At Their Mercy

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Have fun?"

"It was alright," They very nearly answered in unison. The sadness was evident. I didn't really know what to say.

"Why is there a box wearing a seat belt in your back seat?" Lina asked with a smile.

"Safety first, obviously," I turned my head to give her a faux pretentious look.

"That was ironically the catch phase of our sex ed teacher," Kat joked, followed by dual short laughter.

"Why is that ironic?" I wondered.

Lina leaned in close, cupping her hand conspiratorially, Kat leaned in, holding back a laugh, "Rumor was she got knocked up by a married man, halfway through sophomore year."

"Lesson learned," Kat added.

Kat leaned past both of us to the back seat, hand reaching for the cake box. I tickled her ribs for a second and she immediately shot back to the front seat, hands comically in some kind of kung-fu chop pose. Lina giggled as Kat playfully started chopping at my shoulder.

"You'll see it soon, don't spoil the surprise." I pulled out of the lot and said, "Time to go burn down a hospital." They giggled.... Softly.

They were leaning with each other, giggling about something I could only pick out bits and pieces of over the radio. A song came to an end, and I heard Lina, "It's probably a good thing he didn't come to the party."

Initially I felt a little hurt, thinking she didn't want me there. Like they had only asked out of some obligation, but the tone of her voice and the light laughs from Kat seemed to contradict that.

"What's that?" I asked.

"She said it was probably a good thing you didn't come."

"Becca and Kim were practically drooling," Lina added.

They both laughed and made exaggerated thirsty looks at me as we were stopped at a light.

"What was it Kim said? 'Hot meat'" Lina asked Kat with a snicker.

"No, no," Kat waved her arms, "She called him Man Meat."

"My what now?" I asked exaggeratedly.

"I think it was something like she wanted a piece of that man meat," Lina joked.

"I feel objectified," I stated dryly.

Kat and Lina patted me on the shoulder. "Poor boy," they said together.

I shook my head, and we pulled up to the hospital. A short trip to the trunk to grab two more small packages. Lina and Kat play-fought over the cake box and tried to sneak peeks through the lifted top. Finally, Kat carried it, handing one wrapped present to join the other one of a similar size under Lina's arm.

The trip to Dad's room was short. We all chatted for a bit, the girls leaning down to receive hugs from Dad as he wished them happy birthdays. I pulled over the tray stand with the cake box and a small stack of presents on it. I plucked the small cake from the box, set it on the table and flicked the remote in my pocket.

"That's cute," Lina exclaimed.

Kat nodded with a grin and toyed with a candle.

"It's not the same, I know, but we can still get a couple pictures of you two."

I took the roll of photographer with my phone, snapping pictures of the two as they faked blowing out the candles, while I flipped the remote in my pocket. Dad grabbed the phone from me and took a couple similar shots with me in the frame before I set it on the tray and took a group picture with the four of us. The girls grinned lively. Not so bad, I thought to myself.

They showed big smiles as they thanked me with a sandwiching hug. They gripped tightly and laid their heads against my chest before they broke free to separate the presents. For my part, I had some inkling on what to give each of them, but as to the specifics, I enlisted a little help from Dad. He gave me a list of books for Lina and a list of computer games for Kat.

They showed knowing grins when they opened them. I snapped pictures of them while they opened their gifts from Dad. A couple of summer dresses joined a small pile beside each of them as they reached their hands out, holding gifts for each other like they were terrified of what the other would give them. There had to be some inside joke here that they would give each other funny or embarrassing gifts.

They both ripped away the paper and peeked in at the same time. Luckily, they were side by side, so I could keep them in the same camera shot. The boxes opened a bit more, before they each took a good look, gained a little red in the cheeks, and closed the boxes. Kat and Lina looked at each other with a fake fighting look before bursting into laughter.

I raised an eyebrow, they responded together, "Underwear," and resumed laughing.

***

As we drove home, the twins singing along to a song from their phone on the Bluetooth, I felt that their "alright" birthday had turned out a little better. But things rarely go great for long.

Not two days later Dad passed in the night. We went through the necessary motions when we found out the next day. Arrangements were made. The girls fought through tears to make calls to friends and family. I took over for them halfway through the list, introducing myself to many people I barely knew of. A few knew who I was, offered their condolences to me, as well as the twins.

That night, we fell asleep on the couch after staying up late streaming anything that came to mind. I woke with a sore back, carefully extracting Lina's head from my shoulder and Kat's from my leg. I somehow managed to make it to the kitchen without waking them.

We all seemed to be going through the motions on the day that followed. I did my best to hold back what bubbled under the surface, through the reading of the will. The girls cried openly, often reaching out to me, or one another, for a comforting hug, while I reconciled with myself the fact that I had barely had any time to get to know him.

I went to bed early, but I lay awake for a long while thinking about him, and the funeral that was coming the next day. When I woke, I was surprised to find the twins curled up on either side of me. I plucked a pair of arms that reached out from their own blankets. I showered. I dressed and did my best to trick myself, for a moment, that it was just like any other day.

I failed repeatedly.

At the funeral, I let out the tears I was holding in, as the twins joined, with my hands in theirs. I said my peace, and he was laid to rest as the priest spoke his words. It was a nice ceremony. I joined in small talk with his friends that introduced themselves to me along with their condolences. For the life of me, I couldn't remember more than a handful of them after the fact.

Chapter 6:

The 31st came. I handed out candy, dressed in an old school Adam West Batman costume, while the twins ran a horror movie marathon. The costume was something Dad had bought, but never had the chance to wear. They conspired to make me wear it. I could not say no.

They ran upstairs to change as I handed out candy to some late arrivals, returning as I emptied my bowl to the last two kids. The girls smiled down at me and pranced in their costumes. Closing the door, I caught them coming down the stairs.

Black tights and short heels peeked out beneath their coats. The matching cat ears on their heads bounced as they made the last steps and pulled up a bit away. They made cute little gestures with their paws and gave a short little shake of their tails. A grin came to my face.

"Sure you don't want to come with?" Kat asked.

"You don't want this old man dragging the party down."

Lina poked me in the side, followed by another from Kat.

"Later Batman," they said goodbye together, as I watched them walk through the door to their friend Kim's car.

I gave a wave and closed the door, trying to shut away the images in my mind of how beautiful they looked. I spent some time sketching to clear my head, as Friday the 13th played in the background. I made a quick dinner and spent an entirely boring evening on the couch.

It was getting late when my phone rang. Lina's number popped up and I answered. "Hello."

"Alex..." Lina paused, "can you give us a ride home?"

I stood, grabbing my coat and my keys, "On my way in a sec. You guys okay?"

I heard a slight slurring to her words, "There's this guy. Kat's ex. He's been hanging around most of the night."

"Anything I need to worry about?"

"Nah," she added, "I'm on standby with a swift kick to the nuts loaded if need be. It's just... We want to come home, but Kim can't drive."

I made my way out to the car quickly. A light snow started falling as I made my worried way to the address she texted.

Pulling up, fifteen minutes later, the girls were already walking down the front steps. Kat leaned on her sister, arm over her shoulder. Both had a certain unsteady gait.

I grabbed the door for them, and they shuffled into the backseat. When I sat back down in the driver's seat, Kat leaned forward, planting a kiss on my cheek as she hugged me around the seat. I could smell the alcohol, and I did my best not to play the big brother act.

"Thanks Batman," Kat slurred as she pulled away.

Lina repeated the act, similar slurring to her words.

I sighed and leaned back before speaking. "I'm not..." I barely stopped myself before I said your dad and launched into some lecture. "I'm not going to get on you about the alcohol but," I looked back at them, "Are you two okay?"

They sent out sincere smiles and nodded.

When we got home, they kicked off their shoes before jumping under a pair of blankets on the couch and curling up next to each other like cats. I moved to sit on the end, but Lina scooted to make room.

"You two should eat something... Want a sandwich?" I asked.

Both made the same expression, nose turned up slightly.

"I don't think I could eat," Kat managed.

"You should try, trust me. You'll thank me for it in the morning," I said as I walked to the kitchen to make something for them.

"That's what she said," Kat slurred and they giggled.

I wanted to lecture them. I did not intend to let it go entirely, but I didn't want to be too harsh. What they were going through was tough. Tough enough to look to alcohol for a short reprieve. I didn't fault them for it, illegal as it was.

I returned with a couple plates and some juice. They nibbled a bit but didn't eat much as they nodded off. Maybe it'll better to talk to them tomorrow, I thought.

I shuffled them off to bed, they both ambled their way to Kat's room as I returned to my own to pull off my costume and sleep. I was before I knew it, but I woke up soon after to a light knock and the hall light streaming through my cracked door.

They stood there, bare legs poking beneath their blankets, trying to see if I was awake. Seeing me sit up Lina asked sleepily, "Can we stay here?"

I wanted to comment on the fact that it was fast becoming a nightly occurrence. At least they decided to ask this time, I thought, before groggily realizing that I likely never woke the other times. We didn't really talk about it. I would wake up before them and we'd all just go about our day.

I lifted the edge of my comforter as an invitation and they snuggled in on either side, laying their heads on my chest.

I woke to a kink in my neck to see Lina had stolen my pillow. On the other side, Kat lay wrapped around my comforter and her own blanket. I sighed with a smirk, gave them both a peck on their foreheads and got up to make coffee.

I took a quick trip back upstairs, with a stop at the medicine cabinet in the bathroom. I placed two bottles of water and the bottle of acetaminophen on the nightstand. I grabbed a set of clothes and hopped in the shower. Clean and dry, I glanced into the room on my way downstairs to see them still asleep.

I made some pancakes and bacon. I was readying myself to run upstairs to wake them up when I heard their unsteady shuffle downstairs. They yawned, one after the other, and took seats at the table with a light groan.

"You find the Tylenol?" I asked. They nodded.

"And the water," Lina replied.

"Thanks," added Kat.

I carefully prepared and delivered my short little lecture on the dangers of drinking. They'd heard it before, no doubt, but they listened and nodded along anyways.

"Next time," I sighed, "Make it a point to have me come along. Or have a couple friends over here." The drinking age may be 21, but they were adults, able to make their own decisions, poor or not as they may be. "I'd rather know you're somewhere safe."

Kat teased, "Awww! Big brother."

Lina joined her in laughing. "So does that mean you'll buy it for us?"

"I will purchase some alcohol for myself," I gave them an exaggerated sigh, "What happens to it once it's here is, at times, out of my control." They giggled as I gave them a warning, "Keep it within reason though, eh?"

They nodded as I wondered if I was making the right choice. They seemed happy about it. I was relieved when I discovered that, even a week later, nothing had been touched aside from a few beers I drank.

Chapter 7:

November came, along with my birthday on the 13th. They threw me a little party, complete with a slightly tilted cake, reminiscent of the one I'd baked for them. The presents were nice, charcoals and a box of sketch pads. We had a nice night, the three of us, together.

I think it was that night that I finally decided I didn't want to leave. If I'm being honest, I'd had the thought a few times before. That night though, I formulated a small plan and brought it up to them.

A couple days later, I was driving home to pack up my things and get out of my lease. A small moving truck delivered everything the next day.

And just like that, I stumbled into a home at twenty-three. Not to sound so pretentious, as if I never had a home. But growing up, home was chilly. It was different here. Warm and welcoming. I'd found two friends, two sisters and some common interest.

It wasn't all selfish though. They didn't want to see me leave. I don't know that they would have a great go of it had I returned to my old life. I tried not to think about it much more than knowing they needed me, and they were overjoyed to see me stay.

***

Snow fell and a white Christmas came. We did our best to do up the house, rummaging through decorations stored away in the basement. We picked up a small tree and spent half a day making the place festive.

The night before, I received a package along with a nice card signed, "Love, mom." Inside the small box were a nice assortment of paintbrushes, nice ones too. They were better than most of the ones I had on hand.

The twins smiled and snapped a couple photos while I gazed deeply at the gift.

"That's nice," Lina's statement snapped me out of my thoughts.

"It's the first time she's given me anything art related since I was a teenager," I thought aloud.

"That's weird," Kat said, "Considering you went to school for it."

"It is precisely that I went to school for it, I think."

She tilted her head while Lina asked, "Think that means she's softened to it now?"

"Or she just feels guilty and doesn't know a better way," I mused.

They gave up their seats on the couch, walking over to give me a hug, sharing conspiring smiles. Today they dressed cutely, in white tights and skirts with matching elf hats. Kat moved from the armrest of the chair to my lap, like I was some mall Santa after I leaned over to grab their presents.

They both played up their little childish games, saying how good they were this year. I played along just a bit, not wanting to be a Grinch.

They smiled as I took pictures posing with their gifts, then ran off together to try on a couple of the shirts. Kat and Lina returned a few minutes later grinning with an exaggerated twirl. The tops were simple button up dressy kind of blouses in different colors. They looked like two perfect little elves.

When my turn came, I was greeted by Kat leading me by the hands downstairs. As we neared the last steps, I nearly tripped when Lina put her hands over my eyes. I stopped suddenly and she pressed up against my back with a chuckle. She held me tightly as I was led to the end of the basement opposite the bar.

"Keep your eyes closed a sec," Lina urged as she moved off to my side."

A couple seconds passed, and Kat spoke, "Okay open them."

"Tada," they said together.

Standing between their cute little game show-girl poses was a simple little art studio set-up.

"This is awesome, thank you," I expressed my gratitude sincerely. They jumped to my sides, each throwing an arm around my back, giving a little squeeze like a hug, which I returned.

That is when they both tilted their heads to the ceiling. I followed their eye line to a small bunch of mistletoe above our heads. They chuckled. Lina and Kat presented their cheeks to me. My turn to the right saw me placing a light peck on Lina's left cheek. My attempt to do the same for Kat met with some unforeseeable circumstances.

Lina poked Kat's rib, she turned her head as I moved in, and we kissed. I was stunned but regained composure quick enough to, hopefully, not make it seem weird.

"Perv," Lina teased. Interestingly, Kat blushed, and Lina seemed to sulk for the barest of moments.

I tried not to put too much thought into it during a festive dinner. The atmosphere was truly special as we joked and told stories, but my mind kept running back to the kiss. It pulled me out of the conversation for a few moments, while I masked my introspection behind a couple glasses of wine. They joined me, after saying they were staying in tonight.

I felt a little itch inside, thinking about the studio the twins had set up for me. I had everything I needed, but I hadn't quite figured out what I wanted to paint. The girls bundled up and led me out to the porch for a bit. I was feeling a little warm, so I didn't resist.

Outside, with the alcohol taking a little effect, I fought back an urge for a cigarette. I had done my best to quit since arriving, for all the obvious reasons, along with the twins' not so subtle suggestions. Not to mention the leers they'd add when I occasionally cheated.

As I looked across the street, from the porch swing, I found a little bit of inspiration. We went back inside; I grabbed my new brushes and some paints I had stored away in my room and headed for the basement.

A small canvas took on the glow of the little park dusted in a fresh coating of wintery white. I hadn't even noticed they'd been there until I felt a hand on my shoulder.

"Where can we hang it?" Lina asked.

"Could put it in the living room, right there by the window that looks out to it," Kat posed.

"I don't even have a frame," I teased.

"Get one then," Lina shot back with a tongue-in-cheek smile.

Chapter 8:

Change happened slowly. We gained a certain comfort around one another. I spent most of the wintery day downstairs painting. Kat and Lina came down to let me know dinner was ready. They peeked at my paintings, making quiet comments to each other.

Dinner was over and I sat down at the TV, ready to start a movie. The twins ran off to get changed, returning with blankets around their shoulders. A glance at the gap between, as they pranced down the stairs revealed a lot, and very little of it clothing. Underneath the blankets, they both wore panties and a revealing top. Kat had on black boy shorts with a matching sports bra and Lina wore a pink pair in the same style with a skintight spaghetti top that revealed nearly as much as her sister.

They took their seats on either side, making an apparent show of revealing their legs before settling in beside me. I couldn't control my eyes. I couldn't look away.

I shot Kat a raised eyebrow, to mask my own thoughts.

"What? It's warm in here," she reasoned.

"I didn't say anything."

"You were not saying anything very loudly," Lina poked my side.

"Don't the blankets kinda take a little wind out of that argument," I teased.

"I reserve the right to be cold at any moment," Kat joked.