Banished Pt. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I nodded as Cameron and Jeannie joined us, and the meeting began.

"Most apologies, for the inconvenience of timing," Gisela began, but I waved a hand, dismissing the gesture.

"It's fine. I'm sure everyone here understands the necessity behind the decision," I said, and everyone quickly nodded.

"We called the meeting to discuss our move forward. This timing, we hope, may evade the ears of the one who listens, though to be safe, we may assume that our plans are heard," Gisela explained.

"So, are we going to discuss our destination?"

Gisela shook her head.

"Our possible landings are several, and we have chosen amongst the furthest from Palancar, for added protection. The path we take will head off road, but with the runners unaware, the heading will be slowed, and somewhat, with danger."

I nodded at the development.

"How many days journey?" I asked, and Gisela held up her hands, indicating seven fingers. "Can the runners be made aware of where we aim to be, before needing to rest for the night?"

"After the first two stops, then yes; but prior to that, the group will need to stick close, and the moving will be slowed."

"How many of you know the destination?"

Gisela pointed to herself, and I sighed.

This was problematic.

We would be able to move no faster than our slowest members, and all stops would grind the group, collectively to a halt.

"Are we certain that such measures are required?" I asked, and Gisela rubbed her chin.

"They may be more than is necessary, but we have heard news that troubles..."

"Can it be discussed?" I asked, and she nodded.

"A high-ranking councilor has deployed runners... at least fifty. We are unable to discern the reason, but such a deployment is highly unusual."

Fifty...

Fully armed, we could take down that number in our sleep.

But fighting them wasn't our biggest concern.

Being tracked was.

Could we eliminate them? Or would that be viewed as an act of aggression?

There was a lot to ask, but I figured it would be best to wait until we were in a safer location to do so.

I'm starting to see the wisdom in getting as far from Palancar as possible, Casey spoke into my mind, and I nodded subtly at her.

I turned to Jeannie.

"Apart from Leanna, is there anyone whose hands you wouldn't put a weapon into?" I asked, and Jeannie shook her head.

"Are you sure that's a good idea, Nate?" Casey interjected. "They've gone after our weapons once already; we might just make it easier for them to go after individual targets."

"If we're moving together, then we won't be spread out as far. I think it might dissuade a possible attack. Besides..." I turned to Gisela. "How far away can the runners stray from the main group, without losing track of them?"

"Easily, at least a thousand strides."

"Strides?"

"If you're running, it's the distance between where your left foot and right foot land, when you're making a leaping kind of stride," Casey explained. "I think it's about five feet, or one point five meters."

"Meters? I thought you were American?"

"I'm a scientist," she shot back, and I snickered a little.

"So... five thousand feet? That's... almost a mile, right?"

Casey nodded, rolling her eyes as she did.

"So, if we were to create two units with about four or five runners, and one of our armored fighters, we could let those two groups roam in a circular pattern around the core group, and keep threats at a further radius from them, no?"

Gisela pondered the suggestion, relaying it to the princess.

"So, you and Francesca?" Cameron asked, and I nodded.

"Jordan will stay armored and with the main group, and the two of us will keep the main party safe from the outer perimeter."

The princess smiled as she listened to the suggestion, then nodded, and Gisela reluctantly agreed.

"Good... so is that everything?"

Casey and Jeannie exchanged a look, and as I studied them, Casey spoke first.

"There's one more thing, actually... I know you offered to vouch for Bianca, but you can't exactly babysit her with your current duties..."

"I guess, but I hardly expect her to be any trouble really."

Jeannie bit her lip, and at Casey's prodding, she finally spoke.

"We don't trust her, Nate... I know that she seems like a bit of a wounded kitten right now, but while the rest of the girls were being abused, she just sat there, and did nothing... there wasn't even a reaction to show that she cared even a little bit about what was happening."

I rubbed my chin, as I processed the information.

"So, you think she might be acting the part?" I asked.

"I don't think we know her well enough to say that, but... none of us want another Emily situation on our hands," Casey said.

"So, what's your suggestion? As things stand, exiling an otherworlder is out of the question."

"Make her pledge," Casey said, and I frowned.

"I'm against that. If Bianca's to be believed, and I think she is, for now, she's been in an abusive relationship, and a pledge would mean giving someone the same power over her that her abuser had. It would make developing a trusting bond even more difficult."

Casey shrugged.

"Then so be it. We're taking a risk by keeping her. You can think of it as the price she has to pay for all that she's done until now."

I bit my lip, then nodded.

"Alright... I'll go talk to her then," I said.

"Herr Nathan," Gisela interjected. "The present interval will end with emerging light. We wish to leave by then."

I nodded, and the rest of the group also dispersed to make the required preparations as I left the room, and made my way up to Bianca's.

As I passed the guard at her door, I knocked, though I figured that she would most likely be asleep.

To my surprise, however, as I entered the room, I found that she was sitting, curled up as she often did, by the edge of the bed closest to the window, and as soon as she spotted me, she wiped quickly at her eyes.

"Hey," she said, her voice a little croaky, and I bit my lip as I approached.

"Are you okay?" I asked, noting that the stains left by her crying were still wet, and the streaks on her face quite recent.

She nodded nonetheless, clearing her throat before speaking.

"I'm just... really lonely, and it's really scary here by myself at night."

I nodded, and as I took a seat on the bed, she cast a longing look, and I gestured for her to come closer, and she quickly crawled over to me, and curled up in my lap.

"You're the only one who's come to see me," she said, sighing.

"We're... leaving this place soon. In an hour, maybe?"

She perked up at this, as she got up, to study me.

"You're taking me with you, right?"

I bit my lip.

"The group... is against it," I began, and a panicked look appeared in her eyes.

"No... please don't leave me here. I- I can't!"

I raised my hands, trying to calm her down a bit.

"I'm not going to leave you, but... the group made a decision about you that... I'm not sure you're going to like."

"What? What is it?" she asked, and I sighed.

"There's a way to bind yourself to another person... using our implants," I said, indicating to my wrist.

She held up her wrist as she studied me.

"Bind myself?"

"Yeah... like it gives them power over you. To tell you what they want you to do, and you'll be compelled to obey."

She bit her lip.

"You... you want me to do that?"

I sighed.

"No. I'm against it. But the group says they'll only allow you to come with us if you agree to pledge yourself to one of our core members. Not necessarily me, but someone who'll be able to sense your intent, and know if you mean anyone harm, and control you in the case that you become a threat."

She frowned.

"They all hate me... I know they do. What's to stop them from using this to just hurt me?"

"There are several that I can personally vouch for. That would never hurt you... and girls, too, so there's less of a risk of someone turning you into a sex slave, or something like that."

"I...I don't trust them. I don't trust anyone. Everyone turns on me eventually... everyone."

She began to cry, but as I patted her on the shoulder, she suddenly turned towards me.

"Why can't it be you? You... you wouldn't hurt me. I can pledge to you, can't I?"

"You could, but... you don't know me either."

"You saved my life. Even when that other girl told you not to, you still did it. If it has to be someone... then I want it to be you."

She seemed pretty sure, and while it was the outcome I wanted, I made sure to act reasonably hesitant, in order to maintain that image of me that she saw.

I bit my lip, then nodded.

"Here," I said, as I held my hand over her chest, and she gasped, as my implant began to glow.

"You need to say, 'Nathan, I pledge myself to you'," I said, and she nodded, repeating the line.

"Do you like the name Bianca?" I asked, and she nodded.

"Then, Bianca!" I said, and as the shadowy form of her body appeared in my mind, a chill ran down my spine.

What the fuck was that? I wondered.

That didn't happen when any of the others pledged.

It was a feeling... a new feeling, and it didn't even match anything that I even knew of.

"Was that it?" she asked, and I nodded somberly as my eyes narrowed on her, trying to process what exactly that feeling was.

"I'm glad," she said, and I tilted my head, as the reaction did not line up with what I felt at all.

Her expression seemed happy, but... was that feeling happiness?

It couldn't be.

Even I felt happy from time to time, and it definitely wasn't that...

I tried to embed that sensation into my consciousness, as a determination arose in me to figure it out.

"I'm in your care now, aren't I?" she asked, and I nodded. "Does that mean you can take me with you?"

I nodded again.

She crawled over to my side, and as she settled onto my lap, I stroked her hair and she hummed contentedly in response, and to my surprise, she quickly fell asleep.

I sighed.

We were leaving pretty soon, weren't we?

Hopefully she'd be able to cope with the coming day's journey.

In the future, we'd need to make sure everyone was getting sufficient sleep, so that we could maximize the use of daylight hours for travel.

As I studied her, I noted that the bruising around her neck didn't seem to be fading...

It was a sharp contrast to Casey, whose stab wound already seemed to be on the mend.

I let her sleep for a bit, but as the sounds outside indicated that we were nearing departure time, I tried my best to gently rouse her from her brief slumber.

"Mmh," she groaned.

"I'm sorry... I think we might be leaving soon," I said.

She got up, and shook the sleepiness from her eyes.

"Do you have to leave me again?" she asked, and I shook my head.

"No. I think you're free to move about now," I answered, and she smiled, before letting out a yawn, and stretching tiredly.

I led her from the room, and down to the entry hall and out of the tree, where all of the otherworlders were already gathered.

Did she pledge? Casey asked, and I looked around, then spotted her in a cart beside the supply cart.

I walked over to where she was, nodding as I did, but as I approached the supply cart, Casey's eyes went to the girl, who was casting furtive glances at everyone around us, while sticking as close to me as possible.

"Hey, uh, Bianca, was it?" Casey asked.

The girl nodded timidly, then glanced at me.

"You'll be sticking with me for today, okay?" Casey said, and the girl frowned.

"Can't I stay with you?" she asked, and I shook my head.

"I'll be close by, but my task is much more dangerous than staying with the main group. You'll be safer here," I said.

She frowned again.

"Can I come with you anyway?" she asked, and Casey glared at her.

"Until we know that you can keep up with Nate, it'll be best if you stay with the main group," she said, shooting the girl an icy stare, bit Bianca looked to me again.

"I'll keep up with you. I promise."

Casey rolled her eyes, and I pulled Bianca aside.

"Close your eyes for a sec," I said, and she nodded, immediately doing as she was told without question. "Now think about telling me something, and focus really hard on getting that message to me."

I want to stay with you I want to stay with you I want to stay with you I want to stay with you I want to stay with you I want to stay with you I want to stay with you I want to stay with you I want to stay with you I want to stay with you I want to stay with you I want to stay with you I want to stay with you.

"Whoa-"

I want to stay with you I want to stay with you I want to stay with you I want to stay with you I want to stay with you I want to stay with you I want to stay with you I want to stay with you I want to stay with you I want to stay with you I want to stay with you I want to stay with you I want to stay with you I want to stay with you I want to stay with you I want to stay with you I want to stay with you I want to stay with you.

"Bianca, stop," I said, shaking her, and she looked at me, questioningly.

"Did I do something wrong?" she asked, and Casey shot me a questioning look.

"No, uh... let's try a different approach. I want you to take a look at everyone around us, and look for someone who stands out to you. Then, try telling me something about that person."

She looked around for a bit, before her gaze narrowed on something, and as I turned to follow her stare-

Why is she in armor? Is she special? Is she special to him? She's pretty. Prettier than I'll ever be. Why can't I look like that? Her hair is short, but she looks cute. I don't look like that with short hair. He said I looked like a BOY. Why did I look like that? Why can't I look like her? She's perfect. If she had slightly bigger breasts she would be better than perfect. Then Nate would look at her alone. I wouldn't exist anymore. He would have sex with her. He'll never have sex with me. He'll throw me away, and they'll laugh at me. And then I'll be alone-

"Bianca!"

She shook her head, then studied me again, and I cleared my throat before speaking.

"Just to confirm something... just now, what did you try to tell me? With your thoughts?"

She bit her lip, and looked away, a little nervously.

"That girl in the armor... I tried to tell you that I think she's cute," she said, and as I turned to look at Francesca, I frowned, as her tone indicated to me at least, that she was being truthful...

Maybe she's not aware of it.

As I studied her, a worried expression appeared on her face.

"What exactly are you trying to do?" she asked.

"The pledge you made earlier... it's supposed to allow you to speak to me using your thoughts."

"So... you heard my thoughts?"

"Sort of," I answered, and she rubbed her chin.

"I guess I already told you what I was thinking the second time, but what was I thinking the first time?" she asked.

"That you want to stay with me," I replied, and she gasped.

"You... you're not just guessing that, are you?"

I shook my head.

"The second one, I didn't really catch... but, you were thinking about Francesca's hair, weren't you? That you wished you could look that cute with short hair?"

Her hand went to her mouth, and she went red.

"I-is that all you heard?"

I nodded.

"More or less... the rest was garbled... couldn't make it out, really."

She had a thoughtful expression on her face.

"So, I can talk to you with my thoughts?"

"Well... that's how it usually works, but with the others it's different."

"Others?"

Why are there others? How many others? Is it her? Is it all of them? Are all of the girls your slaves? What am I-

I snapped my fingers, and she quickly shook her head, as she came back to reality.

"It's not what you were thinking," I said, and she blushed again.

"God... this is embarrassing. I dunno what came over me."

"It's fine. You met Casey, right? The girl over there in the cart? And Raul; the man who attacked you. Both of them are my slaves," I explained. "When they use this ability, it's kind of like they're just speaking normally into my mind. When you use it, it seems as if your thoughts are just spilling out all at once."

"Huh... do you think I need to practice? To learn how to use it?"

"Maybe... either that, or your brain just doesn't work the same way theirs do."

She frowned.

"You mean, I'm not as smart as they are..."

"No... there are different brain types, that function differently. I doubt it has anything to do with intelligence, or any factor that you're in control of for that matter. We can try practicing, if you'd like; perhaps when we stop for a rest. But I think it might be time to leave pretty soon."

That panicked look re-appeared on her face, and she quickly looked around.

"Can't I come with you?" she asked, again, and I frowned.

"I wasn't kidding about the danger... I might have to fight. The people who're coming with me might not even make it," I said, and she frowned.

"You'd protect me. I know you would," she said, and I frowned.

"I can protect you a lot more easily if you're over here, with the rest of the group."

I rested a hand against her cheek as she pouted, though the cute expression on her face was quite adorable.

"If you need me, you can reach me faster than anyone else," I said, tapping my head. "And even if the message isn't clear, I'll hear you. Now as soon as we stop for a rest, you can come right to me, but I really want you to stay with the larger group; and Bianca? While you're here... I want you to try your best to get along with everyone else."

"But they all hate me," she whined, and I snickered at the response.

"I don't know... maybe they do? I have no way of knowing, really... but what I do know is this; the more they trust you, the less likely they are to keep you away from me," I said, and her eyes perked up a bit at this.

"Really?" She bit her lip, as she cast a look around, and after spotting Casey, she nodded.

"That girl. You said she was your slave, right?"

"Yep."

"Okay. Can you force her to teach me how to send better messages?"

"I don't really force her to do anything. Just ask her, I'm sure she'll be willing to help."

Bianca nodded, shooting me one more longing look before heading over to Casey, and I offered a silent prayer that Casey would have enough patience to deal with her.

Gisela, however, was waving me over, so I headed to her side.

"Those who wish to join us are gathered. You should call the warrior goddess to your side and stand by the princess as she addresses them."

I nodded, and after calling Francesca over, we joined the princess who delivered a quite impassioned speech.

Those who looked on seemed moved by her words, and as the speech came to an end, I headed over to Gisela's side, surveying the new recruits.

I caught Ryker amongst them, but as I looked around, I failed to spot Eradne.

He caught my gaze, and as he gestured subtly, I nodded.

I guess Eradne left a message with him, I thought, though I felt relieved as well to know that someone with at least basic medical training would be with us going forward.

"Herr Nathan. Do you wish to know what was spoken?" Gisela asked, and I shook my head.

"Maybe later. How many have joined us?"

"More than I believed possible. Seventeen, nine of which are hunters of renown. Two amongst them have been placed on each of your squads," she said, indicating to me and Francesca.

"Hmm. That's good. There's another thing I've been thinking about. Is there a way for our squads to signal to each other?"

Gisela nodded, gesturing to one of the hunters.

The man came over, and after Gisela spoke to him for a bit, he nodded, and removed a little pack that had been strung around his shoulder.