Balance of Power Ch. 02

Story Info
Strange crimes amidst political shenanigans.
15k words
4.84
7.5k
6

Part 2 of the 3 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 05/17/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This story is part of an ongoing series. The chronological order of my stories is listed in WifeWatchman's biography.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas.

This story contains graphic scenes, language and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racial language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

***

Part 5 - War

A perp raised his tire iron, ready to smash Davies's head. He swung down...

*CLANG!*

The blow was intercepted... by a red crowbar. The man looked up into the gray eyes of Your Iron Crowbar, and what he saw was frightening to any lawbreaker. I smashed my fist into his belly, then as he doubled over...

*WHAM!*

... my red crowbar came down hard on his back, Then I turned to one of the other men trying to hold down Davies. I swung again, catching him on the shoulder. Lucky for him... I'd been swinging for his head.

*WHAM!*

As I began tearing apart the thugs, Cindy was on the other side of the car, and she was not sparing the rod... er, crowbar, on the men that were assaulting Tina. Cindy did catch one guy in the face, and though his forearm partially caught the blow, his nose was smashed in.

"Let's get out of here!" one man yelled out, but that was stymied as marked and unmarked TCPD cars came flying up, blue LED lights blazing. Officers poured out of the cars, but held back until Cindy and I were finished.

"I give up! I surrender!" one man said, going to his knees with his hands up. I threw a haymaker right in his face, feeling his nose collapse against my fist as I solidly connected. The guy fell back to the ground.

"I'm not accepting surrenders, thug." I growled, my voice gravelly. Unfortunately, Lt. Rudistan led the Officers in to take custody of the thugs before something really bad happened to them as Cindy and Officer Joan Laurer tended to Tina...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

12:00 midnight, becoming Monday, September 16th. I came into my office, followed by Cindy and Paulina Patterson. I was surprised to see a fresh pot of coffee waiting for us.

"I deduce that Lt. Jerome Davis is here." I said. Cindy nodded as she poured us all mugs of the most very needed beverage.

It'd been a busy evening. We'd barely gotten the perps through booking when an NEA lawyer, wearing a $5000 suit, who had a bulldog thug face that Chief IV might love but even the man's mother wouldn't, came in demanding to speak to his clients before we talked with them. By the time he was done, every one of the perps were taking the Fifth.

But I had used the time wisely, and at 10:00pm, the perps were hauled into Night Court. Judge Rodney K. Watts had come in, and despite the protestations of the NEA lawyer, he denied the perps bail on charges of assaulting a County Fire Officer, attempted rape, assaulting Police Officers, resisting arrest, and for some, violating their bail. All six of them had been arrested at the public Council meeting just days before, and released by Judge Harry 'Spud' Nance.

And speaking of Judge Nance: he had come in, possibly alerted by his NEA cronies, but he was too late, and he was visibly furious that Watts was there already. He was about to raise Cain, but it was possible that a green crowbar had blocked his path, and the look in the ice blue eyes of the platinum blonde holding that crowbar bespoke a strong desire to cause Nance pain.

But he only backed off when his cellphone rang and I said "Answer it." It was Judge Folsom, the chief judge, who ordered Nance to back off. Nance left, his face a mask of utter fury. I made a joke about his face freezing into that look, which did not help his mood very much.

Back in the present, I said "Okay, every one of these bozos were arrested at the Council meeting. All of them have current or previous membership in the NEA. Can we go after the NEA itself, call them a domestic terrorist organization?"

"Probably not." Paulina replied. "We'd have to prove someone in the NEA's leadership sent them to do it. If you can put together a money trail, that would go a long way towards it, but it'd still be a tough sell."

"Yeah," I said, "but I'd love to do it, just for the publicity and to make them have to defend their actions. Anyway, these guys are denied bail, and the charges are serious. By the way, how's Tina?"

"She'll be okay... I think." said Cindy. "She gave her statement to Julia Rodriguez pretty calmly, and we have it on videotape. We let her go home, but she'll be talking to Laura tomorrow. Davies was checked out for a concussion from when they slammed his head to the street, but he appears to be okay. We got there before they could do too much to him. He's angry more than anything else."

"How did you guys know to be there?" Paulina asked.

Cindy and I gave each other a 'look', then I said with a grin: "I'm not sure we should tell someone in the District Attorney's Office." It was Paulina's turn to give us a 'look'.

"Okay." I said with some amusement. "The other day at the Cop Bar, Davies was at our table on the outside deck when I noticed some people in a car watching us. I got the tag number of the car, and it was one of those six bozos that are polluting my jails now. So we knew that they were watching us, and it occurred to me that it might be Davies they were following."

"So they thought he was the easy target?" Paulina asked.

"Maybe." I said. "I'm sure they knew that if they'd taken on the Green Crowbar, they would've gotten hurt far worse than they did tonight. Anyhoo, Teresa had a second shift plainclothes patrol in an unmarked car follow Davies around, and she herself followed him from the Catholic Church. When they saw something suspicious, they called it in, and Cindy and I were sitting in the neighborhood, waiting for them to arrive. The perps attacked almost directly in front of us, and the rest was easy."

Cindy said "And I'm sure they'll think twice about attacking Davies or Zoe Singer again, seeing how fast our reaction was to the attack on Davies tonight. They've got protection from Deputies and loyal Firefighters now."

Paulina asked "Why were the NEA's thugs attacking Davies, though? I'd think they'd concentrate on someone else, like pro-Charter teachers. Is Chief Quinlin part of it?"

I said "Under the 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend' concept? Maybe, but I don't think it's Quinlin. He's opposed to the new EMS, but to that level?"

Cindy said "I understand what you're saying, but Chief Quinlin has been getting more and more arrogant, lately. He went after you in that meeting, he's making those ads in clear defiance of County ordinances and the Sheriff's explicit instructions, and he's basically acting like he's desperate."

"True." I said "But I'm thinking of the more likely possibility: the Battalion Chiefs, especially Tucker. Would he work with the NEA to use violent means to stop the new Charter, and what he sees as his own demotion? You betcha."

"Well, we're not going to solve it tonight." said Paulina, getting up. "I'll see you guys in the morning."

"Give me a second, and I'll walk you out." I said. I gave instructions to take the perps to County Jail and put them in isolation where they could not communicate with each other. I told everyone I could find who was not on 3d shift to go home. Then I escorted Paulina out, and followed her home to make sure all was well with her...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Monday, September 16th, from the roof of the building on College and Riverside, with Police Headquarters in the background. "Channel Two News has learned that some of the protesters at last week's public Council meeting were re-arrested and jailed without bail!"

Bettina began: "Six persons were arrested last night after they allegedly assaulted Assistant Fire Chief Warren Davies. As these arrest photos show, they were severely beaten by Police Commander Donald Troy and other Police Officers at the scene." The mug shots were shown, and yes, it was obvious some of the perps had been on the losing end of the personal combat that had taken place the night before. "One of the arrested suspects said that he attempted to surrender to authorities, but was punched in the face by Commander Donald Troy while he, the suspect, was in a helpless position."

"The NEA, the powerful Teacher's Union, has demanded that Commander Troy be suspended without pay pending an investigation by the FBI and SBI." Bettina continued. "The NEA spokesperson also said that this Police brutality was out of frustration that the deeply unpopular new Charter is headed to certain defeat because of NEA and teachers's opposition to it."

Bettina: "And the pro-Charter group 'Citizens For Children's Education' filed a complaint with the FEC and State Election Authority over Fire Chief Quinlin and Battalion Chief Tucker appearing in a political advertisement in uniform, which violates County ordinances. They have called upon Sheriff Griswold to suspend the two Fire Officers. And now let's go to trusted political reporter Lester Holder for the latest news about illegitimate Mayor Daniel Allgood. Lester!"

"That's right, Bettina!" said Lester Holder, coming onto the screen from the same rooftop Bettina was on, but with City Hall behind him. "Channel Two News has learned that lawyers for Mayor Allgood have rebuffed a settlement offer by the U.S. DOJ Civil Rights Division, saying that the Mayor has done nothing wrong, and not only expects but demands his day in Court to battle the charges of racism being leveled against him. Civil rights experts say that the Mayor should have taken the generous offer of a settlement, as it is extremely likely that he will be convicted in the Court trial for racist actions against Council Member Reginald B.F. Lewis. And now let's go to Jeff Hull with Sports. Jeff!"

"Thank you, Lester." said Jeff Hull, perhaps not all that enthusiastically. "The Wildcats find themselves in familiar territory in the new polls, at No. 2, behind only No. 1 Alabama. Our University Bulldogs slipped from 10th to 12th place after a close overtime win against State U., with the Florida Gators and Ole Miss Rebels moving ahead of them..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"What?" asked Cindy Ross as we drank coffee in the Chief's Conference Room. "No 'Commander Troy refused requests for comment'? Whassup wit' DAT?"

"Fact izzzzz," drawled Chief Moynahan, "I had Captain Thompson call all the networks to say I wanted to go on air with a comment about the so-called Police brutality of those suspects. It was KXTC that could not be reached for a replyyyyy. I'll be on with KFXU during their 8:00am news report."

"Wouldn't do well for KXTC's narrative of Police brutality if the Police Chief is refuting it." I said.

"I noticed KXTC didn't discuss any polling data." Teresa Croyle said. "It is possible that's because the polling favors the Charter. At least Todd's polling does."

"So who is this 'Citizens for Children's Education' group?" asked Tanya Perlman.

I replied: "From what I hear, it's a teachers and parents group that is pro-Charter. They formed last week to oppose the NEA, which has been pressuring, harassing, and threatening teachers if they don't come out in strong opposition to the Charter."

"The NEA is getting desperate." said Tanya. "Trying to rough up the Assistant Fire Chief?"

"Worse than that." Cindy said levelly. "They were going to rape Tina Felton last night if we hadn't have gotten there in time. As far as I'm concerned... they've crossed the line. I'm not pulling my punches anymore, if the NEA is involved."

"Do not say that publicly, Commander Ross." admonished the Chief. "I'll have no problem refuting this Police brutality business... unless comments like those, however true, are allowed to be heard in public, especially by the Media..."

"Yes sir." said Cindy.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Hello and welcome!" said Catrina Pierce at 8:00am from the Fox Eight News studios. "I'm Catrina Pierce, and with me as always is Meredith Peller. Good morning, Meredith. How was your weekend?"

"My weekend was very good, Catrina." said Meredith. "And yours?"

"It was great." said Catrina. "Some great football games, and an upcoming vote on the new Charter. So what is the news this morning?"

Meredith said "Police arrested six men who attacked Assistant Fire Chief Warren Davies and his fiancée last night. Chief Davies was slightly injured and the perps attempted to rape his fiancée, but were stopped in time by the arrival of the TCPD."

Catrina: "Reports are that Police Commander Donald Troy and Deputy Police Chief Cindy Ross arrived at the scene and did not draw their guns in the suburban neighborhood, but engaged the perps in personal combat. The perps resisted arrest and assaulted the Police Officers, but despite the six-to-two odds, the Officers prevailed. Other Police Officers arrived and arrested the perps and took them to Police Headquarters for booking."

Meredith: "Judge Rodney K. Watts took the unusual step of opening his Court for a night hearing for the six arrested men. All six had been arrested at the previous week's public Town & County Council meeting, and had been released on their own recognizance in lieu of bail by Judge Harry Nance. This time, however, Judge Watts ordered all six to be held with no bail. All six have ties to the NEA, the powerful Teacher's Union, and the NEA has protested the treatment of the perps."

Catrina: "The NEA, which is providing legal representation for the six suspects, said that the Police exercised excessive use of force and brutality against the suspects. We have here with us Police Chief Sean Moynahan to address that. Welcome, Chief!"

"Good morning, Meredith. Good morning, Catrina." said a smiling Chief Moynahan.

"Chief, in the interests of fair and balanced coverage," said Catrina, "we're showing the mug shots of the six perps taken at their booking last night. They definitely lost the fight. Was this excessive by your Officers?"

"Noooo, Catrina." said the Chief. "Commanders Troy and Ross are very good at evaluating situations, and saw that the use of guns in that neighborhood constituted a potential danger to the innocent residents as well as Chief Davies and his fiancée. So even though they were facing six-to-two odds, they stopped the perps's assault with their tremendous martial-arts skills, and of course their crowbarrrrrrs. I do not bee-leeeeeve this was excessive use of force, but adequate force without using the lethal force of their service weapons."

Meredith: "Chief, Police reports say that all six suspects have ties to the NEA, the powerful Teacher's Union. Is the NEA acting like a domestic terrorist group?"

"We are still working on tying these men to the NEA," said the Chief, "and determining if the NEA was behind the attacks. As that investigation is on-go-innnng, I'll refrain from further comment on the case..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"He's good." said Your Iron Crowbar as my Angels and I watched in my office in prelude to the Angels Meeting. "Verrrry good."

"Think that'll restore our useless reputations?" Cindy asked, meaning it humorously.

"Not if KXTC can 'heppit'." I replied. "And seriously, I won't be surprised if the Board of Inquiry gets its last hurrah with this case."

"If the new Charter fails," said Teresa Croyle, "God help us on all the Boards of Inquiry they're going to force upon us."

"The Boards aren't the problem." I replied. "Finneran is the problem. If the new Charter fails, the Mayor is going to assert his power under the 'old rules' to force Finneran off the BOIs. It'll be an ugly fight, though."

"What Mayor?" asked Teresa. "They're doing everything they can to destroy Daniel."

"That's Iron Crowbar thinking, there." I said, pointing at Teresa in acknowledgement.

"And what's more," Tanya Perlman said, "Jack told me that the so-called 'settlement' would have required Daniel to resign as Mayor. Of course he refused to do that."

Teresa said "The DOJ's tactics are nothing short of a Mob shakedown."

"And that's why Jocelyn Moran was pulled from it." Tanya replied. "She's been accused of shaking down corporations with allegations of racism, making them pay the Government millions in so-called settlements. Some companies, like Nike, have told the DOJ to go to hell, but others settle rather than be bankrupted by the legal costs and the negative publicity."

"And they didn't expect Daniel to have the resources to fight them." I said. "But his legal defense fund was crowdfunded, or whatever the term is, and Mike G. Todd and Cy Hart are actually enjoying ripping the DOJ's lawyers new ones in Court."

Then, with a massively wicked grin, I said "They say it's as easy as what the Wildcats are going to do to the Bulldogs on October 26th!" Tanya and Teresa did not try to hold back on their laughter nor hide their amusement. Cindy, by way of contrast, had cold fire coming from her ice-blue peepers.

"Keep talking." the Green Crowbar replied. "After we stuff Clarence Appletree and kill his Heisman chances forever, we'll have Chief IV in for another victory lap around the Police Headquarters gym."

"And when Appletree or Washington wins that Heisman," I said, "I'm going to make you take a picture with it."

"Make me?" Cindy almost gasped. "You and whose army?"

"The Iron Army!" I said. "Iron Crowbar, Iron Wolf, Lady Ironside..." Teresa and Tanya high-fived through their laughter.

"Well!" Cindy said in mock exasperation as she stood up, "unlike your Iron Army twiddling your thumbs in here, I have work to do." I refrained from a biting reply as Cindy pranced to the door and exited the office.

"O-kayyyyyy, let's twiddle our thumbs running this Police Department." I said. "Whaddya got?"

Tanya said "Midtown PD called me just before this meeting. They're moving in on Cochise and the China One Car Shop. At least two of the high-class cars stolen up here are believed to have gone through his shop."

"Cochise's joint was not known as a chop shop." I said. "Though as a pass-through for the high-end stuff, I can see. Does Midtown PD have pictures?"

"It is possible that they do." said Tanya. "They didn't say any more on the phone."

"Who are you sending down there?" I asked.

"Roy McGhillie and Christopher Purvis were working on the car thefts up here." said Tanya. "But I was thinking of sending Roy with Julia Rodriguez or Theo Washington instead."

"Why not Purvis?" asked Teresa. "I'm asking for a friend, of course."

Tanya said "They don't call him 'Chris Pervert' for nothing. He's a good Detective, but he's quirky. I'm not sure he's the one we want MPD to be seeing in a cooperative exercise."

"And maybe you want Purvis to be in your new Intelligence Division, perhaps as the Senior Detective?" I asked with a 'knowing' look.

"Why, what an extraordinary thought, sir!" Tanya said with mock asskissing joviality. "That is certainly something worth consideration." Teresa was trying hard not to laugh, and she was failing.

"All right." I said. "But I want to go down there with them."

Just then there was a knock on the door, and Cindy looked in. "Go to PDTV2. You've got to see the ad they're running."

PDTV2 was internal Police Channel 2. I turned on the TV and Cindy used her Police iPhone app to run the DVD recording.

The ad showed Finneran and Silas from the Boards of Inquiry, together with Eldrick X. Weaver. Finneran was saying "The only protection blacks have against the Police brutality of Commander Donald Troy and Captain Teresa Croyle is the Board of Inquiry. But Commander Troy is re-writing the Charter to eliminate Boards of Inquiry, leaving blacks helpless in the face of Police racism and brutality. The Boards of Inquiry are the only thing keeping young black men from being lynched in this County."