Bad Things Come in Three's

Story Info
It happened to me.
4.1k words
4.2
58.8k
58
Story does not have any tags
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Thank you in advance for reading my story. There is no sex in this one for those of you that like to know before starting a story.

I do read most of the comments and I do try to make adjustments to my style for those that have positive constructive comments. If you are posting a comment just to be mean, please don't. It would be a waste of time for both of us.

Bad Things Come in Three's

I can't say for sure that the old adage that bad things always come in three, but I can confirm it happened to me. My name is David Martin. I am 32 years old and married to Jennifer for the past 5 years. We live in a small town just outside of Omaha Nebraska. Jennifer's parents moved to Arizona 3 years ago and my parents live in a small town just north of Omaha. We have been a very close family, at least until recently. Let me start where things started to turn to shit and explain.

I received a call from my dad in February 2019 asking for Jennifer and myself to come over to their house on Sunday for lunch. We often would go over to my parent's place, so nothing seemed out of sorts. We arrived just before noon and I could tell this wasn't going to be a normal Sunday lunch. Dad looked stressed out and my mom couldn't maintain eye contact for very long before turning away. It looked as if she was about to cry. Instead of sitting down for lunch, we made our way into the living room where my mom told Jennifer and I that she was diagnosed with cancer. I was shocked by the announcement as my mom looked healthy and relatively young. She was a little older when she had me, her only child. My mom and dad were in their early 60's and should have plenty of years. I hadn't even provided them with any grandchildren as Jennifer and I were waiting until we were a little more comfortable financially before starting our family.

After I regained my composure, I asked a few questions. My mom explained that she had Peritoneal Cancer which attacks the lining of surfaces. My mother's cancer was within the lining of her abdominal cavity. Her doctor had given her a fairly good prognosis, but with that type of cancer, it isn't often identified until it is fairly advanced. My mom had some swelling in her abdomen and went to her doctor to explore. Mom was set to start chemo treatments every 3 weeks to get her cancer under control. We all hugged and cried before my mom stated that she didn't want to see any more tears. She wanted everyone to support her in the fight of her life.

Fast forward to the end of May 2020. My mom had been battling her cancer for just over a year. The chemo is starting to take its toll on her. She is looking older due to the chemicals (poison) that is being pushed through her body. My dad was looking very haggard as well. I thought it was due to the stress from mom's cancer, but we soon found out that wasn't the full story. My father had been experiencing other symptoms, but he was being stubborn and didn't tell anyone; including my mom. By the time my dad went to his doctor, it was pretty much too late for him. He was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer and given only a few months to live. My world was crumbling around me one brick at a time.

I started to spend as much time as I could with my parents. Jennifer would go with me most of the time. I was helping around the house with all of the upkeep and would even try to take my mom to her appointments if my work schedule would allow it. My dad entered hospice in August and passed away in the middle of the month. We laid my father to rest and I was solely concentrating on my mom to eliminate as much stress as I could. I was now her main support in her fight against cancer. I could see the desire leave mom after my father passed. Her body started to reflect all of the additional stress and she was retaining even more fluid in her abdomen to the point where they needed to complete a drain every 2 weeks. In early January 2021, I was informed by her doctors that due to the extended chemo treatments, my mom was developing a hole in the lining of her stomach that was allowing her bladder to push fluids into her stomach. This was causing an infection that wasn't going to be treatable. Essentially my mother was going to die from the infection. Chemo stopped and we were focused on pain management for the remainder of mom's life. Best guess was a month or two. It was at this point Jennifer stopped going with me to any appointments. Her involvement started to taper off just after my dad's funeral and now she preferred to stay home while I was helping mom. We had a few arguments as I couldn't understand why Jennifer wasn't more supportive. Jennifer's only response was that it was so depressing to be around my mother that she couldn't bring herself to come around. She didn't want to remember my mom that way was her go to response.

In March 2021, there wasn't much more we could do. I had my mom admitted into the hospital's comfort care program which means that they were only giving her morphine to control the pain. They eventually were going to add Ativan to the mix as we moved towards her final hours and days. They gave my mom 2 weeks at best.

As you can probably guess, the 3rd bad piece of news was about to hit. I was sitting with my mom when I saw a call come in from one of my oldest friends. Matt Givens was one of my closest friends since Jr. High. Matt wasn't a popular guy even through high school. Matt had always had this slimy personality which made him a great lawyer but not a great friend to most people. I was one if not the only exception. I figured the call was to check on my mom, but that was only part of the conversation. He asked me to step outside of my mom's hospital room so he could share some additional news.

"David, I hate to be the bearer of more bad news, but I wouldn't be a very good friend if I didn't tell you. I had just finished a client meeting when we went to an upscale bar not far from my office. We were sitting at a table towards the back of the bar when I saw Jennifer walk in with one of your friends. That guy Brett."

"Brett Mitchell?" I asked.

"Yea, that guy. Anyway, I thought they might be coming to have a beer with you, but when they sat down in a booth, Jennifer sat really close to Brett and remained there for the entire time they were there. I caught them kissing a few times and even got a couple of pictures."

"Dammit Matt, I don't need this right now. My mom is about to die and now you are telling me Jennifer is stepping out on me. I can't believe it. My life is shitty at best and it is now getting worse?"

"I'm sorry David. You know I couldn't keep this from you. It does get worse. After my client's left, I sat there watching the two of them. After a couple of hours, they paid their tab and were ready to leave. I decided to follow them. I was able to get an Uber around the same time as they did and had my driver follow them for a while. They looked like they were headed to your house so I had the driver drop back a little and I saw them go into your house. I had the driver drop me off down the block by the park. I could still see your house from the park and waited for over an hour before I decided they may not be coming out very soon. I called another Uber and went home. I'm sorry David. I wish it wasn't true but I have a few pictures."

"Oh man, this is too much to take."

"David, if you want, I can have my PI guy follow them for a little bit to get you some additional information. Let me help you with this one. Focus on your mom and I will get some additional information."

"Thanks Matt. I know you are just being a good friend. Get me the information and if you see it is true, let's start the divorce process. Just let me know."

"I'm on it David. I will even waive my fees and do this one for free. Don't worry about any of the expenses. I have that covered. You are really my only friend and I always appreciated that about you growing up. You worry about your mom. I'll be in touch."

And with that, my entire life was in turmoil.

I really hadn't told Jennifer much in regards to the change in status for my mom. She didn't know that my mom was essentially on her death bed. I would go to the hospital right after work and stay until they kicked me out. On the weekends, I was there the entire day. It was going into the 2nd week when my mom was no longer conscious. I would sit and hold her hand. The nurses would come in every 3 hours to give my mom more morphine and Ativan. She was never going to be able to talk to me again. It was just a waiting game.

Matt called me and confirmed the PI had in fact verified Jennifer was having an affair. He told me he had enough evidence that confirmed everything. I told him to start the process as soon as he could. Matt said he had a surprise in order and would have her served within the next few hours. I didn't ask for any additional details. As I sat with my mom, the nurses didn't even kick me out that night. They knew it wasn't going to be long before my mom passed. She was starting to show signs of mottling. This is where the feet and hands start to get these purple or reddish blue coloring because everything is starting to slow down. Once you see signs of mottling, it normally isn't too long before the individual dies. As it would be, my mother passed away at 2:12 AM the following morning. I sat with my mom for a few hours and finally the mortician came and moved my mom.

I was now all alone. No direct family to share my grief and soon I wouldn't have a wife either. I sat in the hospital chapel for quite a few hours before I even thought about what I was going to do next. I decided to go to my parent's house since I had no intention of seeing Jennifer. I walked into the house and crashed from sheer exhaustion.

I awoke the next morning and turned on my cell phone. I had shut it off yesterday after Matt said he was going to serve Jennifer. I didn't want any calls or text messages while I was with my mom. I saw quite a few calls and text message from Jennifer, but I deleted all of them. I saw a text from Matt to give him a call when I was ready to talk. I had a list of things to do for mom's funeral, but I decided to reach out to Matt to get a status.

"Hey David, how is your mom?"

"She passed away early this morning."

"I'm so sorry David. Is there anything that I can do? Anything you need?"

"Thanks Matt, but I have my list of things to do but I appreciate you asking. What is the update on my divorce?"

"Jennifer was served around 6:00 PM last night. Do you want the details?"

"Might as well. Give it to me"

"Well, we had good information that Jennifer and Brett were going to meet for dinner at that new restaurant in Elkhorn. I had the process server follow me over there and just as Jennifer and Brett finished ordering their meal, I approached their table with the server as my date. I went up to their table. Jennifer was NOT comfortable seeing me there. I think she would have left if I wasn't standing in her way. Anyway, I introduced my "date" to Jennifer giving her last name as well. The process server was great. She asked Jennifer if she heard her name correctly as Jennifer Martin. Jennifer said yes and the server gave her the envelope telling her she had been served."

"Oh wow, that was pretty slick. Anything happen after that?"

"Essentially, I looked down at the two of them and told them they were the most disgusting two people that ever lived. This coming from a lawyer even. I asked her how she could even think about having an affair while you were dealing with the death of your parents. I looked at Brett and said I hoped his dick fell off for doing this to a friend."

"Thanks Matt, I appreciate the support. What now?"

"We now wait until she either gets a lawyer or we get a hearing. It is good we started on the divorce to avoid any question on your inheritance from your mom's passing. I don't know if there is anything significant or not, but she shouldn't be able to get any of those assets. Again David, let me deal with this. Focus on your mom and her funeral. I'll keep you informed. Don't do anything stupid though. If you can stay away from her, all the better. If she wants to talk, tell her to come through me. Okay?"

"Yea, I can do that. I will try to get mom's funeral done sometime this week, but I will let you know."

I was able to get the funeral arranged for Saturday, so I had a few days to get things in order. Since I just went through the process with my father, I had a pretty good idea of what needed to be done. The phone calls and text messages from my soon to be ex-wife started early in the morning. I read a few of the text messages and a couple of the voice messages and it was pretty much the same thing. She wanted to talk; she wanted to stay married; etc. The usual stuff being stated over and over again.

I contacted my boss and let him know that I would be out for the remainder of the week and would try to be back to work on the following Monday. He was more than understanding and offered any assistance he could provide. I loosely let him know that I was also going through a divorce in case I needed some time later to attend any court hearings. He couldn't believe I was dealing with all of these issues at the same time. He strongly encouraged me to reach out through HR to meet with a specialist to help me deal with the grief for my parents and my marriage. I promised I would do that as soon as I could.

As I sat down to relax for the evening, I heard a knock on the door. Looking out a side window, I could see Jennifer standing on the doorstep. I wasn't ready for a confrontation, so I just let her knock. She spent about an hour on my doorstep and waiting in the driveway before she finally left. She sent a text message asking me to speak with her. She also promised she would continue to come back to the house until I spoke with her. I deleted the text without responding.

One thing I decided to do was write Jennifer a letter so that she could hear the effect her cheating did to me. Not sure she cares, but hopefully it would outline there wasn't a path for us moving forward. Who knows, maybe it will be therapeutic for me as well. I finished the letter and pinned it to the front door. Why not save the money for a stamp.

The following day, Jennifer must have stopped by the house. The letter was gone, but she was no where to be seen. I didn't have any calls or text messages from her either. Maybe the letter worked. I contemplated calling Matt, but I was too tired to get into anything heavy tonight, so I went inside and made a quick sandwich and relaxed on the couch before heading to bed. Some of you maybe wondering what the letter said, so I thought I would share it with you now.

Jennifer,

Ever since I have known you, I have counted myself as one of the luckiest people in the world. There wasn't anything that I wouldn't have done for you. I always thought we were meant for each other and I had no problem expressing that to anyone who asked.

When we were married, I gave you my heart. It was yours for as long as you wanted it. I had planned on you having it until the day I died. I thought you had done the same to me; that your heart was mine and I would have it until the day you died. I never considered anything else. I treasured your heart and I was committed to keeping it safe and protected. No one would ever be able to harm you as long as I lived if you would just love me.

When my mother was diagnosed with cancer, I looked to you for support. I looked to you to help share the burden. When my father was diagnosed with cancer, I thought that at least if God made the decision to take both of my parents, at least I had my loving wife to help me through the hardship and grief. We would be there for each other. You were my family; all that I had left. At my father's funeral, I was sitting in the front row at the church with my mom on one side of me and my wife, my rock was sitting next to me holding my hand. The hug that you gave me after the ceremony was exactly what I needed to get through the day and to move past my grief. I never felt more love from you.

The day I received the call that you were having an affair with one of my friends, I couldn't hardly believe that the woman I loved more than life itself wasn't there for me. The women I loved was no longer in love with me. The love and trust I had in you wasn't going to be returned. My heart that I had freely given to you to hold and keep safe was discarded with the morning trash. Crushed isn't strong enough of a word to describe how I felt. The shitty part is that I still needed to be there for my mom. I couldn't let my despair have an effect on her. She didn't need to carry my burden. I needed to carry hers. And now I was alone carrying everything myself. You can't imagine how difficult that is to accomplish; to have both of your parents leave you and the one person I thought I could count on was having an affair. The pain of that realization is unbearable.

Now that my mother has passed, I will be sitting in the front row of the service all by myself. Think of that image as you ask me to forgive you. Think of the pain and grief I am going through when you ask me to overlook your transgressions. THINK OF THAT AS YOU SAY YOU LOVE ME! No, the woman I married would never do that to the man she said she loved. You are no longer that woman I married. You have become something else; something that I can't and won't ever be able to understand.

So, NO I don't forgive you. No, I don't love this version of yourself that you have become. When I bury my mother, I will also be burying my marriage. I will grieve for both and then no more. I will move forward the only way that I can; one step at a time. For a while, I thought that we would be taking those steps together. Now I will be taking it alone. All of my pain and anguish will only make me stronger.

I would wish you well as we go our separate ways, but I really can't do that. I hope you never have to experience the pain I am going through in the same fashion that I now have in front of me. That is a cruelty that no one should have to experience. But that wasn't a concern for you. You have to be one of the most selfish and cruel people that I have ever met. I can't love someone who would even consider doing this to someone else.

If you ever see me again, do me a favor and turn and walk the other way. I don't care to see even your shadow again. There is a special place in Hell for people like you is all that I can hope.

Tell Brett to keep his head on a swivel.

David

A few days later, I sat in the front row of the church awaiting the start of the service. I was ready to take on this burden. I was deep in my own thoughts when I noticed a young lady sliding into my row. I have never seen this lady before, but she looked at me with the most caring set of eyes I have ever seen. She leaned over to me and simply said, "No one should ever be alone at a time like this." She took my hand and held it the entire service.

After the ceremony, the same lady came up to me and introduced herself. "My name is Emily. I knew your parents fairly well. They used to come into the coffee shop that I owned in town. When your mother got sick, your dad would take her some tea that I would make especially for her. When your father passed away, I went to his funeral and sat in the back of the church. I noticed you had your mother and another lady beside you. When you sat in the church today for your mom, I didn't see the other lady. I couldn't have you sit there all alone. I took your hand so you knew you had support from other people in your time of need. I hope you found some solace in my actions." And then she walked away. She never asked for anything from me. She simply was there in my darkest hour to help with my burden. It felt nice to have someone there for me. Yes, Matt was in the row behind me with his hand on my shoulder, but that is different from having a woman holding your hand. It just feels different. I can't explain it any better than that.

12