capture my attention (I couldn’t stop reading it) and was fresh. I don’t think you needed to make yourself an expert, there was enough information to make it believable. Great job.

BlackJackSteeleBlackJackSteeleabout 4 years ago
An Excellent Story

An enjoyable read, very well crafted and written.

I look forward to reading more of your work.

Rockyderek_caRockyderek_caabout 4 years ago

Real good read, nice change in storyline from the typical one finds here

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Thank You

It’s so refreshing to find great talent in Lit. E. Thank you for entertaining us

In such an original and realistic way.. Please don’t stop writing

JennyShiu1994JennyShiu1994about 4 years ago
Bravo

Just loved every detail!

robroy93robroy93about 4 years ago
Believe

I believe be very word you wrote. For someone who says he doesnt know about art forgery, you convinced me that you seen expert. Brilliant story.

TheKrrakTheKrrakabout 4 years ago
Enjoyed the twists

This one, while vaguely about a "Loving Wife", was interesting nonetheless. I cannot assail what you wrote about forensics, art or art forgery - but I didn't find anything of what you wrote to be jarring or out of place.

Thank you for sharing your imagination with us.

ribnitinribnitinabout 4 years ago
Well written, good story, original twists

My father had a painting from his collection deemed a forgery and returned to him. It wasn't in the same price league as the ones discussed above.

I was surprised to read of Modigliani selling canvases. I knew that Dali did that a lot.

For someone who claims to know so little about the subject, you put together a very credible story.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago

What an excellent read.

Thanks for sharing your talent.

Cog

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Simply

Fantastic

katranmankatranmanabout 4 years ago

Really well done, very impressive and well worth five stars.

vickitvohiovickitvohioabout 4 years ago
Good story right category?

I did enjoy this, but would we slot this in Loving Wives?

IreneGoodnightIreneGoodnightabout 4 years ago
This needs to expand into a novel

This was very good...expand it into a novel...introduce the concept of why forgers forge and build on the characters.

Rogue5512Rogue5512about 4 years ago
Well done!

For someone who admits to knowing nothing about art forgery and/or forensic studies you certainly had me enthralled. You carried the story well and avoided the pitfall of riding off into the sunset with the forger, either as her accomplice or lover. The real pay off was the subtle gotcha to the ex and her lover splitting up. I see more "art forgeries" in the future?

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago

Well done. Thoroughly enjoyed. Thanks for posting.

SKHPSKHPabout 4 years ago

ThatNewGuy = ThatNewTalent!

Excellent read! ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐!

Indeed worth a sequel. Carina stated in her letter that they certainly meet again - in the little world of art forgers and forensic art experts.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Outstanding!

Excellent plot, and the writing maintains tensoin through the story.

mordbrandmordbrandabout 4 years ago
@vickitvohio

Probably because it has a cheating ex-wife in it that gets a belated btb...

grogers7grogers7about 4 years ago

Original and excellent

johnadpjohnadpabout 4 years ago
5 Stars... Very Well Written... Interesting Story

Don't know how I feel about him squealing on Carina. Did he do it out of his sense of right and wrong (Carina's attempt at theft). Out of feeling betrayed by Carina by her deception of him, similar in a way to being betrayed by Lauren. To show off his own abilities? Of course, there is the possibility to get back at Lauren and get the job himself as well.

Why we do what we do is as, if not more, important as what we do. Everything else in the story was perfectly done. I can assume he did it out of sense of right and wrong, but that would be an assumption. He had too many other, more selfish, motives to know for sure.

Very well done!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Well written!

Such an entertaining story. Great plot twist, and loved the ending!

More, please!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Fun story !

Would love to see more

ArayfArayfabout 4 years ago
Brilliant story!

Great story. I would love to see a follow up story. This had better not be the end. It read like a brilliant cat and mouse game. Bravo!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Excellent!

Very well written and an extremely fun read!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Damn

That was good writing. 5 *****

christmas_apechristmas_apeabout 4 years ago
Sexcellent!

You are my new favorite author. Thank you!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Well done

This wasn't quite the typical BTB story but that makes it more enjoyable and interesting. It was a well-written story with fascinating quality. Keep it up!!!

T.T.

IaOldTimerIaOldTimerabout 4 years ago
Another Favorite Author

My rather short list has just expanded.

ragnarok1ragnarok1about 4 years ago
Mystery

Like a good tale with a little mystery to it. Good job. Kept me interested.

PornGoddess2PornGoddess2about 4 years ago
Brilliant first chapter

When can we expect the rest?

It would be as if f Sherlock Holmes and Irene Adler had had more encounters - possibly working together on occasion to prevent Major Bad Things...

Or maybe Batman and Catwoman.

SpottedDog2018SpottedDog2018about 4 years ago
Nostalgia

Felt like a Hitchcock suspense. Very intriguing

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userThatNewGuy@ThatNewGuy
March 13, 2024 My first romance story, Full Circle, has been posted. One of the things I enjoy about Literotica is the chance to explore writing in a variety of genres. I had fun writing this story, and I hope you have fun reading it. Thank you for your support and encourag...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES

SIMILAR Stories