Ashes to Ashes Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Remind me never to piss you off," he said after she started to calm down. She laughed in between sobs. "We'd better call 911," he said. April nodded her head. "I'll call if you want to go clean up a bit."

"Okay," she said quietly. Using the phone in the bedroom, John called 911 and told them to bring an ambulance. Then he called Cheryl and told her about Ryan.

"I'm on my way right now," she said before ending the call. John looked at his wife as she cleaned up in the bathroom. He was still in shock at what she had done. He never would have believed she had it in her to do this.

"Police are on their way," John told his wife. "You might want to put something on before they get here." He watched as she nodded her head. Suddenly, she began to sob. He wrapped his arms around her. "It's okay, babe," he said. "It's over."

"I k..killed him," she said between her sobs. John nodded his head.

"Yes, you did," he said, holding her tight. "You had no choice. He would have killed you."

"That doesn't matter," she said. "I'm really no better than he is."

"Nonsense," John said. "It was self defense. It was either him or you. Frankly, I'm surprised. I didn't know you could shoot. I thought you hated guns."

"I was raised around guns," she said. "All kinds of guns. Rifles, shotguns, pistols, you name it. My dad taught me to shoot a long time ago. One day, some asshole mistook my dad for a deer and shot him. Put him in a wheelchair for life. So yeah, I hate guns. But I know how to use them."

"I, for one, am damned glad you do," John said. "You saved both our lives." She looked at him, tears running down her face.

"You're not upset or disappointed in me?" she asked. John smiled and hugged her tight.

"Hell no," he said. "I'm damned proud of you."

"I love you, John," she said, hugging him back.

"I love you, too," he said. "You know, we're not going to be able to sleep in here for a couple nights."

"That's okay," she said. "I know the owner and I got a really good deal on the apartment over the garage. And it just happens to have a nice king sized bed."

Soon, the house was crawling with police, paramedics and techs from the coroner's office. Ryan was still alive when the paramedics came, so they rushed him off to the hospital. The detective in charge of the case was questioning John and April about Robert when Cheryl came by. She whispered something to the detective. He looked at her funny, shook his head and walked away.

"What did you tell him?" John asked.

"Only that you two were instrumental in taking out one of the FBI's current 'most wanted,'" she said.

"Seriously?" April asked. "Robert was on the most wanted list?"

"As of this morning," Cheryl said. She looked around the bedroom before speaking. "You two sure know how to throw a party. I wouldn't want to be the one cleaning this mess up," she said.

"Well, we were thinking about getting new carpet anyway," April joked. Cheryl laughed. "Any word on Ryan?" April asked.

"Well, he was hit pretty bad, but he was still breathing and cursing when the paramedics came," Cheryl said. "Ryan's tough, though. He'll make it. He's been hit worse than this." She looked at John and April before speaking again. "Are you two okay?" April nodded her head.

"Yeah," she said. "I think we're going to be just fine."

"Well, listen," Cheryl said. "It may not be a bad idea to talk to one of our counselors. You went through a lot and it's no small matter shooting someone, especially the way you did. I can put you in touch with someone if you'd like."

"I think it would be a good idea for both of us," John said. April nodded her head in agreement.

"Okay," Cheryl said. "Consider it done. Stay in touch, okay?"

"We will," April said. "Thanks for everything."

After everyone left, John called his parents and relayed the news. Everyone seemed to be relieved that it was finally over and they could get on with their lives. John arranged to have his son drive his truck back to the house and the couple retired to the apartment, where they slept soundly until the next day.

Over the course of the next couple weeks, things were busy around the Sullivan household as John and April put the house back together. April didn't remove the black ribbons from the photos around the house when she left to join John on the cruise, so they started there. They also contracted with a cleaning service to remove the blood from the house and April suggested they remodel the place. John liked that idea, so he made arrangements with a local interior designer.

By the time they were finished, new carpet had been installed, the interior had been repainted and new furniture moved in.

John finally made it back to the office, and everyone was glad to see him. After a small welcome back celebration, he joined George in his office.

"Sure is good to have you back, boss," George said. John smiled and sat down.

"Sure good to be back, George," he said. "You know, I've been looking over the financials for the past year and I want you to know I couldn't be more pleased."

"I'm glad you approve," George said. "I adopted a motto: 'WWJD' - What Would John Do? Got me through every time. And that idea you had about a day care went over like gangbusters. Productivity is up, morale is up and everyone is happy." John laughed.

"Well, that's why I've made another executive decision," John said.

"What's that?" George asked.

"I'm going to name you the CEO, on a permanent basis," John said. "That is, if you want the job. I'll still be around, as President. But the day-to-day operation is yours. You've more than proven yourself."

"John, I don't know what to say," George said. "I'm flattered, really."

"Just say yes, George," John said.

"Okay," George said. "Yes, I'll take it. And I promise to do you proud."

"You already have, my friend," John said. "Just keep doing what you've been doing."

"I will," George said. "And I must say, you really look good. You kinda remind me of that guy in those commercials, the 'most interesting man in the world.'" John smiled. That was the second time he heard that. He lifted his coffee cup in salute.

"Stay thirsty, my friend," he said in a mock accent, causing George to laugh. "C'mon," he added, standing up, "let's go make the official announcement."

On his way home, John thought over the events of the last two years. A lot had transpired in that time. He was still in a contemplative mood that night as he and April shared their end of the day smoke and brandy by the pool.

"Penny for your thoughts," April said. John looked at her for a moment before speaking.

"I've been thinking about everything that's happened over the last two years," he said. "We've been through a lot."

"Yes, we have," April said. "I'd like to think we're stronger now because of it."

"Or rather, in spite of it," John said.

"I can't tell you how sorry I am about it all," April said, a tear snaking down her face.

"You showed how sorry you were when you cut asshole's dick off," John said. "Under the circumstances I can't ask for more than that." She looked at him and took a drag off her small cigar before speaking.

"John, you never told me everything you did while you were in the Keys," she said.

"I worked out, ran my ass off on the beach, went back to taking martial arts," he said. "I did a lot of soul-searching. You know, I even started reading stories on the Internet about husbands dealing with cheating wives. There was one story I read where the husband actually nuked his cheating wife."

"Oh really?" April asked. "You mean with an actual nuclear bomb?"

"Yeah, one of those small atomic munition things," John said. "I had to Google it to see if there was ever such a thing."

"Oh yeah, there were," April said.

"I sometimes wondered what people would say if I ever told my story," he said.

"And?" April prodded.

"Well, the impression I got was that I should burn you to the ground and move on," he said.

"Why didn't you?" she asked. "You certainly had good reason."

"You know I never make decisions based on what other people think," John said. "Truth is, I still loved you and I was afraid."

"Afraid?" April asked. "I've never known you to be afraid of anything."

"I was," John said. "Afraid I'd turn into a bitter, angry, lonely old man."

"That would never have happened," April said. "You're in better shape now than you've ever been. You'd have women lining up for you."

"Maybe," John said. "Maybe not. For weeks I dreamt of burning you and your lovers to the ground. All I could think of was getting revenge. I even dreamed of tossing you into an active volcano." April's eyes widened in shock. "You have no idea how close I was to tossing you out that day you showed up at the cruise ship," he said.

"I'm glad you didn't," April said, grinding out the remains of her cigar. "Come on, let's go upstairs and break in our new bed. Let's make some new memories." John nodded his head and finished his brandy. "Just do me one favor," she added.

"What's that?" John asked.

"Let's dig up that coffin on our 50th anniversary," she said.

"Why wait?" John asked.

"I want it as a reminder of what we nearly lost," she said. John thought about what she said for a moment.

"Okay," he said. Taking her hand, he led her upstairs and the two made mad passionate love in their newly-remodeled bedroom.

John closed his eyes, but his mind was still active. Yes, he thought as he fell asleep next to his wife, things could certainly have turned out much different than they did. As he slept, a very familiar dream began to creep into his subconscious...

...

To be continued...

12