Avarice Desperation Valley Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He emerged from his resting place to survey the vista around him. Continuing leisurely down the slope, with all the sure footedness and grace of a mountain cat. At once sighting Father Andrew far below, tending to his ever wilting crops, and big Marcus collecting fire wood from the few bedraggled trees. The two nameless boys were foraging in the tip, with Selene yet nowhere to be seen. In no time at all he was in the valley and drinking greedily from the canvas water bag. Its welcome coolness running seductively down his chin, to trickle over his well formed breast. Lost in this simple pleasure, he gave a sudden start, realizing a hand had reached out to clutch blindly at his leg.

Looking down he beheld a pitiful sight, a frightened man, slight of build, filthy, torn and bleeding. "Help me would you?...." He tailed off, hesitation in his plea. "Please Sir, please," He choked out. "Water Sir, please? They..... They....." Carlos could see that the fellow's reason was failing fast, and he would need to quiet him quickly to avoid any unwelcome attention. So he shoved the water at the unfortunate as swiftly as he could. The man drank thirstily, so thirstily that Carlos had to take the water away before he made himself sick.

Before the wretch could panic any further, Carlos squatted down beside him and said mustering his most soothing tone. "I won't hurt you mate, you may not believe me but I am not here by free choice either. My name is Carlos De Sade, so who are you?" This seemed to have the desired effect, and the battered captive took a deep breath and replied. "Me? Err... I'm Warren Mc Callister." As he squinted upwards to see his savior better. Carlos quickly appraised Warren's situation, all the while scanning the camp to see they were unobserved. His bloody back would most certainly be smarting by tomorrow, but the wounds there were fairly superficial. Of more concern though was the cut behind the right knee, expertly placed to cripple, cruelly severing the tendons beyond repair. It was bleeding bad and by the look of things had been for quite some time.

"Is it bad? I can't walk on it, will it be okay?" Warren implored.

"It will be just fine," Carlos lied, no point letting him have the bad news now, let him recover a few days first. He would have to accept it in time. "Your eyes, can you see me okay?" Carlos added, thinking that perhaps he was also concussed.

"I need my glasses, I can't see too well without them, I hid them, buried them I did, in the corner in the sand where we all were held. Could you get them for me, could you please?" He pleaded.

"When I can, probably not till tomorrow though." Carlos assured him. "But, for now I think you should rest, and I will try to get a girl I know to come and patch you up. She'll bring you food and something warm."

"I'll remember this," Warren said. "I won't forget, I'll pay you back someday."

"Don't get your hopes up too high, mate, remember I really have no more say in things around here, than you do, but I'll do my best okay. I gotta go now we shouldn't be seen talking. I'll see what I can do." With that he was gone, not risking a backwards glance.

Carlos didn't really know if he could do what he had promised he thought guiltily. Talking to Raissa would be close to impossible with all the men about. However he told himself if it was possible he would try. Besides it had occurred to him that if Bennett had spared the man it was a certainty that he possessed some knowledge or skill that Bennett wanted to use. So surely then, Warren would not be left to die.

The shadows were growing long now, with another fiery sunset imminent on the distant horizon, Carlos looked on with undisguised longing toward that far away place of possible freedom. Surely out there somewhere there must be a better place. I'll either get there, or die trying he promised himself as he turned, his heart heavy toward the darkly looming cave.

The evening was for the most part like many others, but the warriors seemed more heartened than usual with the promise of better spoils to come. There was also a fine feast laid out, even a roast pig. Though Carlos knew he would see none of that choice meat, and there was drink aplenty. Many of the men had already embarked on a drunken spree, and were eagerly devouring the food.

Carlos sat in his usual place, again awaiting his master's pleasure. Silent resentment dogging his every minute spent at Bennett's feet. Lucy looked tired, but Raissa as usual so full of life was bustling to and fro, catching Carlos' baleful eyes at every opportunity. She was naturally beautiful, he reflected, with her tawny smooth skin, flaxen hair, breasts so soft and white. One of the only reasons besides revenge and escape he could think of, for wanting to stay alive. A pang of guilt assailed him then, why then don't I love her? If she is all of these things to me then why do I not feel love? Perhaps he too was no better than the rest, indulging in his selfish gratification of his lusts, not caring who he hurt. Try as he might and feeling as guilty as he did, he knew that what he shared with Raissa was really no more than a need, but did she feel the same? He prayed that she did.

Sven was comfortably reclined on some thick furs, with a silver tankard in one hand. He had already taken his fill of the delicious spread, but still picked idly at the remains of his meal. He and his brother Aran were both engaged in idle banter, but for all his seemingly relaxed appearance he was very alert to the many other things going on around the fire that evening. Taking in many subtleties with a practiced eye.

For a while now the old campaigner had felt a sense of private unease, for he was positive, although as of yet he had no evidence, that there was definitely something going on between his woman, and Bennett's pretty boy. She was being constantly watched, knowing with all certainty that she would have to slip up soon. Then there was the irksome matter of Bennett's pretty, toy boy. Sven could plainly see the deep seated desire for revenge burning in the young bucks eyes. Dangerous he thought, why the hell can't he see it? The man gives him too many liberties and one day he'll be sorry; as he stroked his whiskered chin.

Unsettling also the attitude in Renard? What did he sense there, fear, hesitation, what was it exactly? Ever since being delegated to the patrol this morning he hadn't been the same. Sven casually swept his grey gaze to where Renard was sitting alone, repairing his crossbow. He was sure even now that he hadn't imagined it. Best he bring this to Bennett's attention when they could confer in private.

The evening wore on and it grew dark, the air chill. All Carlos could concentrate on by this stage was the overwhelming desire for food. The sadistic bastard was going to make him wait, and he'd get no alcohol either tonight he realized.

There was movement in the cave's dark maw, and there crouched Selene. Unnerving how she could just manage to appear, and disappear all so suddenly. Again Carlos could feel her dark judgment appraising him, and finding him wanting. He really wished that she would just go away to wherever it was she had come from. Something about the girl really bothered him, almost frightened him even. Again wandering back to, and reviewing his mysterious dream.

After what seemed like an eternity he was finally bade to eat. The rabbit stew with a few poor vegetables was divine, the bread and cheese delicious, and the milk, nectar of the gods. He ate till he could eat no more, being so hungry initially he did not taste the food. Only savoring its goodness when he was quite some way into the meal.

The remainder of the night passed without incident, the talk, boasts and drinking went on well into the early, chill hours. For the most part after his satisfying repast Carlos dozed, warm and comfortable by the fire. On occasion he would look up and meet Selene's scalding gaze, other times it was Raissa's honeyed sweetness, or feel Bennett's possessive hand's caress. Soon he thought, mind half fuzzy with sleep, he would again have to go and perform his dreaded and disgusting duty. However for now he would relish the comfort while he could, and worry about unpleasantness later.

12