Balance of Power Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Miriam continued: "As an example from the past, after the Merger there were two Police positions that were not filled at the time: Commander and Deputy Chief. Over time, as the Police Force grew along with the Town & County, those positions were effectively filled. That probably should've happened with the DA's office, but they named them ADAs instead of DDAs. So we're just following some precedent in all this."

I again had noted that Miriam had glanced over towards me every few seconds, to see how this was going over with me. As she finished, she was understanding the concept of the silence in the room being 'deafening'." I also noted that everyone else had been glancing over at me, and I was getting the sense that Cindy was really trying to reach into my mind and read me.

"Any comments?" asked the Chief, looking right at me. But it was Cindy who spoke first.

"When will you be making promotions to ADA from DDA?" Cindy asked, her voice sounding calm, but her ice blue eyes boring into Miriam Walters's beady black peepers showing otherwise.

"That will be months down the road." Miriam said. "And not until it's determined that there is a need for that layer of supervision."

Then Walters attempted another line: "One other thing... you and your Detectives will be working with our DDAs, not future ADAs, once this is put in place. I know you have your opinions on who is best, and I'm not here to argue that with you. But by making this change now, you get to continue to work with the same people. They just have different titles and locations on the org chart."

She's trying, I thought to myself. She's a good politician; she's twisting the English language around to suit her agenda. She's even clutching at the straws of examples of my own promotion to suit her cause. But it's an insult to my intelligence to tell me that demoting Paulina is the best if not only way we get to continue to work with her. Fortunately for her, the Chief asked and the Sheriff ordered me to 'be nice'.

All eyes were now on me, and I knew I had to speak. I said "I've been asked to be nice, so I won't ask what happens if Savannah Fineman loses the Solicitor race to Ted Mason again. What I will say is this."

I straightened up in my chair and said (calmly) "Something I learned in the Army, as well as in my first civilian job, was that you can always give more, but to take away creates enmity. If you give someone a raise, that's good, they'll be loyal. But if you come back a month later and say 'we have to take your raise away', you'll create enmity, and disloyalty will result."

I continued: "And not just with the person you're taking from. You'll create enmity, or at least distrust, with those who remain. Most of them will wonder in the back of their minds if they're next, or if more will be demanded of them if they get to keep their raises."

"You made the example of my own promotion." I said. "Let me counter with another example from the Police Force: when we restructured to align the Detective ranks more similarly to other Police Forces in the State and the Nation, we did not demote anyone. At all. Those who were Senior Detectives, which outranks Sergeants, were left in those positions, and they're grandfathered in. The new structure only applies to new, incoming Detectives. By doing that, we did not create ill will within the Detective Corps."

"And sometimes nothing works to prevent enmity." I said. "When the Fire Department Battalion Chief position was scheduled to be reduced to the same level with Superintendents, we made clear it would not apply to the current Battalion Chiefs. But they still whined about it. So we went the other way; we upgraded the Superintendent position. The Battalion Chiefs whined about that. And then we raised the AFC and Fire Marshal positions, and the Battalion Chiefs called that a demotion of the Battalion Chiefs."

"My point to all this," I finished up, "is that if you take away, if you demote, if you elevate others and leave someone behind, or even just the appearance of it, you create enmity. And a plague of boils ensues. The Fire Department is about to erupt into chaos. And I believe it's the same with your ADAs... or could be. You have four left: Washington, Patterson, Fineman, and Gregory. If you demote any or all of them, you will create enmity, ill will, and not just with them. Make the structural changes if you wish. But don't take away from anyone, or leave them behind."

The Chief and Cindy were nodding vigorously in support of my words. Tanya's eyes were sparkling, which I knew meant she approved. However, I might as well have been talking to a slab of black marble as I looked into Miriam Walters's beady black eyes... as I saw that my words had no effect... or perhaps less than zero effect... on her.

"Thank you for your input, Commander." Walters said icily. Then she said to everyone "That's all I have. If any of you know anyone that might be a good Investigator for us, send me their résumé."

"Thank you for coming by, Ms. Walters." said the Chief. "I look forward to working with your new people." He got up, then the rest of us did, indicating the meeting was 'ovah'. He personally escorted the District Attorney to the front lobby...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Thank yooooo, Mr. Crowbar," said the Chief, "for not taking the District Attorney's head, even though she would have very much deserved it."

The Chief, Cindy, and I were eating lunch in the 'command' back room of the Cop Bar, which we had to ourselves; there was no one from the Fire Department's leadership in the room. I was having the Double Breakfast Cheeseburger Plate, Cindy was having the Fish and Chips basket, and the Chief was consuming a massive Chicken Salad.

Cindy said "And what you said was very good, maybe the best thing you could have said to her."

"I did not like it that she was trying to use yooooo as her example to demote the ADAs." said the Chief.

"Neither did I." said Cindy. In case you're wondering, I was not answering because I was stuffing my face with the delicious burger that had been expertly cooked to my most very happy satisfaction.

I finally said "Walters was just practicing her political skills, which are considerable. But she was clutching at straws, really reaching to make justifications for what she truly wants to do. And she did not like it one bit that I countered her example with one of my own."

"Do you think you changed her mind, at all?" Cindy asked.

"I may have delayed the inevitable." I said. "But that's all. She's going to do what she wants to do. But I'm not really concerned about that right now. I'm wondering what's going on with the Fire Department. And we have the Council meeting tonight. I will make my public report that the Charter is passed, and with that the Charter Commission will cease to be."

"I can tell you where the Fire Department is." growled the voice of Sheriff Griswold, followed by him coming up to our table. "If I can join you, that is."

"By all means, Sheriff." said the Chief. "Have some fries until you can order."

"I placed my order at the bar." said the Sheriff, taking some fries anyway. "As to the Fire Department, the Union grieved my actions to disallow Quinlin's retirement and to fire him without a pension, and to summarily fire Tucker. Both are suspended without pay. I thought it would take some time, but the Union agreed to meet with us and decide things tomorrow morning."

"That's good." said Chief Moynahan. "They're not going to wait for the Council to have input? Or a Board of Inquiry?"

"Who knows what the Council is going to do." growled the Sheriff. "My sources tell me that the Union knows they're going to lose, so they want to get it overwith and move forward. I suspect they want to force themselves to be the EMT's Union, as well. So... as you like to say, Crowbar: teachable moment! What would you two young whippersnappers do if you were me?"

Cindy said quickly and with alacrity: "I'd rip them both new ones, and fight the Union all the way. You can't let the insubordination go, Sheriff, and you delayed it for the election. If it were me, I'd bring the hammer down, and take Quinlin's pension away. I'd fire Tucker, and take away his years of service towards his pension, so that he can't get a County job for two years and get a pension."

The Sheriff nodded, then turned to me and said "Crowbar?"

I said "You might be surprised to hear this, Sheriff, but I might not act too hastily. First, I would hammer Tucker. Like Commander Ross said, I'd summarily fire him, and in such a way that if he gets another County job, his years with the TCFD cannot count towards a pension. Maybe even bust him down to Firefighter Apprentice and then put a boot in his ass."

"As to Chief Quinlin," I continued, "it depends on several factors. His years and record of service vs. the seriousness of this incident; how the Fire Department overall is going to take whatever you end up doing to him; and finally, the Union negotiation tomorrow."

I finished: "If it were me, I'd go in guns-blazing, then do the back and forth with the Union and work them down to my ultimate goal of allowing Quinlin his pension, but at a reduced rank, such as Captain... kind of like what Chief Moynahan did to Della Harlow. In exchange, the Union throws Tucker under the bus and you make a huge example of him."

"I like that." said Griswold. "And that's likely what is going to happen."

At that moment, the Sheriff's Double Cheeseburger Plate came, and we talked Police 'shop' as we ate our meals...

Part 14 - Ranks and Files

7:30pm, Wednesday, September 25th. I was in civilian clothes, though with my badge on my belt and my holstered gun under my armpit under the suit jacket. Teresa Croyle was in her 'black' uniform. We didn't know if there would be trouble tonight, and it was possible a lot of 2nd Shift Patrol Officers were patrolling right near City Hall.

I noticed that the crowd filing in was fairly large. There were a large number of blacks of various ages, but very few of them were wearing red t-shirts; most were nicely dressed. There were also a good number of people I recognized as schoolteachers. And there were a few unkempt persons, mostly young and white, wearing green PCGW t-shirts.

"What's with all the schoolteachers?" I asked Teresa.

"If you don't know, sir, I sure don't." Teresa replied.

"Well, keep your eyes peeled." I said. "It might be some NEA protest. If anything starts up, I want it shut down very, very quickly."

"Roger that, sir." Teresa replied, very eager to implement those instructions should it become necessary.

The Council Members filed in and took their seats. Mayor Allgood addressed the audience: "Because of the passage of the new Charter last night, we're going to have a lot of work to do tonight. So we're not going to have speakers address the Council tonight, except for the one that is required by law to do so. If you have an issue that needs quick redress, please fill out one of the forms in back, and someone will contact you."

The Mayor called for the lawsuits and other papers to be presented, and they were moved along. Then he said "Charter Commission Chairman Don Troy is recognized to speak."

I moved to the central podium and said "It is my duty and my pleasure to report to you that the new Charter was approved by a vote of the People of the Town & County yesterday. I have submitted a written report of the Charter Commission's actions, as well as another report that outlines what the Council needs to do in preparation for the implementation of the new Charter. And with this report to you, I am pronouncing the mission of the Charter Commission completed, and that the Commission is herewith dissolved."

The Mayor said "Without objection, enter that into the record." There were no objections. The Mayor said "Chairman Troy, on behalf of the Town & County Council, Assembly, and People, I thank you and your Commission for your hard work and the successful result of it."

Someone began clapping, and soon everyone was standing up and applauding. The people in the audience that were teachers were the first to rise up out of their seats, and the blacks in the audience did, as well. I would learn later that they were so happy with the School Board that they came to the meeting just to applaud me.

But it was not all good: the green-shirted environmentalist punks of the PCGW did not sand up, and I noted that Kelly Carnes and Malinda Adams stood but did not join in the applause...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Work began being done. The Council ratified the call for an election of newly created positions on Election Day, to fill a one-year term until the regular election, after which the terms would be two years, like most Town & County elected offices. The elections would be 'jungle style', where everyone runs on one ballot, with political affiliation listed by the person's name, and the top two in a runoff unless one person got 50% + 1 votes.

"I move," said Reginald B.F. Lewis, "to go into Executive Session, for the purpose of bringing back up and discussing the proposed promotions within the Police and Fire Departments. The Sheriff has also submitted names for the leadership of the new EMS, which will require ratification."

"Without objection?" said the Mayor. There was one objection, by J.P. Goldman, who requested and required a recorded vote. That vote was 10-0; Goldman was just being ornery. "Will Commander Troy and Captain Croyle join us?" said the Mayor...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I don't know how he did it, but as I walked into the private Council Chamber and turned sideways to sit down in one of the chairs against the left side wall, Sheriff Antonio Griswold had appeared out of nowhere and had come in right behind me. He sat down next to me, to my right. Teresa was on my left side, and the Sergeant-At-Arms was sitting a couple of seats down from the Sheriff.

"Can we get a report from the Sheriff on the status of the Fire Department, please?" asked Kelly Carnes. The Mayor looked over at Sheriff Griswold, who nodded and came up to the podium at the far (from the doors) end of the table.

"The Union grievance will be heard tomorrow morning." growled Griswold. "It is very likely that at the end of that meeting, the Fire Department will need a new Chief. I am submitting Assistant Chief Warren Davies to you for promotion to Fire Chief, in the event the vacancy comes open tomorrow."

Mayor Allgood said "I think we may have to wait until the vacancy is assured, meaning we'll ratify it next Tuesday, unless you guys want to have a special session." There were murmurs of general agreement over that.

Reginald B.F. Lewis then said "We have received a formal complaint as well as a lawsuit concerning TCPD excessive use of force in the arrest of six persons who attacked AFC Davies and his lady friend. While the initial motion to call for a Board of Inquiry was defeated, I am making a new motion---"

"Point of order!" snarled J.P. Goldman. "We voted that down already."

"The initial BOI request, yes." said Susan Weston. "But a new request based on the lawsuit would be considered a separate item."

"And I second that motion." said Kelly Carnes.

"You were not recognized, Mrs. Carnes." said the Mayor woodenly. "Let's get the legalities of this straight first."

"Here's a precedent." said Malinda Adams, sliding a file folder across the table to the Mayor. Daniel Allgood examined the contents.

"I have a different Point of Order." said Dagmar Schoen. "With the new Charter passed, aren't Boards of Inquiry a thing of the past, now?"

"No." I said, speaking up. "Though I'll be the object of the BOI, I'm compelled to say that the Boards of Inquest are part of the new Inspector General's Department. An Inspector General must be elected, and in general the Boards of Inquest won't be in effect until January 1st. So until then, it'll still be the old way of doing things."

"You're too damn honest for your own good, Crowbar." growled the Sheriff.

"It is what it is, Sheriff." I quietly replied. Then I spoke more loudly: "But I'll remind everyone that the Police Union will grieve any BOI that includes Finneran in any capacity based upon new evidence against him, and it'll be tied up for months. That's not a threat, just predicting the future."

"Commander Troy and his cover-up Union won't have a choice." said Kelly Carnes. "So what are you going to do, Mayor? Are we just going to sit here all night?

"Mind your tone, Mrs. Carnes." Mayor Allgood said flatly as he finished reading the material. "Yes, this case from several years ago might be a precedent, but it also could have been a wrong precedent. I think we need to get an opinion from the City Attorney."

"Why don't we come back to this?" said Reginald B.F. Lewis. "Since my motion was not seconded, I withdraw it." Teresa and I glanced at each other; we could both tell Lewis had something up his sleeve.

"Okay, let's talk about the Police structure, which will include some promotions." said Mayor Allgood. "The way this works is that the new Charter requires that all Precinct Captains are automatically promoted to full Captain at the New Year, and Supervisors and brevetted Lieutenant are promoted to full Lieutenant. Our mission, if we choose to accept it, is to make those promotions effective November 1st, if not sooner. Any particular date you'd like, Commander Troy?"

"October 1st." I said. "We have to have new badges made, and that'll take a few days."

"Including yours, Commander?" asked Reginald B.F. Lewis derisively.

"Including mine." I replied, not rising to the bait. When Teresa looked at me quizzically, I whispered "Tell you later." She nodded.

"Does this include the promotion to Operations Commander?" asked Susan Weston, also derisively.

"If you pass the new rank structure, yes." I replied.

"If this doesn't pass," said Sheila Sorrells, "will there be repercussions? Any problem for the Police Force?"

"Not really." I said. "But we like getting our candy, and Sheriff Griswold wants his four-star candy." Laughter erupted, and the Sheriff peered at me and then guffawed when he saw me grinning at him. Susan Weston looked furious; she knew that was a direct shot across the bow at her repeated comments about the TCPD giving out medals like candy.

"I'll tell you what." said Reginald B.F. Lewis. "I'll vote to pass this... as long as there's a provision in it to disperse the Detectives to the Precincts."

"Not gonna happen." I said. "And just so you know... even if you passed that, I'll just have all-day meetings and training sessions for the Detective at Headquarters. I will get around it. But it's not going to pass, because it will harm the Police Force... and only you and Mrs. Carnes actively want to harm the Police Force." That got me an ugly look from Carnes... but she did not deny it out loud.

"Why the hell not?" Lewis almost screamed. "What do you have against dispersing the Detectives? Why do you think that's such a bad thing?"

"Because if they're scattered like a covey of partridge across the County, they can't talk to each other face-to-face about their cases!" I all but yelled back. "They're a unit! a team!"

"I can wait until New Year's Day for my candy, Lewis." growled Griswold. "Your 'fake news' offer is a non-starter."

"How about this, then?" said Sheila Sorrells. "We pass the structure and promotions, effective October 1st.. if we get our Board of Inquiry."

"And Commissioner Finneran as lead examiner!" Kelly Carnes happily added...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"My badge says 'Commander'." I said to Teresa as we left after the meeting ended. "My new one will say 'Police Commander', since we now have Commander and Lt. Commander ranks, and 'Chief of Operations' and 'Commander of Operations' positions. So I'll be getting a new badge."