Bastileborn - Dragon Fire Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Sid raised an eyebrow at her in genuine disbelief for a moment. Lacia almost laughed at his expression.

"Sid, what's inappropriate about us kissing? You said you plan to marry me. Married people kiss all the time."

"I know, but I've only known you for two days. It's considered uncouth to kiss someone you've known for less than three days," he explained.

She burst out laughing at his answer.

"By the gods! What kind of prude are you? You almost killed someone in front of me last night. You're a pirate, for fuck's sake. Raping and pillaging are in the job description, and you think it's wrong to kiss someone you haven't known for at least three days? Where did you discover a stupid custom like that? Did you make it up yourself?"

The annoyed look that came over Sid's face after that was priceless.

"I completely regret helping you now," he said before he stood and left the room.

Lacia burst out laughing as she fell back on her bed. She felt wonderful after Sid used his magic on her. She suddenly felt bad for making fun of him, but then she remembered what he did to Rupert. He didn't deserve any sympathy after that stunt.

"I'm going to give him hell today," she said with a smirk.

She hopped out of bed and headed for the door. She stopped when she stepped into Sid's room. There was no evidence of the bloody carnage that had taken place a few hours earlier. She shuddered at the memory before she hurried out the door. She discovered Sid standing at the helm. He had a very serious look about his eyes as she marched up the steps to join him.

"I was testing you, by the way," he began as she approached him. "I wasn't really going to let Rupert die. I needed to see who you really are. I didn't mean to scare you witless. Also, as your captain, I need your respect. Do you understand, little flame?" he asked as he searched her eyes.

"I understand. I'll be a pirate. When can I kiss you again?" she asked with a huge grin.

"Tomorrow," he sighed and rolled his eyes.

"Ah, that's a pity. I was hoping for an early birthday kiss. I was born at the stroke of midnight. By Lurian law, I can claim today and tomorrow as my nineteenth birthday! I've given my parents hell with that over the years," she said with a huge grin as she put herself between Sid and the helm.

He looked at her in mild annoyance as she wrapped her arms around him, provoking the warm burn he felt earlier. He couldn't hold on to his annoyance for long. It felt wonderful having her close, and the explanation of her birthdays made him want to smile.

"Wow, captain, do you have any idea how cute you are when you blush?"

"Probably not as cute as you. Come walk with me," he whispered as he drew away from her and waved to the first mate to take the helm.

She walked with him to the front of the ship. She smiled as the warm sea air whipped through her curls. It was noticeably warmer than it was the previous day. They were heading deeper south into the Lattidor Sea.

"It's warm enough for swimming. Don't you think?" she asked as she glanced at Sid. He was leaning on the railing, staring hard into the distance. The wind was whipping his black hair off his forehead. His face was extra beautiful in the sunlight. "What are you looking at?" she asked as she followed his gaze along the empty horizon.

"Nothing yet. We're about to enter a rather perilous part of the sea. Every pathetic creature that lives there insists on taunting the most powerful pirate in the world," he grumbled.

"Who's the most powerful pirate in the world? Will we get to see him?" she asked curiously.

Sid smiled as he looked at Lacia with an eyebrow raised. She stared at him, still expecting an answer. He suddenly laughed and shook his head at her.

"You might get to see him someday," he sighed.

Lacia got the feeling she was missing a joke.

"Good morning, captain. Morning, princess," Rupert called. "I brought you some tea and savory crumpets!" he said as he hurried over, carrying a heavy breakfast tray. He stumbled, and Lacia was sure the food was about to end up in her face, but the clumsy blonde quickly recovered himself.

"Thank you, Rupert," she said in relief. "I'm starving. Um... how is your throat this morning?"

"My throat?" he asked in confusion. "Oh, right! My throat. It's fine," he laughed. "Captain has done that to me so many times it doesn't bother me anymore. Well, having to clean up the blood is annoying, but it's a small price to pay for the privilege of being a pirate chef," he said proudly as he picked up a crumpet and shoved it in his mouth.

"You have to be kidding me," Lacia said in disbelief as she looked at Sid. "How many times have you almost killed him?"

"Good question," he sighed as he leaned casually on the railing, thinking. "We have forty-eight crewmen, and twenty-two of them have been brought on board since Rupert joined," he said as he picked up a crumpet and took a bite. "So I've slit his throat twenty-three times. These are delicious. What is that refreshing aftertaste?"

"It's crushed rosemary. I worked it into the dough early this morning. It's my mother's favorite recipe. I need to get back to the kitchen now. Call if you want anything else."

Lacia was shaking her head as she watched the clumsy fellow almost stumble down the steps.

"You've slit that poor fool's throat twenty-three times and made him clean up his own blood afterward?" she asked furiously as she glared at Sid.

"Yes. He said he doesn't mind," he said with a shrug.

"You're a fucking monster. When were you going to clue me in on all these horrifying protocols?"

"Just now, actually," he said with a quick smile.

Lacia clenched her fists as she fought down the urge to punch her captain in the nose.

"Unbelievable... I'm going to the other side of the ship for a little while," she grumbled as she stomped away from the helm.

"Have fun! Don't cause too much trouble!" he called after her.

Lacia was cursing Sid under her breath as she walked across the ship, looking for a distraction. She found a small group of crewmen taking turns fencing. She stopped to watch the show for a minute. She had to admit Sid's crewmen were fantastic fighters.

"Well, bless my bones!" announced a familiar voice from behind her. "Is that you, Lacia?"

She twirled around in surprise and smiled at the familiar face approaching her.

"Barnabas! I can't believe it!" she cried in delight as she ran over and embraced him.

"At your service, milady," he laughed as he hugged her back. "I would recognize those beautiful blond curls from a mile out."

Barnabas had been a close friend to the royal family before he disappeared a few months earlier. He was a tall, well-built man with a short gray beard. The hair on his head was still dark, except for a little bit of gray over his ears. He was the best blacksmith in Luria. Lacia considered him extended family. He designed and forged every single sword she owned.

"Barnabas, you old rascal! I can't believe you ran away from Luria to become a pirate! Or did Sid kidnap you too?" she asked as she drew away from him.

"That's not the case at all. Captain Sid simply gave me an offer I couldn't refuse."

"Really? What on earth could a pirate have to offer but stolen treasure?" she asked angrily.

"Milady, please don't be angry with me. I joined Captain Sid so I could help protect you," he whispered.

"What?" she breathed in disbelief.

"Ah, I see you've met my blacksmith," Sid announced as he strolled over to join their hushed conversation.

"He was my blacksmith first, you thief!" Lacia snapped.

"Uh... actually, milady, I worked for Sid a few years before I met your father," Barnabas confessed.

"What? You were making weapons for a pirate and a king at the same time?"

"I wasn't always a pirate, little flame," Sid said with a smile.

"But you've always been an ass," she huffed.

"Princess, that's not very ladylike," Barnabas chuckled.

"I don't care. Did you know Sid has slit Rupert's throat twenty-three times?"

Barnabas burst out laughing after that comment. Lacia scowled at him.

"Sorry, milady. I'm just surprised the captain initiated you the same way he does the toughest men among us. He must know you're exceptional."

"He would be a fool to expect anything less," she grumbled as she glared at Sid.

"I sense I'm still in trouble," Sid sighed. "I'm going to leave you with Barnabas for a while. I have sword training with Rupert soon. If you need anything, let Barnabas know."

"You're personally training Rupert? Is he that bad?" she asked.

"Not at all. He's actually quite the swordsman."

"Seriously? He's like the clumsiest person I've ever met."

"True, but have you ever seen him drop anything? I'll see you later, little flame," he said before he pulled Lacia forward and kissed her forehead.

She turned beet red as she watched Sid saunter away. She wanted to be furious with him, but his touch turned her anger into calming warmth.

"I don't know what to think of him sometimes," she said in bewilderment.

"You'll learn to love him, just like the rest of us. Come now. Let's see your fencing progress. I'm glad to see you still have the sword I made for you."

"I would never willingly part with it," she declared.

Lacia and Barnabas trained with the crewmen for an hour, working up quite a sweat. Lacia was getting depressed as she lost fight after fight. She had never met a band of men so well trained before.

"This is very discouraging, Barnabas," she grumbled as she took a short break.

"How so, milady? I think you're doing wonderfully."

"No, I'm not. I know they're going easy on me," she sighed.

She watched as a shirtless man with brilliant red hair stepped into the fencing circle. The sailors grew quiet as they observed the new arrival.

"Oh no," Barnabas whispered when he noticed who Lacia was staring at.

"Who is that, Barnabas? He reminds me of Sid. His hair is rather wild. Yikes... he fights like Sid too," she whispered in amazement as she watched him tear into the young sailor she had just fought.

The strange man didn't look like a sailor. His hair reminded her of the roses in her mother's garden. His chest and feet were bare, and he moved faster than a striking snake. When his eyes caught the sunlight, they flashed like polished copper.

"That's Ragos," Barnabas sighed. "He doesn't hold back in a fight, and I've never seen him sober. He better not hurt Mathew again."

An instant later, Ragos swiped the tip of his sword across Mathew's chest, cutting him rather severely.

"Damn it, Mathew!" Ragos bellowed. "You'll have to do better than that!" he yelled as Mathew reeled backward, clutching his bleeding chest. "Do I have to cut that pretty nose off your face to get through to you?" Ragos continued as he grabbed the sailor's bloody shirt and jerked him forward.

"Hey! Leave him alone, you jerk!" Lacia yelled.

She pushed through the circle of sailors and stomped over to Ragos. Poor Barnabas hurried after her with his heart in his throat. Ragos turned his piercing copper eyes on Lacia. He looked her up and down with his handsome brow furrowed.

"What do we have here? Why is there a gorgeous woman on the ship?" he asked as he pushed Mathew aside. He crashed into a group of sailors.

"I'm supposed to be here," she snapped as Ragos walked over to her. "I would like to know who let a jackass like you on the ship."

He laughed in her face, and she smelled whiskey on his breath, but it was sweeter than any alcohol she ever smelled.

"Are you drunk?" she asked in astonishment. "How shameful. Who gets sloshed this early in the day?"

"Why yes, pretty lady. I'm very sloshed and constantly shaming myself," Ragos chuckled as he grabbed her and jerked her forward. She gasped as she crashed into his chest. He smiled at the shock on her face as he held her tight. "Constant intoxication is an art form, and I have perfected it. I also have other notable skills. Would you like to experience them?" he whispered as he tangled his fingers into her beautiful golden curls.

"Ragos, let her go," Barnabas warned.

"Seriously, Barny? Are you going to throw a hammer at me again?" he asked as he looked at the blacksmith like he was an idiot.

"He's right, Ragos. Let her go, please," Sid growled from behind him.

Lacia felt Ragos's body tense at the sound of the captain's voice.

"Fine. Since you said please," he grumbled.

Ragos pushed Lacia towards Barnabas, and she stumbled right into her friend's arms. Barnabas quickly pulled her back.

"Barnabas, let me go! I'm not a child!" she huffed as she pushed away from him. She hurried back to the circle of men to see Sid standing behind Ragos. The captain had a murderous look on his face.

"So, little brother," Ragos began. "I'm guessing that girl's last name is Alphonse. Am I right?"

"Yes, Ragos. That is Princess Lacia. She is a protected member of my crew."

"I don't believe it!" Ragos announced in delight as he twirled to look at Sid. "You actually held that bastard king to his bargain! I'm so proud of you! I honestly thought you would wuss out and let him keep his daughter."

"Fuck off, Ragos. I'm already pissed at you for cutting Mathew. I told you not to come aboard this ship drunk. How many times do we have to go through this?" he growled.

"Sorry, bro. It's hard to keep track of all your stupid rules," he mumbled as he turned and winked at Lacia. "So, did you kidnap a sister for me too?"

That's when Sid let out a roar of a growl and grabbed Ragos by his hair. He hauled him across the deck, kicking and screaming, over to the side of the ship. Then he shoved him over the railing. There was a loud splash as Sid walked away so he could check on Mathew.

"Sid! What are you doing?" Lacia shrieked. "You can't just throw your drunk brother overboard and leave him to die!"

"Yes, I can!" he yelled as he placed his hand on Mathew's chest, preparing to heal him.

"I don't believe this!" she cried as she ran over to the side of the ship and looked at the water. "I don't see him. He must have gone under. We have to help him!" she yelled as she looked back at Barnabas, hoping he would assist in the rescue.

Suddenly, a lot of startling things happened really fast. Lacia observed a stunned expression on Barnabas's face as water exploded around her. She felt an abundant spray of water hit her back as Barnabas opened his mouth to yell, but she never heard his voice. She was instantly snatched up into the air by a pair of strong arms. She shrieked as she watched the deck fall away from her. The ship was growing smaller and smaller as she was carried up into the sky over the south sea. She wanted to scream again, but she was too terrified to get any sound out. She decided some awful half-human sea bird had carried her off for lunch.

Suddenly, her ascent stopped, and she felt one of the arms release her waist. She sucked in a breath, preparing to scream, but she didn't when she felt her legs being hoisted up. She found herself cradled against a person's chest. They were hovering between blankets of misty morning clouds under an expanse of sun-pierced blue. It would have been enchanting if Lacia weren't absolutely terrified. She looked up in amazement and met Ragos's copper eyes. He smiled at her triumphantly. Her mouth dropped open as she looked over his shoulder at the brilliant red-scaled wings beating hard against the air.

"By the gods! Are you a demon?" she shrieked as she wrapped her arms around his neck. She didn't trust Ragos not to drop her in his drunken state.

"Unbelievable... Sidian didn't tell you what we are?"

"Who's Sidian?" she demanded in confusion.

"Seriously? He didn't even tell you his full name? What a scumbag. The least he could do is tell his future bride he isn't human. Isn't that right, little brother?" Ragos called as he looked past Lacia and winked at someone.

She followed his gaze and shrieked to see Sid a few feet away from them. He was drenched in sunlight. He had magnificent black scaled wings behind his shoulders, beating against the air like drapes of shimmering black pearls. His eyes shined bluer than the sky around them. His handsome chest was bare and defined under his sand-colored skin. Lacia suddenly wondered if she was seeing a black winged angel, or possibly a demigod.

"Give her to me, Ragos, or I'll rip your arms off again," Sidian growled.

"Calm down, little brother. I just wanted to spend time with my future sister-in-law. She's beautiful. How old is she?" he asked with a mischievous grin.

"None of your damn business. Do not test me, Ragos," Sidian growled in a voice so low it didn't sound human. Blue fire ignited in his eyes as he spoke.

Lacia stared at Sidian in fear and fascination. She had allowed herself to accept that he was a magic-wielding pirate, but the situation had suddenly escalated into absolute madness.

"Oh, my innocent little brother," Ragos chuckled, drinking in his fury. "You talk as if you don't trust me. You know I wouldn't hurt a woman on purpose, even if it would make you hilariously angry. I have an idea. You tell this poor girl what we are, and I'll hand her over without a fuss."

"Innocent? He's a fucking pirate, for heaven's sake!" Lacia grumbled.

Ragos laughed at her comment.

"I like you, Lacia," he said thoughtfully. "You should make Sidian tell you what we are. Then you can safely return to the ship."

She nodded as she looked at Sidian. He looked furious and trapped.

"What are you?" she asked in a trembling voice.

"I'm a dragon, Lacia. I wasn't going to hide it forever."

Lacia's mouth dropped open with a gasp that half froze in her throat. She was too stunned to be stunned more at that point.

"There we go! That wasn't so bad," Ragos announced with a smile as he looked between Lacia and his brother. They both had heartbroken looks on their faces. It completely ruined his fun. "Oh, for crying out loud. You two are perfect for each other... pathetically innocent and overly emotional. I hope you have lots of overly emotional babies," he grumbled as he flew over to his brother and dropped Lacia into his arms.

Sidian quickly gathered Lacia close as she wrapped her arms around his neck. In spite of her terror, she felt safe with Sidian.

"It's all right, little flame. I won't drop you," he whispered soothingly.

"I can't believe you, Sidian. How could you not tell her what we are?" Ragos asked in disbelief.

"I was going to tell her at a better time, you dumb fuck! She's only been with me for two days. Two very traumatizing fucking days."

"Oh crap, sorry... talk about bad timing," he said with an embarrassed smile.

"Do me a favor. Don't ever set foot on the Black Wing again," Sidian growled before he turned to fly back to the ship.

"So... I'll see you next week?" Ragos called after them.

Sidian felt Lacia's tears dripping down his neck as he landed on the deck next to Barnabas. As soon as he released her, she pushed him away and ran for the side of the ship. He watched in dismay as she leaned over the railing and vomited up her breakfast. Sidian put his hand over his eyes and groaned in defeat.

"Don't fret, captain," Barnabas sighed. "All good relationships start off a little rocky. She would have eventually met Ragos."

"I knew kidnapping her was a bad idea," he sighed as he walked over to Lacia and gently patted her on the back. "I am so sorry about that, little flame. Are you all right?"

"I'm fine. I'm fine," she stammered. "Just never flew so fast, or so high, so unexpectedly before," she said a little drunkenly as she lowered herself to her knees. She leaned her head on the railing to rest as she waited for her heart to stop pounding.

"Next time, vomit on Ragos. Maybe that will teach him some manners," he sighed.

1...34567...11