Balance of Power Ch. 03

Story Info
Election aftermath; new problems for the Iron Crowbar.
13.1k words
4.87
7.4k
6

Part 3 of the 3 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 05/17/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This story is part of an ongoing series. The chronological order of my stories is listed in WifeWatchman's biography.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas.

This story contains graphic scenes, language and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racial language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

***

Part 11 - The Results

"It wasn't even close." I said forlornly. Everyone groaned, but some were still watching me most very closely, especially Our Sheriff.

I couldn't hold it back any longer. I grinned and said "Only the Sheriff won by a wider margin than we did; the new Charter passed, 61.8% to 38.2%."

The room erupted into applause. Then the roar of applause in the main room outside could be heard as KFXU announced the results: "And the results are in!" said Catrina Pierce. "The new Town & County Charter passed by a strong margin of almost 62% voting in favor, while 38% voted against..."

There was much hugging and shaking of hands as we all celebrated. And then everyone but the Commission Members left and joined the now-large audience in the main room. Sheriff Griswold and Daniel Allgood walked to the podium, to large cheers.

"It's a great night for our Town & County!" said the Sheriff. "And now let's bring out the group that made it happen. Ladies and Gentlemen, the Charter Commission!"

I don't know why, but I had a fleeting flashback of being in a line to jump out of a perfectly good aircraft as we lined up to go through the door and on stage. The Rev. Williams went first, followed by Edna Carter, then me in the middle, then Edward Steele, then Savannah Fineman. The applause was huge, and the lights in our faces were bright, making it a bit hard to see.

Per prior arrangement, Town & County Councilman Edward R. Steele went up to speak for us. "Thank you all for coming, and for your support in this process, and getting it through the vote. We could not have done this without you!" Everyone cheered.

Then Mayor Allgood came up. "We asked these five Citizens to take on a tremendous task. They devoted hours of their time over several months, and worked tirelessly to produce a new Charter that will govern our lives for years to come. On behalf of the Council, the Assembly, and the People of the Town & County, as Mayor I would like to give you these tokens of our esteem."

Five young persons brought out five plaques, engraved on a silver (or chrome) plate with a wood background, that commemorated and thanked us for our service in the successful completion of writing the new Charter. The Mayor called out each name, and the audience cheered as they went up to receive their plaques. Mine was last.

"And last, but certainly not least," said the Mayor, "the Commission Chairman who put it all together and led the Commission to the successful completion of its goal, Don Troy!" Everyone cheered as I went up and received my plaque, which was like the others except for two things: it noted me as Chairman, and there were 'J' hooks attached to the bottom that curved forward.

The Mayor invited me to speak. I went up to the microphone and said "This was truly a team effort. My four colleagues on the Commission gave up hours of their time to work on this, and worked very well together out of diverse backgrounds to write this Charter for you." The audience cheered.

I continued: "And we had help from so many of you. We received input from many of you that took the time to attend our hearings, and that input was so valuable to us. I know that Mrs. Carter greatly appreciates the input from the County's teachers---" A huge round of applause broke out; I now knew where all the teachers in the room were.

"The input from our teachers was greatly helpful." I said. "I also appreciate the help of a great man, who has forgotten more than most of us will ever even know about this County's history, Sheriff Antonio Griswold!" Very loud applause for Our Sheriff.

"Thank you for your help, and for your votes." I said to finish, and began stepping back. I did not get far. And it did not take much deduction to know why those hooks were in my plaque.

The Reverend Williams had come up and put his hand on my shoulder to keep me in place. He said "If I may, Mr. Mayor..." he said. Daniel extended his hand towards the podium, and the Rev. Williams came up and said "No one worked harder on this Charter than our Chairman, Donald Troy." Applause broke out, then Williams continued: "Don Troy guided us through these waters and herded the cats, and the strength of his leadership is what led to our success. So on behalf of my fellow Charter Commission Members, I'd like to present you with this token of our esteem."

He held up a crowbar, only about a foot long and thin. But it was plated in brilliantly silvery chrome, and was designed to fit and hang under the plaque on the hooks. I accepted the crowbar and held it up for all to see as the audience applauded. Rev. Williams extended his hand, but that was not enough. I hugged him, then hugged the other four Commission members.

Then I went back to the podium. "This is technically our last Charter Commission meeting, and I announce that the Charter Commission is adjourned sine die!..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Our formal celebration party would be Thursday evening. The party began breaking up right after our speeches. I was quickly surrounded by the Press for comment, and I tried to bore them by saying the successful result was due to my Commission teammates and the People of the County. I didn't really answer the questions they were hurling at me.

It was after midnight when we finally got home to The Cabin. Teresa and Todd had come by and picked up their boys. After a few minutes of talk about the vote results, Molly and Maggie went to the other bedrooms to get some sleep. Paulina was already here, and staying for the night in the master bedroom with Laura and me.

Laura went up to bed, and I went out on deck with a celebratory single malt Scotch. As I sat in my usual place, watching the stars in the sky and the twinkling lights of the Town in the valley below me, I crossed my legs in the 'English' style, like a figure-4...

*PLOP!*

I looked down to see that Tiger Mom had jumped up onto my lap, and was now lying her body in a circle around my legs. I could feel that she was perfectly balanced, and I thought to myself that cats must just know how to do that. I began gently stroking her, and was rewarded with some of the loudest purring I'd ever heard; it was like a powerful motor somewhere inside her.

It was the first time Tiger Mom had ever let me pet her, and I availed myself of the opportunity for a long while...

Part 12 - Discipline

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Wednesday, September 25th, from the rooftop of the building at Riverside and College, with the Civic Center across Courthouse Square as the background. "The new Town & County Charter is now in effect!"

Bettina began: "In a stunning surprise result, the Town & County Charter proposal passed by a 61-38% margin, despite less than 20% approval in the northern County suburbs. We have with us Karl Frazier of Public Policy Polling to break it down for us. Karl!"

"Thank you, Bettina." said Karl Frazier from what looked like a political 'war room' in KXTC studios. "As you said, the overall result was 61.8 to 38.2 percent for the new Charter. The dismal results in the northern suburbs was more than offset by large approval majorities in the middle-class and relatively poor districts. Also, blacks voted for the Charter in surprisingly large numbers."

Bettina: "Karl, can you tell us why minorities voted for the Charter, when it does away with Boards of Inquiry that protected minorities from Police brutality?"

Frazier: "Bettina, our exit polling showed that the overwhelming reason stated by minority voters yesterday was the new School Board. Blacks valued better education for their children over all other issues."

Bettina said "Thank you, Karl!" then to the viewers: "Not everyone was happy about the result last night. Roll tape."

Tape rolled, showing one of the leaders of the NEA, the powerful Teacher's Union, saying in a speech at the losing gathering the night before: "Tonight was a devastating defeat for our hardworking teachers, and for education in the Town & County. But the NEA will continue the fight on behalf of our teachers and our children!" The tape cut off so that the weakness of the applause was not shown.

Bettina: "And in other news, Fire Chief Patrick Quinlin has called for a Press Conference at 8:00am, but did not give details of what it would be about. Sheriff Antonio Griswold had previously called for a Press Conference at 9:00am. KXTC will cover both Press Conferences."

Bettina: "The new Charter is now the cornerstone of the law, but many of its new provisions will not go into effect until January 1st. The Town & County Council will meet tonight, and they are expected to call for elections for the new School Board, Inspector General, and other newly created positions. These elections will be non-partisan free-for-alls, and will be on Election Day, Tuesday, November 5th. Runoff elections, if needed, will be on Tuesday, November 26th. Those wishing to run in the election must register no later than 5:00pm, Tuesday, October 8th."

Bettina: "And Channel Two News has learned that the Council may also ratify the new Police structure so that rank changes and promotions can take place on November 1st, if not sooner. They may also exercise a clause in the new Charter that will allow the Fire Department to use traditional bugle insignia of rank as well as gold insignia instead of silver in some instances. The Sheriff's Department will also receive those exceptions..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Chief Quinlin's presser? What's that about?" I asked as we drank coffee in the Chief's Conference Room.

"I'm not sure." said Chief Moynahan. "The Sheriff is not here now because he said he had called Fire Chief Quinlin and Battalion Chief Tucker to his office for a meeting at 8:00am. Looks like Quinlin doesn't want to be therrrrre."

"Looks like Chief Quinlin is trying to get a jump on things." said Cindy Ross. "I'll bet he announces his immediate retirement, so he can collect his pension."

"He can tryyyyyy..." said Chief Moynahan.

"What about Battalion Chief Tucker?" Teresa Croyle asked. "He only has 18 years, and no MOV upon which he can base a retirement claim."

"He's going to be summarily fired." said the Chief. "The Sheriff may give Quinlin the option to retire, but if he's not at that meee-tinnng..."

"So, Don," said Cindy, "congratulations on the Charter. How do you feel?"

"Thanks" I said. "I feel... well, mostly relieved. But it feels a lot like our criminal cases. We work on it, we finish it, and that's that and we move on to the next case."

"And your next case," said the Chief, "is our meeting with D.A. Walters at 11:00am. I had invited her to lunch, but she said she preferred to meet here at the Police Station."

"That's so she can get up and leave if you start giving her any lip about whatever she's going to do." Teresa Croyle very astutely said.

"I am surrrre," purred the Chief, "that both of my Crowbar Commanders will be on their very best behav-yorrrrr..."

"Yes sir." I said. "My very best behavior." Somehow, I don't think that gave the Chief a warm and fuzzy feeling.

Just then there was a knock on the door. It opened to reveal Lt. Jerome Davis. "Commander Troy," he said, "can you come to MCD for a moment?"

"Uh, sure." I said. I did notice as I followed Jerome into the hallway that the Chief and my Angels were following us.

And when we got to MCD, I knew why. When I came in, a large contingent of Detectives burst into a round of applause. Precinct Captain Hewitt and Lieutenant Rudistan were there, also. Along with doughnuts, there was a cake that had been brought in, a nice caramel cake. In white icing on the top, it said "Congrats on the Charter!"

"Aw, thanks guys." I said. "And I gotta admit: I need the sugar rush, so cut me a piece of that cake!" Everyone cheered, and a small morning party commenced.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

At 8:00am, my Angels and I were in my office. I turned on the monitor to KFXU.

"And here's Chief Quinlin to speak now." Priya Ajmani said. The camera turned to focus upon Fire Chief Quinlin, who was standing in front of Fire Department Headquarters.

"The People have spoken." said Chief Quinlin. "I accept their decision and the result of their vote. But I cannot in good conscience abide by the decision to create a new EMS that is not under the full and complete control of the Fire Department. Therefore, I have submitted my resignation and my papers to retire, effective immediately. I want to thank the Officers and Firefighters of this great Fire Department for their support while I had the honor to serve as their Chief. I'll be taking no questions at this time."

As he walked back into Fire Department Headquarters, the camera turned back to Priya, who said: "And there you have it! Chief Quinlin has resigned over the creation of a new EMT service..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

At 9:00am, Sheriff Griswold came out the front doors of City Hall to the 'front porch', as it was colloquially called, and to the podium upon which rested a bank of microphones. A gaggle of Press were in a semi-circle in front of him.

"Thank you for coming." growled Griswold. "I am announcing that I am not accepting Fire Chief Quinlin's resignation, and am putting on hold his retirement papers. This is for the purpose of bringing up Chief Quinlin on several charges, which include insubordination, as well as wearing his Fire Department uniform for a political ad with the intent to be seen as representing the Fire Department. I have begun the process of firing Chief Quinlin as well as summarily firing Battalion Chief Tucker. As part of that, Chief Quinlin will be stripped of his pension. What are your questions regarding this situation?"

"Sheriff!" shouted Priya, "why didn't you take action immediately after Fire Chief Quinlin made that ad?"

"The ensuring controversy might have affected the plebiscite on the new Charter." growled Griswold. "That would not have been fair to the People of the County nor the Charter Commission that worked their butts off writing the new Charter. So I delayed taking action until today."

"If the Charter had failed to pass," asked an Indian reporterette that no one recognized, "would you still have fired them?"

"Yes." said the Sheriff. "I only delayed the action so that a fair vote on the Charter could be held. The result was not an issue, just the timing."

"Do you expect the Fire Captain's Union to grieve your actions, Sheriff?" said Bettina Wurtzburg.

"If they do, we'll deal with it at that time." said Griswold.

"Sheriff, who will you be naming to the Fire Chief position?" asked Keith Madden.

"I'll be making a nomination to the Council soon." said Griswold. "Assistant Fire Chief Davies is Acting Chief in the interim."

"Sheriff, do you expect the Firefighters to strike over the creation of a new EMS?" shouted Bettina.

"No." said the Sheriff. "A strike would be illegal, and I would fire any strikers. And any Firefighter that does not like the new EMS can signify so by raising their hand and saying 'I resign.'."

"Sheriff, who are you going to name as the new EMS Chief and Assistant Chief?" shouted Priya.

"We'll be having an announcement on that soon." said Sheriff Griswold. "I've already got some people in mind, and I just need to get them to accept my offers,. Then we'll go to the Council with the names."

"Sheriff, will you support a Board of Inquiry for Commanders Troy and Ross regarding the accusations of Police brutality in the wake of the attacks on AFC Davies and his fiancée?" asked Bill Hacosta.

"As far as I'm concerned, my Police Officers acted properly and did not use excessive force to apprehend the alleged attackers, who we know have ties to the NEA, the powerful Teacher's Union." growled Griswold. "The Council will have to call for a Board of Inquiry."

With that, the Sheriff said "Thank you, everyone." and walked back into City Hall. Within an hour, the Fire Department Captain's Union filed a grievance on behalf of Fire Chief Quinlin and Battalion Chief Tucker.

Part 13 - Reward and Punishment

11:00am, Wednesday, September 25th. District Attorney Miriam Walters entered Police Headquarters and was escorted to the Main Conference Room. Already present were Police Chief Moynahan, Deputy Chief Ross, Police Commander Troy (me), and Captain of Detectives Tanya Perlman. The Chief was sitting at his usual place at the near end of the table. Cindy was to his left, and I was to hers. Miriam Walters sat to the Chief's right, her back to the door, and Tanya to her right.

"Thank you for coming, Ms. Walters." said the Chief after Miriam sat down. "The Sheriff sends his regrets; he's putting out fires in the Fire Department, pun fully in-tenn-dedddd."

"I understand, and thank you for having me." said Walters, who did not even crack a smile at the Chief's joke. "And congratulations, Commander Troy, on the Charter passing."

"Thank you." I said politely. "ADA Fineman contributed greatly to its success."

"Yes, she did very well." Walters said, making me feel like I'd made a mistake in praising Fineman.

Getting right down to business, Walters said "The reason I'm here today is to let you know the changes I'm making to the District Attorney's Office. These changes bring us into line with many other D.A. offices in the State, and some of them will affect our interactions with the Police Force, especially the Detectives."

"Do you have a presentation that you need to connect to our screen?" asked the Chief.

"No, it's verbal." said Miriam. She settled in, then started: "First, I'm hiring two Investigators. As you know, they will not be full Law Enforcement Officers, but they can and will investigate new leads we might develop in cases that have come to us from you, question or re-question witnesses or other people, work to clarify situations as needed, and help prep witnesses for trial."

She looked around the room, possibly not having expected the silence that greeted her. I noticed she kept glancing towards me out of the corner of her eye, as if judging my reaction. I was keeping my face a mask of iron passivity.

"No comments?" asked Walters.

Tanya took up the bit: "Please just make sure we know who they are, and that they work with us and not at cross-purposes. I don't want them and our people stepping on each other's toes."

Chief Moynahan said "I hope you'll consider having them work with Sheriff Grizzzzwold. He will teach them everything from crime scenes to questioning people, just as he teaches our De-tec-tives."

Miriam said "That's a good idea. Also, per the State Code, our Investigators can get warrants for your Officers as well as Sheriff's Deputies." I worked hard not to glance at Tanya; that was a big part of her desire to bringing an Intelligence Division into existence.

"The second part concerns the structure of the District Attorney's Office." said Walters. "It is common, especially in this State, to have Deputy District Attorneys as the main prosecutors working with Law Enforcement and in the Courts, and for Assistant DAs to be supervisors and the DA's representatives, so to speak. Because of potential... 'optics' issues, I believe the best way to go about this restructuring is to have every current Assistant DA be re-designated Deputy DAs. At some point in the future, supervisory ADA roles would be filled as needed."