Balance of Power Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I said "So he's harmless?"

"Relatively, as far as the Federal Government can tell." Melina said. "But he hasn't even come across their radar, at least not that I could find... and I can find just about anything, except McGinty's Materials."

"Those are as real as The Slender Man." I replied. "Okay, then. I appreciate you looking that up for me."

"There's one more thing." Melina said. "Captain Perlman is not an Agency of the Weak-Minded. She asked her fiancé, our SAC Jack Muscone, to look up Stevens. When I do it, no one will know about it. But Jack had his City Supervisory Agent Julius Jefferson look up Stevens, and it was an open search. My 'research' immediately saw that. They found what I found, but my point is that if someone is watching, they know who Stevens is by now."

"Hmmmm." I said. "Okay, thanks for telling me that, too. But it looks like this guy is just a nutjob, so unless he shows up at Point Hollow again, I'm not going to lose any sleep over him..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Everyone talked and ate from the buffet of finger foods, except me. I only drank Cherry Coca-Cola Zero, and did not eat anything. I realized I was a lot more keyed up and nervous than I'd expected to be.

"Relax, Don." said Edward Steele, coming to sit down beside me, also having made astute observations. "The votes are in, the die is cast, we win or lose. Nothing we can do about it now. I go through this every two years, and I've learned that 'it ain't a thang but a thang'."

"You're right." I said. "I've got a lot more on my mind than just this vote, but it'll be nice when it's all over. And I appreciate all your hard work on it, and guiding me through the shifting sands."

"And on behalf of everyone else, thank you for all your work on it." said Edward. "I don't think it would've gotten done without you leading it."

I made sure to share my sentiments of thanks to the other Commission members. After a lot more talk, I sat back and just observed people, and made some interesting deductions. That's what I do...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

At 10:00pm, KXTC came on with their news coverage: "This is Bettina Wurtzburg and Lester Holder at the Channel Two News Decision Desk!" said Bettina as she and Lester 'Penis Holder' sat at the anchor desk. "The votes are coming in, and it's too close to call. We do know that the northern suburbs are in, and the vote was 20% for and 80% against the new Charter. Numbers are still being tallied from the southern areas where minorities voted in huge numbers today..."

The second TV in the room (and on the big screens outside) was KFXU. Catrina and Meredith were behind a desk with their 'All-Star Panel' of Selena Steele, Alison McFarland, and surprisingly, Eldrick X. Weaver, who was well-behaved while on the air.

"So, Edward," I said, "how long before Selena takes over the bank from J.P. Goldman?" Edward, who was Selena's father, was wide-eyed with shock.

"How did you..." he gasped. Then he said "You really are almost as good at Carole at reading our minds."

"Not even close." I said. "But Selena's presence on that news panel, and her confidence and clarity are cluuuuuues. So what's going on?"

"After that poisoning incident," Edward said in a low tone (Author's note: 'Casting Aspersions', Ch. 02.), "J.P. has become really embittered at the Democrats. It was the plan all along to hand over the reins to Selena as the bank CEO, but J.P. sped up the timetable. He also wants Selena to run for his Council seat, and she's thinking about it a lot, and very positively. J.P. plans to devote all his remaining life and energy into defeating and destroying bastards and bitches like Reginald Lewis and Kelly Carnes."

I nodded, then Edward asked "So tell me... what's going on with the D.A. Office situation?"

I told him about D.A. Walters's plans to reorganize the D.A.'s Office, then finished with: "Miriam Walters will either step into the cow patty... or she won't. We'll just have to wait and see." Edward nodded.

At 10:30pm, my phone rang. It was the Superintendent of the Board of Elections, who oversaw the counting of the votes and certified the results, making her the second-most powerful person in the County, after the Intendent Adele Peabody. It suddenly got quiet in the 'green room' as everyone realized who I was talking with.

"Mmm hmm..." I said. "Mmm hmm... I see... okay... yeah, release it whenever you're ready... okay, thanks for calling."

I hung up, and seeing all the people looking at me I said solemnly, my eyes downcast: "That was the Superintendent of the Board of Elections. The results are in, and certified..."

To be continued.