Rise - The Fallen Ch. 01

Story Info
The beginning of a serious, yet lust-filled journey.
10.7k words
4.83
7.4k
18
0

Part 1 of the 2 part series

Updated 06/11/2023
Created 09/03/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Nevermore had the sun shone since the day it began. Months it had been, and yet, not a single ray passed through those heavy clouds. The dark skies overhead mirrored the minds behind the distant eyes that peered up.

Corpses laid strewn out across the land. Grey, thin flesh clung to their yellowed bones. Crusty black spots stained their clothes and the surface they died upon. Maggots filled their once lively eyes. Insects buzzed and swarmed around what the vultures left behind.

These were not the remains of the innocent or the good, however. These were the accomplishments of the few. The results of valiant efforts made by valiant men and women. Unfortunately, most of those men and women no longer remained. Not as they were, at least.

Alongside the innocent and good, those men and women walked as the undead.

No one knew how or where it all began. Even to the greatest minds this remained the greatest mystery. Theories were made, hypotheses thrown about, but no conclusions.

There was no time. Cities of all sizes were overrun within days. Nor was there silence. How could one think when screams clawed at their ears and piles of bodies rammed against their doors?

Hiding was all that could be done. Their numbers were too great. For all the undead that were slain, that number did not even total to be a fraction. Not only that, but those that managed to fell an undead only did so by luck. No one truly knew how to stop the undead. If they did, they had not the chance to share. For there was not enough time.

To say all hope was lost was not to over exaggerate. Across all realms civilizations collapsed. No man, no woman, no child, no race was spared. By the undead or living. Only the kindest of hearts or the most foolish offered a hand. One could say to live was to condemn oneself to doom. To deny the inevitable, thereby delaying it and prolonging their suffering.

Despite all this, there still remained one man. Although he was no sun - incapable of bringing light to the world or the different realms - he could perhaps share what he had with others. Through them and their combined efforts, perhaps then, light could shine once more.

The child ran beside her mother and father. She wished as much air filled her lungs as fear filled her eyes. Behind the three sprinted an insurmountable number of undead. More added to their numbers as the chase continued. Not to be surprised, as their strained screeches could be heard from across half the city.

The family had heard word from the first survivor they had seen since before the invasion. He spoke of safe refuge in the city palace. Supposedly, survivors along with many guards and even one of the church's magistrates took shelter there. A safe refuge was tempting, but not enough to leave the confines of one's home, especially since the undead knew not of their presence. Plenty of food to last nearly a year, however, was more than enough reason.

More than enough to push them out the door. More than enough to regret it. Even more so after a wizard joined the chase. Not just any wizard either, as if one did not already spell doom, but an elf.

Even the child knew their end was imminent.

The three managed to cut a corner and break line-of-sight. While the core of the group lost them, the wizard did not. It chased vehemently, eyes split open, mouth torn into a gaping hole, tattered robe flailing behind. Roaring orbs of flames hurled from its staff. Explosions erupted from the rooftops above, walls beside, and ground beneath.

Breaking line-of-sight momentarily and managing a small lead, the family barged into an empty home where they took refuge. Efforts to remain silent in hopes of the undead passing by went unsuccessful. For the wizard had seen where they went. Its screams were sure to bring the rest of the horde. Collapsing the front with an explosion was sure to keep its prey from leaving.

"Daddy, what are we going to do?" the child sobbed, burying her face into her father's stomach.

"Just stay close, dear. Stay close," he told her, wrapping a protective arm around her.

More explosions fired off. More undead closed in from far off. The three backed further until they could no more. In each other's arms, they quivered in utter fear.

Then, all was silent, save for their breaths. Even the distant screeches made little noise when all that mattered were the slow footsteps out front.

"Gods save us," the mother whispered.

Suddenly, a heavy thud hit the ground. The three inside paused. No one made a sound. They stared through a small opening in the debris. That was all that allowed view to the outside. The family waited with bated breath. Until...

"Hello in there!" A chippy young man called, springing up into view. He peered in as much as he could. "The Mayas' home, huh? Not a bad pick if you were out shopping for junk." He chuckled as he surveyed the interior, reminiscing on the past. His attention quickly returned to the family of three. "You're okay to run now. The wizard's dead," he assured with a radiant smile. "There's a door in the back just over there to your right. You can leave through there. If you're headed for the palace, stay off the main roads. Stay in the alleys and keep walking straight from here. Past Hernon's shop you'll want to make a right. Continue until you see a rickety old shack, then make a left. You'll see a grand ol' pointy rooftop. Go towards that and you'll be upon the palace in no time. Round to the back and they'll let you in. Make sure no undead see you."

"What about you?" the child asked.

Distant screeches echoed closer. Undead scrambled into view. Glancing their way only for a moment, the young man turned back with a smile. "Nothing to worry about, love! I'll keep them distracted. You folk just make it there safe! Remember. Straight through the alleys. Hernon's. Old shack. Then pointy rooftop. Back of the palace. Good day!"

At that the young man was off. Running in the opposite direction, he made sure to shout and flail his arms wildly to draw the undead. His rowdy actions drew more attention than initially anticipated. Undead or not, few would have been able to resist chasing him down for the infuriating banging of his sword and shield, along with his incessant shouting.

On the bright side, the family's chances of encountering more undead lessened the longer he kept up his antics. Most would have quaked in their boots were they he. For half the city would be upon him in quick time. Fortunately for the young man, he knew the city of Klisely well.

Quick on his feet, the young man broke line-of-sight around corners repeatedly and abruptly. His actions caused the hordes of undead to disperse many times until they were no more than several per group. Just as dispersed as the hordes, same were contraptions and traps made by the young man. An outsider would think the city a place of torture with all the ropes and chains. Or perhaps even a place of bauchery. While the young man was not opposed to the latter, that was not the case.

Before long he was free of the ravenous undead. Breaking line-of-sight one last time, he triggered a contraption, creating a decoy. Bottles dropped and shattered elsewhere, causing enough noise to draw the undead away. With the allotted time he quickly ducked into a hole in a wall. One of which he prepared himself, stocked with enough supplies to last several days.

The young man covered the entrance with his shield and sighed a breath of relief. He melted into his makeshift bed. The hole was fit only for dogs, but it was enough for him. Never was he a man of material. Nor had he ever wished to be, so long as he remained at peace with himself.

Although a woman by his side wouldn't hurt. Especially during these times. She'd need to be capable to keep with him, though.

Rested as comfortably as could be, all that remained was to wait until the undead lost interest and wandered away. Though frighteningly beastly they were, every beast possessed a dormant state. It didn't take long for them to turn into shambling lost souls.

The young man closed his eyes even though he needed to get out there again. Traps and contraptions needed rearming. Supplies needed to be got. Most importantly, survivors may have needed saving. For now, he rested. Only for a short moment, though. For a short moment was all his conscience would allow. No matter how battered or tired, he would always return to aid those in need.

Before fading to black, the last thought was of that family. He truly wished the family of three made it to the palace safely.

***

"It's true!" the father insisted. "Odd fella saved us. Killed a wizard, even! Could hardly believe it had I not seen it myself."

No doubt the story was absurd. Killing an undead wizard, purposely drawing the undead's attention, and not to mention, surviving this long alone? Any other listener would have deemed it ramblings of a mad man. The two guards addressing the family of three, however, simply shared knowing glances and slight smirks. They then ushered the three into another room for rest and a meal.

Neighboring the throne room where the family was, the captain guard nudged a rather tall woman built with muscles dense as stone. Having paid no mind to anything but the map atop the table before her, she turned a curious eye his way. Glowing blonde locks elegantly rolled over her shoulder, cascading down her back.

"What?"

"Seems your man has saved more people," the captain guard smirked. "A family, from the sounds of it."

The blonde's attention immediately turned to the door, as if someone would walk through this time. "Did he?" she asked, her voice pitching higher as curiosity and admiration enveloped her - a common occurrence after hearing of another survivor praising a man who'd come to their aid.

"Sounds like it. That's probably the tenth family that he saved. Think I even heard a child prancing about with them. We'll have to pay them a visit."

"Aye. I can't remember last I saw a child's face. Gods bless their souls," the blonde whispered, bowing her head. "We must take extra care to thoroughly thank whoever it is that still remains out there."

"Oh must we?" the captain guard asked, musing the blonde with a grin.

"Why do you look at me like that?" she asked, raising a brow.

The captain guard chuckled quietly. He proceeded to speak with a puckish tone. "No reason, really. Just seems to me you're always gushing about how courageous he must be to willingly remain out there. How altruistic his soul must be for his valiant efforts in saving others. How the gods must adore him." The captain guard further heightened his playful mockery by taking on a tone expected of swooning young girls. "How strong and skilled he must be with a blade to kill so many undead."

"I never said that last part," the blonde defended, blushing ever so slightly. "Also, he's not my man."

The captain guard snickered heartily and dropped his head. Shoving a hand into the blonde's shoulder, he claimed only to be jesting. Thankfully, though brutish she may have appeared to most, Hiln was far from short-tempered. She simply brushed off her old friend's hand and laughed along, no doubt to relieve some embarrassment.

Recomposing themselves, the two returned to their task at hand.

"We were where, again?" the captain guard asked.

"Here," Hiln said, pointing at a wooden piece standing atop the map of the city. "If I'm to escape the city, we'll need two men here. One to protect the other while he keeps watch and - if needed - signals the approach or blockade of undead."

Lips straight and face smoothened, the captain guard stared down at the map with discontent. Then he looked at Hiln with dissatisfaction and possibly even frustration. He let her continue a second longer before attempting to stop her, only to have his voice muffled by her's.

"Then at least three here atop this building across the city. They'll draw in the undead by making noise should the first two spot any."

"And how do the first two notify the other three of the undead?"

"With a flag."

The captain guard solemnly nodded with pursed lips. "Right. So we have these two groups here and here. Then there's you. How many more men are required to accompany you?"

"Four. They'll need that many to watch each other when returning to the palace."

"Mm. How do you propose they return safely? Do they rely on the others watching from the buildings? Are those men to stay the distractions? If so, how do you propose we get them back safely with the entire city nipping at their toes?"

Hiln looked at her old friend and understood what his lack of enthusiasm meant. His incessant questions only made it more obvious. "What do you propose we do then, Kelik?" Hiln pressed, annoyance scratching at her throat. "We know there are others out there now. We can't remain here. We must venture out and see how everyone else fares. Only together can we overcome this."

The captain guard huffed. "How many plans have we been through?"

"Why does that matter, Kelik?"

"Because we've been through this. I can't give you my men, Hiln. This operation teeters too heavily against our favor. Not to mention the time it will take to prepare. Or the risks involved with said preparations. Give me a solid plan and you will have them. I promise you that. But you know how I value my men. You may get out. In fact, I'm sure you would. But them... I can't risk their lives."

Discontent was clear on Hiln's face. Kelik hated displeasing her, but on this one occasion he needed to stand firm. Even for an old friend he could not forsake his men. Still, he always felt the need to please her somewhat, no matter how little.

"Not everyone has hide as thick as yours," he smiled. "I doubt any blade could pierce you."

Hiln huffed heavily. Out of frustration, she turned away. "Then we must form another plan."

"Another? I'm open to suggestions. We must, however, know more. This map of Klisely - it's months old now. Roads and pathways are bound to be blocked off with debris. Those buildings - they may not even be standing anymore. If they are, who knows whether or not they're surrounded by the undead? Speaking of them, who knows where they roam? Where they're most prevalent, where they're not. These are things this map doesn't tell us."

"You're suggesting we send scouting parties?"

Kelik was quick to shut her down. "No. Not at all. You've seen what those things can do. What they are. I can't afford the risk."

"Then what? Survey what we can from the palace balcony? You know we wouldn't see far with that elevation."

Kelik did little but shrug and offer a pursed smile. "I don't know, Hiln." In his voice was the hopelessness that was so prevalent in everyone's voice.

"Please, you must lend me your men. My plan can work, I know it!"

"I know," he reassured her. "I know it can. But it's too dangerous. We speak of nine men. Nine lives. Some of which still have wives with them here now. All of which are my allies and friends. All of which will be needed should the undead ever breach the palace doors." Kelik regretted his next words, but with a deep inhale, he continued, stepping closer. "Please understand me, Hiln, when I say I cannot offer you my men with this plan."

Hiln's shoulders slumped in defeat. "Then what can you do?" she asked politely.

"Offer a friend some wisdom?"

The blonde smiled slightly at her old friend's gesture of kindness. "You? Wisdom?"

He shrugged. "I may have gotten this position because there was no one else, but make no mistake, I am worthy."

"You are," Hiln agreed with a grin.

"Heed me then when I say this venture of yours may not be worth it."

"Why do you say that?"

"That bird flew from Gravenfore to here. You know as well as I do, that is a week's worth of travel. Even by air. Weeks more by foot."

"Your point?"

"My point is: those people - including your brothers and sisters of the church - may be dead at this point or by the time it takes for you to reach them. And seeing as how they were the only to answer since this all began, that could mean everyone everywhere could be--"

"I don't know that for sure. I understand what you say, Kelik. But I must make the journey. If you are unwilling to lend me your men, then I understand. Really, I do. But I must leave Klisely."

The captain guard sighed heavily. He wished for any response but that. "Gods be with you, then," he told her, shaking his head. "What's your first move?"

He did not fully believe she would go through with her words. Hiln had always been a woman of her words. This though, he felt even she would come to grips with her folly eventually. At the very least, he did need to ask. If only to seem a good friend.

Hands on her hips, the blonde stepped back as she contemplated what to do next. "As far as we know, there is no certain way of killing these things. I also have no true lay of the city like you said. Getting through and out could prove a whole other obstacle. I could also use an extra pair of eyes watching my back on this journey..."

Hiln stared at their feet for a moment. She thought hard on what to do. Then her eyes slowly rose to Kelik's.

"I need to find that man."

Rows of beds lined the refugee area. Heavy bags packed with life belongings sat at their feet. Multiple guards stood at attention. Commoners quietly chatted amongst themselves or looked after the wounded or ill. Some others - the shameless - openly showed affection for their partners. Needless to say, the room was a constant quiet rumble.

Hiln and Kelik stepped in and approached the family that just arrived. They were hard to spot, with all the other multitudes of couples. Additionally so due to their child's absence.

In a far corner she and other children quietly played with wooden toys. Although moments prior she ran for her life, fear stricken and begging with all her soul for the gods to be their saviors, now she giggled with a joyful smile and bright eyes. Kelik observed her while Hiln introduced themselves to the parents. While she did, the captain guard stared on with sorrow, knowing - though she seemed fine now - she would never be the same. Never grow to be the woman she once would have been had none of this happened.

"We only saw his face," the mother claimed. "He looked young. No more than 24 years of age, I'd say."

"Yes. I agree," the father added.

"What else do you recall?" Hiln asked, sounding more desperate than she would have liked. "Hair color? Eye color? Accent? Anything of the sort?"

"Can't say that we remember," the mother answered.

"Everything just happened so fast," the father added again. "We had no time to think. We only did as he said."

"Do either of you remember where you were?" Hiln politely asked.

Both struggled to remember. Their faces contorted and they looked to one another for an answer. For a moment it seemed neither would come up with an answer. Until the father suddenly sprang forth with bright eyes. "He said we were in the Mayas' house!"

"Yes! That's right. The Mayas."

Hiln turned to Kelik. "Mayas? Did you know them?"

Kelik shook his head. His face asked how he could possibly know one family out of hundreds.

"Anything else that might tell us where you were?"

The father grumbled, scratching his chin. "Some ways from Hernon's shop. It was a straight walk through the alleyway."

"Hernon's shop. Okay. That helps. Thank you two." Hiln placed a gentle hand on both parents' shoulders before standing. "May the gods watch over you three."

"Gods watch over him," the mother corrected.

Hiln nodded in agreement before taking her leave with Kelik. "Hernon's shop. That's not too far a walk from here," she said, eyes forward, determined.

"A run, you mean, with what's out there. Speaking of what's out there, I don't believe they will so easily allow you to saunter about, searching for a man you've never met."