BA Hammer Blue Flu Ch. 01

Story Info
PI WORKS ON BROADWAY
1.9k words
4.57
1.4k
2

Part 1 of the 8 part series

Updated 06/16/2023
Created 05/10/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
cwcw99
cwcw99
142 Followers

It felt right that the grandsons were delivering on the hopes of their grandfathers nearly one hundred years later. They can partner just as their grandfathers intended.

The next year saw a lot of growth in my business. I added a couple more investigators. Liz became very good working the computers. I didn't need to use our other sources much any longer. Liz hired a receptionist and moved to an office of her own. It was in her office that I discovered the next change. I accidentally walked into an intimate moment between her and my friend Ike.

"I'm sorry. You should put a sock on your doorknob, or at least a sign or something." They busily rearranged their clothes as I backed out of the door.

Liz came running out, embarrassed. "Sorry, boss. We didn't expect you back so soon."

"Obviously. I am glad you found something, or should I say someone to help you pass your time."

Ike followed her out the door red-faced. "Hey, I really like her."

"No explanations needed. I think it would be a perfect match. How long have you been seeing each other?"

"Only a month or so."

"Well, don't let me interrupt. You can get back to exploring now." I laughed as I turned and left them standing in the hall looking at each other.

Ike is around because he and I had decided to start an adjoining company that specialized in security and bodyguards. We had found offices nearby and staffed it with many of our former military friends. It has only been six months, but we already have five men and a couple of women that are very good. The men were some of the guys that has helped me in some of the past adventures and I knew they were good. We already have a couple of companies we are providing security for their offices and have provided bodyguards for several events or people in the past six months. The prospects are very good. It would be good for both Ike and Liz to find someone after all the uncertainty they have experienced in their lives.

I had to rush home to tell Mary. It was Monday. Mondays were her days off from the musical and she took as much advantage as she could. I had arranged for Liz to have Monday's off also so they could do things together if they wanted. When I got home, Mary was surprised to see me this early. She had something in her hand but pushed it under the coach cushion when she saw me. I pretended to not notice.

"You're home early. What's up?"

"I can't just home to see my girl?"

"Of course. Do you want to go to dinner somewhere tonight? I have something I would like to discuss with you."

"Sure. By the way, I ran into Liz with Ike today. Another couple of minutes and I would have seen more than I cared to see."

"So, you finally found out they were seeing each other." She laughed.

"I should have guessed you would know."

"She told me the day he called. I am very happy for them. They are good together."

"I think so too. So, what would you like to talk to me about?"

"You want to talk about it here, now?"

"Sure, you know you can tell me anything. What's on your mind?"

Mary sat down and took a deep breath. Great. This can't be good. "We have been married for three years now and everything is great. My job is wonderful, and your business is growing. However, you are near forty and I am nearly thirty-four."

I held up my hand. "You are talking about a baby." She reached under the cushion and pulled out a baby magazine.

"Yes, I think it is time to talk about having a baby."

"I am in favor. What about your five-year contract?"

"I only have about two and a half years left. By the time I would have to stop, it would be less than two years. I have talked to Ester, and she is okay with it. My understudy is ready and really needs to show what she can do."

I sat back to take all this in. I admit I had been thinking about this, but I thought we had at least two more years to think about this. "I am all for this. I would love to have a family with you."

Mary teared up as I sat beside her and hugged her. "I was afraid you would not want to be tied down to a family for a long time."

"Sweetheart, I have been "tied down" to you since I met you. Having children won't change my connection to you. Let's do this. How about now?"

"It's not my time of the month right now."

"Well, we could practice."

"Practice sounds goods." She took my hand, and we practiced deep into the night.

The next morning, I was whistling as I entered my offices. Stephanie Anderson, my new receptionist, acknowledged me as I entered. "Good morning, Mr. Hammer. Here are your messages from after you left last night."

"Thank you, Steph." I learned several things while visiting the offices of successful lawyers and businessmen. One of the most important is the value of a first impression. I want people who enter my offices to be impressed with the quality of my people from the very beginning. It starts with your receptionist. Steph came highly recommended and is everything promised. Liz had the offices redecorated. They have a warm quality to them, and Steph completes the first impression. She is professional, and sets everyone at ease when they walk in. She is well compensated, and worth every penny. She keeps my case log with Liz and together all investigators report to them. Liz is now my primary assistant as well as computer investigator. It is my plan to be self-sufficient in this office. With two business it was necessary to have an in-house accountant. I hired William Pennington from David Anderson's firm. They are the preeminent accounting firm for many in the Broadway world, and I wanted someone who was familiar with it. This freed Liz from the paperwork. She was too important now to worry about that stuff.

Most of our normal business went through Liz and I never did anything with it but review the ongoing cases. We had all sorts of smaller cases. Most were from someone connected to Broadway; everyone from actors and producers to stagehands. We helped them all. They paid based on their ability to pay. We helped them anyway. This built a loyalty in the community that money can't buy. I even hired an investigator who specializes in the industry. His name is Willie West, and he knows everyone in the business, or who wants to be in the business. I can find out about anything or anyone just by asking Willie. It comes in handy.

Ike and I generally have a weekly meeting to discuss the security company. He came that day for our normal meeting.

"Congratulations, Ike. I think the world of Liz and she couldn't have found a better guy."

"Thanks, Thor. (He is the only one left who insists on calling me by my old military nickname.) I think this has a chance to be the real thing." I shook his hand, and we settled down into my comfortable chairs in the meeting room beside my office and started with a drink.

"I have one thing I want to talk to you about. It's the assistant police commissioner. We are providing him with a bodyguard quietly. He has been getting death threats. He doesn't publish them because he thinks they are coming from within the NYPD. You know he is chairing a commission investigating police abuse within NYPD."

I knew about this. Cameron Westminster has made waves. I had talked to Ed O'Sullivan, a police Captain of detectives downtown and one of my best friends about this. Ed is not happy about how the commission is proceeding. "What gives him the idea it is coming from within?"

"He has never told anyone in the department about the threats, but they are known throughout the force. It is almost as if it was bragged about within the force. He doesn't know I am talking to you, but I think we need to try and see if there is anything to this."

"You know the can of worms that would open. I can't be seen as anti-police in this town."

"I know. I am not suggesting we started investigating the entire police force. I thought maybe you could speak to Ed and find out a little of the inside."

This has trouble written all over it. "I'll think about it, okay?"

"Good enough. Otherwise, we are busy. I'll get out of your hair." He got up and left. This was going to be a mess.

I called Ed and asked if we could get together for a drink. He was immediately suspicious. "We haven't "gotten together for a drink" in a long time. What gives?"

"I'd rather not talk about it on a phone or at your office." There was a long silence.

"Ok, Patty's in an hour."

"How about someplace not so full of cops. Maybe Curtains instead." Curtains was a Broadway hangout.

"OK, in an hour." This was not going to be fun.

I was sitting in a corner with my back to the wall when Ed came in. He walked up and sat down quietly.

After we had ordered drinks, he got right to the point. "I haven't seen you in months, and all of a sudden, you need to see me. What gives?"

"I'm sorry about not seeing you as much lately. I have been trying not to bother you looking for information. You pointed out to me that I was using you as a constant source. I realized you were correct, and I didn't want to abuse our friendship like that. Now I have a question about the NYPD, and who would I ask if not you?"

"What do you want to talk about?"

"Not what, who. Cameron Westminster." The look in Ed's eye could kill. This touches nerves close to home. "I see. Real popular, isn't he?"

"We in the force are well aware of bad apples. We do everything we can to weed them out. The last thing we need is for some outsider to start having press conferences telling us on television what we are doing wrong every month."

"I take it his commission isn't about helping you fix the problems."

"No. He's about airing our dirty laundry as openly as he can."

"I'm sure you know he's getting death threats."

"Yeah, it's all over the force."

"Any chance it's a couple of those bad apples?"

"Probably. We have 36,000 policemen and women in New York. There must be at least a thousand problem cops. It's finding them before they kill someone that is the issue. If you have any ideas, give them to me. Just not on television. Why are we talking about him?"

"Well, we have been hired to provide bodyguards for him, privately. The last thing I want is for my guys to end up in a shootout with New York's' finest."

"You have a problem. I'll let you know if I hear anything. I've got to get back." Ed got up and left.

This is going to be a problem.

cwcw99
cwcw99
142 Followers