All Comments on 'Back to Bristol Ch. 20'

by GaryAPB

Sort by:
  • 30 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
A Rat's Ass

Gary - - - I don't much give a rat's ass about what the various literary commentators have said about your story. I like it, and have enjoyed each installment immensely.

I think one of the most intriguing things is the between-the-lines pictures of what life in England is like.

Some call Chris a wimp - well, even a wimp can stick a knife in the right place and give it a half twist, and I think Chris has done well.

Molly's done little more than make a stupid mistake with what I shall call a self-admitted predator whose only real concern is to feel the innards of a vagina stroke his dong, and do it with no regard of anyone else, including the biggest victims, the children.

Fie on you naysayers and self-appointed critics. Leave Gary alone. As Eischied, famous TV cop of long ago would have said, "You done good".

Thanks, Prof Ramstein

AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
gary stop thinking so much and ask molly

communication has been the down fall of this marriage from the jump.sit down and talk to molly and no body else but molly and see what she and the boys want to do.

Paniolo BoyPaniolo Boyover 16 years ago
Carry on Gary APB!

I said it before in an earlier chapter, for those who don't like this story, go read something else. For those of us who do, we hope that Gary will release the chapters that follow quickly! We're dying to know the outcome!

AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
Boooooooring...

This story should have ended many, many, many, many, many chapters ago.

AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
Boooooooring..

is reading complaints from someone who could have read something else and complained about it.

Great story and quite interesting.

Thanks for sharing it with those of us who appreciate it.

MetzovMetzovover 16 years ago
It's a shame

That an author that takes the time to to write and post a well written in depth story has to put up with trolls. If he finds it so boring when it seems funny that he's back making comments after 20 chapters. Make note that each of the chapters so far has a red H next to it. So maybe the rest of us see something you're to shallow to notice.

AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
*sigh*

the main characters are kinda disappointing. especially Molly. what a bitch. and Chris, well, he is a vengeful prick. still bitter after all those years. sad. and the Peter character is now reduced to whiny, insecure man. he is a scientist, was a player and now have his own money. he was a dog and now the author is portraying him as a pussy? oh well.

JennyBearJennyBearover 16 years ago
I loved it

I have been waiting for the show down between Molly and Peter . Gary did not disappoint me. The dialogue was superb not only in this scene but the entire chapter. As for the content I loved it. Molly and Chris have finally put Peter behind them. I don't feel sorry for him at all. He was a despicable character and finally got his just due. This is my favorite chapter so far.

bruce22bruce22over 16 years ago
Your faithful fan

loves it, as ever. I have to admit that this scene of confrontation did more to flesh out Molly than to make Peter seem a real person. I feel that I know more about Frances Parkinson than I do about Peter!

The character I would love to meet in real life is Piers McBaine and have him give me one of those tours!

The idea of blue-skying the future sounds like an important business technique being applied in Chris's personal life.

I think more people should do it, but, if I had applied it when courting my wife of 42 years I probably would have run to the nearest exit and we have had a great trip!

AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
no longer Painted in the corner

I have become a GaryAPB partisan. No, not all "Chapters" are equally good; I thought 19 dragged a bit. 20 absolutely sparkles. The Peter scene covered all the ground it had to quickly, efficiently and, well, perhaps stirringly. End paragraph. The immediate segue into the divergent goals of Chris and Molly was clearly stated and a new major conflict. We all know, if we have read the commentary, that in fact that the story is done and we can’t influence the ending but here's hoping that the Peter situation is buried and we can now move on to the Chris and Molly resolution. End Paragraph. Mrs. Parkinson has chimed in, clearly expounding the costs of Chris's business goal on his own, his wife's and children’s lifestyles. Given Chris's long stated desire to know his boys and participate in their development, I know what his decision should be; kids first (Actually was for me, at one point in my life.) End Paragraph. Since Gary is done with this one, I can't influence him immediately but I will say that after I left a firm that would have separated me from my kids in a relocation, I found a career track in another firm whose locations were much more aligned to my needs. If I had been more clever or better understood, I might have gone all the way to the top there. I went further than most, as it turned out. Chris really doesn't need the swank he suddenly admits is a part of his dreams, he needs power and, for a hell of a lot of executives, it means a penthouse flat in London or New York or commutes from the upscale suburbs. In that way, Molly could have her domestic life while being there as Chris’s rock and foundation. I hope that Gary has yet one more revelation for Chris and this is how it plays out. It finally did for me, after many trials and tribulations.

AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
END IT, PLEASE!

For pete's sake, END IT!! you just keep on writing drivel and dragging it out. It's boring!!

easylivineasylivinover 16 years ago
Nice attempt

If Chris was mature enough to have climbed the ladder this quickly, he would have....

1 Done all of this at the original incident, and saved his family all of this pain. He simply gave up.

2 Molly spent most of her time since the incident lying to herself and those who were supposed to be most important to her.

3 Mistakes were made by all, but this comedy of errors is beyond belief.

4 The only redeeming aspect of this story would be if the boys would finally have a stable family life, and I'm sure that this story will end before they reach adulthood.

All in all, I've no respect for any of the main characters in this series. I am glad that others can see quality in this work, because there should always be freedom of expression.

AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
Chris needs a wake up call

Chris needs to wake up and see what he's got with Molly and take her back wart's and all.

capecodmercurycapecodmercuryover 16 years ago
Layers and layers

Gary, in this chapter, we see the fruits of the foreshadowing you have been doing ever since Peter started his obsessive quest to win Molly back. The end of this chapter takes this story in a delightful twist. <p>

All of a sudden Chris is seeing that, maybe, just maybe, there is some truth in the comments made by Peter and by Susan about whether Molly can be happy with a man who is goal and success oriented. He is beginning to question whether he and Molly have enough in common to bring happiness dispite the differences in what they want <p>

Dare I say it, maybe in the end Susan was right? Not in her methods or in her schemes. Not even in her reasons for trying to break up Chris and Molly which were totally selfish.<p>

But, I have to ask, would the Chris of 4-5 years ago have gone through this type of analysis or would he have simply assumed that Molly would have been happy with whatever decision he made. Were Susan's instincts correct in doubting whether Chris could make Molly happy in the long run? Would his ambition result in the destruction of the marriage in the long run?<p>

All in all, it raised a delicious irony to the end of the story.<p>

CCM

studebakerhawkstudebakerhawkover 16 years ago
What a ride!

I apreciate the depth you give your stories Gary, but lately I find myself increasingly grateful (and more than a little surprised) that you still leave the comments section turned on. Thank you. As far as the story goes, Peter is undoubtedly a weasel. Still, I find myself respecting his fight for his marriage, even if that marriage only exists in his head, much more than Chris's whimpering acceptance when Molly left him. Once again, thanks for sharing, Gary, I'm enjoying the ride.

AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
Still reading

I'm still loving this story - checking in for my daily installment. I am really looking forward to the resolution. While I think getting back together would be too easy, I am suspecting some shenanigans from Peter too - might he be dangerous?

Keep writing - I'm so enjoying it.

curious2ccurious2cover 16 years ago
I'm still here reading as well, and happy to boot!

This story is coming along nicely and quite well. In a long novel length story such as this there is always room for improvement from one person or another's point of view but overall this has been a great story and I love it.

Showing the humanness of feelings the foilables of human nature, very well placed too I might add, and how the mind and nature of mankind can lead one to act in unusual and different ways than normal.

Great Job so far GaryAPB. Thank you for sharing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
Chris dreams of boarding school for his boys?

So Chris says that when he envisions his "dream" future, he sees: "I guess it's me coming home to a Manhattan penthouse apartment. A chauffeur driven limo, of course. My wife waiting for me on the terrace, with dry martinis at the ready, and she's dressed in a beautiful designer ball gown. I just have time to shower and change into my tux, before we are whisked off in that same chauffeur driven limo to some opening somewhere. As we drive, we put in our daily call to our boys, who are in boarding school back in England, and we tell them how we're looking forward to our family holiday on our yacht down in the Bahamas, say. How's that? It's a long way from a farmhouse kitchen in England."<br><bt>

Um, wow. So in earlier chapters, I was irritated that Chris' idea of fatherhood was spending a Saturday bike riding with his kids, but otherwise not in their daily lives. Now he's ready see them only two or three times a year for a week. Perhaps this is just a regional difference, between England and the U.S., and in England it feels more natural to not want to have your children around very often. All I know is that with each chapter, I find Chris less and less likeable as a person. Is it wrong of me to hope he ends up with a case of the clap? Probably so, yet I can't seem to stop hoping he gets some sexually transmitted disease -- nothing fatal, but something painful and really embarrassing. He's such an ass.

<br><br>

Okay, I'll stop reading and commenting now. It's not right when all I can say is negative. I was thinking maybe Chris would redeem himself in my eyes, but chapter after chapter of his self-centered drivel has made me give up hope. Sorry Gary. I wanted to like your protagonist, but I just can't.

Nightowl22Nightowl22over 16 years ago
Well, It still looks bad

for the home team.. Yeah, boarding school for the boys.. And that's after all the time he's putting in with them.. Guess he figures he's already spent a lifetime with them.. But he sees only unhappiness for one or the other so he goes his seperate way!! And Molly will have her home life with the boys.. Well, it was almost, wasn't it??

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Enough already

This could have been enjoyable but the author must be getting paid by the word. How many endless discussions with the same people saying the same things over and over can a reader stand. One star.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
Wow, didn't expect that

Congrats. Another good chapter. Four out of five. I really enjoyed Molly crushing Peter. I thought something would interfere with that. But what a grenade Chris's boss's wife has thrown in the room, I didn't see that coming. I think that is going to do a lot more harm to Chris and Molly than anything Peter or Susan can do. I really have no idea how this is going to end. Reconciliation is no longer assured. Cheers Steve

PowersworderPowersworderover 5 years ago

This chapter sucked. Peter was a slimy piece of shit that fucked up a loving marriage. He deserved no consideration, and Molly messing around feeling sorry for him is an insult to Chris.

If she really loved Chris, she should have taken the opportunity in that meeting to totally destroy Peter. She needed to tell him he had a smaller cock, laughed at his attempts to get her off, and told him she only orgasmed when he went down on her, because she was thinking about Chris at the time. Then she could tell him how she's been blowing Chris almost every night, that he's started fucking her ass again, and that she was so happy to be with a real man who knew how to satisfy a woman in bed.

Then Molly and Chris could both laugh at Peter as he fled from the room in tears.

widowedidiotwidowedidiotover 3 years ago
Wow.

I´ve just read two chapters of this book. The first was when he finally got to take his boys out. But now this one has really turned me of from reading anymore. Kicking your kids out of the house and turning them over to some school? Really? I don´t understand how somebody can claim to love his children and then ship them of to somebody else to raise for them. I´m sure theres no bonding between parent and children in this type of life. What kind of memories will your kid have if somebody else taught him how to ride a bike, taught them how to swim, drive a car play ball or soccer? A child is an angel from god entrusted to you so you can raise and nurture that little angel. But you just cant wait to pack them of to somebody else.

irinmikeirinmikeover 2 years ago

Great story exceptional

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Good, but overly long story. “Myself,” is only appropriate when used with a reflexive verb, as in “I shaved myself”; It is never a subject of a sentence. The author uses “which” when “that” is correct and then does a reverse and uses “that” when “which” is proper. “Your” and “you’re” are often entangled. These characters are supposed to graduates of superior English public schools, but often don’t sound like it. Some of these malapropos are jarring.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

The sudden change in how he views his kids in order to drag out the story and create new drama was extremely disappointing, especially after he had just recently been so adamant that he wouldn't take a job somewhere else and be away from his kids. Staying true to the characters you created is a key to writing a good story.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Why do I get the feeling that he wants to ask Frances to help him buy the Exeter plant from ITI, so he can run it and make his own money to give Molly her dream of a farmhouse and stable life in the UK. Sure, it would be scaling back on his own dream, but it would be a compromise of both dreams, and he likes how that plant runs and could be better utilized to make more money.

I've been reading this story for the last 3 days, and for a while I thought we were just going round and round. But in this chapter things might be actually starting to happen and go forward. Finally. Yes, I'll miss it in another day or so, as I feel the characters are sitting in the room with me, telling their own story. Thank you for sharing them/it with us Gary.

Madeira1076Madeira10766 months ago

The characters are well thought. The conversations are or seem realistic. The only thing that is difficult is a guy as smart as he is, can't come to grips with himself.

It doesn't quite add up but the thought in the writing is excellent.

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

Here is what I find repulsive about this story: The MC has been banging on about how all he wants is to be a great dad and how much he loves his sons. AND he fucking want to put them into and institution!!!!!!!. It will be the masters and mistresses that shape the sons, give them direction and the same old system will be firmly entrenched for another century. A real dad wants to see their children and wife daily, to love and enjoy help and direct give reasons in person of what is right and wrong, moral and immoral. That is parenting 101 in any country or society.

The MC is a multi-personality wanker.

NallusNallus2 months ago

The guy is a sadistic, immature ass, needing to punish people to the extreme, only once questioning his motives. He is trying to wring as much pain from his nemesis, and then from his ex-wife.

Grow up!

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userGaryAPB@GaryAPB
Happily married for over 30 years, now semi-retired

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES