BA Hammer History Ch. 01

Story Info
PI WORKS ON BROADWAY.
1.8k words
4.56
1.6k
4

Part 1 of the 5 part series

Updated 06/16/2023
Created 04/30/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
cwcw99
cwcw99
142 Followers

Wilma Morris won her late husband's patent back and the government contract that came with it. She restarted her husband's old company and used it to produce the "Grey Ghost" for the government. She hired Jerry Arnold to run it for her. Brick succeeded in expunging Liz's record. She and her brother continued to use Mary and my other apartment for a while.

After Wilma Morris paid my bill, I was able to move to a better office building. Brick recommended me to his building's managers, and they leased me quite a nice suite on the floor below Brick. The cases I have solved so far have made me famous in the Broadway arena, as well as in New York City's upper crust environment. This is rarified air that I am uncomfortable with. It is true it is making me a lot of money and now Mary and I can afford to move uptown. I am not an uptown sort of guy, but it makes Mary happy. I would just have to get used to doormen and butlers.

I needed more people to help me now, so I hired Liz as my receptionist. She would really do whatever we needed, as well as answer the phones. She was very happy and took to it right away. She was going to be a great help, and Mary was very happy.

I also hired my old friend Stevie Fleishman as another investigator. Stevie is someone who can talk to anybody and will. He calls himself a "New York Jew", as in I'm a New York Jew, what do you expect? Yet somehow, everyone likes him. He can get people to talk that would run away from me, or pull a gun on me, one or the other. He knows more people in NYC than I do and that will come in handy. I will have to stop bothering Ed at NYPD as often. He is starting to hate to see me coming, and I can't blame him much.

Mary's run in "Chicago" looks like it could be for a while; maybe the entire five-year run. That will set her up in the Broadway community. It wouldn't hurt us financially, either. Between the two of us, we should be okay.

We settled into our normal routine. Theater people started coming into our offices seeking help. Liz was adept at seeing who really needed help and who was deluded. Between her and Stevie, they were able to solve a steady stream of smaller cases that paid the bills. Brick settled Liz's case with the city and state for a handsome sum. She invested most of it and gave the rest to her brother for his nine years of standing by her side. Her salary from me was enough for her to live as she wanted, and she and Mary became steadfast friends, picking up where they left off ten years before.

Everything changed the morning the snappily attired lawyer showed up in our outer office.

Liz came into my office. "Boss, (she insisted on calling me boss. Well, at least it wasn't Thor) there's a Mr. Thaddeus P. Smiley to see you."

"Send him in." Maybe this was something to sink my teeth into. I have been getting bored.

"Mr. Hammer, thank you for seeing me. I have a very sensitive matter to discuss with you. I must ask you to swear that what we discuss in this room will stay in this room."

"Like Vegas, huh?"

"Pardon me?" Okay, so he's a nerd as well as an attorney. "Mr. Hammer I represent the Gilbert Theater Group."

Gilbert Theater Group was the largest theater company on Broadway. They owned almost half of all the 41 theaters on Broadway. They also had their name licensed in several large cities across the country. Everyone has been to one of their theaters, or at least knows who they are. This could get interesting.

"I am willing to pay you for your time, even if you don't take my case. All I ask is that if you don't take my case, you don't discuss it with anyone else."

"It would be unethical for me to talk to anyone about anything said between me and even a potential client, and you are aware of that. So, what can I do for you, Mr. Smiley?"

He sat down and opened his briefcase. He took out an envelope. "I don't know how much of Gilbert Theater Group's history you are aware of. Let me give you a little background before we begin, fi you don't mind?"

"Lead on McDuff." He smiled. At least he got that one.

"GTG was founded by Walter C. Gilbert in 1924. He built it from one theater until when he died, he owned ten. His son, Samuel Gilbert made it what it is today, a company that runs most of Broadway, as well as a good part of the rest of the country. This is still a privately owned family company. It is now run by Nathaniel Gilbert, Samuel's son. Samuel is still alive, but long since retired. That is the background."

He sat back and waited for me to comment. I did not. It is best to let them talk.

He eventually continued. "Two weeks ago, we received an envelope by registered mail. It contained a letter that, if it is true, will change GTG forever. I am asking you to investigate this letter to determine whether it is true. I also need to know who sent it, and why. If you are interested in this case, I will show you the letter. If not, no harm done, and I will leave."

Are you kidding me, there is no way you are getting out of here without me reading this letter. I would agree to almost anything to see what has this man so frightened. But there was no need to let him know that.

"I see. I might have the time now to investigate this for you. It will be expensive."

"There is no cost question. Name your terms." I liked that. I don't really have any reason to stall any longer.

"I will investigate this for you, Mr. Smiley. Let's have a look at this letter." He handed me the envelope. And I opened it.

It contained a copy of an obviously ancient-looking piece of paper, as well as a cover letter. I read that first out loud.

Gilbert Theater Group

Attn: Nathaniel Gilbert

Dear sir,

This is to inform you of the existence of the attached letter. My grandfather, Roscoe P. Hackett, had a partnership with your grandfather, Walter C. Gilbert, that was signed in 1923. As you can see by the attached agreement, they agreed to share everything in their joint theatrical venture. It is only because my grandfather was murdered shortly after this contract was signed that you are not aware of this and have not shared your success with my family until now. It is my intention to claim my family's rightful inheritance.

Please feel free to investigate and contact me at the P.O. Box listed below.

I know this is quite a shock to you. I am sure you were completely unaware of any of this. If not, we will have a reckoning for that also. I await your reply.

Sincerely,

Roscoe P Hackett III

"That is quite a bombshell. Gilbert will shit his pants if he must give half the family business away."

Smiley looked indignant. "That is not happening. There is no proof this contract is real, and there was no proof Hackett was murdered in 1924. I want you to prove that."

"I will investigate as you wish and let you know what I find out. Is there anything else you need?"

"No, that is it. Here is a retainer check. Would that suffice?" It was one hundred thousand dollars. That would suffice. I nodded, trying not to shake as I took the check.

"Leave me your card, and a copy of these letters and I will keep you updated with my progress."

He shook my hand and left. Liz came running as soon as he was gone.

"You must be kidding. An almost one hundred-year-old murder, and millions of dollars at stake."

"Liz, where you ease dropping?"

"Ease dropping? Next time, remember to close your intercom when you are finished with it." I looked down to see she was correct.

"Sorry, but you better go and deposit this check yourself, okay?" I handed her the check and her eyes popped out of her head.

"God Damn, I'm afraid to carry that by myself. Good thing Mary is coming to go to lunch with me. I can have her watch over me as I go. She can cover me."

"What do you mean cover you?"

She looked like she had just dropped a state secret. "Nothing, nothing."

"Spill it now, before she gets here."

She looked like she had been caught in something dreadful. "Okay, but you can't let on that you know." I nodded. "Mary has been taking shooting lessons with the handgun you have at home. She wants to be able to protect herself if something like the last big case happens again. Don't tell her I let it slip. She wants to surprise you when she is good enough to get a license."

I wasn't happy that Mary wanted to be a gun totting moll. There were enough of them in New York now. But,,, maybe that would not be the worst idea. I have already had her life threatened once. It might be a good idea for her to be able to defend herself in our home if it became necessary.

"Okay, it's our little secret."

"Thanks, I owe you another one." She sailed out of the office and waited for Mary to go to the bank and have lunch.

After they were gone, I sat back to think.

How am I going to investigate a hundred-year-old murder?

Was it murder?

Is the agreement genuine?

How could I prove it or disprove it now?

Why had Hackett III waited this long to bring it out?

Stevie came by shortly after lunch to report on whatever he was working on to Liz. They didn't even always tell me about the simple cases. I called him in when I saw him in the office.

"Stevie, I want you to go by Homer Arthur's office to see if he can find Roscoe P. Hackett III." Homer was a man I had met through Brick. He was a computer hacker that was second only to Zorro, and I only bothered him when it was necessary.

"Sure, BA. I'll go now and let you know." He hopped up and was gone.

I figured a more detailed history of GTG was in order. I asked Liz to run a computer check on the known history of GTG.

I decided to go and watch Mary at work. I hadn't seen her in the musical for a while, and I had a standing box seat where I could watch without bothering anyone. Roscoe P. Hackett III can wait at least one day.

cwcw99
cwcw99
142 Followers