BA Hammer History Ch. 04

Story Info
PI WORKS ON BROADWAY.
3.5k words
4.6
1.1k
3

Part 4 of the 5 part series

Updated 06/16/2023
Created 04/30/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
cwcw99
cwcw99
143 Followers

Mary didn't have a performance that next day, and we decided to get away for the day. I called Liz to tell her I would not be in that day. She told me Stevie had some news. I told her I would talk to him tomorrow.

We just disappeared for the day. We walked in the park, got a simple lunch; you know, what couples do, just wander around together. It was very relaxing for both of us.

The next morning, I was in my office bright and early. I got a call from Brick telling me Nina was awake and appeared okay. She didn't remember much after Carlton had rushed her out the door. That was a very good thing. There was nothing she would have to forget. Her father would make sure she never took a chance like that again.

Stevie came in around 9. He had the report on Roscoe Hackett's wife.

"Mary Cunningham Hackett had married Roscoe Hackett on New Years's Day of 1919. Their son, Junior, was born the next year. After Hackett died, she dropped out of sight for a while. She resurfaced in 1926 when she married a man by the name of William DeVore. He was in real estate. He was very successful at the time. However, the great depression did to him what it did to millions of others; it broke him. The couple decided to move to Chicago in 1932 to start over. By the end of the thirties he was able to carve out a fairly successful real estate business there. There were rumors he was connected to the Chicago mobs, but nothing was ever proven. She had another child, a daughter named Susan Louise DeVore in 1940. By the seventies, the family was very comfortable and well-known in Chicago society. He was a friend of old man Daly, and an advisor to the junior Daly. Mary DeVore passed away in 1980. DeVore died in 1989. Susan DeVore married a prominent politician in the Daly machine in 1965. DeVore had adopted Hackett's son after he married his mother, but Junior kept his name in honor of his father. In his will DeVore specified that the company business went to his adopted son, but everything else went to his daughter. They both came out smelling like the proverbial rose in the deal. They aren't close but can tolerated each other."

"I wonder who got the family personal papers? If Susan had gotten them, she may not have shared everything with her stepbrother. It may be worthwhile checking this angle. Anything else?"

"No. I got most of this from Homer. I have a friend in Chicago who is nosing around for me. He must be careful. You don't want to turn over the wrong rock in Chicago. You may turn up things certain people don't want known. You know how it is with Fat Tony. You are careful, adda, adda, adda. He must be also, even now. I'll let you know what I find out."

Stevie flirted with Liz on his way out. They had become friends in the past year. Stevie's wife, Marie, was used to Stevie flirting with other women. He was just that way, a harmless puppy dog that every girl liked and most men didn't notice. He was perfect as an investigator. He pissed almost no one off and could get surprising things out of most women. Marie was confident in Stevie's love for her, and never felt threatened by his conversations with women. Stevie always came home at night, and always would.

After Stevie was gone, I sat back in my chair with a good cup of coffee. (Liz had insisted on the best coffee in the office. I think it had to do with the time she spent in prison, but I digress.)

It is obvious Hackett III does not need the money he might get if his threat is successful in court. He must be doing this for the personal satisfaction of clearing his grandfather's name and reputation in the theater industry. In many ways, this is much harder to overcome than a simple desire for money. Hackett III is far less likely to take a settlement of money. He wants the very publicity that the Gilberts don't.

His grandfather was poisoned, that is certain. The question is, was it a natural result of fish gone bad, or a malicious plot to murder him? Everyone who was there back then is now long gone. I wonder if Hackett had any friends he confided in while he was doing the contract with Gilbert? We could see if there are any pictures of him with others, newspaper articles about him.

It's time I look for old man Hackett's friends the police interviewed after his death. I had written the names down somewhere. They were in a notebook on my desk. Arthur Rosedale and Jeremiah Pauley. I asked Homer to find anything he could on them and run a search on every time Roscoe Hackett comes up on the internet. I also asked him to hack the Times and run a search in their files. Stevie found the stories in the dates he was searching in, but there may be others. We need to check. He agreed to get on it. He would always work quickly for me because of two reasons, I was a friend of Brick and I paid very well. I'm certain the Brick thing doesn't hurt, but it was the top dollar I gave him that made him quick.

I was at lunch when I got a call from Tom Thompson. He was an old reporter for a TV station in the city. He asked to see me, and I told him where I was. He was there before I finished.

"Hey, BA. I haven't talked to you in a while."

"True, what brings you here?"

He looked hurt. "Can't I catch up with an old friend?"

"I've seen you exactly three times, and it was on a story that won you a prize for reporting in this city. A story you got from me if I remember correctly."

He laughed. "Ok, ok, don't get so butt hurt. I might be able to help you this time."

"Same terms?"

"It's not like that. You can do what you want with what I have. I'm just curious about something I uncovered in theater biz. I know you are connected, and this might make sense to you. I just smell something, and I am running down leads."

I must admit he had me interested. "Go on. You know I'll work straight with you. I was just fucking with you anyway."

"I got a call from someone in GTG telling me old man Gilbert had a meeting in secret with Mannford T. Bone."

He let that sink in. It did. Mannford T. Bone is the biggest name in civil litigation in the city. He only took cases that polished his reputation and bank account. If he was meeting with Gilbert, there must be something coming. Bone never works in private, no headlines that way. He wants his name in the news, and he isn't too particular which side of the law he was on, as long as the very large check clears.

"Maybe Gilbert is planning on suing someone. I haven't heard anything, though."

"You wouldn't jerk me around would you Hammer?"

"If I get something, I will tell you whatever I can. In return, try to get whatever you can on the meeting."

"Okay Hammer, we'll play it that way, but if something happens that you knew about and don't warn me, I may have to rethink our partnership." He got up and left. I didn't feel much like eating the last few bites. I don't need publicity either way. Tom was just someone who could get information I may not be able to. I don't want to burn that source.

I spent the rest of the day with reports on other cases that Liz had written up. By the end of the day, I needed a break. I decided to go and watch Mary. I asked Liz if she wanted to go, and she decided to join me. We slipped into our box, and it was a wonderful performance. A couple of glasses of wine didn't hurt. Afterwards we went backstage to see Mary. She was happy to see Liz. I let her take my car and I rode home with Mary. It was a very relaxing evening.

The next morning, I called Bill Stevens in Chicago. I had an idea. I didn't think he would like it, but I was going to run it by him anyway. "Morning, Bill, how's the case coming?"

"Really?"

"I'm kidding. I have something sort of connected I wanted to run by you. If I have hit on something you can't talk about, just tell me how the weather is in Chicago. If it's different, we will continue. Okay?"

"Pretty clear, but if it has anything to do with the Hackett's, the weather is fine."

"No, I might need a PI in Chicago. I know I can't do anything with you. That's fine. What I want to know is, if I needed a lawyer to run down a couple of minor points for me in Chicago about this case, could I get a couple of names that are good from you, or would that be considered part of this case? So, my question is, how's the weather in Chicago?"

Silence. "Give me a minute." At least he was thinking about it. "Write this name down. Samuel Bettinelli. He's the best, and he knows everyone in Chicago."

"Thanks, Stevens."

"No problem. By the way, the case is over for me. Hackett fired me yesterday. I guess he thinks I have given him everything I would, and he doesn't want to continue paying for my retainer. So, good luck with your end. Gut the cheap prick."

"I'll do my best. If I ever need a PI in Chicago, I'll give you a call. Same for you in New York."

"Thanks, Hammer. You never know."

I needed more information. Homer was checking the two friends of old Hackett the police interviewed. It's probably nothing, but I should at least have them looked at. I also asked him to do a complete internet search on all the Devores in this case. He had probably done it already, but I want every time their names are mentioned.

Next, I put in a call to Samuel Bettinelli in Chicago. After a series of secretaries, I finally reached his "personal secretary" who promised to have him call me when he was available. That wasn't going to cut it. I needed to find someone who could make him "available" quicker. I called Brick.

"Brick, do you know a lawyer in Chicago by the name of Samuel Bettinelli?"

"You're moving up in the world if you know Samuel Bettinelli. We've been on a couple of committees together."

"I really need to talk to him for a few minutes. Could you ask him to speak to me. I'm getting the impression I don't cut the mustard with his high standards."

"He doesn't do much these days. He lets the younger, hungrier lawyers do his work for him. I'll call him and ask him to at least talk to you."

"Thanks, Brick. I'll try to not compromise his high standards too badly."

"Very funny." Brick hung up, but he was laughing.

I got the call from Bettinelli a couple of days later. He obviously wasn't happy about calling me, but didn't want to piss off Brick. That was something.

"Thank you for returning my call, Mr. Bettinelli. I am sorry for disturbing you, but I really need to speak to you in private. I know it's an imposition, but, if I fly to Chicago, could you give me a few minutes, please?" I did everything but kiss his ring, but I was willing to try it the easy way first.

"What is this in regard to?"

"I am bound by certain restrictions that you can understand. I would be happy to go into more detail in person."

Silence for a few minutes. I didn't know how much Brick's influence would reach, but, after a while, he relented. "Okay. I will see you at 10 AM the day after tomorrow in my office."

"Thank you, Mr. Bettinelli. The proper appreciations will be expressed. See you day after tomorrow."

Homer called me later in the day. The two friends had, of course, long since died. Rosedale had no living relatives left, but Pauley had a daughter that was born late to him, and was still alive. She now lives in up-state New York. She was born in 1940 and is now in her mid-seventies. I told him to give her name to Stevie.

Stevie was in later that day and we sat down to compare notes.

Stevie started first. "My friend in Chicago is sort of connected to the "old ways".

"Sort of like me and Fat Toney?"

"Exactly. He told me about the DeVore woman. She married a politician alright. DeVore was friends with Daly's chief of staff. His son is the man Susan DeVore married. He is known as a fixer for both sides of the street in Chicago. His name is August Rotella, and everyone knows him."

"Great, I am sure that name will get me visited if I bring it up when I'm there." I can ask Bettinelli, but I would have to be careful. "Okay, look up the lady Homer told you about while I go to the windy city again."

I arrived at Bettinelli's office fifteen minutes early. After I had presented my card, I was escorted through several areas until I came to a richly appointed secretary's office. This woman was a little older, but she wore her years very well. Her clothes were fine, and her manners finer. She asked me to have a seat and got me a cup of coffee. She asked if I would like a Danish, or a scone. I thanked her for her kindness but declined. I noticed her phone didn't ring while I was there until Bettinelli called to have me come in. He obviously wasn't really busy these days.

I entered his office to find a bent-over old man. He had to be at least eighty. I can see why he didn't take any cases now. I couldn't see why he was here at all. Maybe that is why it took Brick to make him see me. I had a feeling one of his kids would be sitting here real soon.

"Thank you so much for seeing me, Mr. Bettinelli. I realize the imposition, and I will be brief."

He waved me to a very comfortable chair and sat behind his desk. "I don't do much around here any longer. I let my staff handle everything now."

"I understand, sir. I just need a little background from someone who understands Chicago better than almost anyone alive. I'm told that is you. I only want background. This conversation will never have happened unless you allow it." He smiled. I could tell he was at least intrigued. "I am here about a case involving the real estate developer Roscoe Hackett III." I waited to see if there was any reaction, but he had been a successful lawyer far too long to let anything slip. "Mr. Hackett believes his grandfather was murdered and his share of a partnership was stolen one hundred years ago. I have been employed by the other party to determine if any of his claims are true."

"I know of Hackett and his theories. Everybody here does. What has changed?"

"He has brought forth an old contract that he proports to be the contract between his grandfather and the New York parties. Because it is so old, and everyone connected to this case is long dead, we are left searching histories' whispers. It is in connection with a couple of threads I am here now. I just want to see if you can point me in the right direction, or save me the time."

"Why would I help the New York people who may have done this?"

"You wouldn't be, really. I took this job with the understanding I would search for the truth. If I find anything that helps Hackett, I will not hide it. If what he says is true, I would be happy to tell the New York people they are screwed. I am sure Brick told you a little about me or you would not have agreed to see me."

"It is true. I must ask you a question. Did you really throw your military career away rather than let murders get away?"

I hadn't expected him to go there, and I looked down for a minute. "I try to do the right thing. I did when I was a cop, and I do now."

He sat silently for several minutes. Just when I thought I was going to get the boot, he said. "What do you want to know?"

"William DeVore married Mary Hackett after Hackett died. They had a daughter, Susan. She married a politician, August Rotella" Bettinelli laughed. "Hackett got DeVore's business when he died, but Susan got everything else. I am hoping that includes her mother's papers."

"A politician, huh? Is that what they call them in New York? He's a mobster. He is the connection between the Mayor's office and the other side."

"I gathered that was the case. Another reason I am talking to you. I have no interest in getting involved with any of their business. I know a few of the families in New York, and I am familiar with how things work. I was hoping that if someone of your stature were to speak to him, he would at least let me, or you, speak to his wife. That is all. If she isn't interested, then it's done. I am on a plane to New York, and he never hears from me again. If she has thoughts about her step-brother, and wants to clear the air, then I would be happy to retain your firm to represent me in the matter. I am willing to pay whatever fee you deem appropriate for you to just inquire for me." There, it was on the table. Let's see if he is interested in a little elbow rubbing with the movers and shakers in Chicago one more time.

"I am willing to speak to August on your behalf. My fee is $1000 an hour."

"Agreed." If that was a test, he wouldn't get off that easily.

"Very good then." He reached for the phone. "Mrs. Thompson, please come in here a minute." She was quietly standing beside him in a second.

"Yes, Mr. Bettinelli."

"Please draw up a contract for me to represent Mr. Hammer in his Chicago business."

She nodded and left. "How about a drink while we wait for her. This won't take her long. She has been doing this a long time."

"A drink sounds good, thank you, Mr. Bettinelli."

"Please, call me Sam. Do they really call you Thor?"

"Some do. My friends call me BA."

"Okay, BA, a drink to our success." She came in with the papers, I signed them, gave him a check for $5,000 and departed. I had an attorney in Chicago. I bet he is someone every lawyer in Chicago would be aware of and respectful of. I flew home that night.

Brick called me the next morning to see how it went with Sam. "I found him very interesting. I'll bet Sam was a terror in his younger days."

"Sam? He let you call him Sam. He doesn't let anyone call him that. What did you do to get that?"

"I don't know. We had a drink while his secretary was drawing up the contract. I had to sign it without you. I'll need you to look this over."

"Bring it up here. He used to really stick it to people, but I think he has mellowed in his old age. We'll see how much when I see that contract." I hung up and went up there.

He sat reading the contract for a few minutes. "Well, he either likes you or is really getting old. This is a limited contract to represent you for one month on one specific matter not mentioned specially. You should have no long-term problem with this. How much did he soak you for this month?"

"One thousand an hour. I gave him $5000 to start."

"Okay, he may like you, but business is business. That's high, but not too high. You'll be okay. Do you want to tell me anything about this?"

"Not yet. I may need you here in the city, but not yet.

I went back to my office to think.

If Susan Rotella doesn't want to talk to me, I have no more avenues available to find proof one way or another. I hope the friend's daughter has something and even cares.

I fell asleep that night thinking this case was vexing. It would get more so real soon.

cwcw99
cwcw99
143 Followers