Bard's Tale 05 - Bk 02 - Westward Ho

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He said, "As for Tia's twin, if she's anything like Tia, I think we'll get along fine."

The bard giggled. "I expect you will be a huge surprise. Theodonra's been informed, of course, but when people think about us, they expect our husband to be older, and..."

"And?" he prompted.

"Please don't take this the wrong way, but like everyone else so far, they expect you to be able to kick a lot of ass all on your own." Mindal looked worried.

He sighed. "Well, I knew there were going to be issues when we got married."

"While you were at the temple, we talked about you and what being married would mean for you and for us. We're at the capital now, and there are a lot more people. Because you're so young, some will write you off or even try to put you down, either to your face or behind your back."

"Jannon Fisher warned me of the same thing."

"Did he? Huh. Well, if it's one thing you can be sure of, my sisters and I have your back, Reison. It's a fact that while bards are well-liked as entertainers, we often aren't taken all that seriously, especially by those in charge."

"I'm not going to give my music."

"And I'd be the last person to ever suggest that! I totally understand what that means."

Reison grinned at her. "Yes, you do."

"What I am saying, though, is that Tia is a big deal at City of the Suns. That's even more true here. When there's a problem, my sisters are sent to fix it. I fully expect both of them to step back, but they will both be on call. Still, my main point is if they hear anything derogatory about you, they will act. It may not be public, but they won't put up with it. Tahna's more of an 'in your face' person, but underneath Tia's cheerful smile is a lot of hardened steel."

"I'm learning that," he replied.

"You make all of us happy, Reison. That's no small thing."

Her words seemed to need a good solid kiss in response, so naturally, he drew her close and let her have it. She melted against him as she responded to his attentions. After several heart-pounding minutes of oral exploration, she leaned her head against his shoulder, murmuring, "I wish I had magic panties."

"What? Why? And what these delicate garments do?"

"Like those magic diapers. Something to absorb all the leakage. I'm constantly having to remove stains from my clothes. Especially the last few months."

Holding her close, he rubbed her back. "Poor baby. Leaking everywhere, what's a girl to do?"

"Haha. Laugh it up," the bard said. "Next time, you get to sleep on the wet spot."

"Aren't you able to do cantrips that can take care of such things with a wave of your hand?"

The bard sighed. "Maybe?"

"If it's a problem, why not take care of it?"

"Because a certain man wears me out and I often fall asleep before I notice."

He rubbed her back again. "Poor baby. Leaking everywhere. Such a bother!"

She burst out laughing and he joined her. "You're pretty rotten sometimes."

"I know," he answered with a grin. "But I'm worth it."

"Bad boy."

He followed that statement with another searing kiss.

Mindal melted a bit more.

Once the taxes were paid, Anya and the Whisper Winds talked, with Tia doing most of the speaking for the family. While there were relatives to seek accommodations with, it was agreed by both parties that they preferred to remain more independent. Anya said she and her people were headed to the Black Star Inn, an expensive establishment known to cater to the wealthy. For the first part of their journey, the two groups traveled together.

Just inside the gates on the left was a military barracks, while on the right was a jumble of wagons, tents, awnings, people, and animals; a gathering place for merchants to depart or arrive.

"That's Ninth Street," Mindal explained, talking loud over the rattle of wheels on cobblestones. "See the shops across the street? Some of the merchants sell right there. This part of the capital is Sharaton. Sharaton follows Lucky Man River, which we are now crossing, and encompasses the upper-class residences and the clan homes, all the way up to that giant A-frame at the top of the hill. That's where Queen Dorothy and her family live."

He caught the grins from both Tia and Tahna as Mindal continued playing tour guide.

Mindal asked Tia, "Did you decide on the Black Stallion or the Grey Wolf?"

"Whichever one has room," Tia answered. "I think Grey Wolf is slightly nearer so we'll try that one first."

"Anyway, Reison, having crossed the bridge, we're now in Charlottesville. We'll be passing the civic buildings and the main temples." As they traveled along the wide boulevard, the bard pointed out various street names and points of interest.

Anya and her group turned right on Seventh Street, leaving the Whisper Winds alone in the bustling street in their carriage, their two light warhorses patiently walking behind.

Within a few blocks, they saw more businesses and fewer residences.

Reison said, "That's the second inn we've passed. Any particular reason we're going to the Black Stallion or the Grey Wolf?"

"Two reasons," Tahna replied as she drove their carriage. "One, they aren't fancy but the ones we're going to are clean establishments. Two, they are within easy walking distance of the temples."

He nodded. "Good enough for me."

Half an hour later, they pulled in front of the Grey Wolf Inn. A stableboy was asked if there were rooms available and he confirmed there were. As the others unloaded, Tahna drove the carriage and their horses to the stables.

As they entered the busy inn, they were warmly greeted from across the room by the innkeeper. "Mother Tia! And Lady Mindal! Welcome to our humble establishment. It's been a long time since your last stay with us."

There was a divide on bar, where a busy barkeep filled drink requests and behind that, an open service window to the kitchens where waitresses brought orders and collected food trays to hungry patrons.

While Reison was looked over, the portly man made no fuss about his presence. Behind him, there were numbered slots and only a few had keys on hooks. To his relief, the innkeeper spoke wood elven and they conducted their business in that language so that he could follow along. He appreciated Tia's consideration.

There was some astonishment followed by hearty congratulations when it was learned that Reison was husband to all three women. There were no suites available, however, but they settled on a double-bed set-up for three gold per night. With the carriage and the horses, that added another three silver pennies.

While Reison and Tia were signed the register and paid for their stay, Tahna arrived with her gear.

Mindal scanned the nearby notice board. A handwritten advertisement in Greek and Egyptian caught her eye. With some excitement, Mindal took a posted notice off the board and showed it to the others, then read it aloud for Reison's benefit.

Mercury Trading Lines announces the permanent closure of its trading store within the Kingdom of Tildor due to rising difficulties with overland travel. FOR SALE two-story warehouse, partial basement, solid granite foundation, internal loading dock. AREA -- 1076 square meters. Building Address -- 1010 Snapdragon Street. Asking 121,000 gold royals, current year's taxes already paid. Annual commercial tax is 1,500 gold royals. Serious inquiries only. Contact -- Master Miklos Konnokos, New Dreams Real Estate, 2860 Daphne Avenue. 100 gp to apply for sale. 250 gp fee to tour. All fees are payable in advance.

"What do you think?" Mindal asked.

"I think this is worth checking out," Tia replied with a pleased smile. "Good job, Mindal!"

They carried their luggage upstairs to the second floor. Tia suggested they make reservations for dinner before their departure, then take a clean set of clothes and walk down to the public baths to get cleaned up from their travel and splurge on a massage.

"It'll give us the opportunity to stretch our legs first," Tia explained.

"Yeah," Tahna agreed. "My butt is tired from days of driving the carriage."

This plan was agreed upon, and while Tahna selected some clothing for Tia to wear, Tia wrote a message in Greek to the real estate agent, inviting him to meet with them at the Grey Wolf on Stormy Lane, and to be prepared to show the property that very evening. She signed it Tia Whisper Wind, First Wife of Reison Whisper Wind. She added sealing wax to the outside and her personal stamp.

On the way out, they reserved a booth for four for the dinner hour. Hanging around the entrance, a young messenger boy named Allyn was hired to deliver the letter and to wait for an answer. He was paid five silver, with a bonus if he returned with the answer by the dinner hour. Outside the inn, a carriage was flagged down and hired to provide a round trip. His instructions were to take the boy to the address and bring him back. Tia handed over three gold pieces to the driver, and like the boy, was instructed to return with the boy for the second payment. Messenger boy and driver set off with great alacrity.

The Whisper Winds, dressed in casual dress, walked the three blocks to the nearest public bathhouse. All four enjoyed their visit, commenting to each other on their experiences. A gig was hired to return them to the inn.

Settling into their booth, dinner was ordered, and the family relaxed as they dug into their meal.

The driver and young Allyn returned in due time. For his reward, the driver earned another six gold. Reison was astounded as the trip from the bathhouse had cost less than a silver penny and Tia had let the man keep the change. Mindal quietly explained the fees paid were several times their true cost but helped ensure the driver would watch out for his juvenile charge. Taking his payment, he tipped his hat and departed.

The young boy stood waiting to report.

"Now, Master Allyn," Tia said respectfully. "What do you have to report? Did you speak to Master Konnokos or to someone else? Did he speak or did he give you a written response?"

The scruffy, towheaded young man blushed at being called Master Allyn as if he were a Master Courier or some well-to-do scion of some rich House. "I asked for Master Konnokos and he said that was his name. He read your letter and spoke his answer, my lady."

"Go on, then, let's hear it," Tia urged.

"He said that he would be unable to be here until the eighth bell, my lady." Worried that his news might displease his employer, he fidgeted.

"An extra hour on short notice is acceptable. As a bonus for a job well done, here are two gold pieces. Is that suitable to you, young sir?" Tia asked.

Relief washed over the boy's face. Scooping up the coins, he bowed to everyone. "Oh, yes, my lady. Bless you, for your generosity! Bless you!"

Tia said, "It's the dinner hour, Master Allyn. If you wish, we would be happy to pay for you to have a meal at our expense as well."

Obviously tempted, he politely said, "I would love to, your honors, but I need to hurry home to me ma and sisters. They will worry if I'm over late."

"Wait!" Tia said. "If you would like another job, be here at seven bells tomorrow morning."

"Jeepers! Really? I'll be here, my lady!" He dashed out the doors like his feet were on fire.

"Another possible project, big sister?" Mindal asked quietly.

Tahna and Reison just smiled.

"Possibly," the priestess answered. "He's young, and I noticed he didn't mention a father or any brothers."

"I'm sure our big sister will have him putting away three square meals of good food in no time," Tahna teased.

"He's a little boy--!" Tia protested.

"Did you hear any of us complain?" Tahna interrupted. "Besides, boy or girl, all children tug at Mother Tia's heartstrings equally."

Tia glared as three grinning faces looked back. Then she sighed. "Fine. I can't fix the world but I do have the means to make a difference in the lives of those I meet." Then she gave a worried look to Reison. "I'm reminding myself that I'm not the head of House Whisper Wind but the First Wife. What thoughts do you have, husband? Am I doing too much that should be your concern?"

The young half-elf took a breath to gather his thoughts, then spoke. "Tia, I married you because I love you. As your husband, my role is to help support you, not change who you are. You are used to being in charge. If I have any issues, I will let you know. I assume you are getting reports on Vera and her kids?"

"Yes, I am," she affirmed.

"Since you have managed your finances even with these acts of charity and still managed to put away a fortune, then far be it for me to interfere. It obviously makes you happy and I have no problems with you spreading good cheer. Indeed, I would not be surprised if your good fortune is because you are so kind and compassionate. Just let me know what's going on, First Wife, because I don't want to be sidelined."

Mindal nodded gravely. "I think our man is a keeper, Tia. What do you say, Tahna?"

"Most definitely," agreed the monk.

"I think I will keep each of you as well," Reison declared.

Surprised, Tahna and Mindal stared open-mouthed at him.

Tia laughed. "Well, what did you two expect, talking about him as if he wasn't here? Turnabout is fair play, sisters."

Reison smiled and worked on his meal.

Relaxing at their table, they passed the time relaxing, commenting on the quality of the food and spirits, and in general having a good time.

At the appointed time, Master Konnokos arrived, and making inquiries with waitresses, was directed to their booth.

Standing before them, the middle-aged man with a balding top said, "I'm looking for someone by the name of Tia Whisper Wind. I'm supposed to meet her here at the Grey Wolf Inn and the staff have directed me to the four of you. Is one of you this Tia woman?"

Their attention on him, Tia nodded to him. "I am Tia Whisper Wind. You must be Master Konnokos."

"I am," he replied. "First, before anything else, do you have my fee?"

Tia reached into her wallet, found a small bag, and tossed it onto the table before him. Opening the small bag, he found three white pearls and ten platinum. "That's three-fifty in coin and gems. Do we have your interest? We want to see the property at 1010 Snapdragon right away, and tonight if possible."

After counting the coins, he put the bag into his own wallet. "This late? It will be dark soon. You won't be able to see the outside."

"If we like the place, we will be remodeling both inside and out. We want a solid structure to work from. Do you have the Builders' Report?"

"I do," the agent confirmed.

"Mindal, would you be so good as to go outside and flag us a cabbie?"

"No need," Konnokos said. "I have one waiting for me. I will expect reimbursement for the travel, however."

Tia nodded, rising. "Very well. If we decide to purchase the property, we will want to do so right away. Are you the proxy or do we have to deal with yet another person?"

"If you are interested in purchasing, I will notify the seller and they will arrive to sign the deed over."

Reison, Tahna, and Mindal also rose to their feet.

Leaving the inn, they climbed into the horse-drawn cab. Because of space, Reison ended up sharing the seat with the middle-aged man. The real estate agent told the driver the address, 1010 Snapdragon Street, and they set off for their destination. Tia paid the fare of three silver pennies to the driver on their arrival.

After the front door was unlocked, they entered the home. Konnokos was startled when Tia cast a divination spell, asking if this building was right for their family. To her delight, the priestess heard the sound of laughing children. She kept the results of her inquiry to herself.

For the next hour, Reison, Tahna, and Mindal explored while Tia reviewed the Builders' Report. Asking for input from her family, they suggested the types of rooms they would like to have. Besides bedrooms, other rooms discussed were a library, a chapel, a conservatory, a gymnasium, and more. These were all rooms she'd already considered they would need, so there were no surprises there.

"The big question is whether you like this place. Can you see us living here?" Tia looked at her husband and her sisters.

Tia smiled as each of them nodded, slowly smiling as each gave their approval and saw the others likewise joining in the excitement.

Turning to Konnokos, Tia said, "I believe the Land Office opens at nine bells. I propose we meet in the building to sign the sale agreement. At that time, twenty-five percent of the total funds will be handed over. That will amount to thirty thousand, two-hundred and fifty royals. Once the sale is registered and we become listed as the new owners of this property, you will receive the balance of the funds, amounting to ninety-thousand, seven-hundred, and fifty royals."

"You intend to pay it all... in coin?"

"Certainly not. Cash transfers are subject to income tax, due within ten days of receipt. Most of it will be in two different bank drafts," Tia corrected. "However, I can make arrangements so that up to ten percent can be in assorted gems. If you choose that option, you, Master Konnokos, as the agent for an as-yet identified receiver, will ultimately be responsible for paying any taxes due at the time of sale."

"The bank drafts for the total amount will be sufficient," Konnokos said sourly. "I also expect to be paid for my appearance at the signing."

"Are you serious?" Tia exclaimed. "You want another one hundred royals just for showing up? Aren't you already making money from your commission, paid by your client?"

"I insist," he said firmly.

Reison raised his eyebrows but said nothing.

"That's highly unusual practice, sir." Narrowing her gaze, Tia said, "Very well, Master Konnokos. I expect to receive from you, personally, three receipts tomorrow morning from the monies you received this evening as well as your fee for participating in the sale. Two receipts in the amount of one hundred gold royals each, and a third receipt for the touring this building in the amount of two hundred and fifty gold royals. As the buyer, we will cover the registrant fee. We will expect proof of paid property taxes at the signing."

"Agreed," he said. He nodded his head. "Please lock up when you leave. Good evening to you." Then exited by the main door.

They started talking about the building again, but then Tia strode to the door and looked outside. "That little shit drove off and left us here!"

Deadpan, Tahna asked, "Mother Tia, shall I track him down and beat that shit out of him?"

"No, that won't be necessary. However, I do intend to have a Revenue agent on hand. If our Master Konnokos is representing the Mercury Lines, a business entity based within the Caloren States, they will have to pay a higher tax rate as a foreign business before taking those funds out of the country. The Revenue agent will collect from Master Konnokos his portion of the four hundred and fifty royals he earned as well as provide information on his commission."

"Ooh," commented Mindal. "Revenue agents don't take bank drafts. If he doesn't have the coinage or gems on him, they will detain him. I assume you will wait till after the sale to reveal the Revenue agent?"

"Of course," Tia answered. "Even after he learned we wished to buy the property -- and without haggling over the price, I might add -- the man continued to be rude."

"So, what are the plans?" Reison asked.

"We'll stay at the inn tonight, possibly tomorrow as well," Tia said. "Depends on if one of us remembers to go to the market for food. We also need furniture, blankets, and more, so that's a separate shopping trip. The Land Office will take a couple of hours alone. An architect will need to be hired to work with us to draft plans for the remodel, and reputable work crews need to be hired. Staff will need to be selected, but that can be put off a week or two. So much more to do, too. I'll make a list tonight to make sure I don't forget anything."