Avarice Desperation Valley Ch. 17

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"He says he has a message for you." Sven related, as he pushed the man to his knees roughly before his immense leader.

Bennett took a lengthy assessing look at the man kneeling before him in the dust, he was hard, strongly built, somewhat battle scarred and did not appear unduly afraid as his eyes met Bennett's levelly. "Speak then, and quickly." Bennett commanded in a powerful voice.

"My name is Captain Harris Sir." The man stated flatly. Bennett eyed him coldly as his men gathered around him in a formidable knot, all present hopeful of some sport at the expense of this rash intruder. Harris to his credit kept on, steely exterior masking any traces of fear, for he was a trained soldier, he had a job to do and he knew he had to make this interview believable.

"I come with a proposal Sir." Attempting and succeeding to appeal to Bennett's vanity by using a title of respect and inclining his head to his superior before he continued. "As you can already see the situation within the city grows more intolerable by the day, the people riot, food is short, and our leader is on his deathbed. His successor is an unpopular man, his surgeon Victor Krosse, yet he clings to power. At this time he still has the balance of the military behind him, but there are those amongst us that would welcome a better leader. We are soldiers, we care not who we fight for, we only ask to be led by one we choose and can respect."

Harris then paused allowing the leather clad giant sitting before him time to take in all he said, and assess the effect his words were having on the now hushed gathering.

Bennett carefully looked at the man and finally he spoke. "I take it you are asking for my leadership and assistance?"

"Yes, Sir I am?" Harris replied, hoping Bennett had taken the bait. "With the addition of your army Sir we would easily make short work of Krosse and his followers. I head the foot soldiers, some fifty men, thirty of which are loyal to my cause and can be trusted." Bennett turned to Nathan, the boy ever in the big man's shadow, waiting, eager to serve.

"Get our guest some food and wine, I would be interested to hear more of what he has to say." Nathan hurried away to do as he was bid.

Harris felt the worst of his nervousness wash away as Bennett urged him to sit and join him by the fire for further talks. It appeared to the veteran soldier that Bennett had taken the bait. Though Harris when he accepted the risky mission had known that he could have just as easily been cruelly interrogated or killed on sight.

However someone had to volunteer and he had done so without hesitation, to fail was something he did not dare contemplate as there was too much at stake. All Harris had to do now was play this subterfuge carefully and Bennett and his dangerous rabble would be drawn into the trap. So he sat, ate, and drank amongst the group of intimidating warriors, detailing his plans long into the early hours. To finally slip back within the fort's walls as the first faint glow of dawn graced the eastern skyline.

*****

Bennett came toward Nathan, a length of chain in his powerful hand, and although the big man's actions seemed casual enough the lad sensed that something bad was about to happen. He had been on edge all day as the camp was dismantled around him, without quite knowing the reason for his dread. Fear drove him then, and against his better reason, he dove swiftly to one side and made to flee the camp, and his Master.

Bennett lunged for Nathan grabbing nothing but air, quickly recovering his balance with a warrior's grace that belied his immense bulk and stature, sprinting after the boy. The chase was short lived as Bennett rapidly gained ground, and in the space of a few heartbeats Bennett was on top of Nathan, pushing him with great force to the sand. Winding the slight, terrified boy severely with his almost three hundred pounds of unbridled power.

Bennett was angry at being disobeyed, and grabbed Nathan roughly by his now unruly, and lengthy, light blond hair, pulling him to his feet. The boy cowered, fearful of the punishment for which he had only seconds to wait to be administered. It came as a powerful stinging slap to the face which brought tears to his jade colored eyes. "Come when I say!" Bennett roared, slapping him hard yet again, bringing forth more silent tears and redness to Nathan's usually pale cheeks.

Hand in hair the unfortunate Nathan was escorted back to the now mostly demolished campsite, as the men readied themselves for the final assault that this evening would invariably bring. Bennett chaining the lad to the base of a large immovable boulder, and fastening the other end tightly around Nathan's smallish neck with a large padlock.

This accomplished Bennett promptly walked away to be amongst his men, and delegate his final instructions before the evening's work began. Giving no thought at all to the terrified Nathan's misery, and quite impervious to the boy's hurt green eyes, glittering with daggers of dark betrayal. Nathan was numb, hardly believing that his Master valued him so little, that he would be left behind to be claimed by the victors, if at all. As he stared after his protector and Lord's retreating back, getting no satisfaction from the sight.

12