BA Hammer Broadway Ch. 03

Story Info
PI WORKS ON BROADWAY.
4k words
4.74
1.7k
4

Part 3 of the 3 part series

Updated 06/14/2023
Created 03/24/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
cwcw99
cwcw99
142 Followers

B.A. HAMMER BROADWAY CH 3

The next morning, the situation changed drastically. When I got to the theater, there was a crowd of cop cars out front, and a swarming mess of TV reporters. I had to give my name to the cop at the door to get in.

Once I got in, I saw Detective Lt. Baker talking to some of the people. Great, what was homicide doing here? I should have just waited, because as soon as he saw me, he made a beeline to me.

"Okay, Hammer. You want to explain this?"

"Explain what?" Somebody had shuffled off this mortal coil, and I was sure I was suspect number one. My luck it would be Wilson.

"Follow me, Hammer." He headed to the back of the stage area. In the very back, in front of the cyclorama, or cyc (a large white sheet that hung at the back of the stage to give them a blank canvas at the back of the stage to put whatever they wanted on it.) was Wilson. He was very dead, with a nasty knife sticking out of his back.

"You want to explain this?"

"How the hell can I explain this. I haven't seen him for at least a week."

"Yeah, you don't say. How is it, this guy turns up dead a day after you and he go stair diving at your office? "

Okay, who knows about that? I only told Chad and Ed. I also told Lenny when I called about Tony, but he knows better than saying anything about anything. Ed's out, so that leaves only Chad. I didn't like what that sounds like. Fat Tony isn't going to be happy if Chad is involved in this. I hadn't even put his name on my list of suspects.

"He did come to see me. He had a warning for interfering in his business. We took turns throwing each other down a flight of stairs. Then I busted his hand and told him to stay away from me." I could tell Baker wasn't buying it. "It's the truth."

"Right, Thor. We know how you solve your problems, and that ain't going fly in the city."

"I haven't done anything since I got back, and Ed O'Sullivan will vouch for me." I know Baker is aware of my friendship with Ed, but it was time to remind him.

"Unless he was with you last night, he's not going to be able to help with this. Take him downtown. We need to have a little talk." One of the uniformed boys "helped" me toward his car. When his first push didn't budge me, he looked harder at me.

"Okay, sonny. I'll go." I pointed to Baker, "Tell your boy here I will go. If he keeps pushing me, he's not going to like it."

"Why, you gonna lose your temper and stick a knife in him?" Baker smirked.

"No, but he might hurt his hand on my chest if he keeps pushing like that." Baker stood there for a minute before he motioned the officer to just take me in.

The next six hours weren't any fun. They had nothing on me, and they knew it. Ed finally came in to ask why they were still holding me. Baker started talking about the fight, and he had "other" things until he saw Ed's face go cold.

"If you have something, let's see it. If not, charge him or let him go." Steam came out of Baker's ears as he told me I could go, but "don't leave town". Yeah, right. I must find whoever gummed up my case. I wasn't going anywhere but to find Chad.

By the time I got back to the theater, they were doing one of their last run throughs. It was a complete, non-stop run through, so I had to wait until they were finished. I stood in the wings and watched their performance. It was smooth. They were ready.

As they broke up, I looked up Chad. "Chad, I have to talk to you."

"Sure BA. You, okay? I saw them taking you off."

"Sure, just a little misunderstanding among friends. Let me ask you, did you tell anyone about my skirmish with Wilson the other day?"

The look on Chad's face slowly changed. I could tell he was getting it. "Yes, sir, I did. I told Tom. Tom Mellon. He was asking where Wilson was, and I told him he was recuperating from the beating you had given him the night before. I'm sorry. I should have kept my mouth shut, right? Oh, Uncle Tony is not going to be happy, is he?" He was so upset, I had to calm him down.

"We'll just keep this between ourselves, okay? It'll be okay, I promise." Chad walked off in a cloud of despair. Mary saw him walk away and came to see what had happened.

"Is Chad, okay? He looks terrible."

"He'll be okay. He is just worried about me. The police think I killed Wilson last night."

"You didn't do that; I know you didn't."

"I love your optimism, but there is no way you could know that."

She stood looking at me carefully before speaking. "There could be a way I could know that. I could say you were with me last night."

I had to take that in. She was willing to perjure herself for me. I was going to have to re-evaluate this.

"Okay, no one would buy that. You are you, young and famous, and I am me, a broken-down ex-cop. Besides, you are too young for me."

"How old do you think I am, anyway." She was half angry and half flattered.

"What, 25?"

"That's the best compliment I've gotten in a while. I am thirty, but if you tell anyone, I will deny it." Thirty! She's not too young. I may have to bring out the hammer after all.

"I would never believe it. I will tell you what. Once this business is over, if you are still interested, I will take you up on your offer. Deal?"

She smiled. "I'll hold you to it, sir." They shook hands and she turned to leave. She stopped and turned back to look at me. She shook her head and left. That is some woman. I must clear this up, so I can find out how much of a woman she really is.

Now to business. Tom Mellon had told Baker I had a fight with Wilson. He now jumps to the top of my suspects list. But I had no proof. I asked the publicist for the head shots of both Woods and Mellon. I would give them to Ed and ask him to show them to the bank people at First National.

I looked Willie up. I wanted to know if he had enough money to open next week. He thought he would make it. He did have one interesting observation. He said the monkey business with the books had stopped when I showed up. Speaking of the books, I asked Willie for the name of the accounting firm doing them.

He gave it to me. Anderson and Anderson were a respected accounting firm in the city. They have handled other Broadway shows and were familiar with the oddities of the money flow during the runup to opening night.

I decided to talk to the person handling the account anyway and went to their offices. I had gotten a letter from Willie authorizing me to see the books.

The young lady receptionist took my name and called someone. While I waited, it seemed to me she was staring at me. Every time I looked up, she would look down. I guess there aren't many accountants that look like me.

"Mr. Hammer, please follow me." We walked down the hall and went up a couple of floors until we were in the higher management levels. You could tell. The carpet was better, the pictures were real, and everyone there was handsome or beautiful. We stopped at a door that read, "David Anderson Executive Vice-President."

"Go right in, sir." I thanked them and entered. Another secretary, but this one was top shelf. I would never believe this woman ever took a day of dictation in her life.

"Mr. Hammer, you may go right in." Her voice was silk, and soft. Sure, a secretary. I went in.

David Anderson was in his sixties, and well known around town. He and his brother were the accountants for many people in New York.

"Mr. Hammer, I understand you are concerned about the books for the production of Rutherford Reynold's newest musical."

He shook my hand and pointed to a chair. I sat down. "I am not as concerned as my employer. He is very concerned how money could be siphoned off without any participation from someone in your office."

Anderson sat up straight, and the color drained out of his face. "Mr. Cabionie is concerned about our books?" Well, does everyone know this show is being backed by a mobster?

"I have been with the Producer for the past week. Something is going on. I need to talk to whoever you have doing the day to day for this production." He reached for his phone.

"Elizabeth, get Will Davis in here immediately."

"Yes Mr. Anderson." That voice is too smooth for an accountant. Within five minutes, a small, wiry little man of about forty came into the room.

"Will, this man is here about the books on the production you are taking care of. Have you noticed anything unusual about their books?"

He obviously was very nervous, and when he opened his mouth, I knew why. "Well. Mr. Anderson, I am not sure. However, in the last few months, the amounts of some of the accounts grew. Small at first, but after a while, some of our accounts grew by a significant amount. I have flagged them and sent in a report."

"Elizabeth, please have all of Mr. Davis's reports brought in here."

"Yes sir." While we waited, the tension was thick. I played the quiet man, and the other two were very uncomfortable. When the reports were brought in, Davis looked through them and pointed to his notes.

"I called Mr. Henderson, the producer. He said that fluctuations were normal, and not to worry about it. But the amounts were getting bigger."

He showed me the accounts that were growing. They were all from one company, Exquisite Talent Services.

I asked Mr. Davis what services this company provided.

"I believe they handle the cast and crew's expenses."

"I will need a copy of those bills from the last several months. Will that be a problem?" I looked at Anderson, and he shook his head.

"Will, please make copies of everything Mr. Hammer asks for. If you go with him, he will get you what you need. Let me know if there is anything else you need. Be sure to tell Mr. Cabionie I will be happy to answer any questions he might have."

He couldn't get me out of his office fast enough. We walked by the picture-perfect model of a high-priced secretary and smiled at her as we left. She smiled back, showing perfect teeth, and a perfectly practiced smile and nod.

It took Will Davis more than an hour to make the copies I needed. The picture was almost complete. I just needed to find out who the mastermind was of this operation. I was certain he would be the one who eliminated his henchman, Wilson.

Davis was correct. Over the last six months, the bills from Exquisite have slowly risen. The amounts for each of the star's accommodations had doubled in six months. Unless they had all moved into penthouse accommodations, someone was padding. They were staying in expensive places to begin with, but now, these prices were unbelievable.

I called Ed and asked him to check to see who owned Exquisite Talent Services. He promised to get back to me after I promised him this would clear up both murders. I told Ed about the police tail I had been dragging around ever since I was released. I told him not to worry about them. They could have a nice tour of the city if they wanted.

Everything pointed to Mellon framing Woods. It all fit, maybe a little too nicely. There was something nagging at me, but I couldn't figure out what it was.

The musical was opening in two days, and I want this done by then.

Ed called shortly after that. He told me who were the principles in Exquisite Talent. There were a lot of shell companies, but the bottom line is Conner Woods was the only true owner of Exquisite. Ed also told me of one interesting fact about Exquisite. They had a million-dollar business with most of the plays in New York. However, the account for this production was not handled by the normal office. It is handled by someone by the name of Winston James. However, they cannot locate Winston James. I thanked Ed and sat to think. By early the next morning, I was close.

I called Ed early and asked him to do one special favor for me. I also called Fat Tony and asked the same favor. They would both be mad if they find out I had them pulling the same string, but I wanted both ends pulled on this one.

Tony found it first, but Ed wasn't far behind. I asked Tony to have one of his boys bring what they had found out to me at the theater, along with the source. Tony promised to produce what I needed, and it would cooperate. I told Ed to have our old friend Baker come with him to the theater but remain hidden where I would put them until I call them. This had to be done precisely. I had very little actual proof. I needed a confession, and I didn't need any cops or "boys" around while I was talking to the cast and crew of the production. I told Willie to have everyone in the green room at four p.m.

At three thirty Ed arrived with Baker in tow. He was surly. "Look at it this way Baker. You're getting the killer for both murders, and you don't have to do anything. I don't even want the credit. You can split it with Ed for all I care." I showed them where to hide. They would be able to hear what goes on.

I then went to the sound engineer and had him record everything said in the green room from now until I tell him to stop. I also told him to be quiet about it.

I was now ready. At 4 I entered the green room. Every member of the cast was there, along with Bob, his assistant stage manager, and the other supervisors of the stagehands.

"Thank you for coming to my little meeting. This won't take long. I know you have something important to get ready for tomorrow night".

"First of all, let's review where we stand. We have had two murders. Eddie, who was killed and dumped into an alley, and Wilson, the big hulk who was found on the stage floor."

"I can now tell you that Eddie was killed by Wilson. He made one slip when he was fighting with me. He told me I should have minded my own business. Now he was going to have to give me the Eddie treatment. He didn't figure I would live long enough to tell anyone. When I didn't die, he knew he had a problem, and he went to the man who set this entire plan up. We will get to who that is later."

"So now, Wilson was a liability to his employer, who decided to give him the Eddie treatment. He told Wilson to come to the stage late that night to get his final money so he could disappear. However, while Wilson was counting his money, the killer went behind him and knifed him in the back. There wasn't much splatter because the killer knew where to strike him. Afterwards, he took his money back, and disposed of the gloves. I doubt we ever find those. So now, the killer was home free. He had only one worry left".

"He has been embezzling money from this production carefully over the last six months. He was very smart. He had access to the company that pays the bills for all of you. Your housing, your food, your expenses. Everything. He made sure he had the bills for these items fluctuate every month. Over the last six months, he increased the bills substantially. However, he wasn't really after the money. He was laying a trap for another man."

"I am now going to tell you who all the evidence points to. I want you to be quiet until I am finished, no matter what I say, or who I call out, understand?" they all nodded.

"His problem wasn't the embezzlement. He had always planned on that being found out. His problem was me. He knew where I came from, and who sent me. He had to at least delay me or fix it so the police handled me. He just needed the time for the police to find the clues he had planted."

"Now, let's move to the evidence. First, there is the matter of the deposit box at First National. It was opened by a man who said it was for Conner Woods."

"What, me? Why the hell..."

"I told you to wait until I was finished, remember?" He shut up. "So, we have a deposit box with Woods name on it. I asked the police to get a warrant, and they should be here soon. We also have testimony that Woods had befriended a member of the crew, something that almost never happens. They played cards in his dressing room and talked about during rehearsals. That member of the crew was Wilson. So, now we have a box in Woods name, and a friend in Wilson. Two against Woods"

"Now, on to the embezzlement. The company that handles all your arrangements is Exquisite Talent Services. It took a while to comb through the shell companies, but we finally found the true owner of Exquisite. It is also Conner Woods. He has been profiting from his fellow cast members for years. Another strike against Woods. All the invoices that began jumping up in value were all signed by one employee of Exquisite, a man by the name of Winston James. Only problem, no one has ever seen Winston James."

"So, that is the case against Conner Woods. The police are sure they will find Winston James, and he will confirm everything I have stated."

Everyone started talking at once. "Quiet, we aren't done." They settled down. I had one policeman in the room for effect and he was standing beside Woods. Woods was so angry he could barely contain himself.

"Now, it is time to shift gears. Who told everyone about Wood's friendship with Wilson? Thomas Mellon. Who had been identified by a bank employee as the man who opened the account at First National, Thomas Mellon. Who told Wilson about me, and what I knew, Thomas Mellon." Woods was settling down, and Mellon was getting agitated.

"So, we have evidence against both men. One set was obviously planted, but which? I can tell you that now. I have found Winston James." Both men looked at me in shock.

"Please bring the man in now." Ed and Baker came into the room with a shifty-eyed little man. Everything got quiet.

"Everyone, meet Sammy Sommers. He is a great forger. He helped one of our suspects with a complete set of papers under the name of Winston James. He has a passport, a driver's license, a social security card, the entire works. Our killer never intended to use these things. They were to frame the person the killer wanted to ruin."

"How about you tell us what you have against Thomas Mellon, Mr. Woods?" He looked at me with real hatred.

"I am not saying anything."

"That's okay. Sammy which man here had you make the papers? "He pointed to Woods. I took out the passport. It had Woods' picture in it. "This picture is Woods. He changed his appearance just enough to be able to escape."

"I must acknowledge your brilliance, Woods. You set up yourself with just enough hints to me in the evidence that it was too perfect, that something had to be wrong. I don't know how you figured that, but it was worth the risk. We have found your oversees accounts. If we didn't figure it out the way you wanted, you could always become Winston James and disappear. You have been using makeup and disguises in your acting career for years. It would be no problem for you to slip away. If you look closely at the fake id's, it doesn't actually look like Woods. It is just enough to fool anyone, especially with a mustache and beard."

"Now for the last part, why? You have known for a while that Mellon has been picked by some influential people to replace you as the top dog in Broadway musicals. You had to try and get him out of the way. You were just going to do it with the embellishment until Wilson provided a more permanent solution." I got this little tidbit from Fat Tony.

"There you have it. A bitter, angry former star, Conner Woods. You will go down for Wilson's murder."

For the first time in a while, Woods smiled. "You don't have anything on me. Everything you have is circumstantial. I will dice you up in court and sue you for defamation."

"We'll see. Now, back to the evidence. The man at the bank actually identified you. You went as Winston James with a letter from yourself authorizing them to let him act in your behalf. That's one. Two. You were here the night Wilson died. You didn't see the security guard, but he saw you with Wilson shortly before the time of the murder. Three, you picked up all of the money, but you missed one bill that was under his body. It has your fingerprints on it. I think any jury will convict you."

cwcw99
cwcw99
142 Followers
12