Beautiful Pt. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Yeah, I think she was, probably still is. She'll need her friends. And I'm proud of you for not being afraid of who you are. Brandy's a lucky girl."

"Thanks. We'll be there for Kaylin and Dani. For Coach, too. We've already talked about it, me and the team."

"I believe you, and I'm proud of you."

***

Mother - I'd like to see you for lunch today, if you're free.

I ran my hands over my eyes. It was Tuesday morning, and I'd been dreading this text for the last two days. The news stories hadn't let up, if anything they were getting worse. Sandy had turned off her phone, and reporters had turned up outside her house. One even showed up to her clinic. She'd spent last night here, just to get away from it. Well, maybe not just for that.

But with the attention this was getting, my mother weighing in on it was inevitable.

Me- I'm free. Where?

She picked a spot. I couldn't have cared less which one, and she was waiting for me when I arrived. She was sitting facing the door, legs crossed, sipping on her normal unsweetened tea as I entered.

She stood up as I made my way to the table. "Mother." She kissed me on the cheek without an ounce of affection showing on her face. Quite impressive really, but par for the course where she was concerned. I tried to stay as stoic as possible, but the energy between us was the same as always. She was the alpha, and I wasn't, and we both knew it.

"So, I take it you've been watching the news."

I could have played dumb, but I was sick of the disingenuousness of it all. "Of course. Kaylin's Paige's friend. And Sandy's just broken up about it."

My mother's expression soured further, if that were possible. "I'm sure that she's scared of losing her job."

"Mother, she's a doctor, she coaches because she loves it, not because she has to. And she's broken up because one of her players, a young woman she cares about, tried to kill herself."

"I doubt that, Melanie. Those people don't care about anyone but themselves."

"Those people? I'm one of those people too, y'know. So I don't care about anyone but myself?"

"Apparently not. I've never seen you so selfish. And it's going to stop now."

"I'm being selfish, for being happy for the first time in my, well, in a long time. We've been over this before."

"But this is different, Melanie."

"How?"

"Because this has legs, especially from what happened last week. That coach is going to go down for this."

"No she isn't."

"Yes she is, because people need someone to blame, Melanie, and they aren't going to blame the scared, grieving parents. So we need to talk about what you're going to do when that happens."

I gave a dry chuckle. "You mean you're going to tell me what I'm going to do."

She almost cracked a smile. I think she thought she'd won, and that made me mad. "Well, you have to admit this isn't your strong suit, making good decisions."

"I've made some bad ones, like when I listened to you about marrying Bill, or not applying for that job with Houghton Mifflin when I graduated college."

"Those were both the right decisions, and you know it. And you're going to back off from this relationship. You can destroy your own life, but I will not let you drag down your family, your brother's career. Let her sink."

"Is that an order?"

"Melanie." Her voice took me right back to childhood, the tone saying she'd had enough of whatever insolence she felt I was guilty of. But I also realized that I wasn't a child.

"Mom, you know the first rule of command? Never give an order you know won't be followed." I stood up. She may be the alpha, but I was a mother too, and I'd had it. The only reason I'd agreed to meet her was to say what I had to say right now. "I'm going to stand by her side through this, whatever it ends up being. After the holidays she's moving in with me, and when she asks me to marry her, I'm going to say 'yes'. And it's up to you if you want to continue to be a part of my life, or my children's lives, but it's on my terms. And John can fend for his fucking self. I can't wait to vote against him."

I turned on my heel and walked out, straight toward the door. I didn't care if I bumped into a chair or two as I did, like I normally would. Luckily I didn't trip. I was breathing heavily by the time I made it out to the car. I immediately called Sandy when I got to the car.

"Hey, Baby. How are you?"

"Hi, I didn't think you'd answer."

"Just charting from this morning's appointments. I only have a minute though, my next appointment is being brought back, and I have to look her chart over."

"I just had lunch with Mom."

"You need to stop doing that."

I giggled at the humor in her voice. "I may just have. Talk to you tonight?"

"Sure. Want me to bring Paige home after practice?"

"Yes, please. Can you bring Will, too? He has debate, and I have to get Charlie from robotics."

"Of course."

"Alright, I'll text him to head over to the field house after debate finishes."

***

As we cuddled in bed that night I marveled at how perfect the busy night had gone. I could get very used to having another adult around in the afternoons. We hadn't made love, but just being able to slip into her arms as I came to bed was wonderful.

Sandy's fingers ran softly through my hair as I lay against her. "So, there's going to be an emergency meeting of the school board on Thursday."

"What?" I put my hand on her shoulder and propped myself up on my elbow. "Why didn't you say anything?"

"I didn't want to worry Paige, or have her distract the team."

I gave her a slightly stern look. "Sandy, we have to tell her." We'd made a point of not watching the news tonight, although I knew from checking local news web pages that the story was only growing.

"I know. I just wanted to talk to you about it first. You don't have to be a part of it if you don't want to."

"And make my mother happy? Not a chance. She told me to dump you again. Basically just stand back and let the bus run you over."

"That might not be a bad idea." She tried to say it with humor, but there was just a tinge of fear in my normally confident lover's voice. "I know how vicious rumor mills and gossips can be."

"I don't care about those things. I only care about you, and us, together."

There was a tear in her eye. "Are you sure?"

"Absolutely. I'm in this all the way. For better or for worse." I realized what I'd said and blushed. "Sorry."

"Don't be sorry." She put her hand on my cheek and rolled me onto my back, fixing me with her most intense gaze, and my heart melted inside my chest. "I'm going to marry you someday, Melanie Pierson. I love you, and I want you forever. Always by my side."

A sob broke free from my chest, and she kissed me. I knew in that moment, as she covered me with her body, that I'd made the right choice. She would always be the right choice.

*****

When I dropped Will and Paige off at school in the morning I sent my son off while holding his sister back, telling her about the meeting coming up. "Coach doesn't want to worry you all, but I thought you should know."

Paige was quiet for a moment. "Should I tell the team?"

"That's up to you, you're the captain. What do you think?"

"I think that if someone were keeping it from me, I'd be angry. Thanks, Mom."

She didn't give me a hug, but that didn't surprise me, especially not with the hard set to her eyes as she left our van. That told me she was processing the information. I heard her call out, and two young women in letterman's jackets responded from near the entrance. Paige started jogging their way, and I just drove on, trusting her to deal with things.

***

The next two days passed at a glacial pace. I was having a horrible time concentrating, making silly mistakes at my work. I got a phone call from my mother, who told me that I was not to attend the school board meeting. She tried a different tack this time. "They're going to laugh at you. You know that right?" I just hung up.

My heart beat faster and faster as Thursday passed. Time seemed to go by in spurts and fits. I talked to Bill, letting him know that I was planning on standing with Sandy tonight.

"I understand. All I care about is that Paige loves her, and she's a way better player now than the beginning of the season. To be honest I don't know if Virginia would be interested without everything the coach has done, so I feel like we owe her. 'Course, you're probably rewarding her enough for both of us."

I laughed at his teasing tone. "Yeah, not sure what she sees in me, but..."

"I do." The seriousness in his tone took me aback. "Look, Melanie, I know I'm probably not your favorite person, and I've always appreciated how you've never bad-mouthed me in front of the kids. God knows I deserved it. But I don't think I ever told you that I was sorry about how I behaved at the end of our marriage. I'm just glad you're happy. Really."

I was really touched. "Thanks, Bill. I appreciate that."

We made arrangements for Ashley to pick up the boys, which took a load off my mind. There were a group of parents talking when I got to the school to pick up Paige. Renee Perry was central among them, and I watched the conversation dwindle as I approached.

"Well, we find out tonight." I stared right at her as I spoke.

She cocked her head to the side. "Whatever do you mean?" Her voice was all innocent confusion while her eyes flashed with malice.

"I mean you've been trying to get Coach Dalton fired all season. You hired a private investigator to take pictures of her, tried to drag both her and my daughter's name through the dirt, and you're a big part of the reason Kaylin Ellis is lying in a hospital room instead of getting changed after practice."

Renee's pleasant expression evaporated, anger burning through her face. "How dare you?"

"How dare I?" I laughed, short and bitter. "I am not the one who has anything to be ashamed about here." I looked around at the other parents.

That evil smirk came back. "You don't?"

"No, I don't. I'll be standing next to her tonight, and you can say anything about her you want, but she's amazing, the best thing that's happened to me, and to Paige, and to most of the other girls on the team in a long time." I looked past Renee towards the other parents. "Coach Dalton and I are dating, just in case any of you aren't up to speed."

"Dating? You mean, like..."

I looked at Brianna's dad. "Yes, like going on dates, holding hands and kissing, occasionally having amazing sex." That drew a nervous titter from at least one person present, but I kept going. "So, it goes without saying I've gotten to know Sandra Dalton extremely well, and she is one of the finest human beings I have ever had the pleasure of knowing, and we're all lucky to have her as our coach. I hope you'll all come to the meeting tonight and support her."

The girls started emerging from the locker room. Paige and Adrienne were two of the last talking quietly together before separating. Adrienne waved to me. "Hi, Mrs. Pierson." I smiled and returned her greeting before her mother grabbed her arm and pulled her away. Paige had moved behind her, walking next to Coach Dalton.

I knew every eye in the hall was on me as I walked over to my daughter and girlfriend. If they were going to laugh at me fine, I didn't care.

Sandy's face was mildly confused as I approached. I extended my hand, palm down, which she took without hesitation as I smiled at her. "Hi," I lifted my chin slightly for a kiss. Fear flashed through me for the briefest instant. Maybe I'd overstepped. Maybe she wasn't ready, maybe... Her lips closed over mine, silencing my self-doubt. It was a brief kiss; we were in public, after all.

When it ended I stood by her side, my hand still in hers, staring defiantly back at the parents and players watching us. "See you all tonight."

***

We pulled into the parking lot at the administration building. I really wasn't sure what to expect. I'd heard all the horror stories about picket lines, people on either side foaming at the mouth, screaming at each other, but that wasn't the case. There were reporters however, with multiple news vans evident. Sandy reached for my hand, squeezing it tight as we made our way across the asphalt. Paige walked a few steps behind us as we approached.

"Coach Dalton! Coach Dalton! Do you have a statement you'd like to make? Why are they trying to run you out? Is it true that you're a lesbian? Who is that you're with? Is that your wife?"

We ignored the questions, and I tried to stand as straight as I could, seeing as there were no fewer than four cameras on us as we walked. I imagined somewhere my mother was screaming as I embarrassed our family by daring to be happy, walking next to the woman I loved.

We made our way into the council room, and a hush fell over the murmur echoing through the huge chamber. I was getting roundly sick of that. I looked around at everyone gathered. Principal Harrison walked boldly forward, shaking both Sandy's and my hands. Several of the team parents greeted us as well. I did my best to read the energy in the room, but I was way out of my depth. I wasn't politicking here. My job was to support my partner, and I tried to focus on that.

We moved deeper into the room, finding several seats. For the next fifteen minutes I watched the arrivals. Renee and Senator Perry made their grand entrance, almost arm in arm with Mary Ann Ellis. The Yews came in as well, along with Dani and her parents. In all there were at least a dozen members of the team in attendance, most of them with their parents, filling the large room.

The School Board members took their seats and the ambient noise died down. I watched the chairwoman, whose placard identified her as Rosalee Dobbin, pick up her gavel, gently caressing the handle as she surveyed the assembly. She glanced to left, then right, getting nods from her peers before banging the gavel down onto the table.

"Order, I am calling this meeting to order." She spoke with a clear, professional alto voice that let everyone with any sense know she was in charge. "Since this is a special session we can dispense with the formalities. We are here to investigate the allegations of inappropriate behavior by Coach Sandra Dalton. The chair recognizes Mary Ann Ellis, who brought the complaint.

"Thank you, Madam Chairwoman." Mrs. Ellis shot Sandy a look of pure vitriol as she stepped to the speaking lectern. Her bearing was every inch the grieving mother, but I'd be stunned if everyone in the room couldn't feel the seething anger behind the façade.

"Since the beginning of the season our daughter, Kaylin, has been unhappy. She's had her head filled with ideas that there is something noble about same-sex attraction, convinced that she was feeling those feelings, indoctrinated into the idea that she was a lesbian. Coach Dalton met with her privately to convince her that she was gay, pushing her into a lifestyle Kaylin has been taught from the cradle is wrong. When we discovered this, her father and I tried to remove her from the situation, but it was too late. She'd become so confused, so disillusioned that she tried to take her own life." Her face screwed up, voice cracking with emotion.

"I almost lost my daughter, my most precious, to her." She pointed at Sandy, fixing her with a look of pure hatred. "God knows what she wanted from her, what she'd already tried to get from others on the team."

"That's a lie!"

Bang, bang! "Order, please!" Ms. Dobbin banged her gavel as I turned to face Paige, who was standing red-faced. I could almost see the steam coming out of her nose like a raging bull.

"Coach Dalton hasn't ever been inappropriate to me or anyone else."

One of the other board members spoke. "We all saw the pictures, young lady."

"I was the one in those pictures, and Nothing. Was. Happening!"

Mrs. Ellis stared at my daughter with an impressive mix of pity, fury and contempt. "That's how groomers operate, Miss Pierson. You all have to understand that." She cast her gaze around the room before turning back to the board. "I know she was working on Paige just like she was my Kaylin. We have to protect our children. My daughter had never shown any interest in other girls until she arrived." Mary pointed toward Sandy. "She was a good girl, and now she's in a hospital bed fighting for her life. This can't stand. That woman should be removed, and she should be prosecuted for sexual deviance with a minor. Thank you."

She stepped away, and as she did Dani Williams stood up. I heard her mother whisper her name, trying to get her to sit, but instead she locked her eyes on the chairwoman and raised her hand.

"Yes, young lady?"

"Um, I have something to say." Her voice was soft, like it always, but it carried a strength and gravitas that kept the room silent.

Ms. Collins looked at Dani's mom, who was staring up at her daughter, confusion etched on her face. Dani met her mother's gaze with a pleading look, her eyes begging. "Okay, sweetheart."

Dani took two steps out of the aisle of chairs, moving to the lectern.

"And what is your name, young lady?"

"Dani Williams, um, Danielle Williams."

"And you're a teammate of Kaylin Ellis?"

"Yes, ma'am." Dani's spine straightened slightly, her chin rising. "And I'm her girlfriend."

A murmur went around the room as Dani paused for a second. Mrs. Williams gasped, covering her mouth as she stared at her daughter. Dani gave everyone a moment to calm down before she continued. "If you want confirmation of that, ask any of the girls on the team." She swallowed heavily. "I'm sure Mrs. Ellis believes what she was saying, but most of it wasn't true. Kaylin and I have been together for over a year, long before we met Coach Dalton. Kaylin was not, is not confused about her sexuality. She's known she's gay for years, long before she met me."

"That's not true! She was a good girl." Mary Ann was red in the face.

Dani responded, not turning from the board. "And she still is! Being gay doesn't make you bad."

Mrs. Ellis's response was cut off by the pounding of the gavel. "Thank you, Miss Williams. Now, can we ask you a question. Did Kaylin talk about this with Coach Dalton?"

"Yes. We both did."

A second, perfectly coiffed member of the board spoke, her voice harsh. "And how did you know the Coach would be receptive to this, um, subject? Had she told you she was gay?"

Dani shook her head. "No, Paige did. She knew because her mom and Coach are dating. She made us promise to keep it to ourselves."

"And what did Coach Dalton do when you approached her?"

"She talked to us. Told us about what it was like for her, when she was our age. It was really nice, just to have someone to talk to. We'd felt so alone."

"She's lying! I would have known!" Mary Ann's voice sounded a lot less sure of itself now.

Another board member laughed, an older gentleman with a white beard and just a small ring of hair around his head. "I'm sure all of the members of the board and all of the adults in the room remember exactly how much of our social lives we shared with our parents when we were that age." That drew a chuckle from the assembly. The man leaned forward slightly. "What was the coach's advice, dear?"

"She told Kaylin to keep her head down until she finished high school. We knew what would happen if her parents found out. She was afraid of being sent away, she said her pastor had talked about some camp that makes people not gay anymore."

The faces of several members of the board hardened at the mention of the highly controversial subject. The older man's voice was harsh. "Is this the case, Mrs. Ellis?"

Her voice rose in defiance. "It's certainly something we're considering. Our daughter needs help! Can't you see that? Doesn't everyone see that?"