Azra-El Series Arc 2 Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Blaze was unsure if she was actually frightened or was simply messing around with them.

"What's your name?" he asked.

"Liz."

"Liz what?"

"Just Liz. Liz from Iza"

"Just Liz she says," Blaze said, turning to Nikolett. "Shouldn't demonic names be more... terrifying? Like Astaroth or Chupacabra."

Nikolett shrugged her shoulders.

"What is your name?" the demon asked.

"I am Tarzan Mowgli," he announced, unable to decide which of the two wildlings he wanted to be. "You can call me Mowgli, and my friend here is Jane. For now, explain everything about this place and do not leave out any details, or else, I will set this angry little carnike masquerading as an angel on ya. You've heard of the Malakim, ja? They are not nice angels," he said, in as mellow of a voice as he could muster.

"I have no idea who the Malakim are, but I can imagine just by looking at her," Liz nodded, glancing at Nikolett and visibly shuddering from her glare. "I-I will tell ya everything I know, but w-what guarantee do I 'ave that you will let me go afterwards?" she continued, despite her fear.

"Didn't ya know that angels always keep their promises?" Blaze suggested.

"Quetzal Shit! Isn't that just angel propaganda?"

"Well, let's just say that we are nice angels who always keep our promises," said Blaze.

"I need some real guarantee..."

"Look here, demon. If you do not answer our questions, I will make sure that dying will be the last of your worries," Nikolett said with a deadpan expression.

Liz gulped. "Okay, fine. Ask away."

For the next half-hour, they sat in the clearing, and the two angels asked the demon about their situation.

As Blaze had guessed, Edeina was some sort of a spatial dimension, which the demons had stumbled upon underneath Zagros city. Liz did not know how or when it was made, but she knew that the place was supposed to be very ancient.

Initially, the demons ventured into the dimension mainly to explore the place and kill its creatures for sport and for sale--their parts fetched a mighty price from collectors. However, they soon figured out something unique about a species of ferret-like anteaters called azo that lived in the dimension.

Azo developed space-stones in their bladders, which grew with age. They were clever and elusive creatures--difficult to capture with just traps--, but once the demons figured out their habits, they began to hunt them without abandon.

The demons had tried to raise a few on Azra-El, but the ones on Azra-El did not develop space-stones, making it obvious that the azo needed to live in the spatial dimension to grow them. Unfortunately, by that time the hunters had almost driven the azo to extinction. A few surviving azo were then caught and raised on a farm in Edeina, but a disease had wiped out the ones held in captivity.

Now, Edeina had become a zoological park of sorts for the wealthy demons, and a site for a biennial tournament where ivkas--usually from meager backgrounds--fought, competed, and died for money, fame, and livelihood, while the wealthy demons bet on them for sport. Liz was one of the three hundred competitors who had entered the dimension that morning.

The competition lasted for seven days, and the aim of the competitors was to get as many points as possible. There were several ways to collect points.

1 . Each competitor, called hunters, entered the dimension with a numbered coin. Each coin they possessed by the end of the tournament gave them twenty-five points.

2. While inside the spatial dimension, the hunters could hunt the creatures that lived inside the dimension for "hunt points". Proof of a hunt was shown by presenting a distinctive body part of the creature, usually a left foot. The hunters could also collect various other parts to make money in the auction held after the tournament. There was a list of creatures that could be hunted.

3. The hunters also received half the "hunt points" of those hunters whose coins they held.

"What's the point of that rule?" Blaze asked.

"It prevents stronger hunters from unreservedly killing weaker opponents. It makes it worth it for us average demons to take part in the tournament," Liz answered.

"Why would the demons care about the deaths of a few weak demons?" Nikolett asked.

"Ivka, I dunno what they say about us in angel-land, but we don't go around randomly murdering one other!" Liz said, seemingly offended.

"What's stopping the owners of Edeina from capturing some random demons and making them take part against their will?" Blaze asked.

"'Cause it's against the law?" Liz said, looking at him like he was an idiot.

"Oh..." Blaze muttered. "What happens if they secretly do such a thing?"

"Then the Valkyries will come bearing the wrath of the Empress! Even the warlords are wary of the Valkyries. Me' mum used to say that if not for the Empress, the Hela Empire would be a terrible place for us regular folk. Sadly, she hasn't been seen in the past sixty years, and the cratus have grown some horns."

Blaze didn't quite get the last sentence, but he surmised it was a demonic idiom. However, Liz's words gave him an epiphany on something he had been questioning for a long time. If the demons were truly evil and self-serving, how would their society survive without destroying itself? It had a simple answer, which made him wonder why he didn't think of it before: strong, rigid, and all-encompassing laws and punishments with an equally strong enforcement agency. But even that requires at least one person at the top who wants the society to prosper. Can ambition alone drive such a person to make a stable society?

"Did they register your names before you entered Edeina?" Nikolett asked, breaking Blaze's train of thought.

"Yes, they did. They need a name and a number to bet on, don't they?" Liz answered.

"Would they check our names when we leave?"

"Ay, how else would they know how many points ya got? "

"That'd be problematic for us..."

"You could just off a couple of hunters, use their names, and hope no one recognizes you," said Liz, but upon noticing Nikolett sizing her up. "Not me! I'd be recognized. I must tell you that I have friends taking part in the tournament."

After that, Liz let the angels think in peace for a couple of moments before once again raising her voice. "Umm, since I've accurately answered all yer questions, can I leave? I swear I won't tell anyone about ya two being angels. No one would believe me even if I did," she asked, sheepishly.

"Sorry, demon. I cannot take that chance," Nikolett said, readying the dagger. "I shall try to make it quick and painless."

Liz's eyes widened in fear as she scrambled backwards until her back hit the trunk of a fallen tree. "Shameless, backstabbing angels! You promised!" she screeched.

"What are you saying, Nikolett? She is just a young ivka. We can't kill her," Blaze said, hastily pulling her by the arm.

"And you are just a kid. Do you think she would show you the same mercy if you were in her position? Besides, we need someone's identity. Now, we have hers."

"Still, I do not wish to harm the person that helped us out," Blaze shook his head.

"Don't be stupid. If we let her go, we are done for. No, we must kill her now, so we have a chance of getting out and getting back," Nikolett put it succinctly.

"I guess tying her up and leaving her to her fate is not an option..."

"Pluck no!" cried the demon. "I'd rather ya kill me now, ya plucks."

However, Blaze abhorred the idea of killing a young demon as a matter of convenience, especially since she simply happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. If he was going to be an angel, he was going to act like one, not just when it was convenient. Otherwise, there was no difference between being an angel or a demon. So, he thought up a different way to tackle the tricky situation.

He put himself between Nikolett and the demon and asked in a gentle manner. "Liz, what is your vice?"

"A foul-mouth!" she answered without pause.

"What about greed?"

"No, no, I am not greedy at all. You don't have to worry! I won't sell yer secret to no one," she said hastily, but Blaze knew better.

"If you do not want to die, answer me honestly," he said firmly. Kindness did not need to be stupid.

"Everyone is greedy to some extent, no? But I cannot say that it is a particular vice of mine," she answered.

"But you are here to make money, right? Or are you hoping to gain fame and recognition?" he asked, using Liz's own words.

"Yeah, money."

"So, what if we offer you a lot of money for guiding us out of Edeina and then to the border of the Heavenly Union?"

Liz seemed to think about it for a moment. "That sounds very dangerous. I don't think you'd be able to pay me enough to do that for you. And what if you decide to ditch on our deal when you are in the safety of your land?"

"Would you rather just die here?" Nikolett asked.

"I can assure you that if you help us get back, you'll be amply rewarded. More money than you have ever seen." Blaze continued.

Liz sized him, paying particular attention to his clothes. "Just for argument's sake, how much are we talking about?" she asked.

"How much would you need?"

"How about... two hundred gold coins? No, five hundred!" she said.

Aur were only used in the HU; but the coins were made of gold, and gold sold everywhere.

"How about two thousand?"

For a second, Liz looked at him uncomprehendingly. "Ya can't be serious?"

"Yes, I am."

Liz's eyes glazed over for a moment, but she quickly recovered. "Don't mess with me! Who in the world would give so much money for a couple o' brats?"

Blaze suddenly stood up. "Do you know who I am?" he asked, pretentiously.

"No..." she shook her head, marveling at his sudden grandeur.

"I am her one and only friend," he said, pointing his thumb at Nikolett.

"Huh?"

"And do you know who she is?" he continued.

"Yer one and only friend?" Liz gave an educated guess.

"Ew, no. She is the daughter of a duchess. We came here by accident. Two thousand aur is a pretty small price to pay for her safe return. They may pay you even more if you return her in one piece."

"Oh... Duchess? Is that like a city-lord?" Liz's eyes widened.

"Also, you may be rightly skeptical about some angels, but I swear that I will not intentionally let any harm befall you. Once you receive your money, I promise I will find someone to safely and covertly escort you back to the Hela Empire."

Liz's brows furrowed and her forehead creased as she tried to comprehend the information. She threw a glance at Nikolett, but her eyes quickly reverted to Blaze.

"Swear on yer mother that ya will keep yer promise," she asked him.

Are ya a kid? Blaze wished to ask, but he swore, nonetheless. "I swear on my mother that if ya help us safely return to the Heavenly Union, I will ensure that you will be rewarded your due, and be safely sent back to the Hela Empire," he stated succinctly.

Liz nodded. "I also swear on yer- er, I mean my mother to try my best; but if y'all get into a tricky situation, I am ditching ya. Ya must promise not to implicate me, if that happens."

"As long as you do not intentionally get us caught, I will not implicate you," Blaze agreed.

"Make her swear too," she pointed at Nikolett with her chin.

Blaze glanced over his shoulder and Nikolett sighed in defeat. "Fine, I swear!"

"Say it properly! I don't need ya finding loopholes in yer promise. I hear ya angels are tricksy with yer promises," Liz stressed.

"I swear on the Malakim that I will not intentionally seek your detriment. I will make sure that you shall receive your two thousand aur, if you succeed in bringing us safely back to our lands," Nikolett finished her oath.

"Malakim?" Liz questioned Blaze.

"That's a good oath for her," he nodded. "She probably cares more about them than her own mother."

"Angels are strange," Liz stated, but nonetheless accepted Nikolett's oath.

"Act carefully, demon. I do not trust you," Nikolett warned.

"Ptooh!" Liz spat on the grass. "Who needs yer trust? I just want yer money."

And when Nikolett intimidated her with the dagger, she hid behind Blaze.

"Give it a rest, Jane! Liz, do you have any food in that bag of yours?" Blaze asked.

"Food? We aren't allowed to bring food into Edeina. Why do ya think there aren't no folk flying around in the sky? We must be reel careful about how we use our internal energy. It makes the tourney all the more difficult. Gives us poor folk a chance against rich schmucks like ya," said Liz.

Blaze was aghast. "Am I just supposed to starve for seven days!?"

"Pretty much. Don't worry, though. It gets easier once you get used to it," the demon said sedately, almost as if she was a little too used to it.

Blaze did not know whether to pity her or pity himself.

"That is true," Nikolett agreed.

"And, how would you know?" Blaze asked.

"Training..."

Gah, these two make me seem like a pampered brat?

"So, can ya untie me now? It's getting a little uncomfortable," Liz asked.

Blaze quickly untied her and gave her a hand up.

"By the way, what is that thing in your short-pants?" Liz suddenly asked.

Blaze looked down and realized that he was sporting a random raging boner under his shorts. He quickly adjusted his thing before Nikolett could spot it. "Er... just an air bulge. Probably from the time I wrestled you. Hehe."

Liz looked unconvinced, so Blaze quickly changed the topic. "So, what should our next course of action be?" he asked.

"How much gold do ya have on ya?" Liz immediately asked.

"None. We lost our space-rings during the teleportation. We didn't know we were going to be sent somewhere," Blaze answered.

"Ya rich folk don't know how to be prepared," Liz tsked. "I was hoping we could just hole up somewhere and wait out the tournament, but we can't do that no more."

"Why not?"

"Ya don't expect me to carry ya plu- angels to angel-land do ya? Zagros is three hundred yonders from the border, I think; and since neither of you can be seen flying, we will need money for transport, food, and stuff. It's best if we hunt some creatures and nab some coins from the other competitors... How strong are ya two?"

"How strong are the other competitors?"

"Everyone is under the age of eighty... Dunno about their individual strengths. My plan was to be all sneaky and get the jump on unsuspecting hunters... Who'd have thought that I'd be the one to get jumped first, that too within the first coupla hours?" she shook her head.

"I think Jane and I should be able to handle most of them, unless we are ambushed by a larger group," Blaze answered, modestly.

"Arrogant little runt, arentcha? Don't think you'd be able to get the jump on everyone like ya did on me. Besides, hunters aren't even the most dangerous things on Edeina. Ya better hope we don't run into six-claws, pig-wolves, or a plucking pack of saber-cats," she said, pausing for a moment to see if she got any reaction from him.

However, the only reaction she got was a giggle, as Blaze imagined a cartoonish cross between a pig and a wolf.

"Anyway," she continued. "We will first need to find ya some proper weapons. Maybe we'll find some kind demons who're willing to lend us some," she said with a sly grin.

"Kind demons. That is an oxymoron if I ever heard one," Nikolett rolled her eyes.

"You're the reel oxymoron, ivka," Liz quipped, but when Nikolett brandished the dagger, she hid behind Blaze.

"Why don't we just go find some other demons to vent your frustrations on, eh, Jane?" Blaze negotiated.

Thus, the trio quickly set out on their journey towards the center of Edeina. Blaze tried to pester Liz with more questions, but he was quickly shushed. They walked about a quarter of a mile before she stopped them.

"This won't do. Ya two make way too much noise. Didn't know angels were so heavy on the brush. Didn't you ever hunt before yer wings grew? Ya make so much noise that even muckrats will hear ya, and they are mostly deaf," she told them bluntly.

"And what do you suggest we do?" Nikolett raised a brow at her.

"Lemme go scout. If I don't find anyone within a tenth of a yonder, I will return to lead ya further. We can keep doing that until we find some good marks," she responded.

"Do you really think that we would let you go by yourself? How dumb do you think we are?" Nikolett asked.

Liz shrugged her shoulders. "'Twas worth a shot."

However, Blaze surprised them both by taking the dagger from Nikolett and tossing it to the demon. "Go. Find us some marks."

Liz looked at him stunned, and then glanced at Nikolett, but the Malakim remained silent. So, she gave Blaze a nod and took off into the jungle, but not before throwing him another glance.

"Do you expect her to return?" Nikolett asked, after the demon's departure.

"I don't know, but I must say, that was some pretty good acting there. We made a reel good 'good guard, bad guard' duo," he smiled.

"I was not acting."

"Huh?" Blaze looked at her. "Don't tell me you really planned to kill her!"

"I did."

"She is just a young ivka!"

"How does age matter in this situation? What difference does it make whether she is an adult or a child? We are in enemy territory. Once you showed her your wings, our best course of action was to kill her and nip any future problems in the bud. Do you think she will not snitch on us just because you let her go? In fact, by killing her, I would have saved our lives and maybe more."

"But there is a chance that she would have not snitched on us," Blaze protested, weakly.

"There is also a chance that a satiated Xenodon may not eat my horses, but I sure as Hela would not let one free in my stables," Nikolett replied.

Blaze understood where she was coming from. It was utilitarianism, and maybe even common sense. It was simple arithmetic: two lives over one, two angels over one demon, and maybe more lives as he and Nikolett were not going to go down without a fight. He remembered his thinking being similar, once. However, now it was different, and he could not figure out exactly why. There was the fact that he was unconvinced of the one-sided view that the angels had of the demons, but it could not be the only reason. It surely could not explain the pure gut-wrenching opposition he felt towards Nikolett's idea.

Maybe it had to do with the dogma that was associated with being an angel. The moral imperatives of being an angel.

No. This is not merely wishing to be an angel. It's a feeling from my core. But why?

"Why did you go along with my plan, then?" he finally asked.

"I must admit that I did not think of using the demon's greed to make her help us. If we travel by ourselves, it is likely that our identities would inevitably be exposed. So, I decided we might as well take a gamble. We will soon know whether it was the right call or not," she explained.

Blaze simply nodded. He didn't have to ask why she let the demon go so easily.

They were both testing her.

"Blaze, unless we find an exit that leads us directly back to the HU, we must not show our wings. If we must travel through the Hela Empire, Liz can be the only one who knows of our angelic identities."

***

Maybe she didn't want them to be freaked out, but Liz returned in less than fifteen minutes to tell them that the coast was clear. So, they trekked along for another quarter-mile before the demon once again took off on her own.

123456...8