Asteroids and Athletes Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Justin: Don't joke about that.

Cesar: Fanvo the bite goes through your armor and pierces your leg. When it opens it's jaws, you're bleeding profusely. Maira you're up.

Maira: Ok I'll just focus fire on the one attacking Zarasti. *rolls* One hundred... oh fuck... another critical fail.

Cesar: Ok I'll roll on the random fail effect table. *rolls* Nothing terrible, just a miss this time.

Heidi: Lucky lucky.

Maira: I know.

Cesar: Are you going to keep attacking with your other gun?

Maira: Or die trying. *rolls* Forty-three, hit. Damage is *rolls* three.

Heidi: Fuck that's just one damage with their armor.

Cesar: Does that end your turn?

Maira: Yup.

Cesar: Top of the round, Xoragol.

Justin (Xoragol): Time to waste this fucker.

Evan: Before he tears me apart.

Justin: Shooting four times. *rolls* Fifty-six, seventy-one, eighty-three, and two!

Cesar: Ok three misses and a crit? Roll damage.

Justin: *rolls* Only six, plus max of 12 is 18 damage.

Cesar: Nice... Ok so here's what happens. You're firing your minigun and the first shot misses, you're firing fast so as you tilt it up a bit you've already shot twice more just hitting the walls behind it, but the last laser shot goes right through it's head shooting blue gore out into the air. It squeals and collapses to the ground in a heap next to Fanvo, blue blood oozing out of the wound and covering his white fur.

Maira: Sick.

Evan: C-cool. I'll wash up later.

Cesar: That ends your turn right?

Justin: I think that's a good turn.

Cesar: Yes it is, Yaae is up next, then Zarasti.

Heidi: Ok, let's figure this out, we're close to death.

Maddy: Ok.

Heidi: Your gun is unjammed right?

Maddy: Yeah.

Heidi: You could probably attack the one in front of you, but the one next to me should almost be dead.

Evan: Justin should be able to shoot the one in front of you on my turn, but I don't think his range goes as far as the one in front of Yaae.

Justin: I have hella range. My minigun is 12 spaces.

Heidi: Damn!

Maddy: Ok so I should shoot the one in front of you?

Heidi: Please god.

Maddy: Ok

Cesar: Roll at half skill.

Maddy: *rolls* Thirty.

Cesar: Still a success, so roll damage.

Maddy: *rolls* Thirteen damage.

Cesar: Sweet, it's a good shot, it goes through the side of the creature's thorax, but it's still standing. It must be barely hanging on. Ok Heidi you are up. Evan, Fanvo is next.

Evan: Ok.

Heidi: I'm going to... take a shot with my pistol with half skill. *rolls* Thirty-six so... that's a miss, I needed thirty.

Cesar: Sorry, up to Fanvo now.

Evan: Ok at least I don't have anyone next to me, I'll... hmmm. I'll move four spaces near the broken wing and fire at the one on Zarasti.

Cesar: It looks like the ship is obscuring your line of fire a bit so you will have to roll at half skill.

Evan: Could I have run over the wing instead? Since it's on the ground anyway?

Cesar: Sure I'll allow it. Normal roll now.

Evan: *rolls* Twenty-seven, hit!

Cesar: Nice. Roll damage.

Evan: *rolls* Four damage.

Cesar: Fanvo you pull the trigger and the laser blast destroys the last bit of this creature keeping it alive. It pierces its chest and it falls in a heap.

Evan: Cool!

Heidi: Tight.

Cesar: Ok now only one left and it's their turn. It's going to do a double claw and a bite.

Maddy: Ok, I can't dodge?

Cesar: Not this time... but you could parry.

Maddy: What does parry mean?

Cesar: You can block one of the three attacks with a weapon. But because you have a rifle not a sword, damage could break your gun.

Maddy: I don't want to do that.

Cesar: How much HP do you have left?

Maddy: Five.

Cesar: It could protect you from a fatal hit. You have a secondary weapon if your rifle breaks?

Maddy: Yeah.

Cesar: It's your choice.

Heidi: Wait.

Cesar: What happened?

Heidi: I don't think you can parry with a rifle on the same round that you attacked.

Cesar: I'm pretty sure. Hmm, let me check the combat section of the rules...

Heidi: Only with swords and stuff.

Cesar: You're right Heidi. Sorry Maddy you can't parry.

Maira: And the rules-lawyer does it again.

Cesar: *laughs* Sorry. *rolls* Forty-three and forty-five. Both hits. *rolls* Nine damage for the first hit and... *rolls* seven damage for the second.

Heidi: So that's three damage and one damage.

Maddy: Why?

Heidi: Because of your armor.

Maddy: Oh thank Jesus. Ok how much total?

Cesar: It's four total.

Maddy: I only have one HP left.

Maira: Welcome to the game.

Heidi: *laughs*

Evan: That's dark.

Maira: Sorry I was just-

Maddy: It's ok.

Cesar: Still not over, now the bite.

Maddy: Shit.

Cesar: *rolls* Eighty-four, miss.

Evan: Lucky.

Cesar: Ok that's it for the enemies turn then, all the other creatures are dead. So it's Grita's turn and then top of the round after that with Xoragol.

Maira: Ok, Grita will shoot with both pistols.

Cesar: Roll it.

Maira: *rolls* Twenty three *rolls* and fifty-five. Two hits.

Cesar: Ok roll damage.

Maira: *rolls* Six and seven.

Cesar: Nice hits, they both blast right through it's dark red carapace, blue blood shooting out with each shot of your blasters. Ok Xoragol you are up and Yaae is next.

Justin: I'll move all the way past the ship to get a straight shot and fire.

Cesar: Go for it. Only two attacks right?

Justin: Right. *rolls* Fifty-one and *rolls* twenty-seven. One hit.

Cesar: Ok roll damage.

Justin: *rolls* Woah, max damage, Twelve.

Cesar: You serious?

Justin: Yeah look.

Cesar: Ok, that shot takes a big chunk out of its abdomen. It's looking pretty hurt. Next it's Yaae.

Maddy: I'll fire on it with half skill. *rolls* twenty-nine.

Cesar: Is twenty-nine below half of your skill?

Maddy: Yeah my skill is sixty.

Cesar: Ok roll damage.

Maddy: *rolls* Twelve damage.

Cesar: Nice hit. Here's what happens. You are struggling against the creature. You're not sure you can make the shot, but when it opens its massive mandibles eager to bite into your armor you just shove the gun inside. Do you say anything cool before you pull the trigger?

Maddy (Yaae): Just die already.

*scattered laughter*

Cesar: Blue gore blasts out across the floor and the beast falls dead. Congratulations!

*Cesar changes the music to calm lo-fi beats*

Heidi: Damn that was close.

Evan: We almost died.

Maira: They never touched me.

Heidi: You're in front next time.

Maira: *laughs* I was before, but you all rushed in.

Heidi: True.

Cesar: Ok hold on a second. The combat is done and now, Nova Four, your group sees this human woman who was attacked barely clinging on to life. And Yaae you see this group of aliens that helped you. What does everyone do?

Maira (Grita): What is your name human?

Maddy (Yaae): Uh Yaae Sule.

Maira (Grita): What are you doing here?

Maddy (Yaae): I'm trying to find my parents. I found my mother... she was dead. But I haven't seen my father.

Maira (Grita): We just got here. We haven't seen anything but Roaches.

Maddy (Yaae): Cockroaches?

Maira (Grita): Those big bug aliens kind of chitter like Roaches.

Maddy (Yaae): Yeah I guess.

Justin (Xoragol): So that's what we're calling them?

Heidi: GM. Do we know their real name? Can I roll?

Cesar: Sure. Who is the best with that sort of thing, that person should roll.

Maira (Grita): Fanvo take a look at this thing, what is it?

Evan (Fanvo): Ok Alien Knowledge? *rolls* Ninety-one, that's a fail.

Justin: Could I check too?

Cesar: You could try another approach, but that roll is for the entire group.

Justin: Ok.

Maira (Grita): So Yaae, now that you found your mother are you going home?

Maddy (Yaae): I still haven't found my father. And I'm also here to find some Zyum?

Cesar: *whispers* Zyn

Maddy (Yaae): Zynum

Heidi (Zarasti): Zynium.

Maddy (Yaae): Yeah that.

*laughter*

Evan (Fanvo): That's expensive stuff.

Heidi (Zarasti): Who are you working for?

Maddy (Yaae): The mining corporation is paying me to find the ore.

Heidi (Zarasti): But you're not a full time employee?

Maddy (Yaae): No.

Maira (Grita): You're a merc like us then?

Maddy (Yaae): I guess so.

Maira (Grita): Well since it looks like we can help each other out, how about we split the profit?

Maddy (Yaae) Uh, sure, I don't think I can do it all myself, especially if there are any more of those bugs.

Heidi (Zarasti): We kinda saved you huh?

Maddy (Yaae): Yes, thanks for that. Could I use the med bot to heal everyone?

Cesar: Your medbot has a limited number of heals. It's five before it will need another healing reload pack, but it could heal up to five people now.

Maddy: I'm going to use one now on myself then, since I only have 1 HP.

Cesar: Ok you'll need to find a place to lie down.

Maddy (Yaae): I'm going inside the ship to find a bed or something.

Maira (Grita): That ship there? Are you sure it's safe?

Maddy (Yaae): Or back at my ship.

Maira (Grita): Where is your ship?

Maddy (Yaae): Down that tube.

Maira (Grita): I think we saw it when we landed. Ours is down that tube. Why don't you come with us and rest. We can protect you if any of those Roaches come after you.

Maddy (Yaae): Ok thanks.

Justin (Xoragol): How about you try a bit of the soup I've been working on. I have a feeling after that battle everyone is hungry?

Evan (Fanvo): I'll eat anything, I'm about to drop dead...

Justin: *laughs* Xoragol will get ingredients from the kitchen and whip up something for everyone to enjoy.

Cesar: Ok roll cooking.

Justin: *rolls* Success.

Cesar: Good job, so basically whatever you were trying to accomplish with your soup works, and it's very tasty.

Justin: I wanted to cook some of the Gre'kin spice with the mystery meat I got last time we gathered supplies.

Cesar: It sounds gross but tastes heavenly.

Justin: *laughs*

Evan (Fanvo): Thank you, what are these crunchy bits?

Justin: I'm not sure.

*scattered laughter*

Maddy: I'll ask Diaz to heal everyone that got hurt.

Maira (Grita): I'll take her to the medbay.

Cesar: Ok you lay down on the cot there and Diaz hovers over you.

(D1A2) Healing commencing please remain still.

So Yaae you can gain two HP.

Maddy: Nice, up to three. Anyone else?

Heidi (Zarasti): Me next, but we can use some of our own medical supplies.

Maddy: Ok

Cesar: What's your max HP?

Heidi: Six.

Cesar: Ok heal one HP.

Maddy: Won't you heal more with the bot?

Cesar: She only has six so it's a smaller amount no matter what.

Maddy: Ok.

Evan: Fanvo will use the medbay too.

Cesar: Ok you have how many HP?

Evan: Eleven.

Cesar: Ok heal two HP. Anyone else?

Justin: No I think that's it.

Cesar: Ok subtract one med pack from your ship inventory. Then you hear (COMPUTER) MOTION DETECTED.

Heidi (Zarasti): From the space station? Where?

Cesar (COMPUTER): 300 meters.

Maira (Grita) we need a map of this place, not sure-

Maddy (Yaae): I have a map. Cesar, do you still have it?

Cesar: Yeah, Yaae is able to pull up this map on her datapad.

Heidi (Zarasti): Can I borrow it to load it into our computer?

Maddy (Yaae): Sure.

Heidi (Zarasti): I don't have to roll for that do I?

Cesar: Well, when you start loading you hear-

(COMPUTER) Access denied, file locked.

Heidi (Zarasti): Could I hack it?

Cesar: Sure, roll it.

Heidi: *rolls* Oh shit 99.

Cesar: Interesting. Ok here's what happens. You're using your computer terminal to hack and then the ship's emergency alarm goes on, including the emergency lights.

Maira (Grita): Zarasti, what the hell are you doing?

Evan: *laughs*

Heidi (Zarasti): Sorry G, just a bit of a problem. Cesar, can I fix it?

Cesar: You'll have to replace one of the fuses. So basically lose 5 credits.

Heidi: Ugh, ok.

Cesar: But as... hmm make a Smarts Check.

Heidi: *rolls* Shit ninety one, fail.

Cesar: Really? Ok, so you know it's somewhere in this direction according to the computer and the map and where you should be, but you're not sure where.

Heidi (Zarasti): Anyone want to get their butt kicked by some more roaches?

Maddy (Yaae): Hell no.

Evan (Fanvo): What about the bodies, we didn't even check them for valuables.

Heidi (Zarasti): They're bugs, they don't have creds.

Evan (Fanvo): We've never seen anything like them. Maybe they could be worth something on the black market.

Maira (Grita): It's worth a look.

Heidi (Zarasti): Oh jeeze. What's the use of more credits whe. you get swallowed by a giant roach?

Evan: Uh, comeon.

Justin (Xoragol): You don't look so good Fanvo. Have some more soup.

Maira (Grita): We need to rest for a few days.

Maddy (Yaae): I need to tell the mining colony what happened. Tell them about the roaches. Can I use your radio? Mine got damaged when I landed.

Maira (Grita): Uh sure.

Cesar: When you try to radio the Zynium Mining Corporation on Zanjo I, it's no use. The asteroid field is interfering. That's why Deemo gave you the long range communication device.

Maddy (Yaae): I guess we should go back then, bring one of the bug corpses. Maybe the company will pay me for that.

Evan (Fanvo): There's zynium here. We can't leave.

Maira (Grita): Well we should at least rest for a few days. We are in no shape to fight.

Heidi: Do you think the Mining Corporation could send another group to get the ore?

Maddy (Yaae): Uh, no I don't think so.

Cesar: Maddy how about you roll a Smarts check.

Maddy: Uh ok *rolls* Fifty-four.

Cesar: Does that pass?

Maddy: Oh I don't know...

Heidi: What's your Smarts... thirteen, times five is sixty-five.

Cesar: Ok so you know that your parents were sent by the company and they didn't send you until you went looking for them. You're not sure how many people they had sent before. Because of how much this is worth they would probably send someone else, but you're not sure when. If you don't message back, they don't know what happened to you.

I think I'll call it for tonight, give you all some time to think if you really want to go back in there.

Evan: We have to go back, there's all that zynium.

Heidi: Enough with the zynium!

Maddy: There's a whole map we haven't explored.

Cesar: *laughs and presses stop on recording*

"Good game everyone," Cesar said with a smile, stacking up his books and gathering his dice into a small leather pouch.

"Next time Cesar you just might get us," Heidi said angrily.

"I'm not really trying for a TPK."

"Could have fooled me."

"What's a TPK?" I asked.

"Total Party Kill."

"Oh shit. You wouldn't try to do that would you?"

"Combat can be pretty deadly in this system. Those creatures you were up against can be pretty fierce, but you handled them well."

"Barely," Justin said.

"I better get going," Evan said, "I have early class tomorrow."

"No problem," Cesar said standing up. He hit the garage door opener button on the wall. The sound of the door rolling up was loud as the overhead light went on and a rush of cold air filtered in. Evan hugged Cesar goodbye as he stood, and then Justin gave Cesar goodbye hug. Evan and Justin walked up to me.

"It was good m-meeting you Maddy," Evan said, smiling.

"Thanks, you too."

"Good seeing you Maddy," Justin said, giving me a small hug.

"See you in class Justin," I smiled.

"Uh, how long have you been playing Heidi?" I asked as she packed away her stuff.

"With Cesar? Only about a year. But I've played in high school too."

"That's lit. I didn't really know about games like this until just a few months ago."

"Sweet, guess I'll see you next week then?" Heidi said, standing up with her bag.

"Uh, yeah?" I replied.

"I'm going too, see you later Maddy, it was good to meet you," Maira said, her hand outstretched.

"Oh thanks, you too," I replied, shaking it. I grabbed some of the empty beers on the table and set them into a tall container of empties.

"How do you think everything went? Did you have fun?" Cesar asked. I took a second before answering, looking over the folks that were walking away towards their cars.

"I'll be honest, I'm not sure everyone likes me, but I had lots of fun."

"They might take a little time to open up," he said, grabbing a broom, and starting to sweep up chips and bottle caps.

"Yeah I understand," I said, grabbing more trash and bottles from the table.

"Thanks for helping me clean," he said.

"No problem."

12