All Comments on 'As I Lay - Dying?'

by BillandKate

Sort by:
  • 138 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Error in title

I understand errors happen in one’s writing, but please, not in the title. You lay an object down. You lie on the bed. I know I’m being picky, but if you can’t get the title and blurb correct, it tells me the story will be just as bad.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Are you kidding me?

Anonymous, I just don’t know how to respond to you. The author mentioned paraphrasing Faukner’s title - one of the great American novels, BTW - at the very beginning, and I must say it was cleverly done. Obviously you haven’t heard of it or the metal band of the same name. Go ahead, wow me with more of your amazing command of English.

This is one of those times I think anonymity must be a fantastic gift. If it weren’t for that, you probably wouldn’t have the balls to so ignorantly display your ignorance, and I don’t get the opportunity to disparage you personally. Just say thank you and quit posting.

This was a great read.

LordSlamdawggLordSlamdawggover 5 years ago
Extremely Exoteric Prose Flowing from Classic Riff of Faulkner Classic Tome

Well ! Amateur writing all the way but it was heartfelt and harmless. Those qualities alone put it on tier above median effort submitted here. Reminded me a bit of woodmanone's style where the narrator is so earnest and straightforward that it starts to take on camp ⛺ overtones .

Bottom line : Harley motorcycle and bathing suit -optional outings kept main character from Charlie Brown-esque / average Matt Moreau chronic chronicler travails. Barely.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Lay vs. LIe

The title of Faulkner's novel, "As I Lay Dying," is grammatically correct, since, in the case of the novel, 'lay' is the past tense of 'lie' A sentence from the novel: "As I lay dying, I wondered [past tense] if she would come back for me."

There are a number of websites that point out the grammatical correctness of Faulkner's use of 'lay' in this case. You can look it up!

bioman57bioman57over 5 years ago
Great story

You developed your characters and told a good story. I enjoyed it very much. Thank you.

Impo_64Impo_64over 5 years ago
This very good story arises a question...

This very good story arises a question: Why can't a stories like this one be posted in more than one category? That would give a chance of a lot more people to read it...4*

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
thank you

the last line brought tears to my eyes.

dragonmann72dragonmann72over 5 years ago
Another classic from Billand Kate

You have done it again, I have enjoyed many of your stories. My fav will always be 'What Was I Thinking'. Your stories are written to make the reader think and feel the emotion's of the characters. Keep them coming.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
I would be lying if I said I was dying, but

I was comatose while trying to read this. "As I Lied - Crying" would be a better title. Jesus, make something happen in the first page or two! Five pages to bore the reader to death? You can do that in two just as effectively. 5 *s and 😃👍!

AMerryman

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
This was just okay.

Fairly well written. But you covered SO much ground in just a few pages I felt you could have picked one area and expanded it instead of trying to cover a lifetime of events. Maybe next time - "The Novel"?

Driven2ReadDriven2Readover 5 years ago
Superb 5*****

One of my favorite story tellers tells another great story!!! 5* <hand clapping in the background>

PlanerguyPlanerguyover 5 years ago
Outstanding

Outstanding great story, teared up a bit.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Other references

The part where the CEO gets the bucket dropped on him was reminiscent of a scene in The Maltese Falcon.

patilliepatillieover 5 years ago
The “Afterward” kills it

I mean in a good way! Decent 3* atoey along the way, but that kast piece was very powerful!

tazz317tazz317over 5 years ago
GOOD STORY ALL THE WAY TO CODA

but 1 question,,,,,if there is no Pubes,,,do we still call them Beaver Shots, TK U MLJ LV NV

arrowglassarrowglassover 5 years ago
This is an absolute treasure!

Tears in my eyes...enjoyed it immensely!

boatbummboatbummover 5 years ago
Loved It!

As an old guy who has seen a lot of the surprises life can dish up (like cheating spouses, terminal cancer, and - fortunately - a loving partner to grow old with), this story bounced around many different rooms in my memories. Thanks for plenty of food for thought.

On a side note, herpes was indeed a fearsome STD back in the 70s and 80s. I know it well - I've had it since 1973 - and the outbreaks were something else! Painful itching, oozing sores, fever and killer headaches, and so on. It could even be passed on to an infant during birth if there were active lesions in the birth canal at the time. Imagine gifting that to your newborn!

The drug (Valtrex) that finally made it a non-issue came out around 1995, and was only used to treat outbreaks in the early days. Thanks to good drug coverage, my wife and I were able to start taking it daily around 2003, and we've been outbreak-free ever since.

Thanks again for a fine story - looking forward to the next one....

AxelottoAxelottoover 5 years ago
Sweet!

A nice tale.

As for the shave beaver not counting for beaver shots; if a Naked Mole Rat is still a Mole Rat, I figure a shaved or even naked beaver (electrolysis, you pervs) is still a beaver...

wonder203wonder203over 5 years ago
5*

You have a way of spinning a story that I love. I may even be able to guess at the ending but I still can not wait to see how you put it out there! Just another great job!

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
5 stars but

I didn't like him dying at the age of 70.

I used to think 70 was old.

Now I'm 80 I don't.

26thNC26thNCover 5 years ago
Another good one

BillandKate can tell a good tale. I really enjoyed J.R.'s journey. He survived a lot of heartache on the way to happiness. Just be good solid story, with no over the top histrionics to spoil the trip. Just a good read.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Not too many stories here bring a tear to my eye.

This one did.

You have no idea how much I wish my life would have turned out like JR's.

Oh well, someone has to lose. I just wish it hadn't been me.

You write extremely well btw.

bworth1943bworth1943over 5 years ago
living in that 5 year window

At 75 I feel pretty lucky, three kids 6 grandkids and three great grandkids and a wonderful wife of 53 years. I am having surgery in 6 weeks and it could all end there.

but no worries, it has been a great ride . I wish I could write as good a story as this one.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Mixed Emotions

For the most part it's a good story. Unfortunately, Wendy rubbed me the wrong way and I found it hard to like her. It probably how she ambushed him with nudist folks at the hot spring. Her pushy behavior wasn't very endearing either.

With this in mind, I decided it was best for me to not score this story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Just a wonderful story

Great piece of writing. With a happy life and wonderful wife and children,after a few hard relationships he got the right one.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago

I don't know how you managed to make each woman progressively worse when the first flat out cheated on him, but you did. Jane, the thot. Denise, the moron. Then Wendy came across as thoughtless, overbearing and just plain obnoxious. It's a shame that, being a man, he had no chance with Tess. She was the only cool one. I had to stop reading after Wendy's "good, no great" point about how she had sex with twelve men but had never made love with anyone so she should be jealous of his past relationships. If he thought that was a great point, he truly belonged with Denise.

By the way, what kind of computer did he own in the early 80s that could play video off of a disc, and how did the doctor get it on that disc to begin with?

I'm being too hard on the story. I will go back and finish it another day. I was honestly enjoying it. It's just that the Wendy character was really starting to annoy me, which wouldn't matter except that's who he's ending up with. I appreciate the time and effort you spend writing for us.

Thanks for the story.

Cog

0zed0zedover 5 years ago
Great Story

Probably could have done without the tear jerk ending!

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
You guys are getting better

You guys are getting better and better. Loved your story. So many ups and downs, so much life, so few regrets. Just awesome.

BaddestmanaliveBaddestmanaliveover 5 years ago
Great Story As Usual

Wish you had stopped at graduation. I prefer a happier ending. Look forward to your next story . 5 [would give it 10 if possible]

CaOldDogCaOldDogover 5 years ago
Great Story *****

Full of "life" and family.

Hooked1957Hooked1957over 5 years ago
Well done

Best thing you guys have ever written.

Schwanze1Schwanze1over 5 years ago
So

he married a total slut, then a crazy bitch with more baggage than Samsonite and then a nudist who had fucked a dozen men she didn't love? Perfect.

Well all's well that ends well and sometimes you can hit an inside straight draw. Instead, maximize your chances boys.

maninconnmaninconnover 5 years ago
What a sappy ending!

I loved it! Thanks for writing about a real loving wife!

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
This story reminded annony. to much

of his dead ex wife. She fucked more guys that a Asian whore house on a Saturday with the fleet in town.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Beautiful story like all of BillandKate's stories.

This is a well written story with twists and turns , passion and heartbreak, but anchored by two people that fortunately found True Love ! I believe it takes true love to make great sex last as long as the Love is There.

Great Job !

InsigniaInsigniaover 5 years ago
As I lye-dyed my tie I lied and died.

A memoir of a life well lived that maybe falls short of the mark. This covers 50 years of ground at a pretty frenetic pace. The drama with wife 1 is a different kind of RAAC attack and it works. The next 2 relationships do little to advance the story and Tess is here why? There was some great potential for some action with his racing that even JR acknowledges toward the end. I know how lucky he must have felt to dodge the dreadecd hair piece. I came close a couple times to having a toupee myself in the 80s.

Love Spokane's Riverwalk and the big red wagon. Just visited there last month. Couer d' Alane is beautiful as well. What kind of square goes to a hot spring in the middle of nowhere with their clothes on? Enjoyed this tale immensely. 5*

NVDiceGuyNVDiceGuyover 5 years ago
Fantastic

I loved it. I thought the balance was great the flow thru reasonable and the detail felt

Like it covered the important pieces of a lifetime. Very believable

chaoddicchaoddicover 5 years ago
Loved it

Well written. Great story

tazz317tazz317over 5 years ago
MOST FOLKS NEVER SEEM TO REALIZE WHAT THEY HAD

even when its gone they knew and are greatful. TK U MLJ LV NV

JDDRIVERJDDRIVERover 5 years ago

Great story line, but I love the last two paragraphs.

William_LinesWilliam_Linesover 5 years ago
Excellent Story.

The plot line was very complicated and I had to re-read parts in order to fully understand it.

Billy Lines

Tiger27Tiger27over 5 years ago
Great Story!

I am putting this story on the back burner for a re-read. I would like to have seen this story made into a 3 or 4 chapter series, but that's just my preference. The writing, as usual is exceptional. Keep up the good work and 5 stars.

Tiger27Tiger27about 5 years ago
I read it again!

5 stars

266xxyz266xxyzabout 5 years ago
Great story!

5☆

It's nice take a break from the Strum and Drang usually found here. It's just a nice feel good story about a truly loving wife. Too bad he had to go tits up bit he seem happy and fulfilled. Not a lot of that here. He was a happy man who truly succeeded in life. Who can begrudge the man for that? And he paid his dues, he was no slacker

Good for you billnkate. I've always liked you stuff.

laptopwriterlaptopwriterabout 5 years ago
Very well done!

I enjoyed the whole story but the end really put it in the 5+ category. Thanks for a wonderful story.

Poindexter1953Poindexter1953about 5 years ago
One of the best stories I have read on this site

I know these characters - they all seem like old friends some of whom I miss, other I am just as happy are no longer part of my life - great story - thanks to author for a great read - suspect time spent reading this saved me half a million brain cells I might have otherwise lost watching some stupid sitcom on the tube

anon49anon49about 5 years ago
2nd Read still 5 stars

Even better the 2nd time...B&K, keep up the good writing

TajfaTajfaabout 5 years ago
Great story

5 stars. Loved it.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago

"There were plenty of nice looking woman working at the bank"

So there was only 1? not plenty of womEn? so many of you writers, who think you're great have no idea about the use of words.

Woman = 1

Women = multiple.

BillandKateBillandKatealmost 5 years agoAuthor
OMG!

You found a typo. Congratulations. Yes, we know the difference between woman (singular) and women (plural). Thanks for pointing out our mistake.

RanDog025RanDog025almost 5 years ago
A GREAT 5 STAR STORY

I LOVED IT BUT HATED TO SEE JR DIE. DAMN IT! I'VE SEEN SO MUCH DEATH IN MY LIFETIME.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
flipped a coin?..

a man´s vasectomy is a negligible procedure in comparison to a woman having her ¨tubes tied¨ . if they both agreed to have no more children, the answer is easy: vasectomy. guess author has no knowledge of anatomy - but he should!

otherwise, not a bad story. gave it a reluctant 5. might not be so lenient next time.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Bravo

This is a very nicely done story.

InfiniteCycleInfiniteCycleover 4 years ago
God they always have to find something to moan about. Lol.

Re: flipped a coin anony. Men get vasectomies, women also get their tubes tied.

It was their choice to go either way, and left it to chance. That's because they were equal partners and respected each other enough to go the way they did. Get over it.

As far as I'm concerned, as a couple, they are the very model of what to aspire to. They saw their relationship through to the end, and the reward was in seeing a happy, balanced and growing family flourish, and the love they had for each and every one in the family was the reward they deserved.

Anony, at least you gave it the right number of stars. Here's another 5.

Rhsc1Rhsc1over 4 years ago
One

Of the best. Your stories (along with your writing ability) are among the top on this site...just added you to my favorite authors list. For some reason I had skipped you, in the past. Glad I found your page again.

Davidj001Davidj001over 4 years ago
Second,,,?

Or maybe the third time I've read this story and it still makes my eyes all leaky.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
What

Would have liked to know what Denise's prudish parents ,thought about her marrying an ex priest.

Grimjack01Grimjack01about 4 years ago
More like this

No BTB, no Raac just beyond excellent story of a life well lived. Thankyou for sharing this one with us.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
terrible english...

even for us english...who writes this shit??

sorry for reading it as well.

BillandKateBillandKateabout 4 years agoAuthor
To the Anonymous Commentator Below

What a sad, miserable life you must lead. This is the third of our stories you've commented on today. Have you ever heard Einstein's definition of idiocy?

You've left disparaging remarks on: our punctuation (which, by the way - conforms with the American Strunk & White's 'Elements of Style'), the fact you've found a few typos out of thousands of words ("The horror! The horror!"), our nationality (yes - we're Americans - you English didn't seem to mind that when my father and father-in-law spent their youth helping your country fight the Axis), and now 'this shit'.

I have a suggestion for you, go back down into your mother's basement, read someone else's story, and have a good wank.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
The biggest loser?

Denise was the biggest loser in this tale. The super -Christians who “know” god’s will twisted the poor woman and basically ruined her life. I watched my mother live the single life from the time she was mid-30’s till she died at 83. Wouldn’t have her marriage to my dad annulled due to her religious beliefs and was a bitter woman, a man hater for the rest of her life. My dad moved on, re-married and was a happy, generous man until his death.

groundrod52groundrod52about 4 years ago
Excellent

Great story.. loving wives at its best. Keep writing.

WvrjjrWvrjjrabout 4 years ago
Through teary eyes I voted a 5*

I can’t imagine “anonymous” could be so rude and dismiss this work with such disdain. It was excellent, and quite poignant.

Thank you again for writing for the others of us that really appreciate your work!

Wayne

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
TO:Anonymous 03/08/20

There's a simple solution - go away and don't read stories here since you have no appreciation for them - classic "sour grapes"...

jrphdojrphdoabout 4 years ago

Great story, just found your page yesterday, have read 3 stories, all very good. Thanks for the good reads!

mainer42mainer42about 4 years ago
best in years

Best LW story I have read in years. From beginning to end. Thank you

someoneothersomeoneotherabout 4 years ago
Nice story

This was a well-written story. No real logic or reality gaps that sometimes sink otherwise good stories.

ffrank16ffrank16almost 4 years ago
Great Story

Congratulation ...I love this story !!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Quit reading tennis and golf and racing !

Doesn't have Time for real relationship

What an asshole as you wrote him

3 stars for writing none for content

johntwheels lost passwords slowly redoing all

jimjam69jimjam69almost 4 years ago
Another outstanding work

And a great story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Re: Anon 03/08/20

Well at least Fredoberto is a nice guy, and he's English too, just wondering what happened to you? As Quigley said to Major Ashley-Pitt: "Major. We already run the misfits outta our country. We sent them back to England.” The point I'm making is your pissant comments aren't welcome. When I read a story that I think is really poor my general rule is I read a total of three. If I don't like any of the three, I'm gone. So, following my rule, why are you still here?

I laugh when I spot the one and only typo that I find in a B&K story, it shows how perfect it really is. Without a tiny bit of less than perfect how can you appreciate excellence?

The one person who lost out in this story was Denise, but if there is anyone to blame it's Denise herself. She was an adult, free to make her own decisions and she choose...poorly.

Signed: BTW

chrisr357chrisr357almost 4 years ago

BillandKate

Anon 03/08/20

Sorry to say we have assholes this side of the pond just as you do there.

In my opinion, someone who won't put their name to a negative/abusive comment is just a waste of space and breath.

Great story please keep them coming.

By the way, we were damn glad that your dad and FIL turned up to the party, maybe a little late but never the less very welcome.

Just_WordsJust_Wordsalmost 4 years ago
A lovely 5***** story.

It's amazing how we sometimes suffer for the sins of others. An ex-wife and a girlfriend too easily influenced made it difficult for him to trust someone new. This was a lovely story about growth and redemption. I wish we had more like this. Thanks for sharing.

GutsandgloryGutsandgloryover 3 years ago
Didn’t

Know this was something I needed until I read it

Thank you.

Demosthenes384bcDemosthenes384bcover 3 years ago

Beautiful story you two - made me anxious to hug my wife of 35 years when she gets home tonight! I'm an avid reader of several genres. Some books I like the story and others not so much, same here. This site is LITERotica, not just erotica. I do know is good writing and you two do well and are quickly becoming one of my "must read" authors.

gfrhgfrhover 3 years ago
Good job

Great story. 5 🌟

PdgriggsPdgriggsover 3 years ago

What an awesomely beautiful story. I love how the story progresses through JR's life to culminate in a sad but fulfilling ending. 5 Stars!!! Best story I've read on this site. Your writing is wonderful and flows easily. I was there with character through the ups and downs. Again truly beautiful! You are now my favorite authors!

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
WOW

I read a number of very good stories on this site. This was one that brought (happy) tears.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Story time

A Good Read, Thank You.

Rancher46Rancher46about 3 years ago

What a great story of love and family. Just enough drama with such great characters. BillandKate you two never disappoint. Well done 5 stars

francemanfrancemanabout 3 years ago

Wonderful! A beautiful story on beautiful life 👏

26thNC26thNCabout 3 years ago
Reading again

A really good story of a man’s perseverance and strength of character leading him to a happy life. Bill&Kate at their best.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
Excellent

Thank You! My wife and I have been together for 45 years and still going.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

Nice story.

Loved the ending.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

This was a touching story. 5 stars

Mrhappy4aaMrhappy4aaabout 3 years ago

Beautifully written story. Heartache at the start, lost loves, and in the end, he found his true love, his soulmate. It goes to show that communication in a relationship is essential. They were able to talk things through and come up with solutions. It's sad that he died but that is life and with her telling the end of the story makes it all the better. This story is going to my favorite section. 5/5 stars for a wonderfully written tale.

johntc24johntc24about 3 years ago

Loved it, well done

zeuspmzeuspmalmost 3 years ago

I love it when divorced spouses act like real human beings & civilized people in these stories.

TajfaTajfaover 2 years ago

Really good but I didn't understand the Denise character. She had lived alone at college but couldn't decide for herself what she wanted. Her abusive husband was deranged but she went back to him and still stayed away after her sons arm being broken and her being beaten up. 5 stars for a great story.

MightyheartMightyheartover 2 years ago

Beautifully written

The divorce was maturely handled.

WrickettsWrickettsover 2 years ago

Just a great read. Would have made a great Nicholas Sparks novel

NonSequitourNonSequitourover 2 years ago

I lost 2 friends, brothers, to brain tumors: glioblastoma multiforme. The older was lucky. He had 2 surgeries + radiation and survived 4 1/2 years. He had a limited driving permit part of the time and tried to play golf. He died in his own bed 5 days after he fell and couldn't get up. The younger brother wasn't lucky. His tumor was deeper; they could only get 75% of it during surgery w/o killing him. He died 15 weeks to the day from the first symptom, a grand mal seizure. He never walked or set foot in his house again.

Monagamous_NowMonagamous_Nowover 2 years ago

Darn. "There's no crying in baseball."

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

I loved it. Now that's really a loving wives story if I ever read one. A real gem. While neither my wife and I ever had that many divorces, as we've been together for over 40 years, we do know others who have had their issues over the years.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Would give it a 10 if I could! Wonderful and satisfying story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Beautiful romantic and lovely story 💕😍💕😍. Definitely a 5 star ⭐🌟⭐🌟⭐🌟⭐🌟⭐🌟

servant111servant111over 2 years ago

One of the better love stories I have been fortunate to come across. Outstanding job. Perfect pacing, believable logic train, great foreshadowing, dialogue is nice....just lovely all around.

5 stars and a big thanks for providing a enjoyable read.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

I did like it but when Wendy explains that she fucked over a dozen men she didn't love and he had loved three women (or two?) that threw me. Is she admitting she does one night stands or takes the intimacy of sex lightly? To me that would turn me off as it really shows she is a slut. I don't mean that to sound so harsh. I mean she is too easy for my liking.

AngelRiderAngelRiderover 2 years ago

I am pretty rough sometimes on stories but that is mostly to try and get people to think. I am always honest regardless and I am fount to he honest now.

I have read most of your stories and they really well conceived with tight plots and consistent characters. You two really are quite talented. This was lovely. The afterward was perfect and fit so well. There is a "touch" to your stories that always leaves me impressed. Thanks for this.

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userBillandKate@BillandKate
Husband and wife who love to bounce ideas off each other and who enjoy the Loving Wives category of Literotica. We'll keep writing stories - some with BTB, some with reconciliation - as long as the feedback has been mostly positive. The Anom. gallery can be a pain in the ass a...

SIMILAR Stories