Beastly Roommates

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"What was that all about?" Asked David after I got in.

"Sara has just been a little annoying today," I replied with a sigh.

"Ok then, I won't dig further. I know better than to pry into girl talk!" He exclaimed with a laugh and started driving. I looked at him with relief and smiled for a moment. He smiled back and I felt a warmth in my belly, but then quickly looked forward with a light gasp. Sara was at least a partially correct. I was becoming more fond of the man as we spent more time together. My heart started pounding with the realization and I took a deep breath to try to calm myself.

"You alright?"

"Yes..." I answered, a bit more eagerly than I'd intended.

"Ok, just checking." I glanced back at him and felt that warmth again, then looked forward again. Now that I recognized the feeling, I figured there had to be some way to deal with it. I didn't quite know how yet, but I knew one thing for sure... I was absolutely not telling Sara!

Chapter 13

The whole ride home Ruth stared straight ahead, not moving one bit. I knew something was up, but I figured I'd wait a while before asking about it. We'd made it home soon enough though. I grabbed my backpack from behind the seat and headed for the door. Out of the corner of my eye I saw our neighbors, a couple of centaurs who I was pretty sure were mates, glaring at me and I sighed. It wasn't the first time, and I'm sure it wouldn't the last. I hated being disliked and distrusted for no reason, though they probably knew the feeling better than I ever would. Turning away I followed Ruth into the apartment.

"Have you ever actually talked to any of your neighbors?" I asked, once we were inside.

"A few times over the years. They were pleasant enough, but I've mostly kept to myself."

"Oh." Ruth glanced away.

"You are human though, and they don't really trust your kind," she added quietly.

"I can't say I really blame them," I muttered.

"What's more is you have a truck, where before there weren't any motor vehicles here. Centaurs don't drive, though I do see them on the bus sometimes." I sighed again and Ruth turned directly toward me. "You're a good man, David. Just give them some time and I think they'll come around."

"Thanks, and I hope so." I adjusted my backpack and started to turn away, but stopped when I saw Ruth looking at me curiously.

"If you don't mind me asking, what's in the bag."

"My shooting stuff. I went to the range with Tom." Ruth's eyes widened.

"Shooting, as in... guns...?"

"... yeah..." her eyebrows furrowed.

"I want them out of here, now," she said in a low growl.

"Wait, what?"

"Get rid of them!" She hissed.

"And put them where?"

"I don't know, nor do I care!" The volume of her voice started raising. "I just want them out of my apartment!

"Hey! Your name might be on the lease, but I pay my share!"

"You brought them in without my knowledge or consent! That is not acceptable!" I opened my mouth to retort, but stopped when I realized that she had a point. I took a deep breath to calm myself, though Ruth still looked almost angry enough to lower her head and charge.

"You're right. I should have told you about them when I moved in," I said gently.

"You mean before you moved in," she spat.

"Yeah," I conceded. "Can I at least explain why I have them?" Ruth snorted in irritation. "Please?"

"Fine, but then I want them gone." We walked to the dining area and sat down at the table, hoping that my story might change her mind.

"I've had to work in some pretty rough places, but there was one that was especially bad." I shut my eyes for a moment and braced myself for the revisiting of some terrible memories. "I was put in charge of building a gas station a couple towns over... in the slums. Turns out we were on the border between a couple of rival gangs. One of the workers there happened to be a member of one of them."

"That doesn't sound good..." murmured Ruth. Her expression started softening a little.

"It wasn't. He was a good worker and we didn't have any issues with him personally." I took a deep breath. "But a few weeks into the job, an old beat-up SUV pulls up and some guys in masks jump out and started unloading on the place. I was out of the way in the job trailer, but Tom was on site and got grazed in the leg. He's still got the scar. A few other workers had some grazes and near misses too. That gang member didn't get so lucky. He took four shots to the chest. After the hitmen drove off I watched him die while Tom was trying to administer first aid." Ruth covered her mouth in shock. "The job site closed down immediately, and there was a big investigation. Me and Tom both signed up for concealed weapons permit classes the next day. I know a couple of guys with handguns aren't likely to stop a dedicated attack like that, but I think it's better than being a sitting duck."

As I finished my story, Ruth had her head low with her eyes shut.

"I...can see why you would think that way. You still should have told me about them sooner."

"That's fair. You deserved at least that much. I'm sorry."

We were both quiet for a minute.

"I assume that you carry them around with you?" Asked Ruth, breaking the silence.

"One of them."

"How many do you have?"

"Four. Three revolvers and a shotgun."

"Why so many?"

"The first revolver was because of the attack, but I got the other two because I found that I like going to the range and shooting. It's cathartic."

"And the shotgun?"

"Tom was invited to go skeet shooting a couple years back and loved it. He got a shotgun and invited me a couple weeks later and I liked it too, so now we've both got one."

"I see. So it's also something you do for enjoyment."

"Yeah, it can be a lot of fun." I paused for a second and lowered my voice. "But to be honest, if I could press a button that would get rid of all the guns on the street, including mine, I'd probably push it..." Ruth looked down for a few seconds with her eyes closed, then sighed.

"I still wish you didn't have them, but I guess they can stay." I broke into a grateful smile.

"Thanks for listening. That means a lot."

"Just put them away, please," she said flatly before going to her room, shutting the door behind her.

"Could've been better, could've been worse." I muttered. However, now I had to try to get my roommate to not be upset at me anymore...

I ended up figuring that making a special dinner would probably be the best bet, so I headed into the kitchen to see if I could whip up something she might like. Rummaging through the cupboards and fridge, I found all the ingredients to make grilled tofu burritos with homemade guacamole.

I was well underway and just cutting up cilantro for the guac when Ruth came out of her room and into the kitchen. She sniffed the air.

"That smells good..." I grinned.

"You seem to be feeling a little better."

"Yes." She seemed to pull into herself and looked at the floor demurely... it was kind of adorable. "I'm sorry about losing my temper like that..."

"Uh uh. You had every right to get mad, I was in the wrong," I insisted.

"Ok, thank you." She stood up a bit straighter.

"A peace offering?" I gestured to the tofu chunks that I started flipping in the skillet.

"What is it?"

"It's going to be grilled burritos!" Her eyes lit up excitedly.

"That sounds delightful!"

"I take it the offering is working?" Her eyes upturned in a smile and she laughed.

"Not yet, but I think it will!" Ruth's strange, but beautiful brown eyes locked on mine and my heart started to race.

"Friends again?" I asked, breaking the spell, and the silence.

"No." I frowned, but Ruth's whole face softened. "Friends still," she said quietly and I smiled.

"It won't be ready for a little bit, so how about you go and get comfortable." I suggested, needing a moment to myself to get a grip! I started turning back to the stove but was interrupted.

"David?" I looked back at Ruth. "You're a good friend." I smiled, and for a moment she nervously shuffled from hoof to hoof as if deciding something. Without warning, she closed the distance and wrapped me in a hug. It was obvious that Ruth was bigger than me, but being this close made me realize just how much. Her arms didn't so much wrap around as much as I felt completely engulfed by her massive form. What really caught me off guard was just how much I liked it! I felt... safe. It was kind of a strange feeling, but one that I was actually enjoying. Once I got over my surprise I slowly snaked my arms around her too. I could feel her coarse fur under her blouse as I ran my hands across her broad back, and her large body felt soft against mine. I nestled in closer with my head on her chest, just above the swell of her breasts. Her chin, likewise, rested on top of my head. Then as abruptly as it started, she pulled away and quickly left for her room without looking at me at all.

As I watched her go, I couldn't help wondering exactly what that was all about, and why she left so quickly. I did know one thing though, my pants felt just a little bit tighter... and I was a little worried about that.

"Come on, David, seriously. Get a grip," I muttered as I turned back to the stove.

Chapter 14

It was late Thursday morning a few weeks later, and it had been unseasonably chilly and raining practically nonstop for three days! Since David was at work and I had the day off, I decided to clean the apartment and had just finished. I changed back into my nightgown and cracked one of the front room windows to listen to the soothing sound of the rainfall. After taking a book from my room I got ready to settle in for a nice relaxing afternoon. I eyed my comfy chair for a moment, but then looked at David's couch. I glanced between the two a few times until I finally decided to give the couch a try!

Letting out a low chuckle I sat down in the middle, and I laughed out loud just before throwing myself into a laying position. David was right, the couch was comfortable.

Pulling one of my homemade afghans over me, I cracked open my book and started reading. Before long though, I was lulled to sleep by the warmth of the blanket and the sound of the rain.

Some time later I woke to the sound of heavy rainfall.

"Oh, no!" I exclaimed when I saw that water was starting to get in through the window I'd left open. I ran over to shut it, and through the haze of the downpour I saw headlights approaching. I glanced at the time and was confused because David wasn't due to be home for another few hours. Regardless, the vehicle stopped in front of our apartment and a minute later he stumbled through the door completely drenched. Once inside he let out a couple of ragged coughs.

"David, are you ok?" I asked, it was then I noticed that he was very pale, and helped him get out of his wet coat.

"Not really..." he croaked.

"I'll be right back." I went to the kitchen and got a chair. After he sat down I took off his boots, and tried not to breath while taking off his socks.

"Thank you." I helped him back to his feet and guided him to the bathroom. Once there, I turned the shower on and cursed that it couldn't be used for a bath.

"There. You go ahead and warm up. I'll get some comfortable clothes from your room and figure out something for food" He smiled weakly.

"You're the best," my heart skipped a beat, but I returned his smile anyway.

"That's what friends are for," I replied gently.

I left the bathroom and headed for his room. I took a deep breath before entering. I glanced around, looking at how different it was since he'd moved in. Like my room, most of the space was taken up by the bed, which had been neatly made. There was also a small dresser in the corner, and next to it was what looked like a narrow upright safe... I shuddered when I realized that was mostly likely where he kept his guns. In his closet there were a bunch of shirts hanging neatly, and a few unmarked boxes on the top shelf.

I looked around until I found a fleece sweatshirt, and a pair of sweatpants. I groaned sheepishly when I found his underwear drawer, and quickly stuffed the pair on top inside the sweatshirt.

Having gotten everything I was looking for, I went back to the bathroom door and cracked it open.

"I'm leaving you some clothes on the floor, ok?" I heard a muffled acknowledgment, followed by more coughing through the door and I reached my arm inside with the clothing and dropped them.

With that done, I ordered some food. Figuring something spicy might help clear his sinuses, I ordered him a spicy chicken dish from a Chinese restaurant that was around the corner. I also ordered wonton soup, thinking the broth would feel good on his throat. For myself I ordered a grilled tofu and rice dish. I went to my room and quickly changed and headed back to the front room. Looking out the window I saw with dismay that the rain hadn't let up any. The sound of another ragged coughing fit came from the bathroom and I sighed. I put on my raincoat and took an umbrella from the closet. With a deep breath I walked out the door.

With the wind blowing as hard as it was, the umbrella ended up only being useful in keeping my head dry. I was grateful for how long my raincoat was, but my knees and everything below were still getting soaked. Fortunately, the restaurant wasn't very far, and before long I'd made it back home with my prize.

Shivering off the cold, I gave my hooves a quick brush off at the door before deciding to leave my slippers off to keep them from getting wet. After carefully making my way to the linen closet where I got a towel and dried my lower legs off as best I could and changed out of my wet skirt back into my nightgown. By the time that was done, David was turning off the shower. I took the end tables and put it in front of the couch to put the food on and got some silverware from the kitchen.

A minute later David came out wearing the clothes I'd left for him.

"Hi, are you feeling any better?"

"A little..." he croaked.

"That's good at least, I brought you food." I gestured to the bag on the chair. He smiled weakly.

"You didn't have to do that..." he murmured as he sat down on the couch and I sat next to him. A thrill ran through me as I felt his body next to mine, and I realized that other than when I helped him with his boots earlier, this was the first time we'd touched at all since I'd spontaneously hugged him a few weeks back. I shook my head to try to clear it and handed him his dinner.

"Mmm, I do like General Tso's chicken..." he said when he opened the folded cardboard container.

"I figured something spicy might help clear your sinuses."

"That's good thinking. Thanks."

"I also got you wonton soup." He didn't answer. He was too busy moaning after taking his first bite of the chicken.

"This is good..."

I took out my meal and got started on it. It was pretty tasty, but I prefered David's cooking.

Before long the food was gone and I'd bundled it all in the bag it came in. I looked at David and noticed that his eyes were half closed.

"You look tired."

"I took some cough medicine after the shower... drowsy..." he murmured. I started to get up to take care of the mess from dinner, but David took hold of my hand and my heart skipped a beat. "Don't go..." he pleaded.

"I'll be right back, I promise," I quietly assured and he let go. I left to throw out the trash and when I got back I draped the afghan I was using earlier over David before sitting back down. A few seconds later he leaned against me.

"You're warm," he muttered with a dopey grin. My heart started to race, but I couldn't help putting my arm around his shoulders and he leaned a little further, nestling in even closer. For the next couple minutes he'd move, then I'd move, then he'd move again, and when we'd finally settled I was half reclining against the arm of the couch with my legs angled off the front. David ended up mostly laying on me with both of my arms around him. My stomachs were fluttering like they never had before. David, out of it as he was, looked as content as he could be, but I couldn't believe that I'd let this go so far. He turned his head up and his eyes opened just a crack. My heart somehow pounded even harder as he reached up and gently stroked my face with the back of his hand.

"You're beautiful..." he whispered, and my breath caught in my throat. I squeezed my eyes shut and when I was able to start breathing again it came in little gasps. I shuddered as he lightly ran his fingertips from the side of my muzzle, across my cheek just under my glasses, and then down my neck once before pulled his hand away. A few seconds later he was snoring gently.

With my eyes still tightly closed, I traced the same route with a trembling hand.

For several minutes I couldn't bring myself to move, but after forcing a deep and shaky breath I opened my eyes and slid out from under David as carefully as I could. I placed a pillow under his head, then got another blanket and covered him with it. I spent a minute gazing at him, just before caressing his face the same way he'd done to me.

"So are you," I whimpered as a tears started welling up in my eyes.

I went to my room and laid down in bed. I couldn't keep fighting what I was feeling, and for the first time I wasn't even sure that I wanted to anymore. I'd never felt this way about anyone, and even if it was revealed in a feverish stupor, on some level David felt the same.

But the truth was that he was human, and I, a minotaur. It could never work. I blinked, fighting to keep my tears from falling, but a despite my best efforts a few drops landed on my pillow anyway.

Chapter 15

It was a beautiful Saturday afternoon, and I was headed to the skeet range to do some shooting with Tom.

On my way from the truck to the clubhouse, I found myself thinking about the half-formed memories from when I was sick again. Specifically, the memories of cuddling with Ruth. She'd been acting a little strangely since I'd gotten sick so I didn't think it was a fever dream or anything like that, but she wasn't there when I woke up, and neither one of us had brought it up. I did know one thing though, real or not, I remembered how nice it was being snuggled up in Ruth's arms, and deep down I wanted it to happen again.

"Yo, earth to David!" Tom shouted with a whistle, just before waving his hand in front of my face. Startled, I jumped back a little.

"Hey, don't scare me like that!"

"Dude, I said your name like three times!"

"Oh..." I grunted, feeling kinda dumb.

"Come on, let's just get going," he urged with a laugh.

We dropped off our cases and picked up our shells, then headed to the sporting clays course.

"Alright, you think you can beat Dead-Eye Renault!?" Boasted Tom when we got to the first stall, and I laughed at his ridiculous moniker.

"More like 'Dim-Eyed,'" I joked, as we both knew I was the better shooter.

"Hey, I've got a good feeling about today!"

"You say that every time, and every time you get your butt kicked," I reminded him teasingly. "I'll go first so you can see where the targets are coming from though!" I offered.

"Fine!" He agreed. He sounded indignant, but I knew he was willing to take every advantage he could get!

Looking at the trajectory diagram at the first stall, it looked like the first clay pigeon was going to be coming to me high and from the left, and the second would be going away low on the right, probably pretty quickly too. I loaded up a couple of shells and flicked the selector so that my close shot barrel would fire first, giving me a slightly longer window of opportunity for my second shot.

I shouldered my gun and yelled "pull!"

1...34567...11