Asteroids and Athletes Ch. 03

Story Info
The other players join Maddy and Cesar in the Sci-Fi TTRPG.
6.3k words
4.33
1.1k
00

Part 3 of the 9 part series

Updated 06/15/2023
Created 09/20/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
alupine
alupine
213 Followers

Cesar sent me a text, letting me know that I would be meeting the rest of the gaming group. I was a little nervous that they would think I was too much of a jock and couldn't play the Sci-Fi game. I got there early, so Cesar and I were sitting in his garage, talking about an upcoming Econ test.

"Sounds like the others are here," he said when there was a knock on the garage door. He tapped a button on the wall and the roll up door opened. Standing there were Justin and someone I hadn't yet met. Over the next half hour Cesar introduced me to everyone as they arrived.

Justin was the tall asian guy with long blue hair and black clothing also in my Econ class. He had black eyeliner around his eyes. Evan was a short guy that arrived with Justin, slightly overweight, with a fade haircut, wearing a long button up shirt and a sleeveless sweater. Maira arrived next. She was about as tall as Evan, with ripped overalls, a cropped top, an average figure, with a nose stud, and ballerina style shoes. She had a dark olive complexion, and long hair in a ponytail. Heidi arrived last. She wore flared yoga pants, a tight blouse, and short denim coat on her thicc body. She had light olive skin and wore cat eye makeup on her small eyes and thick painted red lips. She had pink highlights in pigtails and was only a bit shorter than Maira and Evan.

We all got beers except for Moira and Justin who got sodas before sitting down. Then Cesar started recording the session.

Cesar: Let me do a quick recap. Grita, you and your group of Mercs, on your ship, the Red Nova, finished your last mission and split all the equipment and cred chips late in the day before heading to sleep. You all awoke when you heard the distress signal and put it to a vote and agreed to land. Admittedly by Fanvo, it was not so much to help out, but potentially turn a profit. You landed at the source of the transmission, a mining station. It was there you noticed another ship had already docked. You got suited up and traveled through to the end of the docking tube where you heard a screeching sound, before opening the door and peering in. Then you started to go in to investigate.

Maira: Did I go in yet?

Cesar: I-

Heidi: No, I thought we were just preparing behind the door for an ambush.

Cesar: Actually I called it as Maira- As Grita stepped through. So what was the marching order behind her again?

Justin: I was after Grita.

Heidi: Zarasti is in the back

Evan: I'll be in front of her.

Heidi: Weren't you behind me?

Evan: I don't remember.

Cesar: How about I get a battle map out and you can show me.

Maira: Sick.

Cesar: *sound of papers shuffling* Here is the door you all will be coming through on the Southeast corner. Maira you're in front, you entered first, so place your mini.

Maira: Ok right here?

Cesar: That looks good. Next Xoragol?

Justin: Probably here.

Evan: Fanvo next.

Heidi: Squishy in the back

Cesar: Then Maddy, your character is here at the Southwest corner after your last fight. *turns on some Sci-Fi combat music on his wireless speaker* So Grita, as you come into the room you see the aliens coming towards a human in armor at the other end with a bug corpse and these bug aliens are coming towards them. Let's see if any of the creatures notice your group... *rolls dice* *chuckles*

Justin: From how he laughed they didn't notice us.

Maira: You think so?

Heidi: Sneak attack?

Cesar: Here are the enemies on the other side from Maddy's character.

Justin: Those are cool minis, where'd you get them from?

Cesar: At Elen's Game store.

Justin: Dope.

Cesar: And in the middle of it all is a medium size starship. The right wing is on the ground. It looks like it broke off. There are some large tanks over here on the right as you enter. And you see more stuff off to the left, past the ship, but it's blocking most of your view.

Evan: Can I do an Alien Knowledge roll to figure out what those things are?

Cesar: Yes, when you get in line of sight. Ok I'll say your Speeds for order of combat. Let me know if I make a mistake. Xoragol is seventeen, Yaae is sixteen, Zaratra thirteen, Fanvo is twelve, and Grita is eleven right?

Maira: That's right.

Cesar: Ok and the enemies are twelve, the same as you Fanvo. Evan, roll a luck check to go first.

Evan: *rolls* I make it. Thirty.

Cesar: Alright it's the strange aliens between Fanvo and Grita for turn order.

Before we start combat, since it's Maddy's first time playing with all of you, why don't we go around the table and introduce everyone's character. Starting with Maira.

Maira: Alright. I'm playing Grita Hialani, a Jozan with scaly black skin and scarlet eyes. She has red iron cheek piercings on each side. What else...?

Cesar: What weapons does she carry?

Maira: She has double holsters for a pair of handguns.

Cesar: Sweet. Who's next?

Maira: Almost forgot she's not very strong, but is the leader of the group with Smarts of 14 and Charm of 12.

Cesar: Sweet, Heidi?

Heidi: I play Zarasti, who is an Airudian, which are a genderless species, so they and them pronouns, with gray skin, thin limbs, large heads and giant black eyes. Zarasti uses a semi automatic laser pistol, and has excellent hacking and lockpicking abilities.

Justin: Ok me next? I play as Xoragol, a Chogai'at Enforcer. He's tall with pale blue skin, muscular, with short horns and long dark purple and blue hair. Lots of piercings over his body. His weapon is a heavy minigun and although he loves battle, he's a bit odd in that he loves cooking even more. And really gets a kick out of trying all sorts of alien recipes. Currently he's fascinated with the Earth recipe pizza.

Maddy: *laughs* Wait, are you serious?

Justin (Xoragol): *gruff voice* I am always serious about food.

Maddy: *laughs*

Cesar: Great stuff Justin, next Evan?

Evan: Ok. Um, I play Fanvo Wentoyu; a wiry Leshani male with white fur and reddish eyes. Leshani are like rodent people. He's focused on explosives, blowing up all sorts of things, but he is also well trained in alien cultures and customs across the universe. He has a laser pistol too but prefers grenades.

Cesar: Ok, now Maddy why don't you tell everyone about your character.

Maddy: Yeah.. um, her name is Yaae Sule. She has a... AY69... Laser Rifle and she's good at alien languages... written and spoken.

Heidi: Human?

Maddy: Uh... yeah she's human, and... hair short like this.

Cesar: You don't have to match the description of your mini.

Maddy: No?

Cesar: Whatever you want.

Maddy: Ok then... how about some long beaded braids?

Cesar: Sure whatever you want. And your robot?

Maddy: That's right, she has... D1A2 or Diaz, which is a small bot that can heal and be a backup pilot.

Cesar: I think that's everyone. Now back to the combat. Xoragol, what do you do?

Justin: Xoragol will go... hmm so they are heading towards Maddy?

Cesar: You're behind Grita so you can't really tell. How about you roll a Smarts check.

Justin: *rolls* Seventy-three, fail.

Cesar: Sorry, you're just seeing them rush in and you're not sure of their target.

Justin: Xoragol will go straight towards them, eight spaces. (Xoragol) Hostiles on the right, time for battle.

Cesar: Double move?

Justin: Yeah.

Cesar: That's the end of your turn right? Next Yaae.

Maddy: I can't make it into shooting range this turn?

Cesar: No, it doesn't look like it.

Maddy: I guess... should I just hang back?

Cesar: Up to you-

Heidi: You could do a full round of aiming.

Maddy: What's that?

Heidi: You don't move, but spend the turn waiting for them to come to you. Then on your turn you get to roll at double skill.

Maddy: I'll do that.

Cesar: Ok, Yaae is aiming, next... Zarasti.

Heidi: Can I get on the ship?

Cesar: You don't see an entrance on this side.

Heidi: Can I get under the ship to the other side, or is it too low?

Cesar: Uh let me check... *looks at book* What's your height?

Heidi: Only five ten, a bit short for an Airudian.

Cesar: Ok, you can go beneath the starship full speed.

Heidi: Ok I'll double move to the other side... hmmm but I have no idea how fast those things move. Could I do an alien knowledge check?

Cesar: They're pretty far away. You could do one at half skill. What's your skill?

Heidi: My alien knowledge isn't very good... I don't want to waste the action, I'll just double move.

Cesar: So that's six spaces?

Heidi: Eight. My speed is thirteen.

Cesar: Right, ok eight spaces then. That's the end of your turn?

Heidi: All I can do.

Cesar: Ok Fanvo.

Evan: Hmm... I don't want to get too close, but they are so far away. I'll go right in front of Zarasti.

Cesar: That ends your turn?

Evan: Can I get out my grenade launcher?

Cesar: Sure, there's no penalty for pulling out a weapon. That it?

Evan: Yup.

Cesar: Alright now it's the creatures' turn. They can each move eight in a turn so they will move... Hmm *rolls dice* interesting.

Maira: What?

Cesar: The first two are going to run eight spaces, double move, towards Yaae. The last one will go towards Xoragol.

Maddy: Fuck.

Maira: Don't worry, I'll go next. We'll all head toward you for backup.

Maddy: Ok, thanks.

Cesar: That ends their turn. Grita is up, and then... next round with Xoragol at the top.

Maira: Ok I only have a movement of four... so I'll just double move eight towards you.

Cesar: Ok that end your turn?

Maira: I'll say- (Grita) Steady everyone, let's take these hostiles out!

Evan: Is that an Inspiring Speech ability?

Cesar: That doesn't exist in this game... just flavor text.

Justin (Xoragol): I love flavor.

*scattered laughter*

Cesar: Xoragol's turn.

Justin: Xoragol will... he's in range I think...

Heidi: You're in range of some of the other group too.

Cesar: Uh, let me check... Yeah Heidi you are right, Xoragol could shoot at these two as well.

Justin: Xoragol is just focused on the one headed right at him though. He's going to start up his minigun. And then fire.

Heidi (Zarasti): No diplomacy?

*laughter*

Justin (Xoragol): This is Chogai'at diplomacy.

Cesar: *laughs* Ok roll your attacks. You get two with your minigun, right?

Justin: This turn I get two. Next turn I get four if I use both actions. *rolls* Sixty three and thirty three, both miss.

Heidi: What's your skill level?

Justin: Sixty in heavy weapons, but miniguns roll at half skill.

Heidi: Ouch.

Cesar: That end your turn Xoragol?

Justin: Yeah.

Cesar: Yaae is up and Zarasti is next.

Maddy: I'm not in range am I?

Cesar: Your rifle is range 10, so you're too far now.

Maddy: I was spending a turn aiming. Should I keep doing that?

Cesar: Your choice.

Heidi: I'd move and shoot, otherwise you have to wait another turn to fire.

Maddy: And how many spaces can I move again? Sorry.

Cesar: That's alright. It's your speed divided by 4 plus one. I think your movement is 5.

Maddy: Ok so I'll move 5 spaces and then shoot, right?

Heidi: You don't have to move all five.

Maddy: What?

Heidi: Move just enough to get in range of the first one then shoot.

Maddy: Ok

Cesar: Now roll to attack.

Maddy: Double zero and zero, that's good right?

Heidi: Oh shit.

Maddy: No?

Cesar: That's one hundred, the worst you can get.

Maddy: So...

Cesar: Let me see... *rolls dice*

Justin: Uh oh...

Maddy: What?

Cesar: Here's what happens. You pull the trigger and your rifle... jams.

Maddy: Fuck. What do I do now?

Evan: Can she unjam it?

Heidi: Not this turn.

Cesar: That's right. You can try to unjam it next turn at half weapon skill for 1 action, meaning you can try twice, or full skill if you spend 2 actions that turn.

Evan: Don't we all have laser weapons? There aren't any bullets to jam are there?

Cesar: Let me check the rules... *flips through book*

Maira: Give me a sword instead, no bullets jamming then.

Heidi: Then if you critically fail, you'll cut your own ear or something stupid.

Maira: Oh yeah, that random table can be deadly.

Evan: Wait, can't she push the roll?

Heidi: You can't push critical fails, or combat rolls.

Cesar: Ok, I didn't find it, but I'm going to rule that laser guns can get jammed too. It's not technically a jam, it's an electrical malfunction or something, but requires the same actions and time to make it functional again. So Zarasti it's your turn, and Fanvo you're next.

Heidi: I was going to try and get into the spaceship and fire the guns, but that seems a bit risky now because the bugs are so close.

Evan: Maybe they'll follow you and you can get them to wedge up on the entrance to the spaceship?

Heidi: Unless there are some inside too?

Maddy: There weren't any when I went in.

Heidi: When?

Maddy: Last session with Cesar.

Justin: Meta-gaming.

Maddy: Huh?

Cesar: Meta-gaming is when someone uses knowledge they have, but their character doesn't, to make an in game decision.

Maddy: Oh, is that bad?

Cesar: You didn't do anything. It's only if Heidi acts on that information. But we try to just rely on character knowledge.

Maddy: Ok.

Heidi: Hmm, not sure if the ship guns even function though. Can I tell that from looking at the ship?

Cesar: Make a... Notice check or Spaceship Engineering. Your choice.

Heidi: Could I do Electronics?

Cesar: Eh... not really the same thing.

Heidi: Ok, default Notice is 25?

Cesar: Yup.

Heidi: Shit, ninety seven.

Cesar: You can't tell if it's working just from this brief look.

Heidi: Ok, I'll move towards Yaae and end my turn here.

Cesar: Fanvo.

Evan: Already? Ok... I'll... hmm I'll move up four... and shoot my grenade launcher at this bug at the end of the group.

Heidi: Do you get splash damage?

Evan: Yes.

Cesar: Roll it.

Evan: Forty-nine, hit.

Cesar: Roll for splash damage, you roll with half skill.

Evan: Ninety-five, miss.

Cesar: Ok roll damage on just the main target then.

Evan: Ok that's 3D6.*rolls* Eleven total damage.

Cesar: Ok, eleven. A grenade goes off on it's side, exploding one of its eyes with a pop.

Evan: Eww.

Cesar: Does that end your turn?

Evan: That's all I can do. Hopefully they don't swarm me, I could be dead on their turn.

Cesar: Speaking of...

Evan: Ah shit.

Cesar: Their turn. Let me see if your actions changed their behavior at all. *rolls dice* Nope these two are still all going towards Yaae, but they can't quite get there.

Maddy: Good.

Cesar: This other one on the side is going to... *rolls dice* Sorry Evan... charge straight at you Fanvo. Are you going to attack back or dodge?

Evan: Dodge.

Cesar: Ok roll it, I'll roll attack. *rolls* That's a fail, sixty-two on a fifty.

Evan: Does my dodge matter?

Cesar: No that's ok no need to roll. The creature rushes at you and you're able to easily sidestep as it misses you entirely. Now it's Grita's turn.

Maira: Ok I'll move up within six of the roach that Fanvo already hit. I think I have enough movement. Ok, then I'll fire one pistol.

Cesar: Roll it.

Maira: *rolls* Zero two!

Heidi: No way.

Maira: Critical!

Cesar: Roll damage.

Grita: Is it doubled?

Heidi: Full damage, plus regular damage.

Maddy: Lit.

Evan: Nice. Is that our first critical hit this campaign?

Heidi: No, I had one a few sessions back.

Maira: I rolled four.

Heidi: Plus eight.

Cesar: Right, plus max which is eight, is a total of 12.

Justin: Nice.

Cesar: That takes a big chunk out of its carapace, blue blood spraying the ground. Anything else?

Maira: I used both of my actions.

Cesar: Ok Xoragol is up next, then Yaae.

Justin: Do I have to risk hitting Fanvo?

Cesar: You're ok, unless you roll a critical fail. Roll it.

Justin: Ok I'll try. I get four attacks.

Heidi: Four chances for critical fails.

Evan: Heidi!

Heidi: It's true.

Justin: I have to try. *rolls dice* A hit, fifteen. Roll damage?

Cesar: Roll all the attacks first.

Justin: Ok next... *rolls* twenty-one *rolls* Sixty-six and last *rolls* twenty-one.

Cesar: Wow three hits, roll damage.

Justin: Should I just roll and times three?

Cesar: Roll them separately.

Justin: It's 3D4 so.. *rolls* nine *rolls* ten *rolls* and seven.

Cesar: Ok, good job. Energy blasts fire into it's body, cracking and puncturing the red carapace. Blue blood seeps out onto the floor. That's twenty total damage.

Heidi: That's more than twenty. Is that because of armor?

Cesar: Yeah, their carapace acts as armor.

Heidi: That's... AR 2.

Cesar: Ok now Yaae and then Zarasti.

Maddy: Ok I'll shoot the bug closest to-

Cesar: Your gun is jammed, remember?

Maddy: How do I un-jam it?

Cesar: Spend your whole turn by rolling your weapon skill or spend half your turn by rolling under half your weapon skill.

Maddy: I'll try half.

Cesar: Ok.

Maddy: *rolls* Twenty-eight.

Cesar: Lucky, it's clear. What do you do next?

Maddy: I'll move over here towards...

Maira: Grita?

Maddy: Yeah.

Cesar: That's all you can do on your turn. Zarasti you're up, then Fanvo.

Heidi: I should just run, but I'll focus fire. How's it looking?

Cesar: Pretty damaged.

Heidi: Here goes nothing. *rolls* Fifteen, nice! Now damage... *rolls* Shit, two.

Cesar: The energy blast hits an odd angle and bounces off the creature's dark red carapace harmlessly.

Heidi: Damn.

Cesar: Anything else?

Heidi: If I run it will probably attack, so... no that's it.

Cesar: Ok, Fanvo you are up.

Evan: I'm gonna run.

Justin: Not gonna shoot?

Evan: It's their turn next, I might not make it.

Heidi: If you run it gets an attack anyway.

Evan: Ok I guess... I'll attack with my blade.

Heidi: Then it can attack back though.

Evan: Pistol then.

Cesar: Ok this will be a roll at half skill. What's your skill value?

Evan: Forty percent. *rolls* Ninety-five.

Cesar: Sorry Evan. Now it's the creatures' turn.

Evan: I'm dead.

Cesar: We'll see. Ok this one will charge at Yaae. So will you dodge or attack back?

Maddy: Should I attack back?

Heidi: You have a knife?

Maddy: A vibro-knife.

Heidi: That one... has it been damaged?

Cesar: It doesn't look damaged.

Heidi: It's not worth it then. They have AR 2. And what's your skill?

Maddy: With knives? Forty six.

Heidi: Dodge?

Maddy: Forty five.

Heidi: And your knife is 2D4 damage?

Maddy: Yeah.

Heidi: Dodge it.

Maddy: Ok...

Cesar: Let me roll first. *rolls* Twenty, that's a hit. Ok now roll to dodge.

Heidi: Wait, you already took two actions right?

Maddy: No.

Heidi: On your turn you unjamed the gun and then you moved. Then you can't dodge or attack back. The dodge counts as an action and only two per round.

Cesar: You're right, sorry I keep forgetting that rule. Ok so damage is... *rolls* wow max damage. Ten.

Maddy: Ok.

Cesar: What's your AR?

Maddy: Armor? Six.

Cesar: You take four damage then.

Heidi: How much HP do you have left after that?

Maddy: Five.

Heidi: Close.

Cesar: This next one charges Zarasti. She already attacked?

Heidi: Yes.

Cesar: *rolls* Six, wow, that's a hit.

Heidi: Damn.

Maira: We have to focus on that one before we start dropping.

Heidi: I know.

Cesar: *rolls* You get crushed for nine damage. It smashes you up against the spaceship. You see stars for a second, but you stay conscious.

Heidi: Fuck.

Justin: How much HP do you have?

Heidi: I have an AR of 6, so I'm down to three HP.

Evan: Damn Cesar, you aiming for a TPK?

Cesar: *laughs* Now Fanvo. The bug will... hmm try and bite you *rolls* Nine, that's a hit. You can't dodge right?

Evan: I moved and attacked last turn.

Cesar: Ok that's eleven damage.

Evan: Cesar...

Cesar: What?

Evan: I have four HP left. Time to look at new character...

alupine
alupine
213 Followers
12