Bard's Tale 05 - Bk 02 - Westward Ho

Story Info
The Whisper Winds head west.
88.3k words
4.86
4.3k
5
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
TJSkywind
TJSkywind
986 Followers

Bardic Cycle

Date: April 11, 2095

Locations: City of the Suns, Duchy of Biyandi; Castle Goodfellow; and Sharaton-Charlottesville, capital of Tildor

This tale takes place on the world of Skyra, a world literally on the edge of the universe. Magic and technology and psionics (mental powers) all work equally well on Skyra. Devils and Gods are known to be real and can be dealt with or even bargained with. There is a land gate to other worlds, places, dimensions, etc., and another one accessible on the high seas. This allows the author to pillage freely (and respectfully) from other imaginations.

Bard's Tale is the story of Reison Whisper Wind, a half-elf warrior who desires to become a bard. It's also about the women who love him. Reison's first wife is Tia, a high priestess known for her wisdom and ability to fix political problems within the nation of Tildor. His second wife is Tahna, a highly skilled warrior monk, one of Tia's younger sisters, and Tia's bodyguard. His third wife is Mindal, a famous bard and the writer of Duchess Dianne's favorite song, "Tickle My Toes." These three adventurers, long-known as the Landers Sisters, fell hard for the young half-elf. There are more stories prior to this one, telling how they met and more. If you haven't read those first, why not?

The four newlyweds have been enjoying their private suite of rooms on the third floor of the Pixie Palace, a somewhat upscale inn within the City of the Suns. The city is the capital of the Duchy of Biyandi, a part of the Kingdom of Tildor.

As much as they enjoy their suite and the inn's staff, the four realize they need to move for two important reasons. First, all three women are pregnant at this point in the story, and there was no room to add a decent-sized nursery, much less setting aside space for their new husband and his possessions.

Second, the bard college was located in the capital, about two-and-a-half weeks east and upriver from the City of the Suns. Making the move before the children were born made more sense than doing so later.

Anya Starshine, a master-level magic-user (wizard but not yet an arch-mage), wants to move to the capital. At the behest of Anya's parents, Duchess Dianne and Duke Thorband, the Whisper Wind family have agreed to make sure Anya and her daughter Dalyanni arrive safely.

Thanks to TerrytheTraveler and StoshB for lending a hand with catching errors. Any gaffs, typos, dropped words, usage errors, omissions, commissions, permissions, submissions, definitions, WTFs, and OMGs are totally my fault. Enjoy!

I meant the story, of course, not the mistakes and other gaffs!

Book 2

* * * * *

Part 1 -- Getting Under Way

* * * * *

Kind and wise, keeper of comforting sighs

Loving charms, sheltering arms

So warm and sweet and true

Share your love with me for I love you

Be my companion and wife

A best friend to share my life

You will see that you matter to me

You will see that you matter to me

-- Song of Tia, Introduction

This was their second attempt to leave the city and move to the capital, but truth be told, Reison Whisper Wind was not in a rush. No question they had to move, but they had several months yet before three bellies began to swell and travel became a concern.

At the moment, he and his three wives were enjoying the warm sunshine and the flowery scents of spring. After a hearty breakfast at dawn, they sang as they rode their carriage through city streets filled with bustling crowds. Usually, it was Mindal and Reison playing together for practice or before patrons. On this bright morning, Tia and Tahna joined in, adding in their harmonizing voices to Mindal's more experienced one and making for a wonderful experience for young musician. By the looks on their faces, all three women were also having a grand time of it.

To make the journey easier for their two draft horses, two more horses were added and the yoke extended to ease the workload of the animals. In previous years, they simply stored the carriage until their annual return to City of the Suns, riding it back to their home in New Brittany. But they were married now, and they intended to settle down, and Tia as First Wife said she wanted to keep the carriage when traveling in the capital.

When they asked Reison about it, he'd laughed, saying the fancy carriage was impractical and even a tad ostentatious, yet he did like the quirkiness and that it provided both cover and security for the passengers. Besides, as all three became gravid, having a carriage would be less of a luxury and more of a necessity. For that alone, Reison had agreed they should bring the wheeled contrivance.

This time they would be traveling on the north bank of the River Crescent, a much easier and faster route between the cities. In addition, Anya Starshine was bringing her carriage for the convenience of her daughter and her personal staff.

As they waited by the west gate -- just off the main road so as not to block the traffic -- Reison and Mindal unhitched their light warhorses and waited for their travel companions. Tahna acted as driver and Tia sat companionably beside her.

Reison patted the neck of his horse before turning to Tia. "What's her name again?"

"Lady Anya Starshine," Tia replied. "She's the sin-duchess."

The young half-elf frowned. "Her parents are Duke Thorband and Duchess Dianne Starshine. I get that. What's that mean?"

Mindal grinned at him. "It means she's the legal heir-apparent. If something happens to her parents, she becomes the duchess and new ruler of Biyandi. Pending approval of the queen, of course."

"Health, happiness, and long life to the duke and duchess," Tia enjoined.

"Hear, hear," her two sisters quietly added.

"Me, too. I wasn't clear. You already told me a few days ago what the term means. I understand she's the heir well enough. But she has two older siblings. I thought your faith believes inheritance is by strict primogeniture, that is, the eldest child regardless of sex becomes the heir. Why is she the heir and not one of her older siblings?"

"Hold on there, husband," Mindal replied. "My sisters and I may be Ba'lorian, but there are variations within the faith. It would be like saying because you're Celtic, you must be a follower of the Tuatha de Danaan when we all know there are other Celtic traditions that are possible. Most of the Kingdom of Tildor adheres to the Shillian branch of the Ba'lorian faith as we do, but it is by no means the only path of worship available. Less common are Hilsanni, Araqqi, and others. The Hilsanni are monogamists, and the three of us being your wives at the same time would not be allowed under their rules. The Araqqi believe inheritance should pass through the male line alone, and wives always take their husbands' surname. Though smaller in number, the Rovanim believe the opposite. The women are the warriors, men marry into the woman's household, and inheritance passes from mother to the oldest daughter. There are examples of those sects within the Kingdom of Tildor, but there are fewer of them and they usually live in the countryside rather than in the cities.

"The Shillian tradition is the most flexible, allowing for many types of family arrangements. When it comes to those who rule, when the person could potentially become a clan leader or one of the nobility, the right of inheritance and succession become two separate matters. A new clan or House leader is voted on by all its adult members. Ranks of nobility are voted on at the time of succession by those residing within the lands as well as the clan leaders. While the queen doesn't normally interfere, she does have the right to do so, especially if there is no clear favorite. All nobles of the realm must be confirmed by the queen. Her Majesty listens to her advisors and sitting nobility, but she has final say over whether the candidate is acceptable or not."

The bard caught the look from Tia and paused in her explanation. "What?"

Tia and Tahna watched Mindal's lecture with indulgent amusement as she discussed both religion and politics. Seeing Tia's face brought the bard up short. Tia was the actual expert on both matters. However, the high priestess gave her sister a wink and said, "Oh, don't mind me. You're doing fine."

Flushing, Mindal continued. "Well, ahem. Anyway, at first glance, you are correct to clarify the question of Anya's status as heir. Her older sister, Talí Theláyna, is the oldest at twenty-eight. However, she is unmarried and shows no interest in either marriage or politics. She's a powerful mage and currently serves as Lord High Wizard for the duchy. The second eldest is Moril Markusha and he's serving in the army as adjutant to the Lord High Marshal. While he's brave enough and from what I hear a decent commander... well, let's say he's not much of a diplomat. That leaves Anya, the youngest of the three. From what I understand, it took some persuading by her parents to get her to agree to become the heir."

"Actually," Tia said, "there's an older fourth child, Priscilla, but she's a citizen of the Caloren States, ruling as Baroness Rhys. The barony is small but quite powerful."

Mindal blinked. "You're right, but she's the fallback. Priscilla is the oldest child of the duchess, but she gave birth to Priscilla before she married the duke. She wandered a bit and ended up in the Caloren States, along with a few adventurers, including a young silver dragon. Back then, she was Mother Dianne, a high priestess as well as a master mage. She led the way in clearing out the castle of its frost dragons and other monsters, then focused on defeating or driving out the other creatures within the barony. The previous ruling family had been killed by the frost dragons. She paid to resurrect the title, becoming the first Baroness Rhys until Priscilla reached her majority. She passed on the barony to her daughter and returned home for a few months, then visited the City of the Suns and Duke Thorband. He confessed his long-standing love for her and won her heart. They've been together ever since."

The half-elf gave them a puzzled look. "Okay, that's the first I've heard about a half-sister. Now I understand why she's the heir and a bit more about this country's politics. But back to Lady Anya. If she's the heir, why is she leaving the duchy?"

Mindal shrugged, then turned to her sister. "Tia? Why is Anya going to the capital again?"

Her horse casually walking up behind the bard, Anya Starshine arrived at that very moment to hear the question. "While I appreciate the skill and integrity of the Landers Sisters, I prefer that if you have questions about me that you ask me directly."

Mindal whirled around and clutched her chest meaningfully. "Oh, gods! You scared the crap out of me!"

Perched in front of her in the saddle astride her own warhorse sat Anya's daughter, Dalyanni. Both were well dressed in matching dark blue raiment with fancy dark blue threaded embroidery, offset by golden blonde hair coiffed to keep the thick locks behind their ears. Topped by large green eyes, their features were beautiful and strong, leaving no doubt of their family relationship.

The others in her retinue pulled off the road behind her. Besides Anya's personal carriage, there were two dozen in her personal livery, all but two being men-at-arms, two gentlemen wearing a different livery, and four wagons and teamsters as well as a few pack horses with supplies. Two of the covered wagons obviously carried furniture.

The lithe, blonde noblewoman gave her attention to the bard. "Since you inquired about my motivations, I'm moving to the capital because I want a chance to live on my own for a while. Hopefully, it will be many decades before I become the duchess. While in the capital, I will be my father's envoy at the Queen's Court, where I intend to learn from the current envoy about politics at the capital. I will also get a chance to know Her Majesty, my aunt, better."

Tia, grinning from ear to ear, cocked her head at the bard. "Does that answer your question, little sister?"

Mindal, flushing, replied with a more subdued voice. "Yes."

Reison looked at the young woman and realized she was giving him the once-over as well, her large green eyes twinkling.

Anya gave Mindal a short bow from horseback, grinning wryly. "Well met, gentle bard. We look forward to the days ahead where you can impress us with your enchanting displays of musical prowess, peerless poems, and exciting news of the realm told in a truthful yet diplomatic..." Then she frowned dramatically. "Ooh, the last one seems to need a bit of work. Some of your skills a tad rusty, perhaps?"

"Ha ha, Your Ladyship." The bard smiled thinly at Anya's teasing. "I was distracted."

Anya gave an exaggerated puzzled look. "You seemed fully engaged when we arrived. Distracted? By what, pray tell?"

Tia laughed as she came to her sister's rescue. "We three are rather smitten by the new man in our lives. While he's been introduced before, those big parties don't allow much time to remember names before the next pretty face is vying for your attention. Lady Anya, this is our husband, Reison Whisper Wind, the head of our new family."

Tahna nodded, her face sobering. "While I might tease Mindal, neither one of us has been as observant as usual."

Giving her sister a brief reassuring touch, Tia muttered, "Stop blaming yourself. Holly was not your fault."

Anya sensed a story there, taking in the fact that all three of them glanced at the young half-elf with heartfelt looks, but decided to pass on it until later. She nodded at the half-elf. "You seem to have beguiled three powerful and well-known women, and in a remarkable feat, scooped up all three in one fell swoop. There must be something about you, young sir, to have ensnared their affections so completely in so short a time. Well, I daresay I shall have to watch myself in your presence, shan't I?"

Amused, Reison nodded back. "While I look forward to getting to know you better, I assure you that you have nothing to worry about, Lady Anya. I am more than content with those who are mine."

Pleased by his words, Mindal sidled her horse closer to her husband, reaching out to clasp his hand. He kissed her wrist, then held onto her hand for as long as the horses remained close together.

Tia cocked her head as she nodded thoughtfully at his declaration. Tahna licked her lips as she gave him a heated look.

Flushing, Anya said, "Ah, well. Far be it for me to overstep the bounds of good manners. I understand you're from Wood Haven originally, and that your parents live there. How shall I address you?"

He shrugged. "Reison works fine."

"It doesn't really matter about your background, but I wish to know a bit of your background so as to politely introduce you to others. You are too old to be called Young Master, and Master is a guild rank. How shall I address you, sir?"

"That's a good question. My parents were Mom and Dad," Reison answered. "My father was once a commodore, but he left the sea after he met my mother."

Anya brightened. "He was a naval officer? Where did he serve?"

"He served the Prince of Harlindon for many years."

The mage nodded. "Would you prefer to be called 'the Honorable Reison Whisper Wind' or Goodman Whisper Wind?"

"If you must, Goodman is fine. But my name is Reison and I prefer that to any fancy title."

Anya smiled. "Of course. As we will be traveling together and I hope to become your friend as much as I hope to endear myself further to your wives, please call me Anya. While I am sure you have shared your no-doubt fascinating story with my mother, I am eager to hear such a tale of wonder and romantic love with my own ears. As well perhaps, learning a bit about your parents? May I count on hearing those stories? Oh, that's outstanding!

"Now that everyone seems to be here, I will begin. Everyone? This is Goodman Reison Whisper Wind, head of the local branch of House Whisper Wind. That is Mother Tia Whisper Wind. She holds the rank of High Priestess and Temple Legate. She also holds an important secular post, properly addressed as Her Excellency, Minister Without Portfolio to the Queen--"

"Mother Tia is the title I prefer," the priestess interjected. "The other stuff is for situations that warrant it."

Anya gave her a nod. "Mother Tia is also Goodman Whisper Wind's First Wife. Sitting beside her is her younger sister, Tahna Whisper Wind, Master of Winter, Mother Tia's protector, and famous for her skill at solving murders. I believe she is Reison's second wife, yes? Perfect. On horseback here is Mindal Whisper Wind, Master Bard, and third wife to Goodman Whisper Wind. She is also the composer of my mother's favorite song, 'Tickle My Toes.' Before their marriages to Goodman Whisper Wind, these women were known as the Landers Sisters."

Giving a short bow, Anya turned her horse around to face her retinue. "Whisper Wind family, I shall now introduce you to my companions. This cheerful little sprite seated in front of me is my daughter, Dalyanni. The man here on my left is my good friend and captain of my personal guard, Jannon Fisher. Our safety is in his very capable hands.

"Captain, will you please ask those in the carriage to show their faces at the window? Thank you. Meanwhile, the lady officer bringing up the rear is my second cousin, Jaima Starshine, a dependable soldier and lieutenant of my personal guard." As the mage gave their names, the woman in question nodded. "These are my maids, Linda and Neondi, my personal cook, Mirianna, and that's my daughter's nanny, Beri.

"These two gentle knights are my guests. This dashing blonde is my first cousin, Lord Eshan Sabre. Next to him is his former squire and brave companion, Lord Tamaron Wind Dancer. Eshan's father is my uncle, Duke Donovan Sabre, the ruler of Beyjure Keen." Then she had the score of guards and the two carriage footmen call out their first names by way of introduction.

Anya turned to her people and declared, "I trust these ladies and their husband with my most prized treasure, my Dalyanni, and I expect them to be treated accordingly."

There were nods and bows from the various members of Anya's retinue.

Tia said, "Thank you for your kind words. During our journey, we will honor your request to call you by your first name. However, during our stay at Goodfellow Castle and when we reach the capital, we shall refer to you as Lady Anya, out of respect for you and for your parents. As we have been asked to accompany you to the capital, we will defer to you as head of this expedition."

Much of this had been discussed the previous evening between Reison and his wives. Content to let Tia do most of the interacting, he gave his First Wife a wink, and she grinned at him.

"So noted." Anya beamed impishly. "Now that that's out of the way and we're all here, are we ready to depart on our grand adventure?"

"Husband, are we ready?" Tia asked.

"As ready as we'll ever be," he answered. Tahna and Mindal chuckled.

Tia turned to the mage. "Anya, we are, indeed, ready to depart."

In a matter of minutes, an order of travel was decided and acted upon. Anya dismounted with her daughter, and joined by the nanny, entered the Whisper Wind carriage. Tia likewise descended, and once ensconced within and the windows opened, they happily began to chat.

Two guards galloped ahead to scout the way while single outriders moved out to cover both flanks. Two more guards took the lead, followed by the guard captain and the two knights. Anya's personal carriage was next, containing Anya's maids and cook. The Whisper Wind carriage followed. After that were wagons containing household furniture and supplies of food.

TJSkywind
TJSkywind
986 Followers